• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Summer rebuild 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Felix looks like another wasted talent

This confuses me, because I've checked through the first team, the reserves and the youth teams and I can't find any other Nunez bar the generational talent that is our number 9.

I must be missing someone, because that's some indykalia levels of nonsense there if they mean our Darwizzy

Felix has really fucked up his career.

He should have never gone to Athletico - not the right team for his talent.
He's still young enough to be ok - I think he'd have been better for Arsenal than Kai ... Wouldn't have an issue with him for us either but too much competition now.

He should have never gone to Athletico - not the right team for his talent.
He's still young enough to be ok - I think he'd have been better for Arsenal than Kai ... Wouldn't have an issue with him for us either but too much competition now.

Yup. Went to the wrong team and moved too early with too much hype.

He's still young(ish) but rather than trying to stay at top teams (Chelsea, Barca) he really needed to step down a level and allow a team to build around him.

Yup. Went to the wrong team and moved too early with too much hype.

He's still young(ish) but rather than trying to stay at top teams (Chelsea, Barca) he really needed to step down a level and allow a team to build around him.

As yes. He should move to Al-Ettifaq for the chance to play football.

There's talk Mbappe would not mind playing for Liverpool. He would be free, but as fans would we be okay with a player earning £1m per week?

There's talk Mbappe would not mind playing for Liverpool. He would be free, but as fans would we be okay with a player earning £1m per week?

If there’s one thing I’ve never been so sure of in my life…it’s that Mbappe is never playing for Liverpool, Bluebell mate just drop it.

I'll bet Klopp would crawl 7 miles over broken glass to avoid having that brilliant but poisonous troublemaker get anywhere near LFC.
Well not sure about that, why would he have bothered having phone calls with him and speaking to his parents about the possibility of coming?

According to Dave Davis who spoke on the Anfield Index podcast, Ward was back involved in recruitment at Liverpool towards the end of August during the summer transfer window.

Davis confirms reports the Jorg Schmadtke is not scheduled to be Liverpool’s technical director in the long-term.

“On that, all we’ve heard is that it has been a discussion topic for FSG — specifically John Henry, all the key players.

“When John and Tom flew over for the Chelsea game, apparently there were initial discussions — I’m not going to pretend I’ve got an insight, but the absolute smart money is two things. Number one, Jorg Schmadtke is not here in the long term…

“The second big thing, and this isn’t a big reveal, a few people have mentioned it. All we know and other people at AI know from fishing around and getting info — I want to be careful how I phrase this, because it could be taken in different ways.

“Julian Ward has been back involved with Liverpool during the end of the transfer window. From mid-August, he’s been involved with Liverpool.”

It may be the case that Ward’s departure from Liverpool was only a temporary one as it now seems he is back in a similar role to the one he left and could very well take over as sporting director again.

This whole episode with Ward, Jorg, etc is really quite strange.

This whole episode with Ward, Jorg, etc is really quite strange.
The whole turmoil in the backroom is strange. Ludanotics first customer is Liverpool. If Ward is back, how much say did Ward have hiring Ludanotics?
I'd like to know what was the clash between Klopp and Edwards and Graham? Did it have anything to do with Pep who we all know became increasingly influential in transfers so much so, it created rift between Klopp and Buvac, who eventually quit

There are also some straws in the wind elsewhere in the media about Edwards, no less, returning as well, though in a more semi-detached consultancy-type role.

I'd be prepared to hazard a guess (and I admit that's what it is) at an explanation for this to-ing and fro-ing. My money's on Edwards and Ward having jumped ship in the first place because the owners weren't releasing sufficient funds for what Edwards and Ward knew to be the next steps the club now has to take in the market. That may now be changing, partly because we had a dodgy season last time out and perhaps partly because of the fees we've had in for Henderson and Fabinho, so Ward and Edwards now feel more confident that they'll be allowed to do what needs to be done, or at least get closer to it.

BTW given the summer window we've had, I don't think Schmadtke's done too badly.

Last edited:
There are also some straws in the wind elsewhere in the media about Edwards, no less, returning as well, though in a more semi-detached consultancy-type role.

I'd be prepared to hazard a guess (and I admit that's what it is) at an explanation for this to-ing and fro-ing. My money's on Edwards and Ward having jumped ship in the first place because the owners weren't releasing sufficient funds for what Edwards and Ward knew to be the next steps the club now has to take in the market. That may now be changing, partly because we had a dodgy season last time out and perhaps partly because of the fees we've had in for Henderson and Fabinho, so Ward and Edwards now feel more confident that they'll be allowed to do what needs to be done, or at least get closer to it.

BTW given the summer window we've had, I don't think Schmadtke's done too badly.
The rumours are growing that the Gravenberch deal was actually Ward. But the club is letting Jorg save face.

To be honest mate, I think you’re overthinking it.

It looks more like Edwards jumped to do as he said, have a break and then set up his own company - he’ll earn much more and be able to diversify by consulting to multiple teams in multiple sports than he would sticking with just Liverpool.

I don’t think this has anything to do with funds being released or not released, it’s just someone with vision wanting to run his own business and he happened to work for us and he’s taken some key people with him.

Understood, but unless the same is true of deals like those for MacAllister and Szobo I'd still say he's done OK.
Those were release clause activations.

Not much to do there.

I'm not saying the rumours are true about Ward. Just those are the murmurs on the Internet which as we all know.. is the gospel.

To be honest mate, I think you’re overthinking it.

It looks more like Edwards jumped to do as he said, have a break and then set up his own company - he’ll earn much more and be able to diversify by consulting to multiple teams in multiple sports than he would sticking with just Liverpool.

I don’t think this has anything to do with funds being released or not released, it’s just someone with vision wanting to run his own business and he happened to work for us and he’s taken some key people with him.

That's certainly possible and was suggested at the time. What made and still makes me doubt it is the number of people who left all at once. For me it's a stretch to imagine them all choosing to take a leap of faith if they're on a good thing at LFC.

Last edited:
What information is there to back up any of BB's claims?
My points are suppositions based on press articles

Buvac-Klopp rift
[article]
170204-055-Hull_Liverpool-600x400.jpg

This Is AnfieldLiverpool FC News
New details emerge on why Zeljko Buvac left his role as Jurgen Klopp’s assistant
Zeljko Buvac quit as Liverpool’s assistant manager towards the start of 2018, and now further details have emerged on why Jurgen Klopp‘s long-term No. 2 left.
Buvac and Klopp had worked together for 17 years, at Mainz, Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool, before the Bosnian-Serb’s abrupt departure in April of last year.

Initially it was claimed he had taken leave due to “personal reasons,” but his split from the club was eventually finalised in January, after reaching a settlement on his contract.
By then, Pepijn Lijnders had already returned to Liverpool after a brief spell as manager of NEC Nijmegen in his native Netherlands, but the Dutchman was then confirmed in the position of assistant.
Lijnders has taken a more prominent role both in training and during games now, though this had already begun prior to his move to the Eerste Divisie.
170712-076-Tranmere_Liverpool-e1501595560957-600x401.jpg

And in the updated version of his biography, Klopp: Bring the Noise, German journalist Raphael Honigstein has given a new insight into the fractured relationship between Buvac and the Liverpool manager.
“The Liverpool [staff] had noticed that the notoriously wordless [Buvac] had switched from monosyllables to zero-syllables in recent months,” he wrote, as relayed by SPOX.
“Buvac looked as if he would not have been happy with the increasing influence of fourth assistant coach Pepijn Lijnders.
“The laid-back Dutchman had been very popular with the players.
“The relationship between Buvac and Klopp has survived, both just could not work together anymore.”
2018-04-23-104-Liverpool-Roma_MD-1-600x394.jpg

SPOX infer this as Buvac being “jealous” of Lijnders’ standing among Klopp’s backroom, which did in effect marginalise his own influence after close to two decades in the role.
This follows earlier reports from the Times‘ Paul Joyce of a disagreement with goalkeeping coach John Achterberg, which certainly suggests there was a schism between Buvac and the rest of the staff.
There were fears in some sections of Liverpool’s support that the 57-year-old’s departure would expose Klopp’s limitations.
Buvac had become known as ‘The Brain’, and his absence was held up as a possible reason for tactical issues at Anfield in the future, but this has now been disproved, as the Reds improved even further without him in 2018/19.
P190601-543-Liverpool_v_Tottenham_Hotspur-600x400.jpg

By all accounts, Lijnders has made a hugely positive impact since his return, with Klopp saying in May that “he could write a book about him, about what a big influence he had.”
“How big the influence of his optimism is and how lively he is on the training pitch. It is just a fact,” he continued.
“I was like that when I was young and I am not like that any more, that’s how it is.”
Fortunately, Klopp and Buvac’s friendship appears to have endured, but it seems to have been a case of ‘out with the old, in with the new’ at Liverpool.

[/article]

My points are suppositions based on press articles

Buvac-Klopp rift
[article]
170204-055-Hull_Liverpool-600x400.jpg

This Is AnfieldLiverpool FC News
New details emerge on why Zeljko Buvac left his role as Jurgen Klopp’s assistant
Zeljko Buvac quit as Liverpool’s assistant manager towards the start of 2018, and now further details have emerged on why Jurgen Klopp‘s long-term No. 2 left.
Buvac and Klopp had worked together for 17 years, at Mainz, Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool, before the Bosnian-Serb’s abrupt departure in April of last year.

Initially it was claimed he had taken leave due to “personal reasons,” but his split from the club was eventually finalised in January, after reaching a settlement on his contract.
By then, Pepijn Lijnders had already returned to Liverpool after a brief spell as manager of NEC Nijmegen in his native Netherlands, but the Dutchman was then confirmed in the position of assistant.
Lijnders has taken a more prominent role both in training and during games now, though this had already begun prior to his move to the Eerste Divisie.
170712-076-Tranmere_Liverpool-e1501595560957-600x401.jpg

And in the updated version of his biography, Klopp: Bring the Noise, German journalist Raphael Honigstein has given a new insight into the fractured relationship between Buvac and the Liverpool manager.
“The Liverpool [staff] had noticed that the notoriously wordless [Buvac] had switched from monosyllables to zero-syllables in recent months,” he wrote, as relayed by SPOX.
“Buvac looked as if he would not have been happy with the increasing influence of fourth assistant coach Pepijn Lijnders.
“The laid-back Dutchman had been very popular with the players.
“The relationship between Buvac and Klopp has survived, both just could not work together anymore.”
2018-04-23-104-Liverpool-Roma_MD-1-600x394.jpg

SPOX infer this as Buvac being “jealous” of Lijnders’ standing among Klopp’s backroom, which did in effect marginalise his own influence after close to two decades in the role.
This follows earlier reports from the Times‘ Paul Joyce of a disagreement with goalkeeping coach John Achterberg, which certainly suggests there was a schism between Buvac and the rest of the staff.
There were fears in some sections of Liverpool’s support that the 57-year-old’s departure would expose Klopp’s limitations.
Buvac had become known as ‘The Brain’, and his absence was held up as a possible reason for tactical issues at Anfield in the future, but this has now been disproved, as the Reds improved even further without him in 2018/19.
P190601-543-Liverpool_v_Tottenham_Hotspur-600x400.jpg

By all accounts, Lijnders has made a hugely positive impact since his return, with Klopp saying in May that “he could write a book about him, about what a big influence he had.”
“How big the influence of his optimism is and how lively he is on the training pitch. It is just a fact,” he continued.
“I was like that when I was young and I am not like that any more, that’s how it is.”
Fortunately, Klopp and Buvac’s friendship appears to have endured, but it seems to have been a case of ‘out with the old, in with the new’ at Liverpool.

[/article]

Press articles from 2019!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom