• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Should we sign Bendtner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

the_khl

Moneyball question:

Would you go for Bendtner on the cheap for say £5M?

I know some of you probably loathe him too much to actually make a rational judgement but wouldn't it make sense in a moneyball kind of way?

I mean he's still quite young, has proven himself in the Prem and at Int. level and is arguably a better forward on the ground, despite his stature, than say Carroll. Would he be a decent back-up?

Serious question guys so be gentle with me eh.... :)

Moneyball question:

I know some of you probably loathe him too much to actually make a rational judgement but wouldn't it make sense in a moneyball kind of way?

I mean he's still quite young, has proven himself in the Prem and at Int. level and is arguably a better forward on the ground, despite his stature, than say Carroll. Would he be a decent back-up?

Have you ever advocated a siging that isnt Danish?

Did NOT make a thread about this, I am not CRAZY!

Anyways thanks for putting me in the spot here Trollco.

Part of Moneyball is to unearth stagnated talent and revitalize it. It's also about not spending big on already established stars as the theory then is that you'd often pay over the odds.

A 22-year-old Bendtner would've demanded a fee resembling to whatever we paid for Downing, Henderson etc. whereas a 25-year-old Bendtner after having endured his worst Season ever would cost no more than half of that, tops.

I watched him play for Juve and he actually did quite well, certainly not looking out of place and was about to make the spot alongside Vucinic his own. Then he got injured and then he got drunk and decided to drive and so on.

If you reckon the talent is there, and this is of course where we could disagree, then I believe this has moneyball written all over it.

His name is too similar to the word bender.

And for that reason, I'm out.

My first doubt will be, how can the moneyball or soccernomics thing work if he's only a bit-part player? The best thing is for him to take a step back and go to a club where he'll get regular football. Steve Bruce's back in the EPL and he signed him twice - Birmingham, Sunderland. Could be 3rd time lucky for both parties.

Where is the talent bit?
It's there. Well hidden at times, but it's there. Well at least imho.

Even fellow Danes disagree with me on this one mind and I have to admit he has not done himself any favors of late. He would have to come very cheap otherwise we should stay well clear, but I am curious to know if anyone would consider it then. £5M tops.

My first doubt will be, how can the moneyball or soccernomics thing work if he's only a bit-part player? The best thing is for him to take a step back and go to a club where he'll get regular football. Steve Bruce's back in the EPL and he signed him twice - Birmingham, Sunderland. Could be 3rd time lucky for both parties.
This is probably the sane way to address this, I pretty much agree. I think he'll end up in Germany though. Or perhaps back in Sunderland.

It's there. Well hidden at times, but it's there. Well at least imho.

Even fellow Danes disagree with me on this one mind and I have to admit he has not done himself any favors of late. He would have to come very cheap otherwise we should stay well clear, but I am curious to know if anyone would consider it then. £5M tops.
He scores about 1 in 5. Not much better than the mighty Ngog that.

He scores about 1 in 5. Not much better than the mighty Ngog that.
His English club record is:

238 games and 66 goals. That's about one in every 3.5 game. I am not saying that is impressive but he started out as a 17-year-old for Birmingham before moving back to Arsenal where he often played out of position on the wing.

He has scored 22 goals in 55 apps for Denmark where he plays as targetman.

Don't know N'Gog's stats but I don't think they are comparable to be honest, literally playing in different leagues.

Moneyball question:

Not for £5m.
Maybe if they gave us £10m I would consider it.

The international stats are not bad at all but he is still not good enough. I think you should start a thread about Andreas Cornelius instead as he looks much better.

Why? Do we need four strikers?
Yes. And I am not even sure we've got three as it is.

Anyways perhaps I am alone thinking we'd be in a tight spot without ONE single forward capable of winning headers. I know we are meant to be playing on the ground and I dig that totally but this is the Premiership and some points will be won in scrappy games because someone wins a physical battle at the Brittania Stadium. If not Agger or his CB partner who else? Borini? Coutinho? Lucas? Sturridge?

I don't think it'll be Bendtner and it would be a risky bet too, but I think it's dangerous to not even have a physical forward option in the team at all.

The international stats are not bad at all but he is still not good enough. I think you should start a thread about Andreas Cornelius instead as he looks much better.
For what it's worth... I DID NOT START THIS THREAD!

Yeah you are right with Cornelius but he needs another Season in Copenhagen imo.

I'd sign him on a free and loan him out to clubs for a 'loan-fee' of a pint of beer and a packet of dry roasted nuts, does that count ?

Otherwise, no.

Let it go, Kris.
I am not sure what you ask me to let go, I am not trying to convince anybody we should sign Bendtner, merely a simple question I asked in another thread trying to get your views on the deal in a moneyball context.

Actually when thinking about it I asked the question in the exact RIGHT thread too, the next Coutinho/Sturrdige one, but Ross needed a bit of action apparently. And he got it.

*letting it go*

For me Bendtner is an average player. And I believe average players have a three year window usually in their late twenties where they peak.

So I wouldn't totally dismiss the idea.

There's a video on youtube called: All Bendtner's Juve goals... made me lol.

There are goals in this video that none of our current players would be capable of scoring. All I am saying is, we could use a big targetman in the squad.

For me Bendtner is an average player. And I believe average players have a three year window usually in their late twenties where they peak.

So I wouldn't totally dismiss the idea.
Hahahaha You dont half talk some shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom