• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Donkey

He misses too many easy chances. There's just no getting away from that. He's also massively improved.

He now needs to fix the easiest thing to fix, and be boring at the last moment.
All top strikers do. So easy to forget when it's not your player.

And although I'm highlighting Haaland, it could be any striker, though he misses more because a) it's City and they have more chances and b) he doesn't have to do anything else bar score goals (i.e chase back to defend or press like our forward line).

Erling Haaland has missed more big chances than any premier league player in a single premier league season:
hx3iz4uj6lza1.jpg

Haaland vs Us !

Haaland at 1:17 from 1.5m (and some other crackers) :

Haaland miss vs Gibralter :
21_09_08_f382327fffc2064885d05f7343dbf292_960-1.jpg

He misses too many easy chances. There's just no getting away from that. He's also massively improved.

He now needs to fix the easiest thing to fix, and be boring at the last moment.

One of the best players in the world, it won't be long before people start accepting this.

Yes, he definitely is, but it's partially because he doesn't carry the same individual threat when one vs one, especially on the counter. Salah would be the most advanced player in the past, now it's usually nunez, and the reason is because Salah isn't as fast anymore. He could either adapt and play in service of that reality or he'd just, well, keep dribbling into a defender.
It’s clear he’s adapting rapidly.

I was reading, I think he's featured in 52 games for us, 19 goals 8 assists. Does that sound right?

If so, a goal or an assist every other game. More or less.

Is that ok? 80M?

I think he's getting better.

This is where the old man in me screams :) We don't need stats to tell us what we can see for ourselves. He's improving and will never be considered a waste of money. Jury is still out on whether he's going to be up there with the best

Reactions: jan
I was reading, I think he's featured in 52 games for us, 19 goals 8 assists. Does that sound right?

If so, a goal or an assist every other game. More or less.

Is that ok? 80M?

I think he's getting better.
£60m plus bonuses not yet achieved could take it to £80m. If he gets there then he'll have been worth it of course.

He's still a donkey but i like him cos he's entertaining and cracks me up.

But he's nowhere near Cavani or Forlan. There's a long way to go for him but if he continues to improve, he can be better than those two.

I think he’s definitely proven he’s not Uruguayan Andy Carrol, is progressing rapidly past Uruguayan Divock Origi, but is not at Uruguayan Fernando Torres level yet.

He’s about Uruguayan Andy Cole level at the moment.

I think he’s definitely proven he’s not Uruguayan Andy Carrol, is progressing rapidly past Uruguayan Divock Origi, but is not at Uruguayan Fernando Torres level yet.

For me an ultimate confirmation of a striker at the top level of the game is when they are 1 on 1 against a defender+goalkeeper and in that situation everyone in the stadium knows there is absolutely nothing the defender can do to prevent a shot on target (unless the defender is prime Van Dijk and in that case his ability to not be beaten by Haaland or Mbappe becomes itself proof of his top-level status).

Nunez had exactly this moment against Toulouse and did everything perfectly apart from the finish. He’s not quite there yet, but definitely has it in him.

I was just thinking Andy Cole a few days ago too but then Andy bangs them in, despite comically missing hundreds before scoring.

Nunez just hits the posts instead.

Needs more game time and training. I think Bielsa will sort him out eventually.

I was just thinking Andy Cole a few days ago too but then Andy bangs them in, despite comically missing hundreds before scoring.

Nunez just hits the posts instead.

Needs more game time and training. I think Bielsa will sort him out eventually.

Maybe he’s Uruguayan Shaun Goater.

We can call him “la cabra” instead of “el burro”…. according to google translate.

There actually was "el burro."

“El Burro”

Jorge Correa

Burro le decían, no sé si sus condiciones técnicas tuvieron algo que ver, o lo bautizaron así por su “patada” al arco. Lo que sí sé, es que esas carencias técnicas que tenía las sabía suplir muy bien con: excelente olfato para el gol, correcta utilización de su robusto cuerpo y un gran temperamento.

They don't know why he was called donkey. Sure.

A tad unfair on Cole that!

He's chaos , I love him. He's not enough without Salah and co but I think he compliments them well enough and it's getting better

Would not swap this lad for any other striker (don't see Mbappe as one) out there.

6 goals, 5 assists and not even a third of the season played. Crazy he's only played the 90 once....could easily finish the season on 25/30 goals and 15/20 assists.

Yeah, but you have a serious man crush on him.
And judging by the thousands every other week belting his name out, I'm not the only one. Almost as if real fans can appreciate immense talent, combine that talent with his grit and determination......what's not to love?

Klopp has used him more as the focal point in our attack and look where we are....we look capable of scoring 3-4 goals every game, the one game he wasn't used.....we lost.

And judging by the thousands every other week belting his name out, I'm not the only one. Almost as if real fans can appreciate immense talent, combine that talent with his grit and determination......what's not to love?

Klopp has used him more as the focal point in our attack and look where we are....we look capable of scoring 3-4 goals every game, the one game he wasn't used.....we lost.

Oh he’s done well and he’s a cult hero because he’s mad. He’s been excellent at improving his all round play and integration - absolutely no doubt he’s a much better prospect than last year.

I’m glad we have him - but he’s not the best number 9 in the world - he just blatantly isn’t - because he’s got a fair distance to go.

Even in this improved year at a very basic level - he’s only scored 4 in 9 league games - which will net him around 15 league goals for the season - which isn’t good enough for the “focal point” of our attack.

I’m sure it’ll get better because all the signs are positive - but his finishing still isn’t quite there yet.

I don’t think that’s a particularly contentious opinion to hold - but then you give the game away by banging on about “real fans”, which puts you firmly in the mould of one of those “super fans” that are blinded by their own opinions.

He’s good - but his scoring record this season is not significantly better than, for example, Jota.

I’m sure there’s Villa fans out there that will happily tell you they’d not have anyone else other than Ollie Watkins playing up front - they’d be wrong too, despite him having a better scoring record that Nunez this season.

Why shouldn't he ? he is the best striker in the world, there is no doubt about this.

He’s the best striker in the world in the same way Curtis is the best midfielder in the world - ie, he’s not unless your brain has gone soft.

There’s no doubt Nunez “could” be “one of” the best strikers in the world - but he isn’t - and claiming he is “the best” is utter nonsense.

There’s quite clearly, whether we like it or not, one number 9 that’s is head and shoulders better than any other player, in that position, in the world - and it’s not Nunez.

There isn’t a team in the world that Haaland doesn’t walk straight into.

Unfortunately.

Oh he’s done well and he’s a cult hero because he’s mad. He’s been excellent at improving his all round play and integration - absolutely no doubt he’s a much better prospect than last year.

I’m glad we have him - but he’s not the best number 9 in the world - he just blatantly isn’t - because he’s got a fair distance to go.

Even in this improved year at a very basic level - he’s only scored 4 in 9 league games - which will net him around 15 league goals for the season - which isn’t good enough for the “focal point” of our attack.

I’m sure it’ll get better because all the signs are positive - but his finishing still isn’t quite there yet.

I don’t think that’s a particularly contentious opinion to hold - but then you give the game away by banging on about “real fans”, which puts you firmly in the mould of one of those “super fans” that are blinded by their own opinions.

He’s good - but his scoring record this season is not significantly better than, for example, Jota.

I’m sure there’s Villa fans out there that will happily tell you they’d not have anyone else other than Ollie Watkins playing up front - they’d be wrong too, despite him having a better scoring record that Nunez this season.
People really shouldn't use Goals Per Game (or 4 in 9 PL games) as it's totally misleading when one player plays 90 mins and the other 15 mins but both are recorded as having played the same. The only fair comparative to use is goals per mins (stats from the PL).

Mo : 8 in 866 mins = 108.25 mins
Nunez : 4 in 419 mins = 104.75 mins
Haaland : 11 in 889 mins = 80.82 mins
Son : 8 in 803 mins = 100.38 mins

On that basis if Nunez played 90 x 38 he'd end up with 32.65 goals. Of course that's just hypothetical and wouldn't happen but at his current rate that's what it is.

People really shouldn't use Goals Per Game (or 4 in 9 PL games) as it's totally misleading when one player plays 90 mins and the other 15 mins but both are recorded as having played the same. The only fair comparative to use is goals per mins (stats from the PL).

Mo : 8 in 866 mins = 108.25 mins
Nunez : 4 in 419 mins = 104.75 mins
Haaland : 11 in 889 mins = 80.82 mins
Son : 8 in 803 mins = 100.38 mins

On that basis if Nunez played 90 x 38 he'd end up with 32.65 goals. Of course that's just hypothetical and wouldn't happen but at his current rate that's what it is.

And you’re right on all counts, but goals per minute played isn’t any more reliable, because it doesn’t take into account opposition, tactical variations, unforeseen events like sendings off, or a whole host of things.

Again - I’m not trying to argue that Nunez is terrible - no one is - even Woland has mellowed on him. He’s fucking frustrating at times - but all but a few players are. He SHOULD be scoring 15+ league goals as a minimum each season - ideally 20+ and then another like in cups & Europe.

He can be great fun to watch - but is he even in the top 10 number 9’s in the world at the minute?

I’m sure he will in time, but there’s reasonable arguments to suggest he’s not the automatic starter in the middle role because Jota & Gakpo can and have delivered in that position as well.

He may find himself out left from time to time - which isn’t a bad thing at all he can do a lot of damage out wide as well.

And you’re right on all counts, but goals per minute played isn’t any more reliable, because it doesn’t take into account opposition, tactical variations, unforeseen events like sendings off, or a whole host of things.

Again - I’m not trying to argue that Nunez is terrible - no one is - even Woland has mellowed on him. He’s fucking frustrating at times - but all but a few players are. He SHOULD be scoring 15+ league goals as a minimum each season - ideally 20+ and then another like in cups & Europe.

He can be great fun to watch - but is he even in the top 10 number 9’s in the world at the minute?

I’m sure he will in time, but there’s reasonable arguments to suggest he’s not the automatic starter in the middle role because Jota & Gakpo can and have delivered in that position as well.

He may find himself out left from time to time - which isn’t a bad thing at all he can do a lot of damage out wide as well.
My point wasn't anything to do with how he's rated. Or any other argument. It's just that goals per game stat is inherently fatally flawed when one player has played 90 mins and the other 15 mins. And yes all those other factors you mentioned are relevant but goals per min is still far a more accurate representation than GpG.

Back
Top Bottom