• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Very Important Announcement!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang on, can't you just not upgrade it and keep it as is?
No the problem is the infrastructure we are on a legacy version of PHP, which cannot be upgraded because of the legacy Linux varient it resides on..

Xenforo 1.x cannot be upgraded with our version of PHP to Xenforo 2.x. its not supported..

No option but to build from scratch or use a managed web host that has the infrastructure implemented for you.. install xenforo

Then import the the database.. probably best installing xenforo 1.x on the new host, import the database then upgrade to xenforo 2.x

So would sticking latest version of PHP onto AWS, installing xenforo 1.x and then upgrading sort it? Or would the PHP code need looking at?

So would sticking latest version of PHP onto AWS, installing xenforo 1.x and then upgrading sort it? Or would the PHP code need looking at?
Essentially yes.. but not the latest php version as such.. the version compatible with with 1.x and 2.x once upgraded to 2x I would then upgrade the php version to the most recent

No php modifications needed.. All the addons will be dropped that I've modified as this essentially xenforo 1x install will just be the vanilla build to allow the upgrade..

Any desirable add-ons will be added to 2.x

Or you can make a copy of your XF1 installation using this guide >> https://xenforo.com/community/resources/how-to-duplicate-a-live-site-to-use-as-a-test-site.2792/

I would probably have to remove all add-ons, then you upgrade that copy to XF2.

Last edited:
You could make it easier do the upgrade on a new server in gandi then transfer the xenforo 2x installation from gandi to aws once the dependencies are in place on AWS then apply ssln additional config and skinning (Theme) for 2.x

Repoint the domain

Edit

Thinking about it your installing dependencies twice, so would upgrade on AWS

Last edited:
As others have said, I lack the tech knowledge to be a meaningful part of a hands on solution but happy to contribute to funds required to hire on a managed solution.

I would be very sad if this place closed. It's my favorite corner of the internet and I love all you cunts very much.

And Jono - you are an absolute legend. I had no idea that this place basically wasn't self-running. Thank you for all the work you've done.

Anyone got Dunk's contact details, maybe he'll get Koptalk back up-and-running?

Sad news, Jono. Thanks for the work you've done.
I would help if I could since I work in IT, but nowadays I mainly work in mainframe so we're talking technology from the 60's and I have little to no knowledge about PHP and the rest that is needed here.
Also, I just don't have the time.

Like others have mentioned, I'll definitely help fund the upkeep if you find someone external.

Needless to say, I know fuck all about this shite, but should it get to the point where donations are needed, I'll throw in.

Awesome ... so keni and mystic...
Anyone else?

In a sense, I’m helping by not helping - because my IT skillz kind of fizzle out after I switch the bleeding computer on.

I can divert some of my wine purchasing funds to someone less technology retarded than me to work their magic.

In a sense, I’m helping by not helping - because my IT skillz kind of fizzle out after I switch the bleeding computer on.

I can divert some of my wine purchasing funds to someone less technology retarded than me to work their magic.

Well - we need to see what we have in-house before we figure out if we need to go "out-house" or "take wine away from Stevo this year"

Is this the kind of thing we should be looking for?

https://www.knownhost.com/xenforo-hosting.html

If the cost of it running is in that ball park (10-20 a month) it seems a no brainer - either funded by donations or we find a way to game ad revenue e.g. set up some affiliates or ad loaded pages (maybe one sub forum with ads) that we work out a way to monetise to that level?

Seems easily funded though - and without asking people on the forum to give up time that would be much more valuable than that.

So... I’m picking up that this is all to do with Xenforomorphs - I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.... it’s the only way to be sure.
Hang on! There's a substantial dollar value attached to this installation....

I'm ok to give up some time. I might not be tech noused up, prone to the occasional drunken rants (over 3 years since then happily) but I do love this place. So from me I am happy to commit - Certainly be better if there were a few of us though. I guess it is like losing a galleon and finding a knut but the offer is there :)

Is there any of the tech in Dantes’ exoskeleton that might be worth re-purposing before it gets melted down for high treason?

Hardware only - the last fucking thing we’d need is Dantes’ AI running the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom