• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Xabi Alonso

I’m not bothered about Xabi, it’s more weird the notion somehow Xabi has some special undying love for us when he will likely pick about 2-3 other clubs above us. Some of the Xabi (similar to Suarez) love now is a bit too much and rather undeserving.
Gotta agree. I’m also willing to wager that we’d put feelers in once Klopp told the club back in October/November and were told politely no. We then chose to let the story run once Klopp’s departure became public, probably leading reporters round the mulberry bush.

My bitterness is mainly tongue in cheek.

However, don't get all holier than thou Dreamifraud.

You were preaching he would choose Bayern over us. Not that he'd stay at Leverkusen over both of us
The premise of my point was that he would be stupid to choose us right now after Klopp. If he decided to leave Bayern were always a safer bet and more likely.
Coming here now is a huge gamble for whoever takes it and will most likely end in failure. Just how it goes following one of the greatest managers ever and cheating City to contend with.

Surprised he chose to stay tbh. I really thought he would go to bayern munich as that seemed the safer and more logical choice. But i guess staying at bayer would be less pressure and he can experience managing in the CL with low expectations. Got to say they didn't impress me against Qarabag at all. They were pretty lucky to get through. Not that im knocking his achievements because no matter what league you are being unbeaten is ridiculously impressive BUT has he really played a good team yet apart from a bayern munich team led by one of the most overrated managers going filled with plenty of very average players. I'll be watching the west ham game with interest. I was hoping we would get them in the next round.

The premise of my point was that he would be stupid to choose us right now after Klopp. If he decided to leave Bayern were always a safer bet and more likely.
Coming here now is a huge gamble for whoever takes it and will most likely end in failure. Just how it goes following one of the greatest managers ever and cheating City to contend with.

In pure sporting terms you are correct. However it'd always be the safer bet.

Tuchel has managed to come 2nd in effectively a one horse race. It's like the year Leceister won the league.

I disagree that whoever takes our gig is likely to end in failure though.

Tuchel has managed to come 2nd in effectively a one horse race. It's like the year Leceister won the league.

I don’t think there are any safe bets any more. In common with @Nomad, look at how Tüchel has made a pig’s ear out of a silk purse.

That said, I don’t think we’re as close to him as the other two if I’m being honest which is why I just never believed that he’d be coming here anyway.

City winning 5/6 titles not make it more likely than not? Or is winning not the bench mark for success anymore?

1. Totally understand the logic of his decision
2. Feck that guy. He turned us down

Close the thread. Don’t want to hear his name again for a long time in relation to managing us

Last edited:
I was fairly certain he'd come because we fired the entire coaching staff and that only makes sense in the context of a board that knows exactly what happens next.

It still only makes sense in that context, so in this context, with no plan, it makes zero sense. In fact it seems ridiculous.

I was fairly certain he'd come because we fired the entire coaching staff and that only makes sense in the context of a board that knows exactly what happens next.

It still only makes sense in that context, so in this context, with no plan, it makes zero sense. In fact it seems ridiculous.

Did we really fire the entire coaching staff? I was under the impression they all wanted to commit ritual suicide with Klopp. I could be wrong obviously

Did we really fire the entire coaching staff? I was under the impression they all wanted to commit ritual suicide with Klopp. I could be wrong obviously
You're right. There is going to be a mass seppuku ceremony after the game against Wolves.

Well either way we've parted ways. I guess they could be unparted. Maybe it was because their contracts are all tied up together but seems unlikely. I dunno. The whole thing seems daft. FSG are lots of things but usually not daft.

I mean by that metric Klopp is also a failure. Give your head a wobble.
Klopp has won everything. It will be extremely hard for any other manager to come in and do that. He also won’t be given four years either with no trophies. So yes failure is more likely than not.

Well that's very presumptuous of him.
Who says that he'll be in a position to manage us in the future?
When you've got Liverpool, Bayern, and Real on the phone asking about your availability, it probably gives you a fair bit of confidence that the opportunity will be there eventually.
And let's also not criticise him for what a writer wrote, rather than an actual quote.

It's pretty obvious he's doing another year at Bayer before replacing Ancelloti right? I love Xabi, but Madrid was always his true love, we've learnt this before and we'll learn it again.

With all that in mind, it really feels like a miracle that we got Klopp all those years ago. A manager that could pretty much choose any club he wanted, choosing a club that finished 6th. Most managers would choose the easier options.
I thought Xabi might have been different to most. But then again he really might think it's too early for him, or that he's loyal to his current club.
Klopp says he rejected good offers while a Mainz many years back.

With all that in mind, it really feels like a miracle that we got Klopp all those years ago. A manager that could pretty much choose any club he wanted, choosing a club that finished 6th. Most managers would choose the easier options.
I thought Xabi might have been different to most. But then again he really might think it's too early for him, or that he's loyal to his current club.
Klopp says he rejected good offers while a Mainz many years back.
Klopp isn't just a special manager he's a special person. Not motivated by money but by the empathy he feels. As he said at the time Liverpool just felt right for him.

It's pretty obvious he's doing another year at Bayer before replacing Ancelloti right? I love Xabi, but Madrid was always his true love, we've learnt this before and we'll learn it again.
He's Basque though, isn't he? Does any Basque truly love Madrid?

Leverkusen's unbeaten streak minutes away from ending.....Xabi has 7 mins to save his job!!!

Some season Stuttgart are having mind, fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom