• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Charlie Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're all thinking it; Adam's attitude is the antithesis of Carroll's.

Somewhat ironically Carroll's attitude this summer is exactly what I'd expect of a 7m signing & Carroll's that of a 35m signing.

Dont think Carroll has done anything wrong or has a bad attitude. Drank a few beersvthi summer. But always has a smile on his face. Reported in Melwood earlier than everybody else to work on his fitness aswell.

Both top lads with great attitudes

I'm not writing him off anymore than I'm decrying Adam as a success, if you look at my post I didn't say that.

However I find it disappointing that our record breaking 35m signing spends the summer getting pissed every day & our 7m signing has spent the last three weeks working hard training.

BTW, to say Carroll has a 'top attitude' is somewhat taking the piss mate.

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=42898.msg1361738#msg1361738 date=1310107793]
I'm not writing him off anymore than I'm decrying Adam as a success, if you look at my post I didn't say that.

However I find it disappointing that our record breaking 35m signing spends the summer getting pissed every day & our 7m signing has spent the last three weeks working hard training.

BTW, to say Carroll has a 'top attitude' is somewhat taking the piss mate.
[/quote]

If you look at his Newcastle days it is, but he hasnt done anything wrong in a Liverpool shirt. Yet.
Couldnt be bothered about some beers on his holidays tbh.
And he's been back for the last two weeks at Melwood. Think he'll get more and more professional with age and Kenny by his side.

But Adam has been excellent through all this. Top pro. Thevway he reacted in january was second to none. He'll beca great player for us.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=42898.msg1361496#msg1361496 date=1310056913]
[quote author=Rosco link=topic=42898.msg1361425#msg1361425 date=1310050150]
I dont see him being anything other than a first team regular, regardless of who is still here in 6 weeks time.
[/quote]

based on what?
[/quote]

A number of things, he is exactly what we've been missing for two years. He's better than everyone in our centre midfield bar Gerrard / meireles if you include him as a CM.

And also the comments Comolli came out with this morning about the first two signings addressing real weaknesses in the team.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=42898.msg1361795#msg1361795 date=1310114129]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=42898.msg1361496#msg1361496 date=1310056913]
I dont see him being anything other than a first team regular, regardless of who is still here in 6 weeks time.
[/quote]

based on what?
[/quote]

A number of things, he is exactly what we've been missing for two years. He's better than everyone in our centre midfield bar Gerrard / meireles if you include him as a CM.

And also the comments Comolli came out with this morning about the first two signings addressing real weaknesses in the team.
[/quote]

you say better than everyone bar meireles and gerrard, er, that's two players that play in the centre of midfield and then you have lucas as the holding midfielder, toss in a left midfielder we will almost certainly buy and the ever present kuyt...

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=42898.msg1361799#msg1361799 date=1310114351] the ever present kuyt...
[/quote]

It doesn't have to be that way! Dirk has done a lot for us, but I don't feel that we are really making progress towards the top 4 as long as he remains a permanent fixture in the team. He just has too many limitations.

Meireles generally plays wide, Lucas is the weakness Comolli was referring to IMO.

Adam will play lots, wait and see

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=42898.msg1361795#msg1361795 date=1310114129]
[/quote]

based on what?
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm pleasantly surprised you're 'for' this signing Ross, he seems exactly the sort of player you're normally dead against, ie British with a few questions raised about how well he looks after himself. Got to say though, like you I'm well impressed with his professionalism over the last six months and his determination to get himself fit.

Thats pretty much it Mark, plenty of good players have one great season, sign their big contract and the put their feet up. Adam knows last season put him on the map and guaranteed him a nice next contract and he's out bursting his bollox to improve the one thing people were critical of.

The price was good, the attitude is great. No major red flags with this deal

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=42898.msg1361805#msg1361805 date=1310114710]
Meireles generally plays wide, Lucas is the weakness Comolli was referring to IMO.

Adam will play lots, wait and see
[/quote]

if there is one thing liverpool should strive for it's balance and playing meireles in a wide position will not achieve that. lucas may be seen as a weak link but I suspect he'd do a better job at shielding the defense than adam, gerrard or meireles. the only way I can see adam being a fixture in the side is if liverpool put en emphasis on a attack which lessens the need for an out and out holding midfielder and I saw no indication in the latter half of the season that that is what kenny intends to do. did lucas actually miss a game under kenny home or away?

[quote author=Mamma Mia link=topic=42898.msg1361829#msg1361829 date=1310117278]
Is "DM" your new "attacking full backs"?
[/quote]

well we have an attacking fullback in johnson.
okay some things to agree on (or not)

when gerrard is fit, he plays. agree?
downing, if signed will start on the left of midfield. agree?
that's two positions taken, leaving two positions left for midfield (assuming the front two positions are taken by carroll and suarez).

lucas - the most experienced holding midfielder at the club
meireles - fan favorite
kuyt - fan favorite
adam - brand new signing

so pick two

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=42898.msg1361837#msg1361837 date=1310118337]
I reckon meireles is off myself. He has a tendency to shit out of tackles that I can't see going down too well.
[/quote]

It would be a shame to see him go - he's a good player who should not be played out wide but he's no midfield enforcer. Not every player needs to be though

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=42898.msg1361837#msg1361837 date=1310118337]
I reckon meireles is off myself. He has a tendency to shit out of tackles that I can't see going down too well.
[/quote]

It's true that Meireles sometimes shits out of tackles but his ability more than compensates for that. He was arguably our most influential player last season and I sincerely hope he stays.

[/quote]

I fucking hope not, he was one of brightest players last year and is clearly a very good technical footballer.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=42898.msg1361838#msg1361838 date=1310118391]
It will change based on who we are playing. It's not simply a case of "pick two".
[/quote]

Exactly, we will have a fluid set up similar to United. I doubt any single United midfielder played more than 30 league matches last season. They had Anderson, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Valencia, Nani, Park and Fletcher and Ferguson rotated them depending on the opposition/injuries/tiredness. This system works (i.e. the players will accept it) as long as the team is succesful - however if results start going against us then it will become harder for Kenny to keep everyone happy.

Now my son wants the new 3rd kit with his name on the front ... but what number??? When does that get announced?

I'm sure young Brown Jr will be allocated a squad number once he's agreed personal terms and signed on the dotted line, Tom.

Last year he wore 3 for Corofin Harps, as he played left back. Now he has moved to left midfield (he really is an excellent defensive winger ???) so he generally wears 9 ... that is where the comparision with Ian Rush begins and ends.

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=42898.msg1361870#msg1361870 date=1310122482]
Id say he's better getting his name on the back myself
[/quote]
Every year is different - Reina one year, then Johnson (he was thinking Glenn, I was thinking Craig - minus the t), then a nice & easy J Brown, now its back to a player's name that he wants. He was thinkign of Maxi, but I managed to block that.

PS --- just realsied I completely missed the point. Front vs Back ... ignore me, most people do

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=42898.msg1361730#msg1361730 date=1310105350]
As Vlad, Rosco and a few others have mentioned, i like his attitude to keep himself fit so he is ready for the big step up.

To make it here, you must first want it....and all signs points to the belief that Adam really wants this. Pity you can't say the same about Joe Cole or Aquilani, they both seem to think they have already made it. It's a big surprise when they have two stunning examples of players who still demonstrate that Hunger after all these years right in front of them....i'm talking about Carra and Gerrard of course.

I think he might surprise us.

May i ask why no body seems to rate Adam's ability to shield the back 4? Alonso did that quite well, and Adam from what i have seen seems capable. May be his role will be to play that deep lying play-maker type role. In that case we can have Gerrard/Lucas and Meireles/Henderson along side him.
[/quote]

By all means play him in the deep-lying playmaker role, but whatever you do, don't depend on him to shield the defence, because he's shit at it.

[quote author=Pesam link=topic=42898.msg1361850#msg1361850 date=1310120003]
[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=42898.msg1361838#msg1361838 date=1310118391]
It will change based on who we are playing. It's not simply a case of "pick two".
[/quote]

Exactly, we will have a fluid set up similar to United. I doubt any single United midfielder played more than 30 league matches last season. They had Anderson, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Valencia, Nani, Park and Fletcher and Ferguson rotated them depending on the opposition/injuries/tiredness. This system works (i.e. the players will accept it) as long as the team is succesful - however if results start going against us then it will become harder for Kenny to keep everyone happy.
[/quote]

you can list the depth of manu's midfield but certain players play more often than others.

Fuck me. All this arguing about his role. Does no-one else listen to Kenny?

He doesn't agree with the concept of defensive midfielders & attacking midfielders, just midfielders who can do the lot.

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=42898.msg1361877#msg1361877 date=1310123329]
He doesn't agree with the concept of defensive midfielders & attacking midfielders, just midfielders who can do the lot.
[/quote]

I tend to agree with that. The "defensive midfielder" often doesn't contribute much. Under Benitez we often played with Lucas and Mascherano in front of the back four, and whatever you think of the respective skills of those players, the result was that we were toothless in attack. I think that strategy explains why we drew or lost so many games to the small fry, because the Mascherano/Lucas combo was under-employed while the back four didn't need anybody to protect them.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=42898.msg1361876#msg1361876 date=1310123279]
[quote author=Pesam link=topic=42898.msg1361850#msg1361850 date=1310120003]
[/quote]

[/quote]

you can list the depth of manu's midfield but certain players play more often than others.
[/quote]

No Neil, the 8 United midfielders that I mentioned all started EXACTLY 24 games each!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom