• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bring him back

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=dmishra link=topic=47361.msg1435632#msg1435632 date=1322681326]
I reckon he's better than Henderson, and should play ahead of him.
[/quote]

I don't. Henderson would look a class above in the Championship.

Shelvey hasn't shown much for me when he's had first team opportunities. His lack of pace is telling in the premiership.

[quote author=Buddha link=topic=47361.msg1435771#msg1435771 date=1322689477]
[/quote]

I don't. Henderson would look a class above in the Championship.

Shelvey hasn't shown much for me when he's had first team opportunities. His lack of pace is telling in the premiership.
[/quote]

Ditto Jordan over jonjo

Re: Re: Bring him back

[quote author=gene hughes link=topic=47361.msg1#msg1 date=1322693518]
Is Shelvey slow?
[/quote]

He's not lightening, but He's got quick reflexes and us quick of thought so his movement should counter his lack of lightening pace

He isn't particularly quick, but I don't find him to be sluggish. Why does a CM need to have pace anyway?

[/quote]

Absolutely.

[quote author=Delinquent link=topic=47361.msg1436488#msg1436488 date=1322772741]
[/quote]

Absolutely.
[/quote]

I don't.

Jonjo has a touch of class about him that Henderson does not.

It's the amount of time he seems to have to do anything....Agger is the only other player in our squad who has that composure.

Have I got the right player?

I've said it before, but Shelvey seems to be the most projected upon player ever. There's a whole myth built up around this lad completely unrelated to his very few, very average sub cameos for the club. He hasn't even been the standout player when playing for the reserves.

Credit to the lad for doing well on loan, but let's not get carried away - unless we all want Comollis transfer strategy to consist of targetting the best Championship talent every window. There's a huge gap in quality.

I like shelvey, & think he has a future with the club, but Henderson has proved himself a lot more at this level, & I'm not convinced even Henderson should be starting week in week out yet.

Bring him back

[quote author=RolandG link=topic=47361.msg1#msg1 date=1322717996]
When does Gerrard return?
[/quote]

Good question. Anyone? It's all gone awfully quiet on the Gerrard front, hasn't it?

Talking about quiet- Is Aurelio still alive?

Re: Bring him back

If Shelvey comes back now, gets a run in the side and impresses then it was a great move loaning him out. If he comes back and struggles in the Premier League though, would it be fair to say he may not be quite good enough?

Henderson's best games have been at CM. He's been below par on the right.

I've no problem bringing Henderson inside now Lucas is crocked. It's when we play 4-4-2 we have a prob. With 4-2-3-1 we are aces.

Hmm. If I had to go out on a limb and pick the one who's most likely to make it, itd have to be hendo for me.

[quote author=Richey link=topic=47361.msg1436651#msg1436651 date=1322814106]
If Shelvey comes back now, gets a run in the side and impresses then it was a great move loaning him out. If he comes back and struggles in the Premier League though, would it be fair to say he may not be quite good enough?
[/quote]

no. he's 19.

i think he'll be a cracking player for us, personally, but i think hendo can be as well - just not as a right winger.

I can't believe what's briefcase in this thread

Jonjoy and hendoy are going to DESTROY everyone

it will be very unfortunate if jonjo isn't given much game time. short term bolstering of numbers at liverpool vs long term progression at blackpool.

Re: Re: Bring him back

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=47361.msg1#msg1 date=1322821492]
I cant believe the briefcase either
[/quote]

Lollers

Fucking phone

Prior to his arrival, Blackpool had averaged 1.4 points per game, scoring at a rate of 1.2 goals per game. In the games Shelvey played their average points rose to 1.6 and their goals shot up to 2.1 per game. It’s hard to attribute this to the arrival of Shelvey alone, but there is no doubt that there has been a shift in Blackpool’s form over the past ten games.

By all accounts he was recruited to play in Blackpool’s midfield unit, going some way to replacing the goals and creativity lost when Adam departed. His first few appearances saw him take his place in the midfield and whilst his positional sense is solid, his attacking instincts can see him lose his shape in an orthodox midfield three. The diagram below shows the positions he covered whilst at Blackpool.

Shelvey-Positions-e1322847646556.jpg

In a flatter midfield three (1 & 2) he had a tendency to dwell too much on the ball and in an ultra aggressive and competitive midfield Championship battle he was occasionally overwhelmed. As he progressed in to the more attacking midfield role (3) he enjoyed more success, but it was his move to the forward line (4 & 5) that arguably allowed him to really find his place in the Championship. However, as will be explored later, his future may lie as a central forward (6).

Physically Shelvey looks strong and imposing; standing around six feet tall and well developed muscularly, fitting the archetypal model of a young English footballer. He has good pace and his stamina looks strong right to the last minute. There are very few doubts about him physically. However, Shelvey may still be developing mentally, both as an adult and as a footballer. The following quote from him may give an insight in to his mind; “I didn’t know until I got in at half-time and someone mentioned the sending off. I thought they were playing with 11 … obviously I’m that thick!”

This hints at a lack of intelligent thought on the pitch and is possibly an area of concern and could be retrograde to his development and success back at his parent club. At the level that Liverpool aspires to they need intelligent players off and on the pitch. However, he clearly understands space and exploitation of opportunity and with his physical attributes he can seize moments in games and has already shown his willingness to try to dominate by calling for the ball and attempting to command his team mates. He appears to have a strong drive and winning mentality and perhaps this will override his other mental shortcomings.

Another shortcoming which pinpoints more about why he failed to settle in deeper midfield is his dislike for the defensive side of the midfield role. By his own admission he prefers to be going forward, in an interview with Vital Blackpool he was quoted as saying…“I’ll be honest, I don’t like the defending too much, so playing further forward (at Blackpool) has been better for me.”

What is also a real concern is his recklessness in the challenge. Against Burnley, he went in to a challenge without looking and went over the top of the ball and put his opponent in danger and he should have been sent off.

He has a good range of passing, but his timing and selection of pass is inconsistent. Also, whilst his first touch is good it also lacks consistency.In low pressure games he could easily dominate, however, should a team sense him ponder they could easily throw him off his stride.
During the game against Burnley this happened, and he was soon taken out of the midfield as Holloway switched to a conventional 4-4-2 with Shelvey taking up position wide left. Here he looked like he appreciated facing the play with the ball coming on to him and in behind the defence, as well as trying to isolate his opponent in one v one situations.

As has been seen with the goals he has scored he can shoot with both power and accuracy and he appears to be a natural goal scorer, in fact it could be argued that he has the skill set for a central forward role. He can play with his back to goal, he can use his strength to dominate a centre back, drop deep to receive and create both from deep and further up the pitch. He also has a great sense of timing with his attacking runs in to the opponents area making him hard to track and putting him in great positions to score.

Latterly, he had been taking up position as one of the wide forwards, from there Shelvey grabbed a hat trick against Leeds United. The knock on effect has been that Blackpool’s midfield has been a more coherent unit without him in there, but it has also left him in a position which appears more natural for him.

Finally, one point that remains unresolved is his ability to dominate games at Championship level. Granted, he was still finding his feet and adjusting to a new set up, but he never quite stamped his authority on games. He can burst and sparkle for periods, but equally go quiet at other times. Given time he could learn to control games and should he come back to Blackpool or another Championship side then that will be a key part of his development to look out for.

Arguably the recall of Shelvey will cause more harm to Blackpool in the short term that it will do good for Liverpool. Obviously the injury to Lucas is a big blow for Liverpool, however, the recall of Shelvey doesn’t mean he has been brought back as cover. It seems to be a move to secure more squad depth and add more options for Kenny Dalglish to play with. For Blackpool they have lost a player of quality, Holloway has already mentioned that they will try to bring him back.

It remains to be seen how he will be utilised back at Liverpool, Shelvey clearly enjoyed his time at Bloomfield Road and wanted to stay longer, however, he will be fully focused to take his learning from the Championship and try to make a Premier League impact should he get the chance.

From Holloway's Independent column today:

I hope the Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva makes a swift recovery.

I don't like it when any player gets a serious injury, but this one particularly hurt me because the knock-on effect is that I've lost Jonjo Shelvey.

He was banging in the goals for us at Blackpool – six in nine starts – but Liverpool have recalled him from his loan spell. Kenny Dalglish quite rightly needs cover in the midfield area.

That's life and it's the risk you take when you make a loan signing.

I'm just glad I've given Jonjo a few games and hopefully helped improve him a little. I have no doubt he will be a top, top player and the best news of all is that he's English.

We tried to get Aqualani back but we was tied to one of those season long contracts with no recall option apparently.

Yeah we got stung with one last season too didn't we?

Who was it then? Blackpool spring to mind?

You'd have thought we would stop doing that by now, maybe we thought a 'gentlemans agreement' or something could be done with Aquilani?

I think he'd fit in well with Suarez in front of him ......

[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=47361.msg1437783#msg1437783 date=1323019911]
Gerrard's still on crutches apparently.
[/quote]Ooops.
Though someone said the other day he had started light training.
I am really beginning to doubt if he will ever have a proper run of games for us again :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom