• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

State of the title race

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm being serious when I say that I don't think we can do it. Not saying that we can't win the league, but I don't see us winning every remaining game.
We do have some really difficult opponents coming up. Brighton and Arsenal away next.
Unless City drop at least 6 more points, not counting the game against us, we won't win it.

City have an easier run in and they'll unfortunately take it.

But yeah we need to do our best to keep them on their toes and hope for a miracle.

But yeah we need to do our best to keep them on their toes and hope for a miracle.

Injuries and a hectic schedule is the only thing that can stop them. They need to stay in the CL and FA cup for us to have a chance.

You’ll be eating your words in a weeks time…Palace are going to beat them…
I only said that I don't believe "we" will win all of our remaining games. There's definitely a chance that City will drop points.

If we're not going to win the title, I hope we drop off soon. I'm catching major flack at home from blocking off every weekend between now and June instead of committing to wilderness canoe trips with my partner and other family things.

I've justified it on the basis of pursuing the quadruple, but if it falls apart at the end, the shit I'm taking won't be worth it.

Our best hope is that their squad being stretched at the back gets fatigued fighting on three fronts. Positive for that is a tough FA cup draw for them, just a shame their CL tie is already over. Other than that it is just two epic teams going at it - its going to be a tense couple of months.

It’s best attack v best defence.

Our run in is much harder and it’s better to have points in the bag rather than games in hand.

So City are favourites of course but this is our best squad under Klopp.

I kept on thinking no its not possible, but I believe that the West Ham game has given me some serious belief that we may win the title now. Not because our performance was great but more to do with the fact that Declan Rice was injured and could not play, as I believe that had he been in that game we would have lost it or at best drawn. Call me crazy but I actually think that his absence from that game was our luck, and along to winning titles you need luck which comes in different forms like difficult opposition missing one of their best players, and a player that can make a huge difference to their drive and will in midfield. Who knows - by the time we face City we may face a team that is also missing some key players. You just don't know !!!

490d001e38991873b7cacd614fb5231a.jpg

My Meditation music for the evening…
football wise we doin ok :D
things could be a lot lot worse…
And I could’ve been brought up an Evertonian !
So Happy days !

This result doesn’t change much, no? We would still be ahead of City if we beat them at Etihad and behind if we don’t. We would need them to drop more points (and win all our games) to overtake them without a need to win in Manchester.

I do like the trend of them only earning 7 points from their last possible 12 plus drawing another blank in the CL - that will worry Pep and his inexplicable refusal to make subs today perhaps shows he is starting overthink under pressure once again. I’m sure he will claim this was their “best performance of the season” and there was no need to change anything.

We need to beat Arsenal to make them really feel the pressure.

Last edited:
I was convinced City would wilt under pressure if we turned up at the Etihad level on points or ahead.

We have the cooler heads.

Its a shame they have a break to regroup but their next 3 league games are Burnley away, us at the Ethiad and Wolves away. That isn't a nice run if those teams turn up.

If our defence gives up the sort of chances it’s been offering up of late, we’ll get walloped at the Emirates, let alone the Ethiad.

City will beat us at their ground like they always do. And they'll absolutely annihilate Burnley like they always do.

Why fist-pumping Jurgen could give liverpool the title edge in title race. (See link) (I liked this :D)

Liverpool’s victory at Arsenal, 48 hours after City had dropped two points at Crystal Palace, will have twisted the psyche that bit more, and that extra bit of sleep will have been lost on Wednesday night.
Guardiola himself made mention of how he had never had an adversary quite like Liverpool, these the words of a man who crossed paths with Klopp for two years in the Bundesliga.
By the time that City kick another Premier League ball in anger, they might well no longer be sat top of the table, a 14-point gap (fourteen!) having evaporated.
It doesn’t matter that they likely reclaim the lead a few hours later, this is all about the psychology of football, and in the final straight, them prospectively being not only the team that threw away a 14-point lead and possibly the Premier League title with it, but also the identity of who they must hand it to and the symbolism that would be at play.
Liverpool going toe-to-toe with City is a case of one club who refreshes the parts that other clubs cannot reach getting into the face and under the skin of one for whom no transfer fee or wage demand is too big.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/...dge-in-title-race/?utm_source=morningbriefing

[article]Speaking to The Guardian, Spain centre-back Laporte claimed that Liverpool would love to replicate even a part of City’s game.

“City can’t be afraid of anyone,” the 27-year-old said of the title race.

“Something like this happened a few years ago: [Liverpool] were a point behind in the same week, and in the end we won the league. We have this fight now and that’s good for the fans, and neutrals.

“The football we play, no one else plays in the world. We’re an example of how to play nice football, to be superior in all areas.

“I think they’d like even part of our game. As for us having something of them: taking chances and benefiting from opponents’ errors a little more, because often we have the opportunity and don’t take it.

“We let the other team off. But there’s nothing to be envious about.”
[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom