• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match Southampton (H) - FA Cup - Wed 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nunez offers alot more threat without goals than Gapko does, he was poor last night apart from one or two moments. Nunez causes problems all over the pitch when he plays. Gapko doesn't get a "poor" rating for missing shots (though last nights were really poor), he gets it for generally not being that good. I want him to come good, he's chipped in with a reasonable amount of goals, but he's distinctly average compared to everyone else upfront and he was the same last night next to kids. That's why he's currently 5th choice when everyone's fit.

As for the Greek and Elliott, they both had good games overall, I agree Elliott was poor in the first half, but he was excellent in the second half and set up the second goal. Tsimikas generally defended and supported well.

It's not about what Nunez does in most matches or Gakpo overall (I'm in agreement, he is #5 in the pecking order and for a reason) but what he did last night (and after playing most of the LC final).

Clearly I'm not that 'polarising and biased' (the fact you see it that way probably says more about you than my opinion) seeing as so many other sites are pretty close to my ratings for Tsimikas (6) and Gakpo (6.5).

Ratings around the web that were close to mine (Gakpo generally lower quoting missed chances) though of course there are others that differ but this is just to highlight that my opinion is not exactly an outlier :

Gakpo 6 (TIA), 6 (Sky), 6 (Echo), 6 (90 mins), 6 (Liverpoolworld), 6 (Goal), 6.67 (BBC), 7 (Fotmob stats - one of the best stats sites)

Tsimi 6 (Liverpoolworld), 6 (onefootball), 7 (TIA - their next lowest), (7 - their next lowest), 7 (Echo), 6 (90 mins), 6.89 (BBC - 3rd to bottom), 6 (Goal), TIA Readers (6.8), 7.9 (Fotmob stats), 6 (EPL index)

Gakpo and Tsimikas bottom two in the RedmenTV rankings.

Last edited:
It's not about what Nunez does in most matches or Gakpo overall (I'm in agreement, he is #5 in the pecking order and for a reason) but what he did last night (and after playing most of the LC final).

Clearly I'm not that 'polarising and biased' (the fact you see it that way probably says more about you than my opinion) seeing as so many other sites are pretty close to my ratings for Tsimikas (6) and Gakpo (6.5).

Ratings around the web that were close to mine (Gakpo generally lower quoting missed chances) though of course there are others that differ but this is just to highlight that my opinion is not exactly an outlier :

Gakpo 6 (TIA), 6 (Sky), 6 (Echo), 6 (90 mins), 6 (Liverpoolworld), 6 (Goal), 6.67 (BBC), 7 (Fotmob stats - one of the best stats sites)

Tsimi 6 (Liverpoolworld), 6 (onefootball), 7 (TIA - their next lowest), (7 - their next lowest), 7 (Echo), 6 (90 mins), 6.89 (BBC - 3rd to bottom), 6 (Goal), TIA Readers (6.8), 7.9 (Fotmob stats), 6 (EPL index)

Gakpo and Tsimikas bottom two in the RedmenTV rankings.

I think you have fixed thoughts on players and that pretty much sways your opinions of them. We've been here with other players, Tsimikas had a good game. He didn't do anything outstanding which is probably why he's had average ratings, but he wasn't poor or average, he defended well and supported well - job done. He's reliable and a good player, he performed well.

As for Gapko, you say it's not about what he does overall, but then cite the fact he played the final - are you judging him on last night or citing other factors? He clearly wasn't a "2" but then you happily gave other players lower ratings or level ratings who were clearly either better or contributed to the win. Elliott is another, the same level of performance as Gapko? Tsimikas gets a "meh", and Gapko gets an extra 0.5 score for "lots of running" - pretty much the prerequisite of a footballer, let alone one in this team (and besides that, the Greek did "lots of running" too!). Come on Froggy.

BBC rating has Nyoni and Mac higher than Kelleher and Quansah, come on now.....

Fotmob has Kostas as our best defender....

Echo has Gomez 2 ratings higher than Van Dijk

These are why you pay no attention to web based ratings, there is no sense behind any of it. This isn't even subjective, it's just plain wrong. Wronger than a wrongun from wrongtown.

BBC rating has Nyoni and Mac higher than Kelleher and Quansah, come on now.....

Fotmob has Kostas as our best defender....

Echo has Gomez 2 ratings higher than Van Dijk

These are why you pay no attention to web based ratings, there is no sense behind any of it. This isn't even subjective, it's just plain wrong. Wronger than a wrongun from wrongtown.
There's zero sense in you giving Gakpo a 2 or a 3. And you're calling out others?

Nobody and no site is going to see it exactly the same. Everybody has biases. Everyone.

Last edited:
I might have been projecting but Gakpo did look a bit frustrated or at least wanted to score (judging by the few attempts where he shot instead of playing an obvious pass). Must be annoying failing to score with the kids grabbing the goals around you.

Gakpo is a good squad player in many ways as he can (or is at least willing to) play in multiple positions, works hard for the team and is generally fairly tidy. Is it good enough in the long run? I guess it depends on who else we have available and whether we end up relying on him too much.

I think you have fixed thoughts on players and that pretty much sways your opinions of them. We've been here with other players, Tsimikas had a good game. He didn't do anything outstanding which is probably why he's had average ratings, but he wasn't poor or average, he defended well and supported well - job done. He's reliable and a good player, he performed well.

As for Gapko, you say it's not about what he does overall, but then cite the fact he played the final - are you judging him on last night or citing other factors? He clearly wasn't a "2" but then you happily gave other players lower ratings or level ratings who were clearly either better or contributed to the win. Elliott is another, the same level of performance as Gapko? Tsimikas gets a "meh", and Gapko gets an extra 0.5 score for "lots of running" - pretty much the prerequisite of a footballer, let alone one in this team (and besides that, the Greek did "lots of running" too!). Come on Froggy.
That may be what you think but you'd be wrong. Slight biases? Of course, everyone has them - including you.

Early days I loved Tsimikas - for me, for whatever reason, he's declined of late. I didn't say he had a bad game. 6/10 is an average game that quite a few other sites agreed with.

Elliott - I was an early critic, my opinion has changed and it's reflected in my recent praise in his better games.

Endo - though like everyone else I wasn't convinced when we first bought him I'm onboard with most everyone else now (except when I'm winding up Binomial).

Robbo - loved him for years, but he's in decline as most would agree.

Gakpo - I still think he's better than most give credit for, though inconsistent.

As for those I've always liked and supported but who have received a mixed reception on here (Gomez, Nunez, Diaz, Kelleher) I think most have come around to a similar opinion.

Is there anyone else you think I have it in for?

As for Elliott yesterday. I said he had a very good second half but he almost cost us a goal in that first 20 mins when he ran infield from the RW and promptly lost the ball and then fell over ... he did give the ball away too much in the first half.

Last edited:
There's zero sense in you giving Gakpo a 2 or a 3. And you're calling out others?

Nobody and no site is going to see it exactly the same. Everybody has biases. Everyone.
I know, only do it for dramatic effects. Should've really made it a minus rating but nonetheless easily the worst player on the park. My reasonings aren't dramatic however, he literally did nothing other than to give me a headache from his woeful shooting.

You're giving your ratings being influenced by all these other ratings like they somehow make sense, otherwise why else bring them all up on here and then use it to somehow validate your own? Come on Froggy.

Last edited:
I saw the second half and thought Gakpo looked good. We're not playing to his strength but regardless he adds value to the team.
This is a game Klopp didn't care about, it was his suicide squad he sent out, and in the 2nd half they clicked. So no one gets less than a 7/10 performance from me.

I know, only do it for dramatic effects. Should've really made it a minus rating but nonetheless easily the worst player on the park. My reasonings aren't dramatic however, he literally did nothing other than to give me a headache from his woeful shooting.

You're giving your ratings being influenced by all these other ratings like they somehow make sense, otherwise why else bring them all up on here and then use it to somehow validate your own? Come on Froggy.
I'm bringing them up (I didn't quote other sites when I posted my ratings did I?) because I was called out on some of my ratings being unrealistic - whereas in fact plenty of other sites actually agreed with me. Shocker.

That's because he doesn't fucking have any!
Yes he does.... he is a decent squad option. The club is doing really well, I see no reason to shit on a player who has contributed to that success. Yes, he needs to improve but he has proven his money worth

I'm bringing them up (I didn't quote other sites when I posted my ratings did I?) because I was called out on them being unrealistic - whereas plenty of other sites actually agreed with me. Shocker.
Only 1 or 2 were unrealistic for me, don't know about anyone else. On the whole, generally good ratings but leave me with the league games!!

To give someone a higher rating over a guy who scored our first, despite him missing 3 big chances and making a show of himself in the box by trying to be too clever in his decision making is senseless, if that was Nunez last night everyone's calling him a cunt, rating him a 2 and probably telling his mother to die (*cough* Fabio *cough*).

How on Earth is there so much negativity in this thread? We played our kids against a team flying high in their league at the moment and won 3-0.

Wow. And on the back of a historic cup win.

How on Earth is there so much negativity in this thread? We played our kids against a team flying high in their league at the moment and won 3-0.

Wow. And on the back of a historic cup win.
Because nicey nice = boring and negativity = fun

It's not all negative mind, once that settles we go back to raving about Danns being the next Haaland, Quansah a Virgil regen and Kelleher the greatest ginger cunt of all time.

Who the fuck wants nuance in post match ratings? Boring fucks.

Last night gakpo was a 6, maybe a 5. Mostly wasted chances and didn't really do anything of note until a 30 yard run near the end (which he promptly ruined with a poor effort)
Tsimi wasn't particularly creative, and had a little trouble with their fullback; but that's because they play quick wide football. He was average. A 6.

Was tsimi better than gakpo? For me, yes. Was he particularly great? No.

But who gives a shit? Genuinely?

Only 1 or 2 were unrealistic for me, don't know about anyone else. On the whole, generally good ratings but leave me with the league games!!

To give someone a higher rating over a guy who scored our first, despite him missing 3 big chances and making a show of himself in the box by trying to be too clever in his decision making is senseless, if that was Nunez last night everyone's calling him a cunt, rating him a 2 and probably telling his mother to die (*cough* Fabio *cough*).
Again, it's diaz' mother who I'd want to die (though I've not made that particular threat yet)

Gakpo has 16 goal contributions in 34 games. He's played as a CF, RW, LW and CM. As a CF he has 9 goals in 18 games. Its quite obvious that he is a good player but even more importantly an excellent squad player.
A leader and a player you can move around during games or bring of the bench in multiple positions.
His versatility also works against him in that he might not get regular starts but overall a great player to have in the squad.

Gakpos getting an easy ride considering his finishing is probably as bad as Nunez, but offers fucking tons less off the ball

Haha come on Koumas was very lucky with his goal and did nothing else of note all game. The least impressive of our debutants. Still happy for him.

BTW we used to have a Ratings thread on here every week (Brendan's were hilarious). Pity we no longer do - so sorry no exclusivity permitted (unless you're going to give a decent backhander) !

Gakpo has 16 goal contributions in 34 games. He's played as a CF, RW, LW and CM. As a CF he has 9 goals in 18 games. Its quite obvious that he is a good player but even more importantly an excellent squad player.
A leader and a player you can move around during games or bring of the bench in multiple positions.
His versatility also works against him in that he might not get regular starts but overall a great player to have in the squad.
He's definitely a valuably squad player, primarily due to his versatility. I do wish he'd impose himself more on games though

Haha come on Koumas was very lucky with his goal and did nothing else of note all game. The least impressive of our debutants. Still happy for him.

BTW we used to have a Ratings thread on here every week (Brendan's were hilarious). Pity we no longer do - so sorry no exclusivity permitted (unless you're going to give a decent backhander) !
Ratings can be useful even if it's just there for people to reflect back on.

I really want to know if Markovic was having a good game against Basel before the sending off, can't remember if he was or not.

Nah mate, everyone obviously loves and appreciates what the team was able to do despite the injury crisis in the last few games. But in truth we also had a bit of luck on our side wtih opponents missing good chances and luck can change on a whim and emotion and adrenaline wear off quickly too. You can tell Klopp is concerned with the state of the team despite our great results - we’re winning, but we’re also a hair’s breadth from this train going off the rails.
This +1.

High risk strategy atm in a quest to win it all.
Highly unlikely to be successful but you never know in football.

Or, we could be well on the way to the quad that you don't want to go for.
Of course we could but the percentage play is to concentrate on the league. Spread ourselves too thin and we run a high risk of losing them all.

A second league title for Klopp and us fans would be amazing. Giving ourselves the best possible chance (even if it means binning off two cups) is what we should be doing.

Quick Ratings

Kelleher : 9 - again, distribution and saves very impressive
Tsimikas - 6 - corners aside, meh.
VvD - 8 - imperious
Quansah - 7 - excellent
Bradley - 7 - first half he made quite a few errors (5 for that) but much better in the second, esp. after Macca came on
Gomez - 7 - never played #6 before, he went AWOL at times in the first but was involved all game, dominated their midfield for the second half.
McDonnell - 6 - trudged around, seems to lack pace, quite a few errors today. Maybe still tired from the weekend.
Clark - 7.5 - impressed me all night
Elliott - 6.5 - off his game first half much better in the second
Koumas - 6 - got his goal so good on the lad
Gakpo - 6.5 - lots of running and leading by example but damn his shooting boots were back in the dressing room.

Subs
Macca - 7 - oozed class.
Danns - 10 - man what a game for him !
Nyoni - 6- no time to impress, lost possession twice a little too easily as he's not used to this level
Konate - 8 - excellent +
Gordon - N/A - good to see him back on the pitch !
Liked and agreed to most of your assestment, excpet that of Gomez. It is not the point that he has never played the #6 role before, he could have put more effort into protecting the back four, even Ally Mccoist commented on it early in the first half, and nothing really change the whole game in that respect. he was lackadaisical in his approach in protecting the back four.
For this reason Gomez get a 5 for me

Of course we could but the percentage play is to concentrate on the league. Spread ourselves too thin and we run a high risk of losing them all.

A second league title for Klopp and us fans would be amazing. Giving ourselves the best possible chance (even if it means binning off two cups) is what we should be doing.
I think Klopp is being as pragmatic as possible in this respect. He protected all of our starting midfielders yesterday starting 2 kids and Gomez in midfield. Konate and Virg had a half each. I don't know how much more he could have done in that game to say, I'm not going to risk my big dogs in this game.

From that Saints' site :

Hilarious Sulemana thinks he's PL quality.

Alternatively, here comes the inevitable 'just before halftime' goal... (he was right)

Great save from Joanna (Lumley)

That’s a bloody excellent save, even better than it looked. (from Elliott)

We had our chances. They had no problems putting together a decent move, and that early hit beats us.

That’s what happens when you have a confident, first time, instinctive shot. You make your own luck, to an extent.

Fantastic possession stats. Everyone in World delighted that Scousers are ahead. What’s not to like?

Decent first half, albeit against their 3rd team, or whatever it is...

-------

Looks like van Dijk coming off for Konate, so they're even a little bit further weaker (little does he know)

Just braindead football from the entire front 3 all night

Konate is too good. The ref should have a word. Sule in his pocket.

Police would like to announce that Mara has been found, and he's out of position in the middle.

Nothing short of embarrassing this, it’s a bunch of kids

Jesus Christ - How did Charles miss. Appalling miss by a professional footballer (about 20 posts of this ilk. However actually this was the miss everyone was saying he should have scored - but it was well offside, at least one of their fans noticed it - I'll post the pic up after this).

Bald head 0, big hair 1

We've tried tonight but ultimately our players aren't a match for Liverpool as expected

Liverpool bringing on an 8 year old to properly take the piss.

Annoying that tater saying Martin will be delighted with our performance. We're miles off our own expectations.

We had possession for nearly 2 seconds there

Smallbone trying to undress Gapko as he went by him?

Gakpo v smallbone is like the ‘come and see what you could have won’ moment in bullseye!

3-0, time to switch channels and watch a re run of the clangers.

As always in a prem v champ game the difference was the finishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom