• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Southampton v Liverpool - Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the taking risks aspect ... we simply weren't getting enough people into the box. Often it was only 2 or 3 vs 6 when the final ball went in.

This is really frustrating, our front 3 are all individually great but you wouldnt really back any of them to dominate a CB and win a header. When teams sit back and invite us to bombard them with high balls we need more runners from midfield because even if they dont win the header the 2nd ball is often a goalscoring opportunity.

I laughed when I saw Allison sprinting up for a corner in the 90th min, as fucking if. Too little urgency, too late in the game. I assumed Ox was put in to take on opportunities and maybe have a few cracks from distance. The only thing he cracked was the idea that he still has something to offer the team.

On the taking risks aspect ... we simply weren't getting enough people into the box. Often it was only 2 or 3 vs 6 when the final ball went in.

That was really frustrating – there were a few times Robbo or Mane got to the byline and pulled the ball back or had their cross deflected and there were no Liverpool players whatsoever around the penalty spot or edge of the area to capitalize. It's as if the front 3 played on their own and midfielders didn't think it was their job to provide any attacking support. Ox and later Gini or Thiago should have lived in those areas, particularly in the 2nd half.

I didn't think we were that bad. Or rather, we've been far more shit in many games we've won.

We were very average in the first half. Better in the second half. Needed a bit of luck, bit of magic but it was the tepid first half and the ridiculous high line for the free kick. Not hard for teams to get the drop on us with that tactic and Ings finished it well.

Few were off blob. Been a grinding 2 years and a dip in form is not really surprising.No need to hit the panic button just yet. We might need to dip into the market with Matip getting injured as well. Jota was a big blow as the boss was able to rest one of the front 3.And he was bought to do that and compete for a place. Going to be up and down in terms of form. Given the injuries holding on to top will be very difficult. Hard season in the offing.

Last edited:
We didn’t even seem to play passing moves around their area to try and draw fouls. Not once I felt we had a free kick where I thought we could have a go.

Oh what bollocks. Is that why half this forum were saying .. it always takes him a few games to get back up to speed? You asked why he was taken off - for giving the ball away a PL record 38 times in just 65 mins, not even a full match ! That's 38 times we had to recover it.

It's not bollocks. We ARE better with him down the right.His crossing was no worse than Robbo's although you seem to be the stats nerd around here. He wasn't at his best I admit but he is still the best option overlapping. And I know why the Boss took him off...I just did not agree for the reasons I have stated.

TAA has been poor for weeks, and has not improved the defensive side of his game anywhere near what we might have hoped or expected. He continues to make the same positional mistakes and basic defending errors as he did 2 years ago.

Over the last two seasons we’ve not been bothered by his defensive lapses because we know his attacking returns. Right now we aren’t getting those returns.

That was really frustrating – there were a few times Robbo or Mane got to the byline and pulled the ball back or had their cross deflected and there were no Liverpool players whatsoever around the penalty spot or edge of the area to capitalize. It's as if the front 3 played on their own and midfielders didn't think it was their job to provide any attacking support. Ox and later Gini or Thiago should have lived in those areas, particularly in the 2nd half.

One of the benefits of an established pattern of play is that everybody in the team knows whats happening, one of the drawbacks is good opposing managers know it too. Opponents know that they can sit deep and narrow, force us wide and let us hit crosses, its a really low percentage startegy for us. Our midfielders dont hang back because they are shy, they rarely get into the box because our fullbacks are so far forward we are holding them back as defensive cover.

I think the lack of variation in our play has made us easier to cancel out. Opponents know we dont shoot from distance, we dont have anybody who is going to dominate their CBs in the air and we wont flood the box with midfield runners.

Its getting to the point where teams would be negligent not to take this approach against us because our front 3 are nout suited to play against that system and Klopp clearly doesnt have any idea how to break it down.

One of the benefits of an established pattern of play is that everybody in the team knows whats happening, one of the drawbacks is good opposing managers know it too. Opponents know that they can sit deep and narrow, force us wide and let us hit crosses, its a really low percentage startegy for us. Our midfielders dont hang back because they are shy, they rarely get into the box because our fullbacks are so far forward we are holding them back as defensive cover.

I think the lack of variation in our play has made us easier to cancel out. Opponents know we dont shoot from distance, we dont have anybody who is going to dominate their CBs in the air and we wont flood the box with midfield runners.

Its getting to the point where teams would be negligent not to take this approach against us because our front 3 are nout suited to play against that system and Klopp clearly doesnt have any idea how to break it down.

That's not fair on the Boss and it's not very insightful. We have plenty of variation and it won us the league and took us to the top this season. Fact is we were up against it in the second half due to a sloppy start. Teams have been sitting deep for years and years against us...but we do break them down and we do it consistently. Injuries have played a massive part so far. The defense has been shattered. Plenty have had a pop at TAA...so he wasn't great tonight but Mo wasn't there half the time to take a pass, played alongside Hendo first time and it was a difficult game in many ways

However you made a fair point in saying we don't get midfielders very high on a lot of attacks as that would leave us open to counter attacks with the full backs high as well. The Ox in the first half didn't play well and didn't deserve a second half and Shaq was out on the right when maybe he could've got on the end of a clearance. It's a serious dip in form..we don't kid ourselfes, it won't be easy just to switch it on but saying we have no clue is not right.

The issue is that we are handicapped - and cannot flood the box due to having to worry about defensive cover because ... well we dont' have any defenders. But more so the approach is failing due to the slowness of the attack. You talk about everybody knows whats happening etc.. but not really anymore the passing is way off, they pause and wait around in the opposing final third and by that time it is too late. The clinical element of the front has gone missing since the Crystal Palace game.

VAR double/treble check Spurs pens...City the same. We had a possible hand ball in the second half and as far as I could see VAR didn't even look at it. The Mane trip wasn't a pen IMO. But it seems we get very little from VAR. And how the hell did Mariner or the AR miss the "tackle" on Milner late on is a mystery. You could see Milner giving the AR some stick. It was at the very least a yellow and Mariner was no more than 10 yards away. He doesn't moan for nothing.

That's not fair on the Boss and it's not very insightful. We have plenty of variation and it won us the league and took us to the top this season. Fact is we were up against it in the second half due to a sloppy start. Teams have been sitting deep for years and years against us...but we do break them down and we do it consistently. Injuries have played a massive part so far. The defense has been shattered. Plenty have had a pop at TAA...so he wasn't great tonight but Mo wasn't there half the time to take a pass, played alongside Hendo first time and it was a difficult game in many ways

However you made a fair point in saying we don't get midfielders very high on a lot of attacks as that would leave us open to counter attacks with the full backs high as well. The Ox in the first half didn't play well and didn't deserve a second half and Shaq was out on the right when maybe he could've got on the end of a clearance. It's a serious dip in form..we don't kid ourselfes, it won't be easy just to switch it on but saying we have no clue is not right.

Its not about just the result tonight, weve won 4 of our last 10 league games. In 6 of those games weve scored 1 goal or less. Despite the injuries our defence has held up pretty well. Our attacking system isnt working, yes it was very successful in the past but thats not useful now. If teams dont come out and attack us leaving space in behind to counter we really are struggling to find any sort of rhythm going forward. More teams are going to copy this tactic, with good reason, until we find a way to beat it.

VAR double/treble check Spurs pens...City the same. We had a possible hand ball in the second half and as far as I could see VAR didn't even look at it. The Mane trip wasn't a pen IMO. But it seems we get very little from VAR. And how the hell did Mariner or the AR miss the "tackle" on Milner late on is a mystery. You could see Milner giving the AR some stick. It was at the very least a yellow and Mariner was no more than 10 yards away. He doesn't moan for nothing.

Klopp said with the main penalty claim that he spun around immediately to the fourth official and asked if they were going to check if it was a pen, and the official just shook his head and said, 'We've already checked'. That's within ten seconds of it happening. If that's not dodgy, I don't know what is.

Walker Peters had Mane in his pocket and frustrated him all through the game and still had time to be a threat going forward towards our goal area.

It's not bollocks. We ARE better with him down the right.His crossing was no worse than Robbo's although you seem to be the stats nerd around here. He wasn't at his best I admit but he is still the best option overlapping. And I know why the Boss took him off...I just did not agree for the reasons I have stated.
Jesus. You don't have to lecture me about his qualities. We all know them However IN THIS MATCH, did you not seen every single person bar yourself agreeing with his substitution? You can't balance his two assists this season against giving the ball away that often. Clearly Klopp agreed.

Meanwhile, Hasenhuttl is planning his celebrations if he manages to beat another big team: a bit of weeping as he wafts his hands towards his face in an attempt to dry the mascara, followed by taking a microphone from a nearby reporter, marching to the cameras and singing 'I Am What I Am' as a troupe of acrobats and dancers, all dressed in pink and gold lycra, gyrate around him.

Meanwhile, Hasenhuttl is planning his celebrations if he manages to beat another big team: a bit of weeping as he wafts his hands towards his face in an attempt to dry the mascara, followed by taking a microphone from a nearby reporter, marching to the cameras and singing 'I Am What I Am' as a troupe of acrobats and dancers, all dressed in pink and gold lycra, gyrate around him.

Honestly @gkmacca - yeah I know it was a bit over the top, but does it not make you happy knowing how it makes others feel after they have beaten LFC in game of football ? - people never cried after beating Man City/Man United/Chelsea (you know the rich clubs) - but now we have someone who was bought to tears after beating us. That is how highly we are thought of.

Missing almost half of his starting XI (McCarthy, Vestergaard, Romeu, Redmond and Adams), beating Klopp for the first time. For someone who survived a 9-0 thrashing, I guess his emotions are understandable.

[article]Hasenhuttl took a break from coaching after leaving Unterhaching. The Austrian used the time to cycle around the Bavarian capital and watch some of Bayern Munich and TSV 1860 Munich's training sessions.

Once, he spied on one of Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp's sessions at a preseason camp in Austria. He was on a mountain bike, wearing a helmet so nobody could recognise him.

"It was something I always wanted to do: see how other people work," he said in 2015.[/article]

Missing almost half of his starting XI (McCarthy, Vestergaard, Romeu, Redmond and Adams), beating Klopp for the first time. For someone who survived a 9-0 thrashing, I guess his emotions are understandable.

We were missing a fair few, too. Way too camp, Binny. You're demoted to duke for a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom