• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Xabi Alonso

I just don't see why he'd want to tarnish the legacy he's built at Leverkusen.

He's liked now in 5 cities. Going to Munich you'd instantly be unwelcome in Leverkusen, and you've just won a first title for them.

I think it's between us and Leverkusen this summer. If he stays it's because he wants Madrid. I just don't see him going to Munich at all.
1. Money
2. Family
3. What level of control
4. Agent Fee

Are the main determiners in this?

1. Money
2. Family
3. What level of control
4. Agent Fee

Are the main determiners in this?

I mean you're going for Family when just 18 months ago they were living in Spain?

He'd have more control at us arguably than either Munich or Madrid. He's not poor, he's not a player anymore. you don't get agents pushing for one club over another for managing positions, the Manager would tell the agent to do one.

I just don't see why he'd want to tarnish the legacy he's built at Leverkusen.

He's liked now in 5 cities. Going to Munich you'd instantly be unwelcome in Leverkusen, and you've just won a first title for them.

I think it's between us and Leverkusen this summer. If he stays it's because he wants Madrid. I just don't see him going to Munich at all.

If he brings the first ever league title to Leverkusen in their history, I don't think would ever be unwelcome there. Do you honestly think that?

No one would give a shit - he is on the verge of delivering something no single fan of that club has ever seen before, and may have ever dreamed of.

Does anyone hate Rafa for managing Chelsea & Everton since he brought home the CL in 05? Not a single person I can think of. He's loved here.

If he brings the first ever league title to Leverkusen in their history, I don't think would ever be unwelcome there. Do you honestly think that?

No one would give a shit - he is on the verge of delivering something no single fan of that club has ever seen before, and may have ever dreamed of.

Does anyone hate Rafa for managing Chelsea & Everton since he brought home the CL in 05? Not a single person I can think of. He's loved here.

Did Rafa leave? No, he was sacked.
Did Rafa go directly to Chelsea or Everton after winning the CL? No.

Leverkusen have never won the BL, it'd take the shine off their achievement in my opinion. I've been led to believe there is a deep dislike between the Rhine and Bavaria clubs between the fans, from people I've spoken to in the past, (Dortmund vs Munich is the obvious one, although it hasn't stopped players moving to Munich and vice versa).

But yeah, I don't think they'd welcome him back with open arms at all, at least for a while.

For what it's worth, while I admire Benitez for winning the CL - I've never been in the love him category. And that affection definitely decreased when he took both those jobs you mentioned.

Last edited:
Did Rafa leave? No, he was sacked.
Did Rafa go directly to Chelsea or Everton after winning the CL? No.

Leverkusen have never won the BL, it'd take the shine off their achievement in my opinion. I've been led to believe there is a deep dislike between the Rhine and Bavaria clubs between the fans, from people I've spoken to in the past, (Dortmund vs Munich is the obvious one, although it hasn't stopped players moving to Munich and vice versa).

But yeah, I don't think they'd welcome him back with open arms at all, at least for a while.

For what it's worth, while I admire Benitez for winning the CL - I've never been in the love him category. And that affection definitely decreased when he took both those jobs you mentioned.
Imagine if in the summer of 2020, Jurgen had said "Thanks Liverpool, I've won you the league after a 30 year wait, but now I'm off to my dream, job at Man Utd.". How many of us would have welcomed him back with open arms after that :)

F'ck it, I burned Stevie G's eyes out on a poster just after he won us European Cup #5, in that 24 hour period when he was off to the Chavs.

Regarding Bayern Munich's turnover of managers, I think the issue was with Salihamidzic.

His reign as Sporting Director was from 31 July 2017 to 27 May 2023. During this period of time, excluding Ancelotti who was already in charge and was subsequently sacked by him, there were 1 caretaker + 5 head coaches appointed (inc. Tuchel).

During his predecessor Sammer's reign from 2012 to 2016, Heynckes retired while Guardiola left at the end of his contract.

With Christoph Freund and Max Eberl in charge now, there'll be a "reset" (and I think their record at their previous clubs suggests they should be better at their job than Salihamidzic was). They splashed the cash on Min Jae and Kane and still have pretty good core of players at the club.

As for longevity in the job, there are rare exceptions like Simone and Gasperini (besides Klopp and Guardiola, obviously) but the average tenure seems to be ~3 seasons. Guardiola was at Barca and Bayern for 4 and 3 years respectively. Emery's stay during the successful spell at Sevilla was for 3 years. Ever since AC Milan days (8 years), Ancelotti's longest stay is his current 2nd spell at Real Madrid (3rd year). That hasn't stopped them winning silverwares/doing well wherever they go (i.e. ambitious/talented managers don't/shouldn't worry about job security "that" much, but rather focus on the prospects of achieving success).

Regarding Leverkusen fans' reaction if Alonso were to make the move to Bayern Munich, I think they will factor in (if it happens) winning their 1st ever Bundesliga title (and possibly a double or even treble); him being an ex-player there; being used to seeing Bayern being the "bully" and taking away other teams' best properties.

I do not mean to say Alonso should/will choose Bayern ahead of us, just stating why I won't begrudge him if it does happen.

From this old post above: "Regarding Leverkusen fans' reaction if Alonso were to make the move to Bayern Munich, I think they will factor in (if it happens) winning their 1st ever Bundesliga title (and possibly a double or even treble); him being an ex-player there; being used to seeing Bayern being the "bully" and taking away other teams' best properties."

Is the rivalry between Leverkusen and Bayern Munich that fierce, as compared to say Man Utd and Liverpool or Real Madrid and Barcelona? Ballack, Lucio, Ze Roberto, Kovac all moved from Leverkusen to Bayern. If Alonso wins the league and cup double (or even treble), it will mitigate a lot of the ill feelings too.

Anyone who thinks he wouldn't take the Bayern Munich job has forgotten that he played for a Basque club then ended up at Real Madrid.

Again though, he didn't directly go to Madrid, I think I remember reading somewhere that although he admired Madrid, if he went there directly he was well aware he'd have been unwelcome back in the Basque country.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, and maybe my logic is based on that old article. I just don't think he'd go to Munich now, is all.

Again though, he didn't directly go to Madrid, I think I remember reading somewhere that although he admired Madrid, if he went there directly he was well aware he'd have been unwelcome back in the Basque country.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, and maybe my logic is based on that old article. I just don't think he'd go to Munich now, is all.
Nothing is impossible in football. If Jurgen went there it wouldn't surprise me. Nothing would. Torres to Chelski, Henderson going to fucking Saudi. Figo to Real from Barca. Rafa managing Everton and Chelski. Genuinely nothing would surprise me

Nothing is impossible in football. If Jurgen went there it wouldn't surprise me. Nothing would. Torres to Chelski, Henderson going to fucking Saudi. Figo to Real from Barca. Rafa managing Everton and Chelski. Genuinely nothing would surprise me
Neil Lennon managing Glasgow Rangers? @Silver Sean managing Arsenal? There are limits.

Nailed it? Only a glory supporter would think that's 'nailed it'.

They don't understand a) the bundesliga and b) the fact we wouldn't accept Alonso later down the line he he rejected us for an 'easier job'.
Klopp rejected us earlier in his career. If Alonso is the best candidate down the line we’ll make the best business decision, not some petty teenager decision.

According to Christian Falk, Bayern have yet to make contact with Alonso.

The successors to Tuchel are now being discussed at FC Bayern. Xabi Alonso is still Munich's dream coach. But - despite many reports - there were still no negotiations between Bayern and Alonso. What speaks for it: When Liverpool contacted Iñaki Ibáñez, Alonso's agent, the agent immediately communicated the Reds' interest to those in charge at Leverkusen. That didn't happen in the case of Bayern. FC Bayern is still waiting for a signal from Alonso as to whether he can imagine a move to Munich. As soon as that happens, they would start negotiations.

https://thedailybriefing.io/p/christian-falks-fact-files-liverpool-183

I would happily manage Arsenal. I don't know the first thing about managing so would be able to get them relegated in quick order (y)
There's no way a team as good as the mighty Arsenal would get relegated.

How about Klopp going to Utd and he took Thiago with him? Or Klopp going to Bayern then Utd!

Whoever takes it, he has to have the respect of a group of players with high expectations. Only a few of the managers mentioned will have that

In terms of development it would be smarter to go to Bayern than go come to us. Winning the league would be piss easy and would give him experience of managing a big club.

View: https://twitter.com/OptaFranz/status/1766932504487866531

View: https://twitter.com/OptaFranz/status/1766929457288204414
1710139104102.png

I mean you're going for Family when just 18 months ago they were living in Spain?

He'd have more control at us arguably than either Munich or Madrid. He's not poor, he's not a player anymore. you don't get agents pushing for one club over another for managing positions, the Manager would tell the agent to do one.
When I say Family, he will sit down with his family and ask them, and what they think. If his family say they don't want to come to England now, you honestly think he will ignore them when the Bayern job could offer just as much money if not more?

According to Christian Falk, Bayern have yet to make contact with Alonso.

The successors to Tuchel are now being discussed at FC Bayern. Xabi Alonso is still Munich's dream coach. But - despite many reports - there were still no negotiations between Bayern and Alonso. What speaks for it: When Liverpool contacted Iñaki Ibáñez, Alonso's agent, the agent immediately communicated the Reds' interest to those in charge at Leverkusen. That didn't happen in the case of Bayern. FC Bayern is still waiting for a signal from Alonso as to whether he can imagine a move to Munich. As soon as that happens, they would start negotiations.

https://thedailybriefing.io/p/christian-falks-fact-files-liverpool-183
This says it all - he dreams of nothing but Liverpool.

Xabi’s kids are 11, 13 and 16. 2 girls and a boy.

Moving to Spain or staying in Germany might be easier than going to England no?

Back
Top Bottom