• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Arsenal post match thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, I've seen loads of people going about Markovic being slow.

He looked dead quick yesterday. Think he looks dead good.

I think Markovic will shine next season.

He's got shitloads of talent, but still looks of in terms of match fitness, possibly due to the pace of the league etc.

He lacks a little conviction / confidence at the moment, if he learns to attack the situation when running at a player or shooting with confidence, and stops feeling like the kid who's lucky to be playing, he'll be lethal. As you say, I expect to see him develop that next season.

[Markovic]

Yeah, but he's doing all his best work 50 metres from goal. I know it's a needs-must situation at the moment, but Brodge has to find a way to get him closer to goal.

I think it's the opposite, actually. Markovic needs space to run with the ball; he loses the ball far too easily in the attacking third at the moment. It's an astute decision from Rodgers to play him at wing-back so he has more space to run into and can build some game time and confidence with less pressure to produce goals and assists. The only downside is he gets tired after 60 minutes or so, because wing-back in the most energy-draining position on the pitch.

The thing about those wages is when you add them up and multiply by 52 you get to £80m

But in the accounts the wages are around £130m

What gives?

"Just one more thing, Mr Ayre....."

Columbo-007.jpg

[Markovic]

I think it's the opposite, actually. Markovic needs space to run with the ball; he loses the ball far too easily in the attacking thirds at the moment. It's an astute decision from Rodgers to play him at wing-back so he has more space to run into and can build some game time and confidence with less pressure to produce goals and assists. The only downside is he gets tired after 60 minutes or so, because wing-back in the most energy-draining position on the pitch.

It's a fair point that, Rurik.

He lacks a little conviction / confidence at the moment, if he learns to attack the situation when running at a player or shooting with confidence, and stops feeling like the kid who's lucky to be playing, he'll be lethal. As you say, I expect to see him develop that next season.

I thought the jink inside, getting his head up and chipping the ball straight onto Henderson's head for the assist in the game against Bournemouth was a sign of a calm and talented player with a bit of vision. He's also tricky and will draw a fair few fouls. He's improving.

Too right they do.

In some areas you simply can't stitch, part of the skull I would imagine qualifies.

Had he been in a hospital I'm sure they may have been able to carefully stitch or maybe glue knowing he would be able to remain still until it healed to some extent.

The thing about those wages is when you add them up and multiply by 52 you get to £80m

But in the accounts the wages are around £130m

What gives?

Is that the total amount for the club ? Reserves and youth included ? That will add a few million, plus BR and those that Gerry mentioned.

[Markovic]

I think it's the opposite, actually. Markovic needs space to run with the ball; he loses the ball far too easily in the attacking third at the moment. It's an astute decision from Rodgers to play him at wing-back so he has more space to run into and can build some game time and confidence with less pressure to produce goals and assists. The only downside is he gets tired after 60 minutes or so, because wing-back in the most energy-draining position on the pitch.
Yeah, I think that's an excellent point Rurik. I commented after Bournemouth that it was a mixed bag from Markovic. He looked very good but needed room to get the ball under control and room to run. When he was in the last third he often looked to be chasing the ball rather than running with it and often had to get a toe in to get it to a teammate.

Contrast that with how Lallana runs with the ball - it looks glued to his feet. Bournemouth provided him more space than a lot of clubs in the league.

As I said, I thought he was great against Arsenal for 60 minutes but the extra space at wing-back suits him.

The other side, which Ryan is probably noting, is he makes great runs in and around the penalty area. Combining these two strengths is tricky but I'm happier than what I thought I'd be with him at wing-back.

Lucas for example. I think we can & should get better at dm, & his flaws piss me right off.

However he's our best dm without doubt, yet some people slag him off & don't want him to play. I just don't get it.
Are you not the inventor of FLUF? Also, those aren't mutually exclusive points of view, just clarifying.

Are you not the inventor of FLUF? Also, those aren't mutually exclusive points of view, just clarifying.
I am indeed the inventor of FLUF.

And fluffy's unnecessary fouls are amongst his greatest flaws, as I mentioned he has.

Despite that it doesn't mean I'm myopic. I may think we can get a more efficient, younger DM & long for that, & I may be able to see lucas with warts & all, but I still recognise we're a better side with him in it than not, esp with this system exposing the back line so much.

Which was kinda my overall point.

@FoxForceFive
Can the title of this thread be put back to what is was originally please?

Ya know, now all the silly (but highly entertaining) stuff got stamped on by this facist regime moved out and locked.

I thought, football wise, that was our best performance of the season. No real striker, though, killed us.

Jones 6; Heart in mouth stuff. Thought he could have done better for their first but had no chance on their second. Far more accomplished on the ground than Ming, a little better when the ball comes in the area but not much. Certainly not as good a shot stopper. Good save at the end which saved us a point and my laptop from getting smashed.

Sakho 7.5; I'll hear other comments but I thought he was really good. Some great tackles and was really impressed with his passing. He's got less pace than Sami and Carra's genetic offspring but thought he was really good, accomplished and a presence on that side. Very encouraged.

Skrtel 7; I don't know how much blame to give him for the goal. Certainly should have done better but also should have had some help. Thought he was pretty strong for the rest of the game and gets and extra point for the equaliser with what was, frankly, an excellent header.

Toure 6.5; Few nervy moments but otherwise I thought he played well. Tried to role past opponents a few times and lost the ball which wasn't so good but no real errors though he was caught a little short with their second. He does bring an organisational voice to our backline.

Markovic 7; Didn't end up with an end product but really starting to show why he was such a good signing. I missed it if it was explained - why did he come off? Had one really good chance and another fair chance in the first half, ran at the defense, linked up beautifully with Coutinho and Sterling on occasions. Lost the ball a couple of times trying to take them on but that's what happens when you try to take the game on. Looked really good.

Henderson 6; I reckon I'm being generous here. Got an assist when Coutinho still had a lot to do for the opener but it was a good ball in traffic and deserves credit. Thought he was utterly AWOL for their equaliser and really did nothing else all game until the last 15 when, stretched, his energy started to come to the fore. He's got a big role to play for us in the future but he's not justifying his place right now.

Lucas 7.5; I'd have given him an 8 until the last 10 minutes when he either started to lose concentration or was really tired. Excellent first half where he kept us very solid, recycled the ball quickly and helped get players into space. Good effort which should have had us a corner was followed by an exceptional run, touch and shot which would have been goal of the week but missed by a fraction.

Gerrard 6.5; Also good. Some of those saying he shouldn't be on the pitch need to have a look at themselves. Thought he was very controlled in midfield, got in some good tackles and his shooting boots seem to be coming back - albeit slowly. One thing missing was some of his laser style passing which left him completely in the first 15 minutes and was erratic otherwise.

Lallana 7.5; My MOM. He'd have had an 8 as well if it wasn't for the fact he also tired and disappeared for 15 minutes before the final onslaught. I said in the match thread, some of his little cameos are reminiscent of Suarez; his turns, tight control, movement, work rate and technique with both feet are a joy to watch.

Coutinho 7; Also good. Constantly giving them a nightmare when on the ball, well taken goal which he did a lot himself and also got in their face which I really liked. Had the chance, though, to be an absolute hero but missed a couple of very gettable chances with a cuffed shot straight into the ground. If he can get that sorted he'll be a very complete player.

Sterling 6; Seems harsh giving him a 6 cause he worked his socks off. Looked a little lost in the central role on this one though and he was effectively closed down by their back line. Was a lot more effective when he shifted out wide with Borini's introduction.

Subs
Borini 5; Did what he's always done. Ran hard, chased lost causes, worked, found space but did nothing with it. Stupid first yellow and an atrocious second which could have been a straight red. Surely his last game for us

Lambert 5.5; Had a very limited opportunity and didn't really make it count . Wished he'd had the header rather than Borini but, ultimately, he's our third ranked striker and emphasises the fact we needed to buy better in that area in the summer.

Rodgers 7; Thought the side played for him and it was a good side he put out. People can say what they like about our backline but, really, we looked very solid and in control against a very good passing team but for two errors - both of which cost us. Ultimately he's paying the price for relying too heavily on Sturridge. Had he been able to put a fit Daniel on the pitch we win that match, IMO, quite comfortably. He desperately needs January - or Sturridge fit - or both.

Hendo is positioned in the middle and kolo starts behind Skertel. Hendo does absolutely nothing wrong at that goal.

At the same time it is amusing to read you assessment of Gerrard. No mention of the ultra stupid freekick he gives away for the first goal and the Hollywood pass gone bad for the 2nd. Not to mention the inept backtracking into the box covering, ehhhhmmm, nothing as usual.

You are so biased it's scary.

I thought Cotinhou did fantastic. Easily my motm.

Almost all agreed when Gerrard was moved from DM, after 20 matches of displaying just how bad he actually is at DM, so seeing him reintroduced at that role is beyond painful. Read the Gerrard thread if in doubt.

To say he doesn't play as a DM in the system is ... Well, I lack words. When we are defending he is expected to provide exactly the same as Lucas or at the very least give decent cover. They are side by side ffs. The roles change when we are off the ball but there are two major phases in football: on and off. Can you not see what a disaster he is off the ball?
Can I not find threads here from 2008 when Rafa was moving him around the pitch where you, together with the rest of us - agreed he should stay as far away from the defense a possible? That's one of the few things I recall we ever agreed on on SCM.

It's also a huge problem with the lack of pace. They walk past him. He stops absolutely nothing. Intercepts nothing.

Some of those saying Gerrard shouldn't start on the bench need to have a look at themselves?

Yes, I've moaned about him loads but Coutinho really got his teeth into that game and it was great to see, because there's a fantastic talent there.

Hendo is positioned in the middle and kolo starts behind Skertel. Hendo does absolutely nothing wrong at that goal.

At the same time it is amusing to read you assessment of Gerrard. No mention of the ultra stupid freekick he gives away for the first goal and the Hollywood pass gone bad for the 2nd. Not to mention the inept backtracking into the box covering, ehhhhmmm, nothing as usual.

You are so biased it's scary.

I thought Cotinhou did fantastic. Easily my motm.

Almost all agreed when Gerrard was moved from DM, after 20 matches of displaying just how bad he actually is at DM, so seeing him reintroduced at that role is beyond painful. Read the Gerrard thread if in doubt.

To say he doesn't play as a DM in the system is ... Well, I lack words. When we are defending he is expected to provide exactly the same as Lucas or at the very least give decent cover. They are side by side ffs. The roles change when we are off the ball but there are two major phases in football: on and off. Can you not see what a disaster he is off the ball?
Can I not find threads here from 2008 when Rafa was moving him around the pitch where you, together with the rest of us - agreed he should stay as far away from the defense a possible? That's one of the few things I recall we ever agreed on on SCM.

It's also a huge problem with the lack of pace. They walk past him. He stops absolutely nothing. Intercepts nothing.

Some of those saying Gerrard shouldn't start on the bench need to have a look at themselves?
Soooo, Wolands mistress is in Denmark. [emoji37]

English may not be your first language so, to clarify, I said Coutinho had an excellent game. MOM - no, that was Lallana but you're allowed to be wrong about that.

Henderson heads straight for the centre of the area when the free is taken, doesn't win a thing and is nowhere near where he should be as a right wing back. He also strolled up the field like a school girl for their second but I've said my piece on him and his current standard.

Your personal hatred of Gerrard and your inability to use any footballing nous where he's concerned is duly noted. He was certainly a long way from his best and our best - but he was still better than Henderson which apparently burns you. Best you learn to live with it cause he'll be part of the teams resurgence going forward.

Hehe, agree to disagree?

A lot of attacking but no actual addressing of the points I made... Maybe you didn't think I made any...?

I agree... I dislike seeing Gerrard at DM and I think a lot will change once we don't have to carry the legend.

There is no hatred... That's the same as saying I'm not a fan - well done.

I will give you this: we are both bias towards both players.

Your Motm?

I thought he was really good yeah, I think the issue with him and Lallana is that they have had no pace around or ahead of them, so it's understandable that we've seen indecision and misplaced passes.The set up at the moment looks exciting again, in attack anyway.

Hehe, agree to disagree?

A lot of attacking but no actual addressing of the points I made... Maybe you didn't think I made any...?

I agree... I dislike seeing Gerrard at DM and I think a lot will change once we don't have to carry the legend.

There is no hatred... That's the same as saying I'm not a fan - well done.

I will give you this: we are both bias towards both players.
Nah, you made some but there was so much vitriol in the post I doubted any rational analysis would be possible.

I thought the first goal came from a dive. I did raise the fact Gerrard gave the ball away and failed to cover for it in another thread. I referred to this here saying his passing was absent which it was.

I said last year I wanted Gerrard further forward and stated it many times this season. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be on the pitch otherwise. He suffered (like Hendo, Coutinho) from no movement this season until recently. Like Lallana, however, he can make things happen and we need more of that, not less.

I said Coutinho was very good but I thought Lallana was better and Lucas more effective. Toss up for he or Sakho but the Frenchman was a bonus in a troublesome area so I gave him 3rd in the MOM thread.

Fuck... I agree with most of that. How boring... Sorry.

I think one of the best matches from Gerrard this season was the cameo he made in Madrid. Thought he really changed the game when he came on. I would love to see more of that. Also think we have plenty of creative players. If we absolutely have to start with Gerrard I think we need him further up field.

I am indeed the inventor of FLUF.

And fluffy's unnecessary fouls are amongst his greatest flaws, as I mentioned he has.

Despite that it doesn't mean I'm myopic. I may think we can get a more efficient, younger DM & long for that, & I may be able to see lucas with warts & all, but I still recognise we're a better side with him in it than not, esp with this system exposing the back line so much.

Which was kinda my overall point.

I figured. Just clarifying. Changing opinion based on evidence is a sign of intelligence, not the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom