• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Xabi Alonso

Xabi set to stay at Leverkusen and not on the final short list of candidates according to Joyce.

Amorim it is then.

The most important thing going forward is the structure of the club in terms of sporting director and the set up. That is now top notch. No doubt that Edwards will get the best manager suited for us.

UPDATE:
@David_Ornstein
on Xabi Alonso:"I don't know of any definitive decision being made yet but clearly Liverpool have known from the start that Alonso staying at Leverkusen or moving to Bayern are also strong options available to him."

"So there is no guarantee he comes to Liverpool and I'm sure the club will be calm with that possibility."That's why they are conducting a proper process and I'm sure whatever happens - and regardless of whether or not it is Alonso - they will make a really strong appointment."

I imagine the international window was a good time to get positive vibes from managers before they get too busy and focus on the end of the season.

Alonso not giving the vibes and they are either putting the shits up him or have decided to move on.

If Xabi is staying at BL then he's not getting the best manager for us is he! :p
The most important thing going forward is the structure of the club in terms of sporting director and the set up. That is now top notch. No doubt that Edwards will get the best manager suited for us.

2023-05-03T091056Z_1874735804_RC2RLN9OSX69_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-ENGLAND-LEE-ALLARDYCE-1683125725.jpg

I was of the belief that he will make his decision at the end of the season.
Now if it's true he has decided to stay 1 more season at BL, when 2 major clubs would be willing to hire him is he wants Real Madrid more.
Let's be honest, they are the best run club in the world. Last season Ancelotti did not win the league or CL but they did not sack him. So they are not as ruthless as in the past.

Couple of thoughts

1. Yes this could be a smokescreen
2. If he's decided to show loyalty to Leverkusen, he's earned my respect for that.
3. Alonso is my first choice, but he is as much of a risk as Amorim /De Zerbi

I was always going to be very surprised if he came here. Been saying that since day one.

Couple of thoughts

1. Yes this could be a smokescreen
2. If he's decided to show loyalty to Leverkusen, he's earned my respect for that.
3. Alonso is my first choice, but he is as much of a risk as Amorim /De Zerbi

The bottom point is the most pertinent and seems to get lost in much of the fawning over Xabi. There's an argument to be had that at De Zerbi is lesser risk in that he has at least he's successfully deployed his tactical game in the Premier League. Knowing' and 'playing' in the PL 18 odd years ago counts for fuck all and plenty of commentary seems to ball on this being key to a successful transition. People also generally forget that it's not just Xabi we would need. It's his team and everything else. That's a lot of people uprooting their lives, kids, schools, language yadda, yadda. It doesn't have to be right for one person. It has to be right for many.

It's to his credit, but we should also not ignore that Xabi has never had a difficult period in management. It's all gone near enough perfect to date. The manager generally earns their bank when things are less than ideal and the scrunity is out. Klopps final season at Dortmind would have no doubt helped him at Liverpool at periods, last season especially. Alonso does not have those experiences to draw upon. It's the downside of any young manager, and it's partly I'm surprised why Emery has not been a talking point to date.

Last edited:
Ballbag said Xabi will decide in 3-4 weeks time. Normally I wouldnt pay attention to him but regarding a Spanish manager I’d probably say its right

German media reporting that Xabi will announce in todays press conference that he is staying at Leverkusen.

Back
Top Bottom