• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

State of the title race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even when we struggle to beat Spurs in a must win match, they usually contrive to let us win by scoring an own goal in the 90th minute.

I won’t disagree they are toughest side left to play. They’ve got the most quality. But there is such a gulf in class between the top two and the rest I’m not going to worry about spurs.

Could having tougher games be beneficial for us because we need to have that extra edge? Thinking we are going to steam roll some cannon fodder could work against us.

No idea about the psychology of it all, but for us we’re absolutely most vulnerable playing against teams that have great creators and super quick attackers (with a brain). And Spurs do have that so it’s definitely one of the scarier fixtures. Conte has a tight defence, with very quick counter attacking. And has the players playing with confidence.
I’d far rather be playing some shite team with a big lump up top.

Even when we struggle to beat Spurs in a must win match, they usually contrive to let us win by scoring an own goal in the 90th minute.

*eyes tombrown suspiciously*

*starts to slowly sharpen the SCM Grim Reaper scythe*

Your sacrifice will be greatly appreciated by those who remain…

Not gonna lie, I'm starting to think that the League cup is going to be our only trophy this season.
The only teams we've played who currently are at the top of their game are Chelsea and City and we couldn't beat them. Chelsea beat themselves in the cup final.
In previous seasons, we've dominated or been in control against other top teams on route to finals and wins.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, I'm starting to think that the League cup is going to be our only trophy this season.
The only teams we've played this season who currently are at the top of their game are Chelsea and City and we couldn't beat them. Chelsea beat themselves in the cup final.
In previous seasons, we've dominated or been in control against other top teams on route to finals and wins.
They couldn’t beat us either and we were part of our own downfall. In each game.

I’d be booting you out of Kelly’s Heroes with that attitude.

City fear us though.

We just play our normal way whereas Guardiola has his team playing more negatively to counter teams that (counter) press like us.

They even gave up their usual tippy tappy style and played more directly on Sunday.

City fear us though.

We just play our normal way whereas Guardiola has his team playing more negatively to counter teams that (counter) press like us.

They even gave up their usual tippy tappy style and played more directly on Sunday.
Which worked pretty well.

In both PL games City got very lucky with huge deflections (not taking their chances is their deficiency not luck). Small margins. Without those two pieces of bad luck we could have been 5 points ahead with the league almost wrapped up!

I hope we really go for it (as we did for 25 mins at the start of the 2nd half on Sunday) in the FAC semi. Better to go down in flames than hand the initiative to them or lose on penalties.

My general thinking is to actually beat City, and other elite sides, we really need lots of energy and to be able to press high and with loads of intensity. We didn't or couldn't do that at the Etihad, which gave them plenty of time to dissect our high-line. I think Klopp has reduced the intensity of the press in recent years tor reduce burnout, maintain consistency and progress to the later stages of the competitions - but I do fear that we don't have enough in the tank, or the squad is simply too old, to produce those kind of rampaging, dominant, 'heavy metal' performances that enable us to blow the top teams away. Maybe it's just hard to dial it up to 110% when you're told to pace yourself in other games. I don't think we've recorded a win against City or Chelsea this season, who are the comfortably the two best sides in the league. Not to say we can't beat some top teams, but I'd stick our chances more at the 50/50 side of the spectrum then going in hugely confident.

My general thinking is to actually beat City, and other elite sides, we really need lots of energy and to be able to press high and with loads of intensity. We didn't or couldn't do that at the Etihad, which gave them plenty of time to dissect our high-line. I think Klopp has reduced the intensity of the press in recent years tor reduce burnout, maintain consistency and progress to the later stages of the competitions - but I do fear that we don't have enough in the tank, or the squad is simply too old, to produce those kind of rampaging, dominant, 'heavy metal' performances that enable us to blow the top teams away. Maybe it's just hard to dial it up to 110% when you're told to pace yourself in other games. I don't think we've recorded a win against City or Chelsea this season, who are the comfortably the two best sides in the league. Not to say we can't beat some top teams, but I'd stick our chances more at the 50/50 side of the spectrum then going in hugely confident.

That was my thinking too.

We struggle against teams with top class midfields like City, Chelsea and Real Madrid because we can't compete toe to toe and we no longer have that crazy work ethic / press to compensate.

That's why I'd be less confident than some coming up against Real whereas I think City would batter them.

I don't think I'd disagree with much if any of that, Squiggs. IMHO the crux of the question is the bit I've bolded above, because it seems to me that the post with which I initially took issue was saying exactly that. It remains the case that those teams couldn't find a way to beat us either.

I think part of it is that we've taken a more conservative approach against the big teams, where a point is ok, so that we can throttle everyone else.

It's no good blowing your load against City or Chelsea only to drop points against Watford or Burnley.

We have got into a rhythm where almost every match is 3 points and we only need to not lose against the top sides to be in with a shout.

The only teams we've played who currently are at the top of their game are Chelsea and City and we couldn't beat them. Chelsea beat themselves in the cup final.

This is the truth. The world is gonna take the piss out of us for banging on about the quad for months, only to be left with the carabao cup

Zackly. We haven't been banging on about it anyway - the media have, and who gives a f*ck about a mindless mob which subcontracts its thinking to the media?

So we're down to the matches where those of us that thought City might drop points, were most likely to do so.

Here's hoping its at least at draw tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom