• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sterling to Man City.. Maybe Arsenal..

Status
Not open for further replies.
The club has a culture of hype at present. Did you see Thierry Henry's face when he was told recently that Coutinho was known as the Little Magician? Quite rightly, he pointed out that a few flicks and four good goals was hardly deserving of that kind of title. The difference is, of course, that Coutinho's a modest lad who genuinely appreciates being at the club, knows that he's being improved and wants to work. The only reason Sterling's top scorer is because we don't have a fit striker and he's been given so many chances even someone with his poor finishing was going to get the odd goal. He needs a reality check, urgently.

I don't think he's going to get one from Aidy is he.

Sterling is much, much better than SWP ever was.

They both got first team starts at a relatively young age, are black, have a slight build & are pacy.

Sterling has much better feet, much better close control, is way stronger & offers much more adaptability than SWP ever did.

Is Sterling really that good ? I think he's definitely a gem but by no means, a fully polished one yet. He's not even close.

He's believing his own hype and pride will be his own downfall.

That interview with BBC only confirms that he's more or less had his mind made up about leaving, with the door left slightly ajar - probably wanting drastic assurances from the club and Brendan about their title ambitions and big name signings who will excite. Of course, money always play an important factor too.

I say, if we can keep him - great. But if not, boot his arse out and don't let him hold us ransom.

Use the money and get Reus or Dybala instead.

Agreed. As it happens Comolli was interviewed on TalkSh!te this morning and said he's not sure Sterling actually wants to go, hinting that this was being driven more by that parasite Aidy Ward than by Sterling himself. However, I'm not convinced Comolli has any kind of inside track at the club any more.

Agreed. As it happens Comolli was interviewed on TalkSh!te this morning and said he's not sure Sterling actually wants to go, hinting that this was being driven more by that parasite Aidy Ward than by Sterling himself. However, I'm not convinced Comolli has any kind of inside track at the club any more.

Not sure about Comollis inside track but I think a lot of people share his views.
I dont think Sterling wants to leave either. He's badly advised and it is all about the money imho.

If City or Bayern come in with a bid thats just to good to turn down then we might reconsider but in the end I think we'll agree on a contract at about 110-120k.
Bayern want De Bruyne and I can see City going for Barkley.

Well, we'll see. At the moment I still reckon he might go, because he's obviously not going to get rid of Ward and that dipsh!t is calling the shots. I also wouldn't be surprised if the club were to decide that having to deal with Ward will be too high a price to pay - literally - for keeping Sterling.

If he had any sense at all the lad would sack his fuckwit of an agent for unneccessarly exposing him to this opprobrium. If this is an example of his astuteness this Ward fella will be on the dole in no time. At a stroke he has alienated the player from the fans and the club and exposed his strategy as far as the contract is concerned. I hope we run his contract down at 35k costing the fucker 8 to 9 million quid in lost income. He can then go for a tribunal fee or we resign him for 90k a week.

People keep blaming Sterling's agent as though Sterling himself has no say in what gets leaked. He might be being manipulated by the agent, but who he chooses to look after his affairs and how that's handled is his decision.

If anyone's being a cunt, it's Sterling. "I'd have signed last year", "I'm not just in it for the money". Fucking sign then and stop flirting with the first bit of interest to either get a move elsewhere for bigger money, or to sting your current club.

It stinks and the fans just think he's a cunt. Everytime he steps on the pitch he has to prove himself x10 now, otherwise he's just going to get a shoeing and the whole process is just playing into the hands of a big money move.

Time to give an ultimatum or just slap a fucking big price tag on his head and ask for bidders.

I can't remember SWP ever being voted the best youngster in Europe.

Maybe not - But do you remember his 2004/2005 season for City? He was lauded as being the best young attacking English midfielder in the league. So much so that Chelsea stumped up 21M to sign him. That was 10 years ago at a rough guess in todays prices that would be close to 35M I'd say. I'm not saying SWP is the better player - Absolutely not in fact. I'm pointing out a comparison that in my opinion is fairly close to the mark.

Anyway I really hope BR drops 'the not willing to fight for the cause' twat for his BBC interview indiscretion alone.

The comparison works if you're saying their situations are similar.

As players though, they're quite different. And it's for that reason I dont see Sterling failing like SWP did.

The other important thing to remember is SWP was 24 when he made that move. Sterling is 20. Good wingers are usually much better in their early twenties than late twenties. Sterling could be better later in his career because his technical ability is far superior to SWP - in every respect apart from shooting

Interesting comparison with SWP. I remembered how SWP burst onto the scene and he kinda bore some resemblance to Sterling in the way they liked to do those jinking, twisting runs with lightning pace.

But then his career just nose-dived and I can't even remember the reason or cause for it. Strange career that.

If Sterling's not careful, he could be weighed down by his own hype and ego and see his career fade away into mediocrity or worse, oblivion, like SWP's.
Because he went to Chelsea.. and never played

It's not just about talent, technical abilities and physical attributes is it ? It's a lot to do with attitude too.

How many times have we seen in life (not just football) that if you've got the wrong attitude, there is a mighty big chance that everything eventually turns to shit ? Regardless of how much talent or potential you've got.

And right now, Sterling's showing signs that he's got his head all screwed wrongly. Hopefully he realizes his mistakes and wakes up quickly before his career spirals into something other than world-class.

This is perhaps one of the major disadvantages of signing players at such a young age. Sterling has already proven he will go to a bigger club if he gets offered more money.

Well Arsenal aren't a bigger club. They're not even as big. So I'm not sure why he's flattered to be linked with them.

Pretty much.

Sure, based on recent history, he'll get to play in the CL every season but he'll just there to make up the numbers rather than actually competing to win it.

Based on recent history again, he is more likely to win the league title with us than that lot. At least we've challenged a couple of times instead of being happy with just finishing in the top 4.

And we pretty much pay the same wages as that lot too, so he wouldn't be better off in that way.

Stoke City striker Peter Crouch believes that Raheem Sterling is in danger of 'alienating' Liverpool fans due to the ongoing saga regarding his future.

The 20-year-old has put talks on hold with Liverpool about a new contract, which suggests that he is considering moving on in the summer.

Despite Sterling being in demand, Crouch, who spent three years at Anfield, believes that he should stay at Liverpool because it is the best place to be for his development.

"I've played for Liverpool and there aren't a great amount of players who have gone on to better things after leaving," Crouch told talkSPORT.

"It's a massive club and certainly, with him being 20-years-old, he's at a great club. The other thing is the fans. You don't want to alienate them. When they see this great amount of money being offered you don't want them to turn on you. That could quite easily happen."

It's not just about talent, technical abilities and physical attributes is it ? It's a lot to do with attitude too.

How many times have we seen in life (not just football) that if you've got the wrong attitude, there is a mighty big chance that everything eventually turns to shit ? Regardless of how much talent or potential you've got.

And right now, Sterling's showing signs that he's got his head all screwed wrongly. Hopefully he realizes his mistakes and wakes up quickly before his career spirals into something other than world-class.

Quite. And to expand on that, it's down to the club you go to. The situations aren't that different, Sterling is a better player, but SWP's career had alot more potential than he actually ended up fulfilling. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could go to a big club and sit on the bench/play a bit part for two years, missing out on his development as a player and eventually missing the boat and becoming just one of those players who we once thought was going to be special, but ended up being a nearly man. The big clubs like City are always in danger of changing management, which can have a big bearing on whether a player gets a chance or not. There's alot of politics at the big clubs, where they have to be seen to be bringing exotic names to appease fans, and that's often at the expense of more effective and potentially longer serving players.

People keep blaming Sterling's agent as though Sterling himself has no say in what gets leaked. He might be being manipulated by the agent, but who he chooses to look after his affairs and how that's handled is his decision.

Well you don't actually think Stirling came up with the idea of doing that interview do you? You only have to listen to him to realise he's not the sharpest tool in the box, I doubt his previous agency would have handled things in the same way. This Ward fella is pretty much looking like an incompetent nincompoop!

Well you don't actually think Stirling came up with the idea of doing that interview do you? You only have to listen to him to realise he's not the sharpest tool in the box, I doubt his previous agency would have handled things in the same way. This Ward fella is pretty much looking like an incompetent nincompoop!

It's two separate points though, it's naive to suggest that Sterling is being played in all of this without going along with it to some degree.. He's got enough other people around him who will be advising him what they feel is best for him, enough prominent people have come out over the last year and questioned the motives of his agent. He might be thick, but he'd have to have had his head in the sand to have missed the reaction to his agents antics. Ergo, he's done nothing to try to appease fans and play down any fears about him going.

I remember seeing SWP being interviewed when he was at Chelski. He was slouching back in some South Kensington restaurant, completely serene and at peace with his situation, even though he wasn't getting a sniff at the first team. He should have been a coiled ball of frustration, but he couldn't have given a damn. Now I don't think Sterling is like that at all. He's thick, but he'll not put up with a season or two on the bench, or worse. Playing for a foreign club long-term is probably not an option, because he's probably way too lazy to learn the language, but he may well look at Bale and think, yeah, I could cope with a year at a club like that, then get transferred back to a top four English club like he's likely to be.

Thinking about the numbers as well, how many clubs do you think are going to cough up a big fee that Liverpool would find too much to turn down at this point and a wage of more than 100k a week?

That's quite a gamble for a 20 year old who is more talent than proven quality currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom