• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

City chase Suarez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure Mancini will be there for much longer.
I don't think they need Suarez. They just need a quality manager to run the squad they have.
Nail on head, Jimmy. It really doesn't reflect well on Mancini, the way he's struggling to get a win with the money he's spent and the squad he has.

He just won the league and is two points off the top. Granted they've been very poor in Europe, but he's done a good job.

Isnt it better to start moaning when there is actually something in this?
Cause now its just bollocks as usual.

We put it out there so we could talk about how we aren't going to sell Suarez and how we need more cash to match his ambition, Rogers is playing poker with the owners.

He just won the league and is two points off the top. Granted they've been very poor in Europe, but he's done a good job.
He won the league, on goal difference, in the dying seconds of the season. With the resources he has he should've have won it long before then.

However, I was talking about this season. Yes, he's 2 points off the top, but City seem to be struggling lately to get the results. And then there's Europe too. I'm just saying that I'd expect more from a manager who has that sort of quality in his team.

I really wish people would stop dismissing transfer rumours on the grounds of a lack of quotes. Some transfer gossip is true, some is untrue, none of it carries quotes, therefore some gossip without quotes is true.

We're never sensible when it comes to strikers though. I can't remember the last time we had enough, must be 10 years since we had.
I know I thinking that the other day - This reminds me of the time we had to rely on Pongolle and Mellor to lead the line. Still that worked out against Arsenal so you never know.

He won the league, on goal difference, in the dying seconds of the season. With the resources he has he should've have won it long before then.

However, I was talking about this season. Yes, he's 2 points off the top, but City seem to be struggling lately to get the results. And then there's Europe too. I'm just saying that I'd expect more from a manager who has that sort of quality in his team.

So you'd sack him for not winning the league by enough points and for, 11 games into a season, setting them up for another great chance of another title.

I wish you were their chairman.

If the local newspaper (MES) is saying they're not interested and want Falcao, I'd be more inclined to believe that tbh.

So you'd sack him for not winning the league by enough points and for, 11 games into a season, setting them up for another great chance of another title.

I wish you were their chairman.
I didn't say anything about sacking him. I was agreeing with Jimmy that he doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of his players lately.

At least Rodgers has come out quickly enough to quosh it from his point of view anyway, he couldn't have been much clearer.

Better to start with a Dr Evil amount: 1 trillion dollars and take it from there.

Suarez is definitely worth in excess of 60M given his talent and the length of his contract. Whether anyone will pay that is another matter.

He's won player of the month:

"Now I'm here, it's all about enjoying myself and trying to be here for as many years as I can, because I'm at a club where I'm very happy, my family is happy, I've got fantastic teammates and a manager from whom I'm learning so much.

"As a player, it's vital to have the backing of your manager and so I think that the confidence Brendan is showing in myself and the team as a whole is very important and it's down to us to repay that trust out there on the pitch."

Suarez added: "Let's hope we can keep improving. I'm working well and I'm very happy at a club where I've always wanted to be. At a club to whom I'm very grateful for the trust everyone is showing in me - a club with amazing supporters and teammates who are all great people.

"The other important thing is that the squad is very united. In spite of not getting the results we would have liked, we have a great spirit of togetherness and let's hope we can continue to pick up points."

That 'trust' he mentions has to be our (the club, fans etc) reaction to the Evra scandal ... We may have handled it the wrong way at times, and it did cause much negativity around the club, but it's kept this magical, phenomenal player happy despite our current form. As some of us have said, he may be repaying the loyalty (unlike Ajax during 'Tyson MK II') and we have two windows to keep this guy here long term.

Can I hope that there's a great positive to Suarez's villain-like reputation in England in that no other English team will want to touch him? Or is that just crap?

The Ronaldo comparisons are plain stupid.
Utd had a squad that contained Rooney,Tevez and an upcoming Wellbeck to weigh in with 40 plus goals.
The point raised was clubs dont sell their best players. Ronaldo was their best player simple.

Tony Barrett
Last updated at 12:01AM, November 15 2012

Roberto Mancini wants Manchester City’s recently installed hierarchy to back him in a January bid to prise Luis Suárez away from Liverpool.
In what is likely to prove a significant test of Mancini’s influence over the club’s transfer strategy, the Manchester City manager is hoping that sufficient funds will be released to allow him to test Liverpool’s avowed resolve to keep Suárez.
The recent appointments of Txiki Begiristain as director of football and Ferran Soriano as chief executive have tilted the balance of power away from Mancini. The Italian will have to convince his superiors of the need to pursue Suárez, particularly as City already have a wealth of attacking options to choose from.
Mancini, though, believes Suárez could reinvigorate a City side who have struggled at times this season despite remaining unbeaten in the Barclays Premier League after 11 games. He also regards the Uruguayan as a more attainable and potentially cheaper target than Radamel Falcao, the prolific Atlético Madrid forward in whom Chelsea are also interested.
Any pursuit of Suárez would require the departure of at least one of City’s quartet of costly forwards, with Mancini having spent in excess of £130 million on Carlos Tévez, Sergio Agüero, Edin Dzeko and Mario Balotelli in recent seasons and the need to comply with Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations an increasing concern.
Balotelli’s position at City is already under threat because of his failure to score a single league goal so far this season and also as a result of a series of indiscretions that have brought him into conflict with Mancini.
The Italy striker was left out of the City squad for the 2-1 win over Tottenham Hotspur at the weekend with reports emerging afterwards claiming that he had been at a Cheshire nightspot only 12 hours before kick-off.
Mino Raiola, Balotelli’s agent, has insisted that Balotelli will see out the remainder of his contract despite the growing feeling at City that the 22-year-old is no longer worth the continuing distractions that his presence provokes.
“Everyone has their own ideas, but Mario will remain at Manchester City,” Raiola said. “He won’t go to AC Milan. He will be a City player for at least another 2½ years because Mario is not thinking about other clubs.”
Persuading City to back his judgment over Suárez is a significant hurdle in itself for Mancini but even that is unlikely to prove as difficult as convincing Liverpool to part company with the 25-year-old who signed a lucrative long-term contract only in August.
City failed in a bid to sign Daniel Agger during the summer because of Liverpool’s insistence that they would sell the defender only for a fee in the region of £27 million. Although Mancini later denied that any offers had been made for the Denmark player, Liverpool confirmed that they had rejected bids from City.
At the time, Brendan Rodgers admitted that “every player has his price” but Liverpool’s determination to retain the services of Suárez and build a team around him was reflected when they trebled his salary to £120,000 per week as part of his new contract. Suárez committed himself to Liverpool despite strong interest from Juventus, who continue to monitor him, and, since extending his contract, his performance levels have reached new heights as reflected by the 11 goals he has scored this season.
Unlike Fernando Torres, who joined Chelsea in a £50 million transfer almost two years ago after becoming increasingly disillusioned with life at Anfield, Suárez is known to be happy at Liverpool and recently credited the support he has received from the club and its supporters as one of the main motivations behind his decision to remain there.
But there is also an acceptance at Liverpool — one which was articulated by Rodgers only last week — that they will have to prove themselves capable of matching Suárez’s ambitions if they are to guarantee his loyalty in the future. Mancini would hope that the lure of Champions League football and competing for honours would bring forward the test of his devotion to Liverpool’s cause.

Sam Munnery, Tony Barrett
Last updated at 2:06PM, November 15 2012
Brendan Rodgers insists that even the wealth of Manchester City cannot prise Luis Suárez away from Anfield, after it was revealed that Roberto Mancini is keen to sign the Liverpool striker.
The City manager hopes that sufficient funds will be released in January to allow him to test Liverpool’s avowed resolve to keep Suárez, as The Times reported today, but Rodgers indicated the club would not be listening to offers because the Uruguayan is not for sale.
“There will be no bidding war. He’s staying here,” the Liverpool manager said. “If we lost Luis then we’ve got no strikers. I don’t think we can afford to lose anyone.
“He’s certainly not someone we want to sell or move on. He’s been a brilliant player to work with and we want to add to our squad, not take people out of it, especially a world-class player.”
Mancini believes Suárez could reinvigorate a City side who have struggled at times this season despite remaining unbeaten in the Barclays Premier League after 11 games. He also regards the Uruguay striker as a more attainable and potentially cheaper target than Radamel Falcao, the prolific Atlético Madrid forward in whom Chelsea are also interested.
Any pursuit of Suárez would require the departure of at least one of City’s quartet of costly forwards, with Mancini having spent in excess of £130 million on Carlos Tévez, Sergio Agüero, Edin Dzeko and Mario Balotelli in recent seasons and the need to comply with Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations an increasing concern.
Liverpool’s determination to retain the services of Suárez and build a team around him was reflected in August when they trebled his salary to £120,000 a week as part of his new contract. Suárez committed himself to Liverpool despite strong interest from Juventus, who continue to monitor him, and, since extending his contract, his performance levels have reached new heights as reflected by the 11 goals he has scored this season.
The club know, however, that they will need to match Suárez’s ambitions if they are to guarantee his loyalty in the future, with Rodgers aware of the need to strengthen Liverpool’s forward line when the transfer window opens in January, even if he does not consider this a factor in convincing Suárez to stay.
“We just continue to work and stay focused on what we try to achieve,” Rodgers said. “Luis has already shown in the summer his commitment to the club, he’s signed a new deal.
“I think you’ve seen up until this point he’s in a great moment in his footballing life here at Liverpool: he is scoring goals and working well. I’ll just continue to communicate with all the players and Luis in particular. Like I say, he’s very happy here.”

Tony Barrett
Published 1 minute ago
Brendan Rodgers insisted yesterday that Luis Suárez is not for sale at any price, but the Liverpool manager has told Stewart Downing that he will be made available for transfer in January.
Rodgers laughed off suggestions of a transfer-window spending spree being funded by the departure of Suárez, who has been linked with Manchester City.

Crucially, Rodgers has been contacted by John W. Henry in the past 24 hours and the club’s principal owner has reassured him that there is no desire to sell Suárez, even in the event of City — or any other club — making a British-record offer for the Uruguay forward.

Liverpool’s aim remains to build a team around Suárez, 25, and the idea of sacrificing him to fund much-needed squad replenishment is not even being considered. “There will be no bidding war [for Suárez],” Rodgers said. “He’s staying here. If you lose Luis, then we will have no strikers.
“He’s certainly not someone we want to sell or move on. He has been a brilliant player to work with. We want to add to our squad, not take people out of it, especially world-class players. Luis has already shown his commitment in the summer by signing a new deal. He’s scoring goals and playing well and working well.”

Funds have been made available to Rodgers as he seeks to bolster a squad that has looked short of both quality and quantity during a testing season. But the manager has also accepted that he will have to try to move on high earners who are struggling to justify their salaries, even if it means taking a substantial loss on their transfer fees.

Downing is the first to discover that he falls into that category. He no longer features in Rodgers’s plans and will be allowed to leave in January. Liverpool will seek to sell the England winger for a vastly reduced price, having paid Aston Villa £20 million for the 28-year-old in July 2011.
Downing has been fighting to save his career at Anfield since Rodgers replaced Kenny Dalglish as manager in June. The emergence of Raheem Sterling and Suso has been particularly damaging to his hopes of winning a reprieve, the two teenagers regularly being preferred by Rodgers in the wide positions.

A match-winning goal against Anzhi Makhachkala in the Europa League last month appeared to have given Downing a shot in the arm, but after last week’s defeat by the same opponents, Rodgers made it clear that he has no future at Anfield.

Liverpool are not looking to allow the winger to go out on loan and will seek a fee for him, but there is a realisation that they will need to adopt a more pragmatic approach to facilitate the departures of other players deemed surplus to requirements.

One possibility being mooted is for the club to subsidise salaries of players such as Joe Cole if they move to other clubs. The midfielder is earning in excess of £100,000 a week, but has started only one Barclays Premier League game since January 2011 and Rodgers — who expects negotiations over Sterling’s new contract to be “straightforward” — accepts that Liverpool must consider cutting their losses.

“Well, that’s something that from the business angle may be looked at, but ultimately it’s about players and getting the right types of players here,” Rodgers said. “Players want to play and if they’re not playing, there’s maybe going to be some interest in them.”

i don't know ...you'd like to think someone like downing or cole will be motivated by playing and look to move themselves on . But i guess it's all about money , i mean even fowler was taking money off a sinking Leeds a long time after he left .

Way to go Tony Barrett, march your 'story' up to the top of the hill and then march it back down again. What's wrong with the guy of late?, pure speculation with no quotes from Citeh or even 'a source close to the club'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom