• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Benteke - BOOOOOO the puns

[article=http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/liverpool-purchase-to-see-belgian-club-get-up-to-4-9m-fee-much-we]KRC Genk are in line for a financial windfall this summer and it will be much welcomed. Belgian's Voetbal Nieuws report on Thursday that Liverpool's pursuit of Christian Benteke is set to have an additional beneficiary. When Genk sold Benteke to Aston Villa in the summer of 2012, they inserted a clause in his contract which meant they'd receive 15% of a future deal. Those clauses are becoming increasingly frequent but often clubs buy them out when a player starts to develop, Aston Villa haven't done so with Genk so they'll be expecting a fee.

Voetbal Nieuws say that Genk would receive as much as €4.9m, and that's worked out on Liverpool paying €42m for the Aston Villa striker, a conversion from £30m. If Liverpool should get their own way and pay a lot less, a fee of €30m, then Genk will be set to receive €3.2m. Voetbal Nieuws call it a 'financial gift' but it's surely more a direct result of good transfer planning from the Belgian club and an eye to the future.

It may make Aston Villa push for a slightly higher fee. Whereas a figure of around €30m may have been acceptable without Genk getting any, Aston Villa could be looking for more to cover the payment of the clause and that could drag any potential negotiations out a little.

Benteke, 24 years old, has scored 13 Premier League goals for Aston Villa this season in just 26 starts, having missed part of the season due to injury.[/article]

Tim Sherwood “There’s no point going to a club (LFC) where they don’t cross the ball."

Have to agree with that...

But he's not a player who relies on crosses

People are throwing him in the bug man up front category, when he's got so much more to his game than that

Tim Sherwood “There’s no point going to a club (LFC) where they don’t cross the ball."

Have to agree with that...

Jokes on Tim.
8escf.gif

People are throwing him in the bug man up front category, when he's got so much more to his game than that
True.. he has good technical ability and definitely more to his game... But many of his goals under Sherwood came from crosses and passes from wing play..

32 million figure being touted about is a ridiculous fee..

Well, Tim got him scoring again by crossing the ball more for him and making that the focus of their attack. We are 19th in the league for number of crosses. Tim has a point.

We do play with players cutting in from the wing though

Ibe, sterling, Moreno, marko, etc etc. All come from the wing and often look for a central point to pass to. Usually there's no one there

Well, Tim got him scoring again by crossing the ball more for him and making that the focus of their attack. We are 19th in the league for number of crosses. Tim has a point.
If Rodgers wants to persist with 1 player up top, he needs to buy a striker who CAN play alone up top

Benteke is that kind of player.

I've no doubt there's better, but it's trusting our scouring department to find them, our committee to agree to them on the shortlist, and then our management to negotiate, all in a timely fashion

Benteke is perfect for one of the systems Rodgers plays. If he persists with that then that's fine, but if he starts chopping and changing again, it's fucking stupid

More from Tim..

“I think we cross more balls into the box than any club in the league and I think Christian says he feeds off crosses. There’s no point going to a club where they don’t cross the ball.

“All he’s got to do is look at history and see what has happened to players who have left. They’re going to pastures new, bigger and better and they don’t actually play so they end up looking for a new home.”

More from Tim..

“I think we cross more balls into the box than any club in the league and I think Christian says he feeds off crosses. There’s no point going to a club where they don’t cross the ball.

“All he’s got to do is look at history and see what has happened to players who have left. They’re going to pastures new, bigger and better and they don’t actually play so they end up looking for a new home.”

Is Tim really trying to sell Benteke as a glorified Carlton Cole? How disingenuous of lil Tim. I'm not Benteke's biggest fan, but even I can see that's clearly not true, and there's much more to his game than lumping it to him in the box.

Timmy's not right on that one. Ray Houghton, Steve McMahon, Andy Gray, Danny Blanchflower, Mark Walters, David Platt, Dwight Yorke, Ashley Young, Emile Heskey, etc etc. Hardly going to put off a player, that argument, Tim.

We actually DO cross the ball. We have quite a repertory. There's the one that loops straight into the keeper's arms. There's the deep and fast one that whips into touch on the opposite side of the pitch. There's the outswinging one that starts the opposition counter-attack. And there's the low one that goes in between Balotelli and Sterling, causing them to look at each other and shrug their shoulders.

We actuallly DO cross the ball. We have quite a repertory. There's the one that loops straight into the keeper's arms. There's the deep and fast one that whips into touch on the opposite side of the pitch. There's the outswinging one that starts the opposition counter-attack. And there's the low one that goes in between Balotelli and Sterling, causing them to look at each other and shrug their shoulders.

Lol... that about sums up our attacking play this season...

More from Tim..

He's right, I mean, look at James Milner and Dwight Yorke.

He could've just said nothing but all managers come out with this shit when the media are asking questions about a star player leaving.

From The Echo:

Liverpool FC's hierarchy are determined not to repeat the mistakes of a year ago.
The Reds have identified Aston Villa’s Christian Benteke as their No 1 striker target and are ready to make their move after Saturday’s FA Cup final with Arsenal at Wembley.
Wanting to get their business done early is admirable. It shows that lessons have been learned following last summer’s shambolic search for Luis Suarez’s replacement.

Pity they've not learned their lesson from 4 years ago when they paid over £30m for another donkey.

From The Echo:

Liverpool FC's hierarchy are determined not to repeat the mistakes of a year ago.
The Reds have identified Aston Villa’s Christian Benteke as their No 1 striker target and are ready to make their move after Saturday’s FA Cup final with Arsenal at Wembley.
Wanting to get their business done early is admirable. It shows that lessons have been learned following last summer’s shambolic search for Luis Suarez’s replacement.

Pity they've not learned their lesson from 4 years ago when they paid over £30m for another donkey.

Or not learning by letting rogers spend the money

Back
Top Bottom