• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ashes 2013-14

They'll be up for it. I'm 100% positive about that. The Aussies and all their bluster have over egged themselves I feel but we'll we'll see. The replacement for Trott is a slight worry. He is after all, irreplaceable.

Well not on this years form. I would like to see Balance get a game, a very aggressive batsman, he could be anything. We need to be a little less passive and up the scoring rate, the Aussies got away with this at the Gabba. Apart from day 1 they weren't under pressure at all. Really hope Trott comes back as good as he has been but thats going to be unlikely.

We need to man up and stand up to them, il'd like to see us take it up another notch on what they are doing and really get in their faces but we have a fair few wet blankets in our team unfortunately plus we don't have a real quick bowler to bowl 90mph at their throats, Finn used to be 90mph but all the fucking around with him by the coaches seems to of taken off a few mph.

Finn has changed back against the coaches advice to his longer run up and has been bowling quick - up to 94mph and just as fast as M Johnson in the recent one dayers for example. We missed a trick at the Gabba going for Tremlett with his greater control as with the benefit of hindsight that pitch would have suited Finn like no other. However he definately must not play in Adelaide as reverse swing comes into play.

Well not on this years form. I would like to see Balance get a game, a very aggressive batsman, he could be anything. We need to be a little less passive and up the scoring rate, the Aussies got away with this at the Gabba. Apart from day 1 they weren't under pressure at all. Really hope Trott comes back as good as he has been but thats going to be unlikely.

Yep and especially against Nathan Lyon, he needs to be smacked out the the attack, hes so average but our batsman have this habit of letting these type of spinners dictate to them, it embarassing really, Bruce Martin and Kane Williamson in NZ was a joke situation.

Finn has changed back against the coaches advice to his longer run up and has been bowling quick - up to 94mph and just as fast as M Johnson in the recent one dayers for example. We missed a trick at the Gabba going for Tremlett with his greater control as with the benefit of hindsight that pitch would have suited Finn like no other. However he definately must not play in Adelaide as reverse swing comes into play.

Didn't know that, glad to hear it though, obviously Perth should be a pitch for him.

Well yeah I agree with that - You seem a sage sort @tony so I'll go along with your faith in Ballance - I know very little about the lad myself but would be happy for him to be given a chance. I've just had a look at his stats and they seem encouraging. He can bowl leg breaks as well - Which is a bonus!

Yeah Ballances 1st class stats are top notch, he will definately get a run at some point, failed in all the warm up matches so far although hit a 50 today.

Yeah Ballances 1st class stats are top notch, he will definately get a run at some point, failed in all the warm up matches so far although hit a 50 today.
Yep I saw that. Shame the rest of them failed so dismally against a very ordinary bowling line up. It was nudging 45 degrees though so maybe I should let them off.

Yep and especially against Nathan Lyon, he needs to be smacked out the the attack, hes so average but our batsman have this habit of letting these type of spinners dictate to them, it embarassing really, Bruce Martin and Kane Williamson in NZ was a joke situation.

To be fair to Lyon his top spinners into the rough - by the way a very negative angle - were not that easy to hit and if you look at his dismissals there was an amazing amount of bounce which he won't enjoy in Adelaide.

Yep I saw that. Shame the rest of them failed so dismally against a very ordinary bowling line up. It was nudging 45 degrees though so maybe I should let them off.

Apparently the pitch is very slow indeed and the outfield extraordinarily so. Balance ran himself out when he was nailed on for a ton according to 5 live this morning. From what I've seen he is a step up from Bairstow and deffo one for the future. He doesn't look as if he would be intimidated either, looks like a tough Rhody

Pretty much the whole of Australia wants Tremlett to stay in the side. Bresnan frightens, doesn't give much away, and can bat. I've no idea why he's not in the side.

Slight chance of rain @Portly but I think if there are any breaks in play they will be minimal. Completely different track to Brisbane. No bounce and nothing to really offer the seamers. Spin could play a part late on but I think this could well be a draw (Especially if there is any time lost) Bresnan to come in is good news. Great bowler and as Tony pointed out adds to the tail significantly. It will be interesting to see if Cook changes his team based on the toss.

I think this is all about the two batting line ups and the toss. I'm still going for a draw though. :(

Pretty much the whole of Australia wants Tremlett to stay in the side. Bresnan frightens, doesn't give much away, and can bat. I've no idea why he's not in the side.
He's just recovered from a stress fracture that's why.

Slight chance of rain @Portly but I think if there are any breaks in play they will be minimal. Completely different track to Brisbane. No bounce and nothing to really offer the seamers. Spin could play a part late on but I think this could well be a draw (Especially if there is any time lost) Bresnan to come in is good news. Great bowler and as Tony pointed out adds to the tail significantly. It will be interesting to see if Cook changes his team based on the toss.

I think this is all about the two batting line ups and the toss. I'm still going for a draw though. :(

Bresnan will probably play - one of the best at reverse swing which will be more of a factor here but I wonder if we will be really bold and bring in Stokes and Panesar instead of Bresnan, to play two spinners. Australia have purged themselves of all the lefthanders as they couldn't handle Swann and in the past they've never managed to take Monty on who is more effective against righthanders. By the way the pitch may do a bit early on before flattening out.

Bresnan will probably play - one of the best at reverse swing which will be more of a factor here but I wonder if we will be really bold and bring in Stokes and Panesar instead of Bresnan, to play two spinners. Australia have purged themselves of all the lefthanders as they couldn't handle Swann and in the past they've never managed to take Monty on who is more effective against righthanders. By the way the pitch may do a bit early on before flattening out.
That's what I mean about the toss. I think it would be easy to go with Monty. It makes sense in a way. I don't think they will though. It would mean some sort of radical approach which is sooooo not England.

Oh well - Bummer big time. Aussies win the toss and I'll be amazed if a result is anything other than an Aussie one or more likely a draw. I fucking hate South Australia btw. *sulk face*

I hope that Carberry drop doesn't cost us because it was the sort of catch you throw your 4 year old in the garden ( and most of the time they would catch it ! ) Important mornings play tomorrow

Yes it would be good to have taken Haddin's wicket before stumps. He is one of those irritating Aussie wicketkeeper/batsmen who can hang around scoring runs for ages!

I think on balance it was Australia's day. My main cause for optimism is that this very dry drop-in wicket could prove England's decision to play two spinners was correct.

England do have an advantage that this drop-in wicket seems to be offering no assistance to the pace bowlers, while we have the option of spin from both ends of a dry wicket. 500 should be achievable if the England batsmen aren't spooked by the pace of Mitchell Johnson. Maybe the moustache will provide a bit of air resistance and slow him down.

England do have an advantage that this drop-in wicket seems to be offering no assistance to the pace bowlers, while we have the option of spin from both ends of a dry wicket. 500 should be achievable if the England batsmen aren't spooked by the pace of Mitchell Johnson. Maybe the moustache will provide a bit of air resistance and slow him down.

We definately need to keep them in the field for more than four sessions, if nothing else to keep our attack fresh.

You'd think that with Clarke and Haddin still at the crease, along with a reasonable Aussie tail that they'll make circa 400.

That's decent given how ordinary they've batted, and how much England have let them off the hook.

This Test will be decided by what England can do with the bat in their first innings in my view. See off the new ball, and they could bat for 6 months on that belter of a wicket. But you're gonna see an Australian bowling attack foaming at the mouth to begin with.

I reckon England's first innings with the bat will define this series. Crumble and Australia will take them 2-0 and it's murder she wrote. stand up and knock 500 odd out, and it's on like donkey kong. Gonna be an enthralling couple of days cricket.

You'd think that with Clarke and Haddin still at the crease, along with a reasonable Aussie tail that they'll make circa 400.

That's decent given how ordinary they've batted, and how much England have let them off the hook.

This Test will be decided by what England can do with the bat in their first innings in my view. See off the new ball, and they could bat for 6 months on that belter of a wicket. But you're gonna see an Australian bowling attack foaming at the mouth to begin with.

I reckon England's first innings with the bat will define this series. Crumble and Australia will take them 2-0 and it's murder she wrote. stand up and knock 500 odd out, and it's on like donkey kong. Gonna be an enthralling couple of days cricket.

I think Lyon might have more of a say in it than the quicks but its a grinding out sort of pitch and that suits England style. As always you need a bit of luck, but if England can match their score then I think we may be able to spin out the Aussies in the second innings fairly cheaply. It was turning a bit today albeit slowly and thats going to come more and more into play.

Back
Top Bottom