• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sterling Deal Complete: 49 million (44 + 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So people would rather we didn't sell him because they think we'd look strong? This is playground shit - this is exactly the attitude we should be looking to exploit in others.

We'd be absolutely fucking insane to turn down 50m in these circumstances. We would be stupid to turn it down. And then next season every time he has a poor game (and they're will be plenty) we'll be reminded that we could have gotten 50m for him.

Did you see Madrid selling Di Maria for 60m? How do they look after that deal?

We're selling him on our terms, the last thing we look is weak. We look like we've accepted the situation is as it is and we need to do the best we can out of it.

You cannot force a player to sign a contract, we were negotiatng for ages. So this nonsense about us not acting doesn't stand up.

The likes of Madird can replace di maria with another glactico.

We are strugglling to attract players a rung 2 below that level.

I don't understand the 'looking weak' point. Who would we look weak to that matters?

My best guess is that it exposes us to future situations where players who would rather be elsewhere force us into moves where we profit massively. Er, ok.

What I am missing?

It's a very good price. The problem is that if we don't replace him and end up better. Coutinho will be next out the door, and Ibe in a season or two.

If we do replace him well, then this is a good thing, I just have very little confidence in us doing that.

This is exactly it. If I thought for one minute that we would spend the money well. i.e. on the players currently being "linked", I would grab 50M and I wouldn't give a fuck how we looked in the eyes of others.

I don't understand the 'looking weak' point. Who would we look weak to that matters?

My best guess is that it exposes us to future situations where players who would rather be elsewhere force us into moves where we profit massively. Er, ok.

What I am missing?

I don't get the looking weak thing either.

Our current squad and any players we may or may not buy in the future.

I'm not convinced. McManaman and Owen made us look weak. There will always be some players who want to leave. In recent years we are at least getting great fees for them.

£50m is a big investment in his potential because he certainly doesn't look like a £50m player today. I'd snap their hands off.

We've developed a bad habit of selling our best players. It's nothing new.
I can understand losing players to Barcelona and Real Madrid. I can understand selling Torres as he was declining. Selling the player currently seen as the best young talent in Europe to Manchester City seems a bit different.

I can understand losing players to Barcelona and Real Madrid. I can understand selling Torres as he was declining. Selling the player currently seen as the best young talent in Europe to Manchester City seems a bit different.

We currently lose players to richer clubs, whatever guise they come in. Potential players won't discern which particular club we are selling to, they'll just realise that said club has more money.

Depends on what we do ourselves.

If we sell Sterling and sign Firmino for half the money then surely both the perception and the reality is of us pulling off quite a coup.

What if in a years time you realise that was just hype?

We should just be adding to him.

So what? Given the situation, this seems like a good outcome.

Here's another way of looking at it: if we keep him another year, the fall in his value would be equivalent to the fee for Irmino. So it's either a year of Sterling or about 8 years of Firmino.

So what? Given the situation, this seems like a good outcome.

Here's another way of looking at it: if we keep him another year, the fall in his value would be equivalent to the fee for Irmino. So it's either a year of Sterling or about 8 years of Firmino.
You are only looking at immediate monetary value there.

You are only looking at immediate monetary value there.

If you mean the effect on reputation, I think it's a plausible argument in general but weak in this instance.

As I say, the signs are the immediate response will be strong (Firmino) and will mitigate most of the effect. Then there's the general disdain for Sterling that he's brought on himself, which again is a mitigation. Finally there's the the effect of the change in performance brought about by swapping Sterling for, say, Firmino, Clyne, and Bacca. That's very likely to be positive, especially over the next 3 years.

So any change in reputation is in fact likely to be positive once all effects are considered.

So people would rather we didn't sell him because they think we'd look strong? This is playground shit - this is exactly the attitude we should be looking to exploit in others.

We'd be absolutely fucking insane to turn down 50m in these circumstances. We would be stupid to turn it down. And then next season every time he has a poor game (and they're will be plenty) we'll be reminded that we could have gotten 50m for him.

Did you see Madrid selling Di Maria for 60m? How do they look after that deal?

We're selling him on our terms, the last thing we look is weak. We look like we've accepted the situation is as it is and we need to do the best we can out of it.

You cannot force a player to sign a contract, we were negotiatng for ages. So this nonsense about us not acting doesn't stand up.

The idea of selling Sterling for 50 m is not bad in isolation. I think the reason several posters are against it is because they dont trust our management to replace him adequately. If we had a decent success rate in transfers I am sure majority of them will be for it. What most posters are afraid of is getting 50 m, giving 10 million to QPR and spending 32 million on Benteke.

You really cannot use Madrid as an example for transfers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom