• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match Southampton (H) - FA Cup - Wed 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
This game is going to divide fans I feel. The squad is decimated. For me - play kids and the odd fit squad but not starting player. Southampton are actually in a bad run of form, so that is nice timing.

I want to see every kid who played their heart out yesterday get that starting call up.

We have 6 games in three weeks before the break, with three of these being PL games. I hope we use the kids wisely (and a lot - including in the EL)

For me it is below - with my only concern on Bradders as we may need him a lot over the coming games, but he's fit.

Kelleher

Bradley
Gomez
Quansah
Tsimikas

McConnell
Clark
Nyoni

Gordon
Danns
Koumas

There are good shouts for Endo, Macca & Elliot but we need these folks firing for PL and possibly even EL if we decide to really put the squad through the ringer.

My rage for seeing any of Virgil, Konate, Robbo, Endo, Macca, Elliot, Gakpo or Diaz on the pitch for this game will be sky high.

Yeah that's basically the team I posted in another thread.
However, I think a few more senior players will be involved, on the bench and on the pitch.
I'm hoping to see Szobo, Salah and Nunez

Last edited:
This game is going to divide fans I feel. The squad is decimated. For me - play kids and the odd fit squad but not starting player. Southampton are actually in a bad run of form, so that is nice timing.

I want to see every kid who played their heart out yesterday get that starting call up.

We have 6 games in three weeks before the break, with three of these being PL games. I hope we use the kids wisely (and a lot - including in the EL)

For me it is below - with my only concern on Bradders as we may need him a lot over the coming games, but he's fit.

Kelleher

Bradley
Gomez
Quansah
Tsimikas

McConnell
Clark
Nyoni

Gordon
Danns
Koumas

There are good shouts for Endo, Macca & Elliot but we need these folks firing for PL and possibly even EL if we decide to really put the squad through the ringer.

My rage for seeing any of Virgil, Konate, Robbo, Endo, Macca, Elliot, Gakpo or Diaz on the pitch for this game will be sky high.
Konate missed the Luton match, Robbo only played 30 mins vs Luton and 90 vs Chelsea (though Tsimi should start), Elliott has run his guts out but had only 14 mins vs Brentford and is 20 years old with 3 days to recover, Gakpo could start (50-100-93 mins over last 3 games) and come off after 45 mins.

Yeah that's basically the team I posted in another thread.
However, I think a few more senior players will be involved. On the bench and on the pitch.
I'm hoping to see Szobo, Salah and Nunez

It would be great to be in a position to have those on the bench.

Klopp is hopefully looking at the Forest game and realising he probably needs same starting line up as the cup except Clark in mid (and not rush Szobo back) and one of Nunez or Salah starting with Gakpo & Diaz.

In my eyes we have 3 important games in the next 3 weeks... and 3 very unimportant games that we need to de-prioritise now that what should have been majority of our 'cup squad' is our PL squad.

Konate missed the Luton match, Robbo only played 30 mins vs Luton and 90 vs Chelsea (though Tsimi should start), Elliott has run his guts out but had only 14 mins vs Brentford and is 20 years old with 3 days to recover, Gakpo could start (50-100-93 mins over last 3 games) and come off after 45 mins.

Your points would make sense if we didn't have games thick and fast. However you are obviously welcome to value an FA Cup run higher than a PL title chase - each to their own!

For Southampton (who are flying in the Championship) :

The young lads will be well up for it. Adrenaline pump for sure once they put a foot on the Anfield turf. We can give Gomez+Konate 45 mins each (they've each played roughly just over half the minutes VvD has this season), they'll get that anyway in training.

Ditto Gakpo who has just over 1,000 mins so far this season (50% of some). Elliott has only 660 mins and he's 20 years old - he'll deffo be good to start.

Endo is our Duracell Bunny (and under a 1,000 mins) - give him 45-60 mins then McConnell can come on or vice versa or leave McConnell on if all is going well.

Mo. will get minutes. Either he starts for 45-60 mins or comes on after 60 mins. Maybe Nunez too for 20-30 mins.

I can see Klopp starting with a younger team and bringing on more experienced players if we're not winning.

Kelleher

Bradley
Gomez
Quansah
Tsimikas

Elliott
McConnell
Clark

Gordon
Danns
Gakpo

Reactions: mom
Your points would make sense if we didn't have games thick and fast. However you are obviously welcome to value an FA Cup run higher than a PL title chase - each to their own!
You may need to tell that to Klopp after you see the starting lineup. Klopp has only once ever put out such a weak team - when we were in the WCC. He won't play a weak team and we all know it.

I agree with most of that, but it depends on how close Don, Darwin & Mo are to returning & how Gravy looks.

Agree with the keeper & defence.

McConnell & Clark deserve a start, but I’d want someone with experience in there, so Mac A plays for me.

Up front, no way Diaz should play, but Gakpo should, particularly if Nunez & Mo are back for the next league game.

50/50 on The Boy starting - he should have the stamina to recover and play in on Wednesday.

Momentum is important - the belief that they can keep going and overcome is important - a home defeat in the cup to a lower league team could sow the seeds of doubt - so depending on the time frame for getting a few players back I’d go with as strong a team as I could.

This isn’t the game for Nyoni, Kuomas or Danna to start - Gordon, maybe if he’s still alive. By all means get them n in the second half if we can.

I agree with most of that, but it depends on how close Don, Darwin & Mo are to returning & how Gravy looks.

Agree with the keeper & defence.

McConnell & Clark deserve a start, but I’d want someone with experience in there, so Mac A plays for me.

Up front, no way Diaz should play, but Gakpo should, particularly if Nunez & Mo are back for the next league game.

50/50 on The Boy starting - he should have the stamina to recover and play in on Wednesday.

Momentum is important - the belief that they can keep going and overcome is important - a home defeat in the cup to a lower league team could sow the seeds of doubt - so depending on the time frame for getting a few players back I’d go with as strong a team as I could.

This isn’t the game for Nyoni, Kuomas or Danna to start - Gordon, maybe if he’s still alive. By all means get them n in the second half if we can.
Didn't Klopp say Gravy looked like ligament damage? Can't see him returning for 6-8 weeks if that's the case.

The young lads will be well up for it. Adrenaline pump for sure once they put a foot on the Anfield turf. We can give Gomez+Konate 45 mins each (they've each played roughly just over half the minutes VvD has this season), they'll get that anyway in training.

Ditto Gakpo who has just over 1,000 mins so far this season (50% of some). Elliott has only 660 mins and he's 20 years old - he'll deffo be good to start.

Endo is our Duracell Bunny (and under a 1,000 mins) - give him 45-60 mins then McConnell can come on or vice versa or leave McConnell on if all is going well.

Mo. will get minutes. Either he starts for 45-60 mins or comes on after 60 mins. Maybe Nunez too for 20-30 mins.

I can see Klopp starting with a younger team and bringing on more experienced players if we're not winning.

Kelleher

Bradley
Gomez
Quansah
Tsimikas

Elliott
McConnell
Clark

Gordon
Danns
Gakpo
We could alternatively play Robbo at RB, Bradders at RM and Elliott at RW. Can't see it though, too much tinkering.

Kelleher

Bradley
Gomez
Quansah
Tsimikas

Elliott
McConnell
Clark

Gordon
Danns
Gakpo

Southampton have lost 3 of their last 5 games and slipped down to 4th, they won't make automatic promotion. This may not be their priority either

Kelleher

Bradley
Quansah
Gomez
Tsimikas

Clark
Mac Allister
 McConnell

Gakpo
Danns
Elliott

That still feels a little light to me, but I can't think of anyone else.

I don't think Salah, Szoboszlai or Nunez will start but hopefully will all be back on the bench.

I obviously want us to go through but we are where we are with injuries and the FA Cup has to be lowest priority right now.

Southampton have lost 3 of their last 5 games and slipped down to 4th, they won't make automatic promotion. This may not be their priority either
Oh I missed that (lost 3 of their last 4 games). Then fingers crossed they don't go full strength.

Didn't Klopp say Gravy looked like ligament damage? Can't see him returning for 6-8 weeks if that's the case.

No idea - haven’t heard anything yet - but that’s probably right.

Nunez, Salah and Dom could need a 30 min run out in this game to get some fitness back.

Russell went with a pretty young side for their replay with Watford, whether he goes with that many changes again only time will tell.

Someone alluded to yesterday the added importance of getting through this game, being the Everton game gets pushed back until after the intl break.

Sure the FA cup comes last in the priority list but it's still a piece of the jigsaw we need to complete a historical quadruple so for these 2 reasons I'm less inclined to go with a full u21 side.

My XI - Kelleher Bradley Gomez Quansah Kostas Mcconnell Nyoni Mac Gordon Gakpo Koumas

If Salah, Nunez, Dom ready for the bench I'd be giving them 25-30 mins each too.

Nunez, Salah and Dom could need a 30 min run out in this game to get some fitness back.

I'm going off the assumption that both Nunez and Dom can play 45.

So I'd start with

Kelleher

Bradley
Gomez
Quansah
Tsimikas

Mac Allister
Clark
Szoboslai (45)

Gakpo
Nunez (45)
Danns

Try and kill the game early then bring in some kids.

Winning a cup final with extra time takes more out of you than a normal Sunday game.
Rest everyone that we can who started.
It’s not about who might be able to play this. It’s about having a team ready for the two big league games.
The FA Cup and the EL can fuck off at this stage.
With Trent still in a knee brace we must protect Bradley.

Winning a cup final with extra time takes more out of you than a normal Sunday game.
It’s not about who might be able to play this. It’s about having a team ready for the two big league games.

This is the way.

Someone alluded to yesterday the added importance of getting through this game, being the Everton game gets pushed back until after the intl break.

Sure the FA cup comes last in the priority list but it's still a piece of the jigsaw we need to complete a historical quadruple so for these 2 reasons I'm less inclined to go with a full u21 side.
There is an additional bonus to beating Southampton other than progress in the FA Cup in that our game away to Everton in the league would be postponed to after the International break at which point we should have a good few of the currently injured players available
Yes The Count posted it. Could be a very important factor.

Strong bench, kids to start.

I'd like to win, but tbh this is now third on my priority list

Personally I'd love to see danns, Clark, McConnell all start. Maybe Gordon but I'm not sold on that yet. I'd like to see koumas get some minutes. Nyoni should either start Or get 30 minutes if we're winning. Shame we've not got another right back to give Bradley a rest, so he might have to start.

To be fair. My team includes outfield players who were subbed in normal time. Plus Gomez who played the equivalent of 90 minutes moving to CB.

I get the point in protecting Bradley. But fuck it.. I want the quad.

And as The Count said.. the Everton game moves if we win.

So that's an incentive.

To be fair. My team includes outfield players who were subbed in normal time. Plus Gomez who played the equivalent of 90 minutes moving to CB.

I get the point in protecting Bradley. But fuck it.. I want the quad.

And as The Count said.. the Everton game moves if we win.

So that's an incentive.
Even a chance at the league > other 2 cups.
We went for it all 2 years ago and fell short because we were knackered and lost confidence.
Protect the players at all costs.

Seemingly Szoboszlai declared himself fit for the game yesterday but the medical team said he needed a few more days training.
I expect both Mo and Nunez to get some minutes as well with Nunez getting the most as he hasn't been out long to improve their match fitness ahead of the game against Forest at the weekend

Last edited:
One positive is that Forest play United on Wednesday. They’re in a bad run and also won’t be able to rest too many, which might be a leveller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom