• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Fight for Gareth Barry Round II begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Binny

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Martin O'Neill will not place Gareth Barry under any pressure to make a decision on his future at the end of the season, but the Aston Villa manager has sown a couple of seeds of doubt in the midfielder's mind ahead of what could prove to be his last game for the club against Newcastle United on Sunday.

With Rafael Benítez set to resurrect his interest in the player this summer, O'Neill claimed that, had he been in Barry's position last year, he would have felt "hurt" that the Liverpool manager had been unable to raise £18m to meet Villa's asking price yet later paid £20m for Robbie Keane. O'Neill also suggested that the 28-year-old's hopes of retaining his place in the England side would be enhanced through the guarantee of regular first-team football at Villa Park.

"People have said before that we 'beat' Liverpool but that wasn't the case," said O'Neill, reflecting on Villa's resistance to Liverpool's attempts to sign Barry 12 months ago. "If they had come up with the deal and met our price then I assume it would have gone through. One of the disappointing aspects for Gareth was that Liverpool were claiming they could only afford this certain [amount] of money and then spent £20m on Robbie Keane almost overnight."

Asked if that course of events upset Barry, O'Neill replied: "I'm sure if I was a player I would have been [hurt]. If someone had told me they were coming for me and the next thing they're saying they don't have it and then they go and buy someone else for £20m within a day or two, that would be a different issue."

The Villa manager is aware of just how badly Barry wants to play Champions League football, but he also believes that the former Brighton trainee, who has 12 months remaining on his contract, will give serious consideration to the impact any move would have on his England career when he makes a decision after the World Cup qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Andorra next month.

"There is no rush," said O'Neill. "Gareth has got things to ponder and consider. Obviously his own thoughts, not mine, could be more concerned about his England position and obviously that's something that he is considering. He wants Champions League football. The thing to consider is that we would rotate less than other teams and Gareth is one who thrives on playing most weeks."

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=33692.msg872957#msg872957 date=1243060740]
28, with 12 months left on his contract. 10m? Fuck off.
[/quote]

Yup.

O'Neill has been true to his word over this. He said last season he wanted Barry to give him a chance to see if they could get in the CL, and he maintained that he wouldn't stand in his way this Summer should he decide it was time to move on.

Fair play. It was a big gamble because ultimately they've missed out on the CL and a fair chunk of last Summer's asking price.

If we could sell Lucas and some other no-mark for close to that amount, I'd have no qualms about spending that amount on Barry. He would be an excellent addition.

[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=33692.msg872966#msg872966 date=1243063519]
If we could sell Lucas and some other no-mark for close to that amount, I'd have no qualms about spending that amount on Barry. He would be an excellent addition.
[/quote]

I have no doubt about his quality & how well he'd fit in. I just dont think 10m is a fair valuation, any more than I thought 18m was.

Call it 7m & I'd be happy. I think whether Arsenal are serious about him, & whether they actually have cash, will be key.

Hmmm.... I dunno Jon. £10m isn't too bad a price for a Premiership proven player who you'll get 4 to 5 years service out of especially when you consider how much we spent on Lucas and Dossena. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be spending that amount unless we could recoup the cash and we had already secured our main targets. I certainly wouldn't be selling Alonso to bring Barry in as a replacement.

[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=33692.msg872966#msg872966 date=1243063519]
[/quote]

Agreed, but I wish we would just get on with it. Bored with Barry, bored with Tevez.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=33692.msg872964#msg872964 date=1243063089]
O'Neill has been true to his word over this. He said last season he wanted Barry to give him a chance to see if they could get in the CL, and he maintained that he wouldn't stand in his way this Summer should he decide it was time to move on.

Fair play. It was a big gamble because ultimately they've missed out on the CL and a fair chunk of last Summer's asking price.
[/quote]

I wouldn't say slapping a non-negotiable 10m price tag on a player with one year left on his contract is not standing in his way. This is still as much about MON's ego as anything.

[quote author=Buddha link=topic=33692.msg872973#msg872973 date=1243064456]

[/quote]

I wouldn't say slapping a non-negotiable 10m price tag on a player with one year left on his contract is not standing in his way. This is still as much about MON's ego as anything.
[/quote]

He's at a club with ambitions of regularly competing for Europe, while Barry, however much people rate him, is an England International and one of the best central midfielders in the Premiership.

Crouch didn't have long left on his contract last Summer, yet we still received £12m for him from Pompey, was that down to Rafa's ego? Or was it down to Rafa trying to do what was best for the club?

£10m is a fair asking price for Barry, regardless of his contract situation. O'Neill knows there will be enough top club interest so he's in a strong position to get the best outcome for Villa.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=33692.msg872975#msg872975 date=1243064774]
[quote author=Buddha link=topic=33692.msg872973#msg872973 date=1243064456]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He's at a club with ambitions of regularly competing for Europe, while Barry, however much people rate him, is an England International and one of the best central midfielders in the Premiership.

Crouch didn't have long left on his contract last Summer, yet we still received £12m for him from Pompey, was that down to Rafa's ego? Or was it down to Rafa trying to do what was best for the club?

£10m is a fair asking price for Barry, regardless of his contract situation. O'Neill knows there will be enough top club interest so he's in a strong position to get the best outcome for Villa.
[/quote]

Crouch's fee was no more than 9m, no?

Anyway, your point stands even if Crouch did go for 9m (I'd forgotten about that). I'm probably letting my dislike of MON get in the way of objectivity.

Player name Peter Crouch
To Portsmouth
Fee £11,000,000
Date 11.07.2008
Manager Rafael Benítez
Notes 8.75 million pounds paid initially, the rest related to number of appearances and performance of the club.

[quote author=rage link=topic=33692.msg872982#msg872982 date=1243067303]
can't barry buy himself out? sure he'd cost less than 5 million if he did that
[/quote]

Too old?

i think the buy out only applies if you are moving to a different country, dont think it can be done and then moving to a club in the same league

I do think O'Neil, apart from being a neurotic loony, has a point about the way we dealt with Barry.
I think we behaved badly.
I also think we have to look at Villa's stance on it as not being unreasonable.
He was not for sale, they did not want him to go and so they could ask what the fuck they liked for him.
£20m (or thereabouts was the figure they wanted) so it was up to us either to pay it , or not.
We got Barry to agree to come, burn his bridges with the club, and then left him to hang out to dry.
My only criticism might be that had he forgone his "loyalty" bonus he could have made the deal happen.
Barry must have been surprised when we pulled Keane out of the hat, but clearly Juventus pulling out of the Xabi deal was more significant than the Robbie Keane thing as we did need a striker anyway

regards

[quote author=Vlads Quiff link=topic=33692.msg872994#msg872994 date=1243069479]
I do think O'Neil, apart from being a neurotic loony, has a point about the way we dealt with Barry.
I think we behaved badly.
I also think we have to look at Villa's stance on it as not being unreasonable.
He was not for sale, they did not want him to go and so they could ask what the fuck they liked for him.
£20m (or thereabouts was the figure they wanted) so it was up to us either to pay it , or not.
We got Barry to agree to come, burn his bridges with the club, and then left him to hang out to dry.
My only criticism might be that had he forgone his "loyalty" bonus he could have made the deal happen.
Barry must have been surprised when we pulled Keane out of the hat, but clearly Juventus pulling out of the Xabi deal was more significant than the Robbie Keane thing as we did need a striker anyway

regards
[/quote]

Not much to argue with there but we do have a counter argument.

Certain people (though not in an official capacity) can whisper in Barry's ear that it was his saga last year which Rafa was fighting over and could have lost his job over. People above the manager did not sanction the move and that irked Benitez so much that it caused months of fighting and eventually led to Parry stepping down.

In fact, Rafa wanted Barry so much last season that it has changed how we do business, so much so that Rafa now has the power to say 'yes, I want that player and I want to spend this amount on him'.

Rafa has pushed the boat out for you Gareth, he really wants you and now he has the power he is back - isnt that the kind of manager you want to play for ?................................................... is what one could possibly counter-argue ?

[quote author=Avmenon link=topic=33692.msg872996#msg872996 date=1243070169]
Agreed with this.

I actually think we're not going to bite this time tho.
[/quote]

Really ?

This is the only transfer I'm almost certain will happen.

Yeah, I'm probably wrong...but I do think Rafa wouldn't be idiotic enough to waltz with MON again after getting his toes stepped on last year..and I'm sure he MUST see LW as a far bigger problem.

Depends on what happens with Alonso, of course..all the noises indicate that Rafa wants him to stay...and IF that's true, I think Barry's only coming if we can sell Lucas...which isnt going to happen either.

I think Rafa's going to gamble big on the left flank.

Silva or Tevez (in a front 3)

With or without player sales,PM?

You don't really want to see Barry here when we already have Masher,Alonso, Gerrard and Lucas, do you?

I suppose that scenario is possible, if we don't get a striker...leaving Gerrrad up as 2nd striker.

This transfer is like being on the Titanic for me.

Just get the disaster over already I'm tired of waiting for us to hit the ice.

[quote author=Avmenon link=topic=33692.msg873018#msg873018 date=1243072603]

You don't really want to see Barry here when we already have Masher,Alonso, Gerrard and Lucas, do you?

I suppose that scenario is possible, if we don't get a striker...leaving Gerrrad up as 2nd striker.
[/quote]

Ideally it would be as a direct replacement for Lucas mate.

But if we have to sell Xabi in order to help fund a couple of quality attacking signings, then I'm OK with that too.

[quote author=Avmenon link=topic=33692.msg873018#msg873018 date=1243072603]

[/quote]

IMO Rafa no longer looks upon Gerrard as a straight CM player. In Rafa's mind he is our AM - full stop. His goals and overall contribution this season prove that.

So therefore Barry fits into the scheme of things nicely - as does either Tevez or Silva (both capable of left of a 3 or playing AM when Gerrard is not available. Johnson would conclude the Summer's buying spree.

10m? No thanks. If he had 4yrs left on his contract, then at 28, he'd be just about worth that much. But with a year, no way. We only got £8m for Owen and he was World Class at the time.. and it wasn't in a recession.

Centre Midfield is one of the last positions that need strengthening.

Spend ALL the money we do have on a Left Winger, Forward and Right Back.. if there's anything left after that. offer it to Villa for Barry. If they accept, great. If not, meh.

P.s. What I don't want to see is Alonso being sold for this fella. He is NOT an adequate replacement for Alonso.

I don't know why people rate a player's worth on how long he has left on his contract. His value is based on his ability and the amount the selling club want for him.

[quote author=ibromurph link=topic=33692.msg873062#msg873062 date=1243078027]
10m? No thanks. If he had 4yrs left on his contract, then at 28, he'd be just about worth that much. But with a year, no way. We only got £8m for Owen and he was World Class at the time.. and it wasn't in a recession.

Centre Midfield is one of the last positions that need strengthening.

Spend ALL the money we do have on a Left Winger, Forward and Right Back.. if there's anything left after that. offer it to Villa for Barry. If they accept, great. If not, meh.

P.s. What I don't want to see is Alonso being sold for this fella. He is NOT an adequate replacement for Alonso.

[/quote]

Blame Rick Parry for that 8million!

[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=33692.msg873063#msg873063 date=1243078478]
I don't know why people rate a player's worth on how long he has left on his contract. His value is based on his ability and the amount the selling club want for him.
[/quote]

Don't start letting the basic laws of economics cloud your judgment Liam

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom