• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Benteke - BOOOOOO the puns

Come on, lads! He's premiership proven, knows the league and is clearly our first-choice so that's fine by me. I'd rather we overpaid slightly and got our priority signings than risk another Dani Alves situation. And for those moaning, it's not as if it's your own money. Relax.

Come on, lads! He's premiership proven, knows the league and is clearly our first-choice so that's fine by me. I'd rather we overpaid slightly and got our priority signings than risk another Dani Alves situation. And for those moaning, it's not as if it's your own money. Relax.
The exact same argument was used for Carroll, lallana and Johnson

[article=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3103169/RON-ATKINSON-Christian-Benteke-Aston-Villa-replace-Liverpool-six-club-want-him.html#ixzz3bb2syOsW ]Even at the age of 76, comic timing comes naturally to Ron Atkinson, as does forming strident opinions on football.
For example, he believes Villa should do everything possible to keep Christian Benteke because he can score the goals to help the club finish above Liverpool next season. That is unless the money from Benteke's £32.5million release clause can be re-invested in two or three quality signings.

'I did that with David Platt when I knew we couldn't keep him at Villa. I said to Andy Gray, my No 2 at the time, "We'll sell him before the season starts and buy players who will make us better".'

Platt went to Italian side Bari for £5.5m and Villa finished seventh in 1991-92, then second in 1992-93, the inaugural season of the Premier League.

That is still the highest Premier League place achieved by an English manager, a record held jointly with Kevin Keegan who did it with Newcastle.

'Every top club should be in for Benteke,' Atkinson continues. 'He would be the perfect replacement for Didier Drogba at Chelsea and at Manchester City they might get rid of Edin Dzeko. Manchester United badly need a new centre forward.

'If Villa keep Benteke, I'd almost think they can finish higher than Liverpool, he's that good. There are not many Liverpool players who make Villa's starting XI. Mario Balotelli? I wouldn't have him playing for my local team. That is the worst signing I can remember anybody ever making.

'Balotelli doesn't even look like he enjoys playing. That drives me up the wall.'[/article]

For the amount being quoted (we are not just overpaying, but nearing our transfer record spend) we should be buying the following instead:
Lacazette
Tevez
Morata
Vietto + someone else
Harry Kane
Icardi + someone else
Firminio

Hasn't he just scored 12 in 12?

If he has, considering he's only 15 goals in total this season, that means he did sweet fuck all for the other 20 games he played this season.

P32 G15

Take 12 in 12 away from that.

Hasn't he just scored 12 in 12?

Yes and 0 in about 20. So option 1... we pay £32m and he scores 38 goals for us. Or option 2.... he scores 0 goals for us. In this case we should be pessimistic and sign players who's worst form will not be a liability to us, then hope for the best. You're doing it the other way around, which is good for your happiness and general wellbeing as a person, but it's bad for the club.

[article=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3103169/RON-ATKINSON-Christian-Benteke-Aston-Villa-replace-Liverpool-six-club-want-him.html#ixzz3bb2syOsW ]

'Every top club should be in for Benteke,' Atkinson continues. 'He would be the perfect replacement for Didier Drogba at Chelsea and at Manchester City they might get rid of Edin Dzeko. Manchester United badly need a new centre forward.

'If Villa keep Benteke, I'd almost think they can finish higher than Liverpool, he's that good. There are not many Liverpool players who make Villa's starting XI. Mario Balotelli? I wouldn't have him playing for my local team. That is the worst signing I can remember anybody ever making.

'Balotelli doesn't even look like he enjoys playing. That drives me up the wall.'[/article]

Did Atkinson come from a family of Everton fans? He always seems to hate us. Thankfully it's mutual.

Did Atkinson come from a family of Everton fans? He always seems to hate us. Thankfully it's mutual.

I've always thought of him as a slightly barmy uncle, a sort of leering, racist dipstick with a comb over who slips in the phrase "coming over here taking our jobs" at every opportunity.

Selective stats. The kid's going to shit goals for us.

I can't tell if you just shit rainbows or know fuck all about football. I hope its the former.

He'll score for us, which makes him an upgrade. But not enough to be Liverpool's no. 9 and main man up front.

Maybe, just maybe we havent been crossing the ball this season because we have played about 70% of the time without a quality striker. Meaning we either had nobody in the box or Sterling/Lambert/Balotelli/Borini.

Last season we had 642 crosses attempted (stats are from April '14 so probably even higher).
Selective stats indeed.

For the amount being quoted (we are not just overpaying, but nearing our transfer record spend) we should be buying the following instead:
Lacazette
Tevez
Morata
Vietto + someone else
Harry Kane
Icardi + someone else
Firminio

I love how these lists always throw in the names of players who've scored a high profile goal recently, ignoring the fact that they've scored 8 league goals all season (hello Morata!)

Or Vietto who scored 6 goals.

Maybe, just maybe we havent been crossing the ball this season because we have played about 70% of the time without a quality striker. Meaning we either had nobody in the box or Sterling/Lambert/Balotelli/Borini.

Last season we had 642 crosses attempted (stats are from April '14 so probably even higher).
Selective stats indeed.

Maybe we don't cross the ball because we'd rather keep possession instead?

b6538aeefd9637389e6885312c3e94202d1c378b95a212e8d712ee7e39abb7a5.jpg

I love how these lists always throw in the names of players who've scored a high profile goal recently, ignoring the fact that they've scored 8 league goals all season (hello Morata!)

That's only two on the list - most have the right profile for us to invest in them. Tevez is an outlier in terms of profile, but his work ethic and pedigree justify a punt. He is the type of player who would be attracted by ridiculous wages.

Wish people would stop mentioning harry Kane.

I've seen nothing from him to say he's going to be more than a 1 season wonder

Back
Top Bottom