• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ashes 2013-14

I'm not sure that with Trott gone, England are still a grinding team. Although Joe Root can bat incredibly slowly sometimes.

Australia turning the screw, I can see nothing other than another Australian victory here, batting 4th will be a thankless task on this pitch with the weather forecast.

Swann and Panesar getting absolutely dicked here. I commented on this in the first test too, the tactic of aggressively going after Swann in particular has been so refreshing. Is a draw the best England can hope for here?

I know it's not related to the Ashes - but SA smashed India in the opening ODI in Joburg and Quinton De Kock hit his maiden century. He's the next great SA player - he's almost 21 and he's just a phenomenal batting talent. Watch out for him.

The track is so flat - I knew the toss would be crucial. England will do well to avoid the follow on to be honest. Everyone thinks it's going to fall apart over the weekend which is ideal for the Aussies. If England get out of this with a draw (which is possible) They will have done well.

The track is so flat - I knew the toss would be crucial. England will do well to avoid the follow on to be honest. Everyone thinks it's going to fall apart over the weekend which is ideal for the Aussies. If England get out of this with a draw (which is possible) They will have done well.

Well they still have to take 19 wickets and the pitch is doing nothing, that Carberry drop was very very costly.

Our only chance of retaining ashes is to draw this one and the series. Anderson looks flat

Ok, I know fuck all about cricket, and it's boring, BUT, I got in from a run this morning and it was on the TV so I watched a bit.

It seems that the Australians have this tactic where they throw the ball at 100mph, and get it to bounce directly at our boys' heads? They're not aiming for the wickets at all, just trying to smash our heads in, and stop us making any runs before time runs out?

Why don't we just do the same? And have a bore-off where no one makes any runs but all go home with fractures skulls and broken ribs etc?

Seems like a good tactic by the Australians, sending balls bouncing over our heads - why don't we do exactly the same?

Surely it's not that hard to throw the ball and get it to bounce 50ft over their heads, or even aim it at their heads like they do?

Trouble is, we haven't a bowler with the pace of Mitchell Johnson! Our quickest bowler is actually Stokes the all-rounder.

Do you have to bowl 'that' fast to get it to bounce straight at their heads or over their heads though?

The amount of bounce you'd need depends on the individual characteristics of the pitch you're playing on. The current test is being played on a pitch which wouldn't be very suitable for that. BTW bowling bouncers can and will also be stopped by the umpires if you do it too often.

Do you have to bowl 'that' fast to get it to bounce straight at their heads or over their heads though?

No - Anderson, Broad and Stokes are all well capable of bowling "bouncers" and do include them in their repertoire. However, there are rules about this. If it goes over their heads, the umpire will call it a "wide" and they get a free run. If it's at their head or chest, the umpires only allow 2 of those per over. This rule was brought in to avoid intimidatory bowling.

It also needs to be borne in mind that it's easy for batsmen to twat a badly-aimed bouncer to the boundary! I think the best type are those to the chest which batsmen tend to fend off and are often caught off the gloves or the top of the bat.

But from what I saw this morning, this bloke with a ridiculous moustache was bowling them every ball? Him and his mate. Then they sent out this ropey spinner sort of bloke, but he looked like his were going to get smashed for 6 every ball.

I actually saw our blokes ducking quite a lot of these shots. Looked a lot more than 2 an over. Is the umpire just casting a blind eye?

We should start doing what I did as a kid playing cricket, bowling start at them, no bounce, about waist height. Wreck them.

I 'thought' that cricket was a 'gentlemans' sport and it had an etiquette to it, not including trying to smash the ball off the batsman's head? I thought the idea was to try and hit the wickets or bowl awkwardly so that they'd hit the ball and someone can catch it? I seems England are playing the cricket version of of a Tony Pulis team? Crap at playing football and trying and turn it into rugby?

LOL! Cricket is actually one of the most violent and aggressive sports, although it can be difficult for the casual bystander to work out what is going on.

England won an Ashes tour of Australia in the 1930's which became known as the "Bodyline" series under the captainship of Douglas Jardine. They got the Aussies out by having a line of fielders on the leg side and Harold Larwood & Co. bowling continuous short balls at them. It caused a diplomatic incident, with the Australian Prime Minister writing a letter of complaint to the British Prime Minister.

This is a bit like a 'cheat code' on a computer game then, for unlimited lives/money. I can't see any way round it if all you have to do is get a fast(ish) bowler and only bowl to the head, no point in having any other sort.

These cricket games will end up like football scores instead doing it this way - England Australia will finish 2-2 or something.

LOL! Cricket is actually one of the most violent and aggressive sports, although it can be difficult for the casual bystander to work out what is going on.

England won an Ashes tour of Australia in the 1930's which became known as the "Bodyline" series under the captainship of Douglas Jardine. They got the Aussies out by having a line of fielders on the leg side and Harold Larwood & Co. bowling continuous short balls at them. It caused a diplomatic incident, with the Australian Prime Minister writing a letter of complaint to the British Prime Minister.

At the time we called it fast leg theory and its exactly what Johnson was doing at Brisbane! How the world has changed eh! Always makes me laugh when people say cricket is a genteel sport, its one of the toughest games around. If you've played league cricket of any standard you will know how aggressive it can get. It also must be the most compelling nuanced game there is, love it.

New Zealand at 15/2 now, only need 112 to win. Couple more wickets for Windies could make this very interesting, great fightback from them.

312ada43e645fae19b72dad5a12df80d.png

Also, I think the Cricinfo guys got a little too excited typing up the commentary on 7.6

haha ...i wrote that after the 5th ball and 2nd wicket . then the final ball came !

"Mitchell Johnson has taken 5-12 in his last three overs"

I would have enforced the follow on, warped this test up and given Mitchell & Harris an extra day or two's rest before the WACA.

How did England turn turtle or become a turkey so quickly after the triumph of summer?

Back
Top Bottom