• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Saints post-match

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member

I couldn't watch the game live, as I had some work as it happens in a town called Southampton (the American one), so I actually ended up reading through the whole match thread while waiting for the recording of the full match to be uploaded. Some thoughts upon watching:
  • Saints were more open and attack-minded than I expected; particularly in the 1st half they pressed high in large groups and didn't care about compactness as much as I thought they would. It was a proper test and that's what our players needed; this is exactly the type of game and opponent that helps you to become better in the process. To finish the thought about Saints, I think they would improve immeasurably with a quality attacker in place of Shane Long; out of possession he's a pest, but so many of their moves found a dead end with him.
  • The high press was a test, but the way we played through it time and time again showed almost disgusting levels of confidence and swagger. No matter how many Saints players were on their tail, cutting off every possible passing lane, none of our players seemed rushed or flustered and we calmly sliced through the press time and time again. That's what happens when you don't have a weak link in the chain, a mediocre passer that the opponents can shepherd the play towards. I don't think many future opponents will watch this game and think they ought to use high press against us – on this evidence it can be a colossal investment of energy without much to show for it.
  • I agree with @Donavan_Ried that this has been one of Ox's best games for us. I really don't understand the criticism he received in the match thread in the first half – bar one bad giveaway (coming in that weird 5-minute patch right before half-time when the whole team bar Alisson seemed to lose their concentration), he was sharp, energetic and influential. And the opening goal he scored was obviously key to swinging the game in our favour. With all due respect, I don't think Origi's all-around game would have been up to scratch in a game like this, whereas Ox was one of the main contributors.
  • I think Fabinho is still at 70-75%, but this was already much better. We will definitely need him against Atletico, where the pattern will surely be what I originally expected against the Saints – trying to patiently find faults in a compact 4-4-2 block. Fabinho is a perfect DM for that.
  • Van Dijk and Alisson – what can anyone say that hasn't been said before? We're watching masters at work. And Gomez again showed why he's a perfect foil after a couple first-half lapses.
  • This was much more like the Salah of his first season – sharp, ruthless and unplayable. Saints restricted his time on the ball for a while, but whenever he did get possession, he did something useful with it. His passing notably improved and he once again had confidence to run into the forest of the defenders' legs and back himself to emerge with the ball. Denied a deserved hat-trick by an offside flag. On a related note, Firmino is back to enjoying his football again. The way they both stepped up in Mane's absence has been great to see, although in Mo's case I think being "the main man" in attack gives him extra motivation.
  • Quick run-down of other players' performances: I thought Robbo coped with the formidable challenge of Djenepo well, Trent was a bit hit-and-miss, Gini lost uncharacteristically too many midfield duels and was rushed in attack, Keita again had a strong cameo, Minamino still trying to find himself, Henderson once again sensational.

Last edited:
Agree with most of that. Don't agree their press was circumvented with ease. Yes most of the time but firmino tta and ox all gave the ball away under pressure which led to good chances for Southampton. Only takes 1 probably 2 chances to be taken to cause us trouble... Who am I kidding? They'd need to score at least 3 to have a sniff of a draw :D

That highlights video is blocked in Ireland

Has anyone got a clip of the disallowed Salah goal? I'm hearign great things about it, but MOTD didnt show it (did they? I was a bit pissed) and I cant find it on youtube

I think what's now become clear is that we've become masters of matching & just surpassing the level of the side we're playing.

Andy commented on WhatsApp the other day (correctly imo), that Fabinho ups his level against better sides, & if it were Barca instead of Shrewsbury he'd have been a boss.

Thing is, I think they all do that now. They expend just as much energy as they need to.

That's why that real test first half was really important, we'd become used to playing at a lower energy & skill level for a while, that match actually pushed & tested them, & second half they responded.

We'll need to do that same trick, only to a better level, against Atletico when we face them too.

We are extremelly well prepared for any opposition it seem (maybe not shrewsbury). We match their game and rediger their strenghts until we can start play out game . again we adjust slightly at half time and is the better team after the break.

Ox will be back on the bench as soon mane is fit, even with his goals. He not involved in the play, as much as our front 3 are involved in pretty much every attack. Fab is definite starter, hendo is undroppable on current form and wini just always play.

I couldn't watch the game live, as I had some work as it happens in a town called Southampton (the American one), so I actually ended up reading through the whole match thread while waiting for the recording of the full match to be uploaded. Some thoughts upon watching:
  • Saints were more open and attack-minded than I expected; particularly in the 1st half they pressed high in large groups and didn't care about compactness as much as I thought they would. It was a proper test and that's what our players needed; this is exactly the type of game and opponent that helps you to become better in the process. To finish the thought about Saints, I think they would improve immeasurably with a quality attacker in place of Shane Long; out of possession he's a pest, but so many of their moves found a dead end with him.
  • The high press was a test, but the way we played through it time and time again showed almost disgusting levels of confidence and swagger. No matter how many Saints players were on their tail, cutting off every possible passing lane, none of our players seemed rushed or flustered and we calmly sliced through the press time and time again. That's what happens when you don't have a weak link in the chain, a mediocre passer that the opponents can shepherd the play towards. I don't think many future opponents will watch this game and think they ought to use high press against us – on this evidence it can be a colossal investment of energy without much to show for it.
  • I agree with @Donavan_Ried that this has been one of Ox's best games for us. I really don't understand the criticism he received in the match thread in the first half – bar one bad giveaway (coming in that weird 5-minute patch right before half-time when the whole team bar Alisson seemed to lose their concentration), he was sharp, energetic and influential. And the opening goal he scored was obviously key to swinging the game in our favour. With all due respect, I don't think Origi's all-around game would have been up to scratch in a game like this, whereas Ox was one of the main contributors.
  • I think Fabinho is still at 70-75%, but this was already much better. We will definitely need him against Atletico, where the pattern will surely be what I originally expected against the Saints – trying to patiently find faults in a compact 4-4-2 block. Fabinho is a perfect DM for that.
  • Van Dijk and Alisson – what can anyone say that hasn't been said before? We're watching masters at work. And Gomez again showed why he's a perfect foil after a couple first-half lapses.
  • This was much more like the Salah of his first season – sharp, ruthless and unplayable. Saints restricted his time on the ball for a while, but whenever he did get possession, he did something useful with it. His passing notably improved and he once again had confidence to run into the forest of the defenders' legs and back himself to emerge with the ball. Denied a deserved hat-trick by an offside flag. On a related note, Firmino is back to enjoying his football again. The way the both stepped up in Mane's absence has been great to see, although in Mo's case I think being "the main man" in attack gives him extra motivation.
  • Quick run-down of other players' performances: I thought Robbo coped with the formidable challenge of Djenepo well, Trent was a bit hit-and-miss, Gini lost uncharacteristically too many midfield duels and was rushed in attack, Keita again had a strong cameo, Minamino still trying to find himself, Henderson once again sensational.

All I will say is, look at criticism (of a player) and look at goals.

22 points clear. I don't know whether to "wow" or "lol". HeeeeeeeEEEEEEEeeeerrrrRRRReeee's......the......RAAAAAAAAAAAATINGSSSSSSSS!

Done this cliche a few times this season, so maybe there's something in it? But that was very much a game of two halves. Southampton are a team transformed since that 9-0 humiliation, and as predicted, they came at us in a not too unconvincing facsimile of, well, us. They harried and pressed and were helped by some amazingly dozy Liverpool passing and poor defending, with Ings close on occasion. But they couldn't score and, in the second half, we showed them how to REALLY play like Liverpool, with Salah, Firmino and Henderson turning on the style as we simply destroyed them.

Alisson (7) Yet another clean sheet! After it looked like we had forgotten how to keep one, it's more weird when someone does manage to score. Made sure that our slapdash first half display wasn't punished by making two good stops and looking generally like a brick wall with a beard.

TAA (6) Given a testing time, especially in the first half, and the swirling winds made his deliveries a bit, er, unpredictable at best. Got better as we started to take control, but wasn't as influential as he normally is.

Gomez (5) Had a fucking nightmarish spell in the first half, when he looked half-cut; ponderous and unaware of danger, and we nearly got punished. Much improved in the second half - maybe he sobered up - but he can't play like that too often, even in short phases, otherwise he'll be in danger of losing his place (which i think he knows, hence the big improvement after the break).

Virgil (7) Oh, it would have been boss if that saucy little backheel had gone in. Pure quality. It didn't though, which is a shame.....er.....where was I? Oh yeah, he's a defender, and defended well. He always does. He's actually so good at defending he transcends the "he makes it look easy" cliches because he does actually find it easy. Always in the right place at the right time.

Robertson (6) Added to the unease with a stupid early pass that nearly cost us, but that seemed to give him enough of a kick up the arse that he didn't make another mistake, and his speed around the pitch made the dangerous Djneppo less effective than he can be. Lovely McMahon-esque determination to keep the ball alive for the opening goal. Another improved performance, and getting closer to is usual levels, hopefully the rest will do him a world of good.

Fabinho (5) Chopped into some nice tackles, as he sought to restore some order, but contributed to the malaise with some really dreadful passing and moments where he just couldn't get involved, as we struggled to get into our usual tempo. He was fortunate not to give away a pelanty, as he went down too eagerly and then flicked his leg out as Ings went past him. Kept Southampton more under control in the second half, but he needs to go up another few levels to where he was pre-injury, because that sort of uneven display isn't good enough.

Henderson (8) Was as furious and perplexed as the rest of us with the enervated first half, and was constantly trying to jump-start everyone else, with Fabinho one of a few who were getting deserved rollickings. Then he decided he may as well do it himself, with a display of inspirational quality; harrassed, chased, used the ball superbly, scored one, set another up with a wonderful first-time pass that eviscerated their defence. Boss.

Wijnaldum (5) He's never going to be a shouter or leader like Henderson or Virgil, so when the crowd and team needed him, he just couldn't deliver. He was hardly involved at all in the first half, and it was left to Henderson to fix things. Shit himself as usual when he got near their box, and despite improving - like almost everyone did - after half-time, this wasn't anywhere near his usual level. He even gave the ball away a few times!

Chamberlain (7) Coughed up the ball in a stupid position in that blighted first half, but that seemed to galvanise him, and he worked furiously hard after that; harrying and making countless runs inside to make space for others and drag their players out of position. Lovely finish to score the vital opener, after splendid work from Robbo and then Firmino on the left. Not convinced about him playing wide, he often looks lost, but then he often looks lost centrally too, but what he also often does is score goals.

Firmino (8) Barely touched the ball at the start, and was then denied an obvious pen when he went down (perhaps a little theatrically) to a WWE wrestling manoeuvre from Long on the goal-line. Seemed to take that quite badly, as he terrorised poor old Southampton after that, creating chance after chance after chance, they couldn't get the ball off him, and he wreaked havoc.

Salah (8) Couldn't get going for a while, apart from an early deflected effort, but as soon as Henderson, Chamberlain and Firmino started to make trouble, Salah joined in the fun, scampering around and popping up in dangerous positions like a football genie to wickedly devastating effect, scored two (although the second was a bit of a mess), had one disallowed, and set up another glorious chance near the end which Minamino fucked up.

Subs:

Keita (6) More game time as he replaced a tired Chamberlain. Set up Firmino and missed an easy chance
Minamino (n/a) Think he was only on for about 10 minutes. Missed a sitter.

Last edited:
That highlights video is blocked in Ireland

Has anyone got a clip of the disallowed Salah goal? I'm hearign great things about it, but MOTD didnt show it (did they? I was a bit pissed) and I cant find it on youtube
Found it - lovely move, shame about the "commentary"

Ox will be back on the bench as soon mane is fit, even with his goals. He not involved in the play, as much as our front 3 are involved in pretty much every attack..
I don't think anyone here would believe that AOC would start a head of Mane. But has now earnt the right to imo, with that performance to be concidered by Klopp to coming a head of Origi on the left has one of the front three

Last edited:
22 points clear. I don't know whether to "wow" or "lol". HeeeeeeeEEEEEEEeeeerrrrRRRReeee's......the......RAAAAAAAAAAAATINGSSSSSSSS!

Done this cliche a few times this season, so maybe there's something in it? But that was very much a game of two halves. Southampton are a team transformed since that 9-0 humiliation, and as predicted, they came at us in a not too unconvincing facsimile of, well, us. They harried and pressed and were helped by some amazingly dozy Liverpool passing and poor defending, with Ings close on occasion. But they couldn't score and, in the second half, we showed them how to REALLY play like Liverpool, with Salah, Firmino and Henderson turning on the style as we simply destroyed them.

Alisson (7) Yet another clean sheet! After it looked like we had forgotten how to keep one, it's more weird when someone does manage to score. Made sure that our slapdash first half display wasn't punished by making two good stops and looking generally like a brick wall with a beard.

TAA (6) Given a testing time, especially in the first half, and the swirling winds made his deliveries a bit, er, unpredictable at best. Got better as we started to take control, but wasn't as influential as he normally is.

Gomez (5) Had a fucking nightmarish spell in the first half, when he looked half-cut; ponderous and unaware of danger, and we nearly got punished. Much improved in the second half - maybe he sobered up - but he can't play like that too often, even in short phases, otherwise he'll be in danger of losing his place (which i think he knows, hence the big improvement after the break).

Virgil (7) Oh, it would have been boss if that saucy little backheel had gone in. Pure quality. It didn't though, which is a shame.....er.....where was I? Oh yeah, he's a defender, and defended well. He always does. He's actually so good at defending he transcends the "he makes it look easy" cliches because he does actually find it easy. Always in the right place at the right time.

Robertson (6) Added to the unease with a stupid early pass that nearly cost us, but that seemed to give him enough of a kick up the arse that he didn't make another mistake, and his speed around the pitch made the dangerous Djneppo less effective than he can be. Lovely McMahon-esque determination to keep the ball alive for the opening goal. Another improved performance, and getting closer to is usual levels, hopefully the rest will do him a world of good.

Fabinho (5) Chopped into some nice tackles, as he sought to restore some order, but contributed to the malaise with some really dreadful passing and moments where he just couldn't get involved, as we struggled to get into our usual tempo. He was fortunate not to give away a pelanty, as he went down too eagerly and then flicked his leg out as Ings went past him. Kept Southampton more under control in the second half, but he needs to go up another few levels to where he was pre-injury, because that sort of uneven display isn't good enough.

Henderson (8) Was as furious and perplexed as the rest of us with the enervated first half, and was constantly trying to jump-start everyone else, with Fabinho one of a few who were getting deserved rollickings. Then he decided he may as well do it himself, with a display of inspirational quality; harrassed, chased, used the ball superbly, scored one, set another up with a wonderful first-time pass that eviscerated their defence. Boss.

Wijnaldum (5) He's never going to be a shouter or leader like Henderson or Virgil, so when the crowd and team needed him, he just couldn't deliver. He was hardly involved at all in the first half, and it was left to Henderson to fix things. Shit himself as usual when he got near their box, and despite improving - like almost everyone did - after half-time, this wasn't anywhere near his usual level. He even gave the ball away a few times!

Chamberlain (7) Coughed up the ball in a stupid position in that blighted first half, but that seemed to galvanise him, and he worked furiously hard after that; harrying and making countless runs inside to make space for others and drag their players out of position. Lovely finish to score the vital opener, after splendid work from Robbo and then Firmino on the left. Not convinced about him playing wide, he often looks lost, but then he often looks lost centrally too, but what he also often does is score goals.

Firmino (8) Barely touched the ball at the start, and was then denied an obvious pen when he went down (perhaps a little theatrically) to a WWE wrestling manoeuvre from Long on the goal-line. Seemed to take that quite badly, as he terrorised poor old Southampton after that, creating chance after chance after chance, they couldn't get the ball off him, and he wreaked havoc.

Salah (8) Couldn't get going for a while, apart from an early deflected effort, but as soon as Henderson, Chamberlain and Firmino started to make trouble, Salah joined in the fun, scampering around and popping up in dangerous positions like a football genie to wickedly devastating effect, scored two (although the second was a bit of a mess), had one disallowed, and set up another glorious chance near the end which Minamino fucked up.

Subs:

Keita (6) More game time as he replaced a tired Chamberlain. Set up Firmino and missed an easy chance
Minamino (n/a) Think he was only on for about 10 minutes. Missed a sitter.
Enjoyed reading these. A bit harsh on some of the marks at the back I thought, but entertaining read - thanks.

I don't think anyone here would believe that AOC would start a head of Mane. But has now earnt the right to imo, with that performance to be concidered by Klopp to coming a head of Origi on the left has one of the front three
Mané is a genuinely world class footballer, and more often than not, is our best player. There are few players on the planet I’d rather have than him in that position.

if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom