• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The worst Premier League for years ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosco

Worse than Brendan
Europe usually is a decent barometer for the state of the Premiership, we know from the points totals it's become more competitive recently but it looks like it's gotten worse - doesn't it ?

I would totally disagree.

Just a freak result.

If both Machester clubs have gotten through tonight 1 or both would have made at least the last 8 and probably further.

[quote author=Dreambeliever link=topic=47832.msg1439968#msg1439968 date=1323294410]

Just a freak result.

If both Machester clubs have gotten through tonight 1 or both would have made at least the last 8 and probably further.
[/quote]

One freak result Pat?

It's a group, they had 6 games to qualify and ultimately weren't good enough.

There was a time a few years ago when Chelsea and United were virtually unbeatable, it was rare to see them lose games.

Is there anyone in the Premiership you don't think we can beat ?

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=47832.msg1439972#msg1439972 date=1323294511]
There was a time a few years ago when Chelsea and United were virtually unbeatable, it was rare to see them lose games.

[/quote]

The mighty Fulham, Swansea, Sunderland and Norwich.

Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas on Twitter: "Two English teams and two Spanish out of the Champions League. European football is very strong."

I love the way Pat takes all this shit he's been given in such good humour.

Back to the subject at hand, yes, it's gotten marginally weaker, but the rest of Europe's top teams have gotten marginally stronger, & at the same time we have a clutch of clubs who have improved as the top tier have decreased slightly.

[quote author=Piedro link=topic=47832.msg1439971#msg1439971 date=1323294497]
[quote author=Dreambeliever link=topic=47832.msg1439968#msg1439968 date=1323294410]

Just a freak result.

[/quote]

One freak result Pat?

It's a group, they had 6 games to qualify and ultimately weren't good enough.
[/quote]

In terms of them not qualifying. that's like what only the 1st time in 7 years they didn't make the q/f and city have shown they are right up there this year.

If anything I would say the league is of a better standard its been in years.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=47832.msg1439972#msg1439972 date=1323294511]

[/quote]

Even at their best we could always beat any team in the league.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=47832.msg1439974#msg1439974 date=1323294544]
How you feeling Dreamy?
[/quote]

Over the moon.

I hope Barca dominate again this year.

I love their football and their players and find it amusing when people dislike them.

Arsenal and Chelsea went through, Chelsea struggled but got there. City are new to this so that could be part to blame for their failure. And United, well, that's just plain funny as they had a piss weak group and haven't played well in the league or Europe./

[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=47832.msg1439970#msg1439970 date=1323294479]
Chin up Dreamy.
[/quote]HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=47832.msg1440020#msg1440020 date=1323296407]
I love the way Pat takes all this shit he's been given in such good humour.

Back to the subject at hand, yes, it's gotten marginally weaker, but the rest of Europe's top teams have gotten marginally stronger, & at the same time we have a clutch of clubs who have improved as the top tier have decreased slightly.
[/quote]

The only real difference is that instead of it being Utd Chelsea or Arsenal sitting at the top unbeaten its city.

Didn't united not get out the groups a few years ago ? I've got an image of benfica knocking them out in the last game of the group

I'm not suprised with Man City not going through.

I've never rated Mancini at European level.

Even with a top rate Inter side at his disposal he achieved very little in Europe.

He will win you a league title though, but only if:

1. He has an unlimited budget, or
2. His rivals have been relegated or deducted points

[quote author=Fabio link=topic=47832.msg1440080#msg1440080 date=1323300959]
Didn't united not get out the groups a few years ago ? I've got an image of benfica knocking them out in the last game of the group
[/quote]

yeah, that did happen.

2007?

Hopefully this brings an end to "back in your day you played shite teams" type arguments.

The cunts have had the biggest cunt of a group in history, and still fucked it up.

Cunts.

I'd love to see the comments on here when that group got drawn, but I'm too pissed to do a proper search. I'm gonna go to bed and hope someone has done it by the time I wake up...

Farewell.

I would say the overall quality of the teams in the EPL is better, but the top teams have gotten worse.

[quote author=Halmeister link=topic=47832.msg1440107#msg1440107 date=1323306071]
I would say the overall quality of the teams in the EPL is better, but the top teams have gotten worse.
[/quote]

I think the answer is a little different though probably related.

I think the teams at the top of the league have gotten better; We're certainly better as a team and squad than 5 years ago but we seem further down the pecking order. The number of teams now trying to force their way into the Big 4 has grown to 6..... 7 if the barcodes don't go away. A few years ago there were no realistic challengers to those top 4..... there might be a one off team like Charlton or something having a great season and almost nicking it but none looked likely to do so consistently. These days Spurs, both manc clubs, Chavs, Arsenal and us will always be vying for it.

That brings a change in focus. It takes a different approach and a different set up to do well in Europe. We've proven that beyond doubt and Ferguson talked about it at length in the late 90's. It's two competitions which have almost no similarity and doing well in one doesn't mean you'll do well in the other. If you're in a dog fight to win the domestic league you don't have the luxury of setting up your roster, your tactics and and approach to do well in Europe as well.

City could prove capable of it with their endless money but players still want to play most weeks - not just be restricted to one competition.

So does this improve Citeh's chances of winning the league? They probably won't concentrate so much on the Europa league and utd lost Vidic last night. The busy christmas period is fast approaching, can Citeh extend their gap?

Is Platini getting what he wanted ? He's wanted to dilute the hold the major clubs have had on the comp for a while now . He changed the playoff rules so league winners from so called weaker leagues would play each other and not the big 3rd or 4th place team from a major league . So i'd say he's happy enough with the way a fair few unexpected teams are in the knock out stage . Makes for a few uninspiring games i reckon, well unless you're a total football junkie.

Guess you can't look past Barca , Real and maybe Bayern to win it .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom