• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bring him back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackpool's Alex Baptiste, Jonjo Shelvey and Lomana LuaLua have been named in the latest Championship Team of the Week following their performances against Millwall.

Baptiste is joined in the defence by James Tomkins, Gordon Greer and Andrew Taylor, while Shelvey is placed alongside Barry Robson, Grant McCann and Erik Huseklepp in midfield. Billy Sharp partners LuaLua in attack.

[quote author=juniormember link=topic=47361.msg1421219#msg1421219 date=1320327397]
[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=47361.msg1421195#msg1421195 date=1320323056]
[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=47361.msg1421184#msg1421184 date=1320321860]
[quote author=peterhague link=topic=47361.msg1421174#msg1421174 date=1320320723]
[quote author=Woland link=topic=47361.msg1421115#msg1421115 date=1320313060]
Looks like it's been a perfect loan move. He's going to be proper boss.
[/quote]

Toadally. It's pretty daft to on the one hand glory in his progress and then on the other to demand he comes back to play a bit part for us. We should be doing this more with our youngsters, not less. Let him see his time out there until he's got a realistic chance of starting for us.
[/quote]

Yep, definitely agree, this is exactly what loan moves are for. Build his quality & confidence then bring him back next season/Jan & reap the rewards.
[/quote]
I'll third this. Blackpool is a good club for us to loan players to, because they do like to keep it on the deck and play a pass and move game. A great season there, and he'll be ready to make a contribution for us.

[/quote]

Absolutely.
I hope Holloway keeps on checking out our youngsters because his team is the perfect place for the more attacking players to develop.
That's why I have slight reservations about loaning out our talented youngsters to Bolton, a team constantly losing or drawing with a big emphasis on not letting a goal in.
[/quote]

Very impressive, given its away to a top Championship club.

Gilks, 29, is on international duty ahead of Scotland’s friendly in Cyprus on Friday and added: “The buzz has returned in the last couple of games. It is like the proper Blackpool is back.

We had 76 per cent of the possession at Leeds. I don’t think anyone will do that again this season, even next season. The way we have passed the ball in the last couple of games has been great.

“We aren’t a long-ball team any more. The gaffer wants us to play football but we can mix it up and change.

“We can get the diagonals and the long ball going if need be, but we want to play on the floor and pass it about.

JONJO Shelvey believes he has truly found his feet at Blackpool and is relishing the rest of his loan spell.

The Liverpool attacker has scored five goals in seven games for the Seasiders, including a hat-trick in the demolition of Leeds.

Kenny Dalglish has been watching his striker in action and has been quick to praise Shelvey, though he has also been critical of the 19-year-old for not doing himself justice in certain games.

Shelvey admits he hasn’t always been at his best but feels that in the last two games – playing in a more advanced role, with freedom to wander – he has been more consistent and has proved what he is capable of.

He said: “I’m now playing in a role that I’ve played for England a few times and it suits me.

“You just roam about the pitch, try to get on the ball and make things happen.

With my forward running, I think I can break and score goals. I proved that at Leeds, setting up the first goal and scoring a few as well. I like the position the manager has put me in

“You always want more goals but I am happy with five in seven. I’m pleased with the way I’ve played in most games, but there have been a few when I’ve not been at the races.

“But against Leeds and Bristol City (Shelvey’s debut) and in the second half of the Burnley game I think I’ve done well, so I’m generally very happy.”

Ian Holloway agrees that Shelvey has benefited from his positional move.

The Pool boss said: “I played Jonjo in a slightly different role in the Leeds and Millwall games. I talked to him about movement because I feel he is very good at that.

“He has obviously got a lot of talent and he is playing well at the moment. He just needs to keep it going every week because that’s what top players do.

Craig Levein has revealed that he wants to persuade Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey to play for Scotland.

Shelvey has played for England at under-16, 17 and 19 level but has not played for the full senior team in a competitive international.

The 21-year old has a Scottish grandfather and so could play for Scotland, a decision Levein hopes to convince him to make.

“We’ve been in touch and we are hopeful,” the national team manager confirmed to the Scottish Sun.

“As usual, we will continue to try and unearth as many players as possible to be able to play for us.

“We want as many good players as possible to be able to play for us.”

Shelvey made his breakthrough at Charlton before moving to Liverpool in May 2010. He made 21 appearances for the English Premier League side last season and has been on loan at Championship club Blackpool this term, scoring five goals in eight matches so far.

[quote author=Binny link=topic=47361.msg1424989#msg1424989 date=1321095054]
Kenny Dalglish has been watching his striker in action and has been quick to praise Shelvey, though he has also been critical of the 19-year-old for not doing himself justice in certain games.
[/quote]

Bad journalism, or is that where he's been played for Blackpool?

It looks like he's been playing support striker. Which isn't the best for his development into a Liverpool player because that isn't where he will play here. >:(

GRAEME MURTY chose to play for Scotland and knew it was the right decision the moment he stepped out in front of the Tartan Army.

Now the English-born defender has urged Liverpool kid Jonjo Shelvey to do the same.

When Murty came across the 19-year-old at Charlton Athletic two years ago, he was convinced Shelvey would hit the big time for club and country.

So he wasn't surprised the youngster earned a £2million move to Anfield and became an England Under-21 international.

But with Craig Levein now desperate for Shelvey to wear dark blue in honour of his Scots grandfather, Murty insists he'd be a fantastic addition to the squad.

The 36-year-old, who won four caps for Scotland, said: "Having made a similar decision myself, I'd say to Jonjo he won't regret playing for Scotland because it's a brilliant set-up.

"The guys in Scotland will make him feel fabulously welcome and as soon as he walks out in front of the Tartan Army, it will give Jonjo the biggest thrill.

"We can't have too many good players. Jonjo can be a link-man for Scotland between midfield and the strikers. We've already got Charlie Adam, Darren Fletcher and Scott Brown but Jonjo's a bit different to all of them. He can play that No.10 role just behind the front.

"He's adept at coming in from wide and making something happen. He's something Scotland don't have at the moment."

When Murty arrived at Charlton he was amazed to see 17-year-old Shelvey had so much responsibility on his shoulders as the club battled to stay in the Championship.

He said: "Jonjo was only a young man when I played beside him at Charlton but he was very mature. Technically he's proficient and at the Valley, he was their 'go-to' guy at just 17.

"In the middle of a relegation scrap, that says a lot about his character and what Charlton thought about him.

"Jonjo was the guy fans, players and the manager relied on to dig us out of a hole and get us a goal.
He took all the set-pieces, he was the man who could make a difference in the game.

"At such a big club, I was surprised Jonjo was so influential at such a young age.

"But he's not a guy who lacks in confidence. And he backs it up with hard work.

"You had no qualms about giving Jonjo the ball in any situation. The way the game's going, he's a player who could be key in international football because he can retain it so well.

"The relegation fight with Charlton definitely matured him.
He saw things go on around the place which weren't ideal.

"We were struggling and had gone a long time without a win. But he still earned a move to a world-class club."

Shelvey now has a Scots boss in Kenny Dalglish at Liverpool and the likes of Charlie Adam and Danny Wilson have already sounded him out about switching his allegiances to Scotland.

Murty said: "It hasn't been a risk for Liverpool because he has the core talent. He'll go on to play international football if he can remain injury free.

"I'm probably the wrong person to ask whether he should play for Scotland because I'll have a totally biased view.

"He's his own man, that came over to me even when he was 17. He won't be influenced by other people. Jonjo's a single-minded guy and he'll do what's best for his own career.

"He has to pick the right path but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a dark blue shirt."

CHARLIE ADAM last night revealed Liverpool team-mate Jonjo Shelvey wants to play for Scotland.

The Romford-born midfielder is on Craig Levein's radar after the national boss discovered Shelvey's grandfather is Scottish.

Shelvey has been capped by England at youth and Under-21 level but Adam insists the 19-year-old is keen to switch allegiance.

Levein hopes to persuade Shelvey to commit and he could be handed his first call-up for February's friendly against Slovenia.

Reds pal Adam admits he has been nipping the ear of the ex-Charlton kid and said: "Jonjo is really interested in playing for us.

"He wants to represent Scotland, he has told me he's up for it.
He has played for England at every level except the first team but that doesn't matter.

"He told me a while ago he had a Scottish grandad and I said, 'Why don't you come up and play for us?' "We need as many good players as we can get if we want to reach the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

"If Jonjo can improve the squad, why not? It doesn't matter where he was born, he is eligible and can play."

Shelvey has been allowed to join Blackpool - Adam's former team - on loan from Liverpool this season.

He has already hit five goals for the Championship side and Adam said: "Jonjo's a goalscorer, he did that at Charlton and now at Blackpool.

"Technically he's great. I was impressed by him as soon as I joined Liverpool but he needed games and the loan move to Blackpool has been beneficial."

I'd rather we brought back Aquilani, Jonjo is not ready for regular Liverpool first team football - it is a huge step up from Blackpool.

Can't hurt to play him against Swansea and Norwich, he'd do a lot better than Lucas or Adam did at creating chances.

[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=47361.msg1428640#msg1428640 date=1321730442]
I'd rather we brought back Aquilani, Jonjo is not ready for regular Liverpool first team football - it is a huge step up from Blackpool.
[/quote]

That'll never happen, unless we get an italian manager.

I'm wondering if his future role will be decided based on this loan spell. I.e. having impressed in the role behind the striker, does he continue development there or get 'switched back' to his initial role/position?

[quote author=Binny link=topic=47361.msg1428725#msg1428725 date=1321766354]
I'm wondering if his future role will be decided based on this loan spell. I.e. having impressed in the role behind the striker, does he continue development there or get 'switched back' to his initial role/position?
[/quote]
Question is did he ever have an "initial role/position" with us?
Seemed as if he was playing all over the pitch.

He feels comfortable playing behind the striker, I say let him play there.

Just to put it in prospective: since Jonjo has left on loan, Liverpool have scored 8 goals, Jonjo has 6. ::) >:( :'(

[quote author=Shelvey link=topic=47361.msg1428729#msg1428729 date=1321770776]
Just to put it in prospective: since Jonjo has left on loan, Liverpool have scored 8 goals, Jonjo has 6. ::) >:( :'(
[/quote]

Yep, and if he hadn't gone on loan he wouldn't have started a game or scored a goal. As it is he's going to come back full of confidence and ready to challenge.

Why are you and everyone else judging this loan move as a bad thing?

Re: Bring him back

As I said earlier, I hope we don't recall him. It's obvious we don't appreciate him enough

Bring him back

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=47361.msg1428738#msg1428738 date=1321775931]
[quote author=Shelvey link=topic=47361.msg1428729#msg1428729 date=1321770776]
[/quote]

Yep, and if he hadn't gone on loan he wouldn't have started a game or scored a goal. As it is he's going to come back full of confidence and ready to challenge.

Why are you and everyone else judging this loan move as a bad thing?
[/quote]

Exactly. The only possible negative thing about the loan is the fact he's not playing exactly where we imagined him to play best, but as he's playing in stevies position having two young upcoming players in Shelvey & Henderson vying for that position, one of whom is accustomed to playing there & scoring, makes perfect sense given his injuries anyway.

Exclusive: Shelvey wants Blackpool stay

Vital Blackpool understands that loan star Jonjo Shelvey wants to stay at Bloomfield Road for the remainder of the season.

The 19-year-old has been in superb form during his spell in the Championship - attracting the interest of Premier League Wolves.

However, it is our understanding that he is keen to play out the rest of the campaign on the Fylde Coast and has asked Kenny Dalglish to prolong his stay.

'Blackpool are a good team with good players and I have asked [Liverpool] if I can stay here for the season.

'It is not that far from home and I think we could achieve something,' he told website sources at a recent club event.

'I am really enjoying it here, I want to play football. Obviously I want to break into the Liverpool first team, but I think playing at a good club is giving me the best chance of ultimately doing that.'

After a scintillating debut, Jonjo took a couple of games to get into his stride. But once he moved forward from the 'quaterback' role into more of a free-reign player in the front three, Jonjo and Blackpool clicked. It was inevitable that the vultures would begin to circle.

But what does the man himself think of his time at Blackpool? Understandably any Premier league player wants to be playing in Premier league games, but the wise ones recognise that a backward step at a good Championship club can catapult their prospects. And boy have Blackpool shown that in recent times.

He confirmed he is relishing his time at the seaside - particularly in a more favoured forward role. 'I'll be honest. I don't like the defending too much, so playing further forwarded has been better for me' he said, as a smile stretched across his face.

And the youngster is happy to be able to express himself before eventually making the step onto the bigger stage, much like Charlie Adam, who swapped tangerine for red over the summer.

'Absolutely. That's what the manager here wants to do,' he said.

'He [Ian Holloway] wants to play good football and get back up. If I can help in that than that would be brilliant.'

Read more: http://www.blackpool.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=526505#ixzz1eXS9GD2K

LiverpoolPlus Liverpool Plus
On-loan midfielder Jonjo Shelvey has returned to #LFC following an injury to Lucas blackpoolfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetai…

Jonjo should stay at Blackpool for his own development. Playing time will boost his confidence and give him essential experience.

Henderson isn't ready or confident enough to start, so its Spearing. We have no idea when Gerrard returns. Aurelio is a stop gap at best having played CM before but is injury prone

The Seasiders were dealt an unfortunate blow ahead of the busy December programme with the news that Liverpool have recalled in-form midfielder Jonjo Shelvey from his loan spell with the club.

The 19-year-old had settled well into life at Bloomfield Road, netting six goals in 10 appearances.

Talks were at an advanced stage between the two clubs to extend the player's loan beyond the end of December
, however a knee injury to Liverpool's Brazilian midfielder Lucas has meant that the Reds have activated the recall clause for him to return to Anfield with immediate effect.

A disappointed Ian Holloway told the official website, "Obviously this is a setback to us as Jonjo has done ever so well in his short time with us.

"We knew that Liverpool had the recall option on him and it was only the unfortunate injury to Lucas that has prompted them to take this course of action.

"I would like to thank Jonjo for his efforts with us and Kenny for allowing him to come to us. We will be in regular contact with Liverpool about trying to bring him back in January should Liverpool's injuries clear up."

Seeing that his initial loan was supposed to end on 31st Dec and we have 7 games in the space of 30 days coming up, even if it hadn't been for Lucas' injury, its still a sensible move. Perhaps the decision took Gerrard's progress into mind too.

Re: Bring him back

[quote author=Fabio link=topic=47361.msg1435559#msg1435559 date=1322676233]
Sound

Brace against fulham is in the bag
[/quote]

Indeed, we can't afford to drop our top scorer.

What a great loan move this has been. I hope he gets a run now while his confidence is sky high

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom