• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Burnley v Liverpool Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a good game at all, but winning was all that mattered.

City away next weekend. Hopefully Hendo and Firmino are fit.
Hendo is out until after the International break at the earliest

Thoughts from today:
  • Klavan's best game in a while. MoTM for me - his block on whoever was absolutely key. We had just gone ahead and it was fucking huge.
  • Matip - solid game too. Rounding into form.

Way too much praise for these two imo. Can was moved deeper in the first half as both of them were struggling badly. Klavan should have been closer to Matip for the first goal (and if he didn't then Matip should have been telling him that). Matip looked like he had only started to learn to head the ball today.

Way too much praise for these two imo. Can was moved deeper in the first half as both of them were struggling badly. Klavan should have been closer to Matip for the first goal (and if he didn't then Matip should have been telling him that). Matip looked like he had only started to learn to head the ball today.

Clyne was nowhere near his man who scored the goal. Tough to blame the CBs

Clyne is usually one of our better defenders though. Needs to improve his attacking contribution mind

Clyne was nowhere near his man who scored the goal. Tough to blame the CBs

This the way I saw it (excuse the shitty image). Can should be closing down the player with the ball. Milner Can't press the ball due to the winger on his left. Winji should be tracking the central runner and Klavan should be shifting closer to Matip (and Matip should be screaming at him, as he's doing fuck all in that position).

Clyne also has a winger to watch, but he has to cover as he sees the situation in the middle developing, he tries and fails, but if the central defenders had been doing a better job then he shouldn't have had to. Also Can should be doing a better job of stopping the through ball.
293ekp1.png

This the way I saw it (excuse the shitty image). Can should be closing down the player with the ball. Milner Can't press the ball due to the winger on his left. Winji should be tracking the central runner and Klavan should be shifting closer to Matip (and Matip should be screaming at him, as he's doing fuck all in that position).

Clyne also has a winger to watch, but he has to cover as he sees the situation in the middle developing, he tries and fails, but if the central defenders had been doing a better job then he shouldn't have had to. Also Can should be doing a better job of stopping the through ball.
293ekp1.png

Dunno. I thought Klavan was too far from Milner and, had he been closer, would have been in position to cut out the throughball. There was a lot of space in between Klavan and Milner for much of the game and Burnley often sought to exploit it.

293ekp1.png

It was a great ball. Inch perfect. The defensive line was decent but too high. The midfielders should have been tracking the fullbacks but they were nowhere near.

Although Klavan was a bit shaky to start with, I thought both centre backs coped with the aerial bombardment ok. Also did the linesman leave his flag at home, EVERY single free kick lumped into our box was offside.

There's that old cliche about results being the only important thing that counts at this stage of the season. I think like that all the time. So three points is the most important factor here. Of course, there is much to be discussed besides that, and little of it is positive.

But if we were to distill the issues right down to their essence, it's the usual story: we don't have enough genuinely top quality players, and we pretend we have more than we actually do.

No team who has pretensions to win the title can have footballers like Origi and Klavan EVER starting games. Or have footballers like Lallana, Firmino, Mignolet, Wijnaldum and Matip as guaranteed first team players. Or Milner as the best LB in the team.

We require about 6 signings in summer, and they need to be top quality. Not just 'OK'. Klopp's delusional loyalty and belief in mediocre talent needs to end. Because we may have beaten Burnley, but we were poor in doing so.

Mignolet (6) didn't have many saves to make and was beaten by their only shot on target. But was left totally exposed for the goal. Two fine punched clearances and some slow, inaccurate distribution. Same same.

Clyne (6) didn't track the runner for their goal, and was wasteful in possession. But he made some excellent attacking runs and never stopped working. Sometimes lacks that bit of consistent quality that elevates a good Premiership player into something more special

Matip (5) seems to be taking his 'Poundshop Alan Hansen' impression a bit far by also trying to replicate Jocky's total lack of aerial ability. Some of the most laughable attempts at headers I have ever seen.

Klavan (5) didn't seem to be in the pitch for the first 20 minutes, as an increasingly desperate Emre Can tried to cover the gaps Klavan and Matip were leaving. Once he'd turned up he was wholehearted and made a few solid challenges, but he's clearly not very good.

Milner (5) clump clump clump clump. Clump. Clump clump clump. Will someone please give James Milner a day off!

Can (6) oh Emre. Lots of industry and a fantastic winning goal. What more could we ask for? Well, let's see: winning more tackles, not bottling it, passing to your own players more than the opposition, and being a calm, reassuring influence. Not sure we will ever trust him.

Wijnaldum (7) the ultimate homer scores again. We should try and get a good enough squad so that he doesn't actually have to play away from home ever again. Got a bit lucky with his goal, but scored with his second attempt. Needs to show a bit more aggression and nastiness in midfield.

Lallana (5) he's either very good, mediocre or totally shite. This was one of his more mediocre displays, with some halfhearted buzzing around, a few nice turns, and not much else.

Mane (5) we probably expect too much from Mane, but the burden of being our only reliable goal scorer and attacker with any pace creates its own expectations. Very ordinary, but that's atypical.

Coutinho (3) dreadful

Origi (5) He's not really very good, as we all know, so this wasn't exactly a surprise. Not sure he even had a shot on target. Should join Klavan, Lucas, Moreno, Mignolet, Karius, Firmino, Can, Stewart, and the rest in the summer exodus.

Haha even in a game Firmino didn't play, Brendan still had to get his little dig in.

The truth is, we fucking missed him badly on Sunday.

But we scored two and won!
Brendan, for the most part I do like you and you can one of the better posters on 6CM. But when you post shite like that you really let yourself down.

As for the goals, yeah we got 2, but we were awful up front. Very lucky to come away with all 3 points.

Brendan, for the most part I do like you and you can one of the better posters on 6CM. But when you post shite like that you really let yourself down.

As for the goals, yeah we got 2, but we were awful up front. Very lucky to come away with all 3 points.

I know. We were shit. And so was Origi.

Regards to most peoples thoughts that Coutinho was poor again in this game and out of form, I wonder whether it's worth giving these players these massive fucking contract hikes in the summer and not the middle of a season? Seems quite a few go to shit straight after.

Regards to most peoples thoughts that Coutinho was poor again in this game and out of form, I wonder whether it's worth giving these players these massive fucking contract hikes in the summer and not the middle of a season? Seems quite a few go to shit straight after.

He's been playing up to his new tattoo - sheesh, whatever possessed him

JS114464379-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom