• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bye bye Sadio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have the club handled contracts well? You could probably say that they have, at least with the main men. A lot of players seem to be on ‘modest’ wages until they hit 30 then it’s a question of whether we like their stats and other qualities v what rival clubs are willing to pay.

Gini - the decline was underway and we’d be lumbered with another 30+ midfielder right now

Sadio - also in decline but found a second wind playing through the middle making things a bit more difficult

Mo - the toughest negotiation because he has shown himself to be absolute top level this season but tailed off massively post afcon, perhaps showing an obvious decline incoming

Bobby - definitely declined, probably no contact on offer

Yeah klopp is here for another four years so the way they plan has probably changed a bit. If we can get quite a bit for Mane and Salah this summer then they should take it, as the midfield needs new blood, one more shit hot winger would be needed, and we need cover at RB.

Ideally you could get a million quid a week off that wage bill by getting rid of some of the aging players and all of the shite, but it's a bit too much to expect in one window.

We’ve been talking about the inevitable rebuild for ages, certain players getting older, becoming less effective and needing replacing. It’s kinda funny that now that it looks like we are not the ones in control that it’s inducing a bit of panic and sourness.

Things woulda felt a lot different had we have not ended the season with disappointment I reckon. Now it’s like not only did we fall short but we are gonna lose this player and that.

I'm genuinely baffled by some of the reactions to Sadios imminent departure for two reasons.

Firstly people have been calling for a rebuild needing new blood etc to freshen up the team as so many of our top players tick over 30. Plenty of people said Mané was done when we signed Diaz to play in the same position

Secondly a large portion of our fans have spent the last year saying Mané was a spent force, would never recapture his form of 2 years ago and we should look to offload.

Mané has been great for us, his place in Liverpool history is assured. Sometimes a move just makes sense for all parties, this is one of those times.

Mane seems determined to leave on a sour note given his comments in the last few weeks, which is a real shame. You can only imagine the contract talks went badly.

I've seen some journalists suggest Victor Osimhen would be a credible replacement. There's no links, though.

They want €100m, so time to move on

Mane seems determined to leave on a sour note given his comments in the last few weeks, which is a real shame. You can only imagine the contract talks went badly.

I've seen some journalists suggest Victor Osimhen would be a credible replacement. There's no links, though.

They want €100m, so time to move on

With Diaz left and Bobby dipping in form, Mane is basically our main 9. Its fanciful but swap him for Lewandowski, or any proper top no9, and how many goals does this team get?
Trent and Robbo crossing from wide, plus Diaz and Mo causing havoc. Its a strikers wet dream.
That in turn would leave us less reliant on Salah's goals and we deal with him leaving next year.
So maybe this is an opportunity not a threat.

With Diaz left and Bobby dipping in form, Mane is basically our main 9. Its fanciful but swap him for Lewandowski, or any proper top no9, and how many goals does this team get?
Trent and Robbo crossing from wide, plus Diaz and Mo causing havoc. Its a strikers wet dream.
That in turn would leave us less reliant on Salah's goals and we deal with him leaving next year.
So maybe this is an opportunity not a threat.

We do have Jota and he has scored quite a few already

Lol, some of them are quite fanciful nonsense, including Mane's. By most accounts it seems to be 150k base but with appearance, goal and win bonuses (all of which have been regular since he renegotiated in 18) it will be near the 200k range.
Source? I've never seen the 150k figure at all.

I'm sure we'll never find out the right figure anyway.

Last edited:
Just read that Paulo Dybala is demanding £280k to join Tottenham, asked Juve for £373k during contract extension negotiation and was offered £260k by Inter.

Can see why the likes of Mane and Salah will be expecting high wages.

Source? I've never seen the 150k figure at all.

I'm sure we'll never find out the right figure anyway.

Amongst others;

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...v/22/sadio-mane-liverpool-contract-five-years

The 100k is widely reported to have been what he signed with us on from Southampton.
It's a degree of common sense too, there'd have been trouble long before now had he been on that still. Curtis Jones is listed on that wages site as £390k per year, local lad or not and squad player or not there's no way he'd be with us now on £7.5k per week.

My honest reading is this situation is that the club weren't keen on renewing Mane. It was him or Salah, and they chose the Egyptian. Come April and Salah is playing like shit while Mane has found a new lease of life in the centre, after booting Egypt out of AFCON, and the club is offering him a new contract at marginally improved rates.

Mane says fuck that shit. I'm going somewhere where I feel valued. Rightly so. It's his life, his career. Meanwhile, we do what's best for us.

As a British-born African I am saddened and perplexed when I hear about this 'need' to leave Liverpool. Like we just had a season where we played in every game possible and 60-70% of Senegal wants Mane to leave...?!!! For where Madrid? Barca? PSG? Bayern? Sure those teams will guarantee titles but how boring is it to be playing as part of a farmers league.

The irony is that this dominant Liverpool team is playing in a Premiership which is the strongest it has ever been. Recent reports show that the PL is starting to make more money from overseas contracts than domestic tv deals for the first time. How is leaving the world's most-watched league to join Barca/Madrid/Bayern/PSG more of an attraction?

I can stretch to understand the attraction of Real but even then the Spanish league has been a farmers league for a long long time.

I get Mbappe wanting to go to Real as that is his childhood team but other than money reasons I just don't get it. As for Mane surely Senegal fans know Real Madrid aint gonna do a Hazzard again and spend 100m on an older 30-year-old player again? Barca can't afford him. Bayern even with Mane ain't winning the Champions League and if Mane went to PSG, he's probably going to be on the bench as he's not breaking up Mbappe, Neymar and Messi.

I honestly think this Mane thing is about money, more than anything...Sure there may be some
Senegal fans saying he should leave Liverpool but I think Mane and his camp are using this as thier get-out strategy.

I'm just waiting for Mane to start complaining about back pains now...

Last edited:
There’s particular pride at the emergence of exciting young Senegalese players such as Liverpool’s Sadio Mané, Lazio’s Keita Baldé Diao or Kalidou Koulibaly who’s playing for Napoli.
However, the two most popular clubs in Senegal at the moment are the Spanish giants, FC Barcelona and Real Madrid, neither of whom currently has an African player in their first team squad – other than the Cameroonian born French international Samuel Umtiti.

This is taken from an article in 2017. https://theconversation.com/why-african-fans-love-european-football-a-senegalese-perspective-79856

I guess the Messi / Ronaldo era gave the Spanish giants a huge worldwide boost in Senegal / Africa. When Messi and Ronaldo were in their pomp they both contested and won the CL finals regularly and I'm assuming this helped to raise their fan base in countries like Senegal. I guess this is the reason Man City want to win the CL as winning it generates fans, especially those that see winning the CL as a marker for being the best team on the planet. Even Madrid fans themselves know Real Madrid isn't the best team on the planet right now but winning CL I guess raises your profile amongst potential new and casual fans.

FSG still with more work to do I guess!

This is from BBC 2015 ( a bit old to be honest but still interesting)

_84714675_africa_teamsxx_01.jpg

_84714680_africa_teamsxx_04.jpg

_84714677_africa_teamsxx_02.jpg

_84714678_africa_teamsxx_03.jpg

…against 10 man Benin

when are footballers supposed to get a break, it’s ridiculous

There’s particular pride at the emergence of exciting young Senegalese players such as Liverpool’s Sadio Mané, Lazio’s Keita Baldé Diao or Kalidou Koulibaly who’s playing for Napoli.
However, the two most popular clubs in Senegal at the moment are the Spanish giants, FC Barcelona and Real Madrid, neither of whom currently has an African player in their first team squad – other than the Cameroonian born French international Samuel Umtiti.

This is taken from an article in 2017. https://theconversation.com/why-african-fans-love-european-football-a-senegalese-perspective-79856

I guess the Messi / Ronaldo era gave the Spanish giants a huge worldwide boost in Senegal / Africa. When Messi and Ronaldo were in their pomp they both contested and won the CL finals regularly and I'm assuming this helped to raise their fan base in countries like Senegal. I guess this is the reason Man City want to win the CL as winning it generates fans, especially those that see winning the CL as a marker for being the best team on the planet. Even Madrid fans themselves know Real Madrid isn't the best team on the planet right now but winning CL I guess raises your profile amongst potential new and casual fans.

This explains a lot in terms of why Senegalese football fans would want Mane to leave a rival club (and nothing to do with LFC directly). Chelsea and Arsenal have always had a lot of African players too which explains their support.

This explains a lot in terms of why Senegalese football fans would want Mane to leave a rival club (and nothing to do with LFC directly). Chelsea and Arsenal have always had a lot of African players too which explains their support.
60-70% of Senegalese football fans want Mane to leave Liverpool.... Probably those Senagalese fans are United, Chelsea and Arsenal fans...no wonder they want him to leave Liverpool

60-70% of Senegalese football fans want Mane to leave Liverpool.... Probably those Senagalese fans are United, Chelsea and Arsenal fans...no wonder they want him to leave Liverpool
Exactly. However you also have to wonder where this figure came from. Obviously not a national referendum (haha) and so not 60-70% of the Senegalese population. Most won't give a damn where he plays and the vast majority (99%?) won't have voted anyway. So maybe just from a vote on a football forum dedicated to what?

Given our commitment to winning AFCON, one would think we will have more support in Africa. Or maybe that's the reason we have limited support, jealousy due to our AFCON success.

Bit strange that we Are not discussing what seems ro be The important part - that he doesn’t respect The top brass at lfc anymore after certain sitiations.

Would be intetesting to know what went down.

Time for yoga!

When you look at Liverpool's published wage bill, its on par with other major clubs who pay their stars £400-£500k per week.

Bit strange that we Are not discussing what seems ro be The important part - that he doesn’t respect The top brass at lfc anymore after certain situations.

Would be interesting to know what went down.

Time for yoga!

Actually, that last part of the quote about the top brass is just a fabrication and is not in the interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom