• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Very Important Announcement!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How big is our current db?
I can look later and confirm..

But it ain't massive.. I have an auto delete, optimise function in place with the forum software that helps to trim it..

It's catering for 15 years of posts with 2000 users..

If anyone has any questions they want answering please put them together in a post or pm and I will answer as soon as I have time to investigate over the next few days

JoNo

We could invade another forum?

Like something of a similar size? More a merger than an invasion?

Back to the db..

Images are not imbedded into the database merely linked to where they reside on the host.

We only allow uploads to selected users.. so to keep down on storage. That should remain in place.

They don't do the maintaining though if I'm reading it correctly, so they're the equivalent of ghandi that currently host us.

We could pay £15 a month on top of hosting for that one I linked earlier to do one hours maintenance a month.

We'd also need someone with some ftp knowledge to do some bits though, preferably a poster on here, if I'm reading what Jono has written correctly.

I'm happy to join a team of people and do some of the easy tech bits/admin whatever but I'd probably balls up doing it on me bill

I'm gonna have to sit & do a load of research & collate a load of options & then cost them all.

After that we'll have to make a decision, but at least it will be an informed one.

Or we could do a whiparound for 120 quid, give it to knownhost with a new/different domain and them to setup, migrate data, host, and semi-manage for a year (https://www.knownhost.com/xenforo-hosting.html).

Leave this site running as is in case it all fucks out and we're back to the drawing board less 120 quid.
If all goes well, we point this domain to it and move over.

I'm gonna have to sit & do a load of research & collate a load of options & then cost them all.

After that we'll have to make a decision, but at least it will be an informed one.
Like I say.. I will help you with this.. wherever you need my input

The xenforo solution @keniget posted earlier seems an interesting solution..

You just need a Geek to keep things ticking over.. together maybe with the fella you mentioned

Managed host
The guy you mentioned
A geek enthusiast that has a few hours to spare in-between
Someone to be the key holder (site owner) and liase with the host and manage domain renewal. - Probably you.. imho.. or whoever takes it on board if that's the preferred method
Xenforo licence
Support from xenforo for the initial install and/or Me support with the initial migration

Oh and the relevant donations.. that needs to go to the desired site owner who can distribute funds accordingly

Depends on how you want to do it..

This is just an example. Guideline. obviously modify as you see fit..

Last edited:
I'm happy to join a team of people and do some of the easy tech bits/admin whatever but I'd probably balls up doing it on me bill

I'm interested and invested enough to be really tempted to offer, but no one should rely on me for anything, ever, and I've managed to set my life up in a way that nothing is ever expected of me.

But yeah, happy and willing to contribute time/effort/money/etc as long as there's no sense of responsibility.

We need to find where Brendan is and ask him to 'vouch' for us.......

Or cloggypop, where did he end up?
Twitter and theliverpoolway..

Ironicaly he left there because of Brendon, Brendon got banned then ended up back here..

Cloggy went back to theliverpoolway

Twitter and theliverpoolway..

Ironicaly he left there because of Brendon, Brendon got banned then ended up back here..

Cloggy went back to theliverpoolway

Oooh really?

I take back everything I've said. I'm just gonna keep coming here every day until the place no longer exists, and then I will join theliverpoolway.

Cloggy is on twitter but he doesn't seem to post anything, you just see the odd like from him.

I can't really add anything to the conversation only to repeat a big thank you to Jono for all the hard work that benefited us all over the years.
It really is a thankless task and him and @Lippy before him did an absolutely outstanding job.
I really hope that this small refuge of insanity keeps going in some shape or form.
Keeping it as close to it's current guise as possible would be my preferred choice and strip it back from that according to our means availability.
Unfortunately I cannot offer any technical assistance as I am a bit of a luddite but I am happy to help fund the changes necessary to maintain the site if that is what is decided to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom