• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ashes 2013-14

I haven't been watching because of the time difference but from the clips it looks like our batters have adopted one day mode instead of test match levels of concentration. Getting out hooking while trying to bat out a day is mind boggling.

Those that have watched: are we guilty of poor tactics or a lack of motivation?

I cannot believe this side is dicking us. They are average and we are making them look good with careless leg side slogs and a bad attitude.

Swann and Anderson look like they can't be arsed as well

I was in agreement with the tactic of England batting aggressively as I wouldn't have liked to see us lose in a humiliating way, prodding and poking.

However, it's a well-known adage that when you don't want to get out, you shouldn't play the hook shot and I wish our batsmen had avoided it. Prior was a bit unucky as he picked out the one man on that part of the boundary but he shouldn't have done it.

I heard on the radio that Boycott has said we are going to be annihilated because we are lacking the right motivation and attitude. Has the recent winning streak against the Aussies lead to some complacency?

Siddle said after the game that alot of the hook shots would have bounced twice in front of the fielders as the square boundaries are very very short at Adelaide .

Seems like a repeat is on offer, but this is a relatively flatter wicket. No movement off the wicket.

Anyway I hope the Indian team can get it sorted before the Test begins.

I watched the game and De Koch looks a very good prospect - keeper as well. It was funny when he caught Dhoni on the 19.5 ball when it was raining - he didn't know whether to catch it or drop it - hilarious.

How the fuck India are the no 2 side in test cricket is gobsmacking you are going to humiliate them big time.

er.....I'm Indian....so hopefully not! England, SA etc are seasoned squads. If you take Dhoni out it's a really inexperienced and young line up for India. They started making the change after England and Australia white washed them away. Tendulkar was the last to go. But actually i think they can give a good account.

There is not a lot of points covering 2 to 5 in tests. Even S.A are not that far ahead. The test squad for India will have a heck of a lot of new faces, it will be interesting to see how they get on. Big hopes for Pujara and Rohit Sharma, (and Unmukt Chand will definitely be in that line-up sooner or later) but this is their first overseas assignment. If they can give a decent fight that will be result....the batting has a lot of potential for growth, but the bowling as always leaves a lot to be desired. It depends a bit on the form of Zaheer Khan at the moment, as he is coming back from a long injury/fitness issues.

I wouldn't read too much in to these ODIs, they got there and had to go in without any practice as the tour was truncated to accommodate Tendulkar play his 200th and last test in Mumbai. In a way it was good to have the ODIs ahead of Tests, as that was the more familiar format for the majority in the Indian team. ....

I can see swann being dropped for next test. Prior as well maybe.

Expect Bresnin to replace stokes

Actually on the basis of form, Cook should be rested, but of course he won't be because he is captain.

I think Prior has saved his place in the team with his performance in England's second innings at Adelaide.

I heard on the radio that Boycott has said we are going to be annihilated because we are lacking the right motivation and attitude. Has the recent winning streak against the Aussies lead to some complacency?

Very good question and the answer IMO is yes (except it's "led", unless you mean the stuff some folk nick off roofs ;)). Early in the First Test it seemed to me that they had gone out there thinking they just had to turn up to win. They then had a nasty surprise and haven't got over it yet.

Flower said changes will happen today.

He gives me more confidence than any of the players do at the moment.

That said, even he's going to have a job bringing their performance levels back up. Too many of them don't seem to me to have the backbone to go with their ability.

He gives me more confidence than any of the players do at the moment.

That said, even he's going to have a job bringing their performance levels back up. Too many of them don't seem to me to have the backbone to go with their ability.

Number one most important factor WIN THE FUCKING TOSS!!
Seriously Australia are not the be all and end all, we let them off the hook in both matches really and haven't put them under pressure at all. I think we were under prepared as well, we can only get better

Ryan serious question - as an irishman why do you support Australia? Crater sized chip on the shoulder perhaps?

So it's not really a "serious question" is it?

Regardless, I'll answer.

I've always loved cricket. Not much of a thing you might suspect, but for a catholic growing up in N.Ireland in the 80s, I can promise you it's not the norm.

I never really supported one side, and obviously being Irish I never wanted England to win at anything. I've lived in Australia for over 7 year now, and going to every Test I can get to in that time (with obviously Australia playing in), I've unsurprisingly grown attached to the Australia side.

All my friends, extended family, and the rest are Australian, so it's fairly natural to support them.

So, no I don't have a "crater sized chip on the shoulder." You'll just have to accept that some people in the world don't support England.

I haven't been watching because of the time difference but from the clips it looks like our batters have adopted one day mode instead of test match levels of concentration. Getting out hooking while trying to bat out a day is mind boggling.

I think it's both Jules.

Re the latter; it's safe to say from what I've watched that the real hunger that got this England side to the top over the last 3 or 4 years has subsided, which is only natural. Certainly, the edge that guys like Swann, Anderson, Trott, Prior, etc had3 years ago is gone. I'd say backing up in Australia 6 months after the last gruelling series with relatively little to still 'prove' is a major factor too.

And for the latter; tactics and decision-making yes. Guys like Cook, KP, Bell, Prior who can quite clearly bat with anyone in the world have just thrown their wickets away. I've gone on record in earlier pages about Cook's in game captaincy and field positions at times in the first 2 tests which have been diabolical, and then a succession of little things which all add up; dropped catches, being on the brunt of sledging, Trott, etc. Everything is in Australia's favour right now, but they've made their own luck too.

Flower said changes will happen today.

I'd be surprised if there were sweeping changes. Bresnan for Panesar maybe. He needs 5 bowlers for that heat in Perth.

He may change the order around, but I can't see him bringing in 3 or 4 new guys.

I'd be surprised if there were sweeping changes. Bresnan for Panesar maybe. He needs 5 bowlers for that heat in Perth.

He may change the order around, but I can't see him bringing in 3 or 4 new guys.

Monty was much better than Swann. I would keep him in.

I think it's both Jules.

Re the latter; it's safe to say from what I've watched that the real hunger that got this England side to the top over the last 3 or 4 years has subsided, which is only natural. Certainly, the edge that guys like Swann, Anderson, Trott, Prior, etc had3 years ago is gone. I'd say backing up in Australia 6 months after the last gruelling series with relatively little to still 'prove' is a major factor too.

And for the latter; tactics and decision-making yes. Guys like Cook, KP, Bell, Prior who can quite clearly bat with anyone in the world have just thrown their wickets away. I've gone on record in earlier pages about Cook's in game captaincy and field positions at times in the first 2 tests which have been diabolical, and then a succession of little things which all add up; dropped catches, being on the brunt of sledging, Trott, etc. Everything is in Australia's favour right now, but they've made their own luck too.

Poor jexy didn't deserve that. ;)

I don't see why Ryan supporting Australia is an issue

People can support whoever they want.

I don't see why Ryan supporting Australia is an issue

People can support whoever they want.
It's not an issue at all - At least with me anyway. When they are not playing England I support them too. Being married to an Aussie kind of forces you too. It's just a bit of healthy banter.

Rumours that both spinners dropped for all out pace.

I don't care as long as we have 5 bowlers not 4 and Root

rankin might be a good shout. Big unit.

Perth is always hot and the wicket is always bouncy. As far as I know it's not a spinner's paradise. I agree that 5 bowlers would probably be ideal.

The problem is prior. He helped us get out of trouble a lot in the past by scoring heavy. With 5 bowlers and him we have little batting backup

Bresnan can bat and prior may have some confidence back after last innings I suppose.

I'll be tuning in tonight but I have so little confidence about this team. They are all so massively out of form and with Aussie confidence understandably high it is difficult to see anything but a kicking. Will the toss even be that important on this wicket? Probably not to be honest.

I'll be tuning in tonight but I have so little confidence about this team. They are all so massively out of form and with Aussie confidence understandably high it is difficult to see anything but a kicking. Will the toss even be that important on this wicket? Probably not to be honest.

Really? This a late one and they will still be playing until about 9:30am.

I'll catch up in the morning after I walk the dog.

Yes it kicks off at 02.30 so I'm not going to attempt to watch. I will set my radio alarm to Test Match Special so that I am awoken by the bad news on Friday morning. If England win the toss I anticipate that at that stage Anderson may be batting! If they lose the toss, I might wake up to hear applause for Warner's century. :D

Yes it kicks off at 02.30 so I'm not going to attempt to watch. I will set my radio alarm to Test Match Special so that I am awoken by the bad news on Friday morning. If England win the toss I anticipate that at that stage Anderson may be batting! If they lose the toss, I might wake up to hear applause for Warner's century. :D

Haha indeed - dreading the wake up call here as well, what do they say hoping for the best but fearing the worst.

Back
Top Bottom