• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The whole Ched Evans thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads auto lock after a period of inactivity.. Merged threads and reopened

If you like a thread to be re-opened, please post your request in the feedback forum and the mods here will consider it on merit...

Duly noted - Thanks man.

By not allowing him to return, are fans suddenly empowered to choose what they think it a nasty crime? What about players who have killed people and have returned - why have they been allowed back?

I understand the outrage but not sure I agree with fans having that much say in who plays for the team.
I think sponsors have the most say. They pay the wages after all.

I agree with a lot of what is said here. I am convinced there's no 'right' answer.

On the one hand we have the fact that he has served his time & in a place where the law says he may return to society.

On the other there is the moral side. Whilst a plasterer would be able to find work, he isn't a plasterer, he's in the public eye, the fans of whatever club he plays for are effected by this & they are plenty of jobs out of the public eye that he wouldn't be allowed to return to following this conviction.

I agree that it doesn't sit well fans having so much power in regards to one signing, but then there's the argument that fans indirectly & directly pay the players wages & are the ones who have to support them.

Like I said, there's no right answer imo.

Why ? he has served his time.. he should be allowed to continue with his career..

If he accepts the court judgement thats one thing, however he hasn't and protests his innocence.

Find it bonkers that he thinks he can do an appeal at same time as being in the spotlight.

Poor judgemnet

If he accepts the court judgement thats one thing, however he hasn't and protests his innocence.

Find it bonkers that he thinks he can do an appeal at same time as being in the spotlight.

Poor judgemnet

Thats the problem I guess.. He has a right to protest is innocence, with that being said.. If you beleive you are innocent then you not likely to accept the judgement that came with it...

He still should have a right to continue his career.. But like you & FFF say being in the Spotlight certainly is not helping his cause..

Poor judgemnet

That's absurd. Why can't he appeal if he feels he is innocent?

As always the Wag sticks by the cheating footballer. He admits to having sex (consentual or not) with her, but his wag is obviously cool with that. A long with pretty much every fooballers wag out there. I think any girl that goes out with a footballer must know that they will cheat on them but accept it as part of their new lifestyle.

As for Evans the fact he got all his mates in the room and recorded it shows what a moron he is.

Luke McCormick of Plymouth (who is now their captain!) was jailed for 6 years for killing 2 kids whilst drink driving. Lee Hughes left the scene of his car crash which left one man dead and 2 badly injured, he handed himself in 36 hours later and in court it was implied that he went missing to avoid a breath test....he was sentenced to 6 years but restarted his career upon release.

We will never know for sure that Ched Evans is guilty because both he and the girl were very intoxicated so there can be no 100% accurate version of events. He has served his time, he maintains his innocence and there is (no matter how small some people want to believe) a chance that he was wrongly convicted. He should be allowed to play again.

That's absurd. Why can't he appeal if he feels he is innocent?

Of course he can and should appeal if he thinks he is innocent. However doing that whilst playing footballer is bonkers.

Lee Hughes accepted what he did was wrong and moved on with his life, if ched had done something similar, he could have done the same.

He has a right to work, but also potential employers have a right to not hire him if they dont want to, and that is all that is happening. Its not as if the FA have taken away his papers.

I am a manager and if I interviewed someone for a job & found out they had just come out of jail for rape, I would not offer them a job. Even if I did buy into the "he's served his time and should be allowed a chance" line I probably still wouldn't offer them a job as I have to take into account how disruptive the presence of a known convicted rapist would be on the rest of the workforce and on my customers.

Of course he can and should appeal if he thinks he is innocent. However doing that whilst playing footballer is bonkers.

Lee Hughes accepted what he did was wrong and moved on with his life, if ched had done something similar, he could have done the same.
Lee Hughes and Luke McCormick accepted what they did was wrong and apologised but they were proved 100% guilty and killed people, the evidence against Evans involved conflicting versions of events from 2 very drunk people and he probably does actually believe he is innocent.

Doctors, police , fireman, nurse etc etc if they get convicted of any of the crimes mentioned above they are struck off. They have to find a new profession. The same should be said for footballers who are in the public eye. None of the players mentioned above should be ever allowed to play football again. Lee Hughes and that other scumbag are a total disgrace.

And his own website says he gave the evidence that convicted him. The fucking idiot.

The girl says - I dont remember anything that happened, there's no physical evidence. And then Ched goes and says he fucked her.

Stupid twat.

@pkelso: Oldham main stand sponsor Verlin Rainwater Solutions - they make gutters - say they will pull sponsorship if Ched Evans is signed

I think he deserves the chance to work as he's completed his custodial. But, clubs, their fans and their sponsors also have the right to reject him playing/working for him if they want to.
So I can't see a problem with the current situation, he keeps trying to find a club and keeps getting blown out.

It is interesting how society see's different sorts of crimes in different lights though regards to rehabilitation and returning to football. It seems like if you've killed people in a drink driving incident it's 'ahhhhh comeon then, you can come back and play again', but if you rape a woman then it's 'you're despicable, we never want you to play ever again at any club'.

The only other convicted rapist I can think of who restarted their career after serving time was Mike Tyson. Are there others?

If you use the image of being a footballer to fuck the girl your mate brought back and then complain when it gets used against you... well you can't have it both ways

Running over people in a car is somehow seen as much less of a serious misdemeanour than raping someone though, which is something I can't comprehend

To be honest though, and this is the real issue - if John Terry did it he'd still be employed

Lee Hughes and Luke McCormick accepted what they did was wrong and apologised but they were proved 100% guilty and killed people, the evidence against Evans involved conflicting versions of events from 2 very drunk people and he probably does actually believe he is innocent.

And if he is innocent, let me go through the courts to prove that is the case BEFORE he resumes his career.

I had a good read of his website.

It seems to boil down purely as to whether consent was given. Evans didn't go home with the girl - he turned later when he heard his mate was in a hotel room with her.

She can't remember anything.

How the pair of them managed to be seemingly utterly unconvincing over whether she gave consent to Evans joining is beyond me.

Anyway, the problem stems from the problem of Evans being seemingly unrepentant despite being convicted.

Fair enough, he feels he's innocent and his lawyers have probably told him to say nothing, but he ends up looking like an idiot, that feels wronged and won't have been rehabilitated at all by being banged up.

Some sort of understanding that what he did might have been wrong and an acceptance that he has to somehow make amends would probably change opinion somewhat.

As it happens he just comes across as another colossally stupid footballer with an overvalued ego that let's him think he can do whatever he wants without it ever being wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom