• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Wernot gonna get him

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that concerns me about buying Werner would be that a lot of his game revolves around his searing pace, but if teams are parked deep, as many are against us - how effective is that going to be? Still think we need to buy a lock picker for down the middle, who that'd be i don't know.
I'm not that sure you've watched his goal highlights have you ;)

he absolutely spanks it, from all ranges, with accuracy. he doesnt have a 'model' goal

I haven't seen this before. Maybe you have.

Timo Werner has declared he prefers a transfer to another league after confirming he does not intend to join Bayern Munich.
Reports in Germany this week claimed the RB Leipzig star had decided to rebuff Bayern’s advances, setting his sights on a move to the Premier League instead.

The one with a voice that could break glass speaks about Werner.

[article]
Liverpool have not ceased their interest in signing Timo Werner, but the club have made no concrete decisions around transfers given the financial implications of coronavirus and uncertainty over how it will reshape the market.
Anfield remains the forward’s destination of choice if he is to leave RB Leipzig, with the player not concealing his desire to line up under Jurgen Klopp, whom he has labelled “the best coach in the world.”

Werner has been assessed by the Premier League leaders since 2015, with their analysis escalating over the past two years given his stylistic suitability to fill an attacking role at the club.

The 24-year-old’s declarations – both publicly and privately – that he wants to improve and would not be put off by the challenge of having to fight for his place addressed the only question mark Liverpool had against him given their explosive front three of Roberto Firmino, Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane.

As detailed by The Independent, the recruitment team and Klopp subscribe to a ‘it’s not about the first three months, but the first three years’ policy and do detailed character assessments of how a player would cope with being out of the fold, as Andy Robertson and Fabinho were, for example, while absorbing the demands on and off the pitch.

There have been differing reports over the release clause inserted into the contract extension Werner signed with Leipzig last summer and the terms around it, but a talent of his age being available for around £50m was seen as good value before the global pandemic.

Liverpool were willing to sanction a deal at that cost, feeling it resembled the outlay spent on Firmino and Mane with inflation.
However, Covid-19 has removed surety from transfer planning as clubs cede income on an unprecedented level while not having any certainty over how this season and the next one will unfold.

Liverpool had already been preparing for a relatively quiet summer before the crisis unless significant problems (an injury to a key player, a core asset pushing to leave) emerged.

There is an appreciation now that any business under consideration is up in the air until there is a clearer picture over the transfer landscape across Europe.

Leipzig’s sporting director Markus Krosche has already conceded that fees in the region of £50m for the club’s in-demand stars like Werner and Dayot Upamecano “is rather unlikely, at least this summer” due to coronavirus.

Liverpool have been determined not to abandon the recruitment principles that have restored the club as a domestic and European powerhouse.
While that means eschewing blockbuster price tags unless the player is a certified game-changer like Virgil van Dijk or Alisson, it also equates to being shrewd and trying to stay ahead of the competition when the window opens.

The club have been skilled in securing deals that were largely frowned upon or generated very little buzz - Mohamed Salah, Robertson, Firmino, Mane, Gini Wijnaldum – being cases in point.
With such an emphasis on finding value this summer, Liverpool’s pedigreed analytics team will be seeking out clever moves (see Joel Matip on a free, activating Xherdan Shaqiri and Takumi Minamino’s low release clauses).
[/article]

Definitely sounds like we are being small time in asking Leipzig to lower the fee.

Leipzig do not need to sell. He has 4 years to run on his contract.

How much cheaper is he realistically going to become? Considering he was already a bargain at £50m due to his release clause I dont think his price is going to come down much. His actual market value is probably closer to £70m.

We won’t know what the market price is till we know what every club’s situation is at the end of the season. Pretty much like house prices dropping during a recession. What’s the point in having a nice asset in hand if you can’t pay the mortgage.

Didn't we do the same for Naby?

We do seem like hesitant buyers when we want to be, we've barely spent a penny in the past 3 windows.

We should be triggering that 52m release clause tonight.

Sat here bored in the kitchen working. I had flightradar24 up on my own laptop ( saddo that I am ), and saw a private Cessna lift off from John Lennon. Curiosity got the better of me and decided to track it to see where some fucker was off to during lockdown. It's just landed at Leipzig airport. Two and two makes how many today?

DAVE G YOU DANCER

What do you mean small time? Is there a pride in not trying to get a better deal that's important?
There won't be a better deal. Unless Werner specifically says he doesn't want to play for Leipzig anymore and he wants to 'only' join Liverpool.

Neither of which have happened, even though he's flirting with us.

There are some clubs which may be forced to sell players or go bust. RB Leipzig will not be among them. Therefore they hold the aces here.

A player on a 4 year to run deal, plenty of clubs other than ourselves sniffing around him...

If they don't sell for the release clause this summer, they will sit on their asset (Werner) for the next season or two, and hope the market recovers so their asset appreciates in value again to around the same value if not more. Much like owning a house in which momo refers to above.

However, I'd wager at least one club would trigger the release clause this summer and work out a payment structure with Leipzig, rather than trying to 'lower' the fee.

Didn't we do the same for Naby?

We do seem like hesitant buyers when we want to be, we've barely spent a penny in the past 3 windows.

We should be triggering that 52m release clause tonight.
We have also done very well in the transfer market since Klopp arrived. I'm quite happy to trust their judgment.

Please just get Werner, the kids going to be at the top of his game for next 5 years with potential of getting the money back if we decided to sell.

Even if he were our only signing his summer I'd be happy.

The Athletic also claim Barcelona have thrown their hat in the ring in regards to Werner. But once again he's said its Liverpool or Leipzig only.

Probably agent talk to get this over the line.

I understand we don't have a bottomless pit of money, and that COVID-19 will have financially impacted us, but it is hard to understand how the club do not have a transfer budget for the second year in a row. You'd think we would have the financial muscle to be able to compete in the window.

We have been to 2 European cup finals in 2 years, surely we have £50 million for a player.

I understand we don't have a bottomless pit of money, and that COVID-19 will have financially impacted us, but it is hard to understand how the club do not have a transfer budget for the second year in a row. You'd think we would have the financial muscle to be able to compete in the window.

We have been to 2 European cup finals in 2 years, surely we have £50 million for a player.
They probably did but if there's no fans for next year in stadiums that wipes out almost £90m in revenue. God knows what penalties clubs will have to pay back to tv companies for matches with no fans. So it isn't as simple as we can scrape £50m together. We're going to have to be smart with our budget, I expect us to sign more talented kids to supplement the older heads and watch as they flourish alongside them. Telles Magno, that Belgian kid and possibly a few more. The great thing with Werner is he's desperate to play for us and has said it's Liverpool or nothing for him, so even if we delay the transfer by a year it's no big issue. He's only 24

......The great thing with Werner is he's desperate to play for us and has said it's Liverpool or nothing for him, so even if we delay the transfer by a year it's no big issue. He's only 24
It might be a big issue for us ! We still lack any depth up front and Werner could possibly alter that at a stroke. Title and CL next season SVP.

They probably did but if there's no fans for next year in stadiums that wipes out almost £90m in revenue. God knows what penalties clubs will have to pay back to tv companies for matches with no fans. So it isn't as simple as we can scrape £50m together. We're going to have to be smart with our budget, I expect us to sign more talented kids to supplement the older heads and watch as they flourish alongside them. Telles Magno, that Belgian kid and possibly a few more. The great thing with Werner is he's desperate to play for us and has said it's Liverpool or nothing for him, so even if we delay the transfer by a year it's no big issue. He's only 24

As long as they’re playing games, I can’t see any club being penalized for lack of crowds.
TV contracts surely can't stipulate on that. Could you imagine how much City would have had to pay every season if it were?

Werner hattrick then. That gives the tabloids something to make up stories for a week about then.

The Mirror have reported he’s already held meetings with Klopp during lockdown. Virtually and not in Blackpool.

The Mirror have reported he’s already held meetings with Klopp during lockdown. Virtually and not in Blackpool.
The mirror, via the evening standard, via the Athletic.

One interesting soundbite from Falk who once again says he only has eyes for us. But that Werner has changed Marketing and Social Media management companies. And now has the same one as Klopp.

He's coming. Once Klopp gets to work on a player no other outcome is possible. Look how Virgil rejected every other club once Klopp got his hooks into him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom