• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Fight for Gareth Barry Round II begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=33692.msg873063#msg873063 date=1243078478]
I don't know why people rate a player's worth on how long he has left on his contract. His value is based on his ability and the amount the selling club want for him.
[/quote]

because the amount the selling club want for him is partly based on the time remaining on his contract.

Exactly, or there would have been little reason for Villa to bring the price down this season.

O'Neill and Villa need to be very careful over this.  If they f'ck us off again, they'll be left with a player who (however good he may be) is likely to be mightily naffed off with them and correspondingly unlikely to produce his best, plus a transfer kitty millions shy of where it might have been.  If we want Barry badly enough, we have cards of our own to play yet.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=33692.msg873106#msg873106 date=1243085468]
Exactly, or there would have been little reason for Villa to bring the price down this season.

O'Neill and Villa need to be very careful over this. If they f'ck us off again, they'll be left with a player who (however good he may be) is likely to be mightily naffed off with them and correspondingly unlikely to produce his best, plus a transfer kitty millions shy of where it might have been. If we want Barry badly enough, we have cards of our own to play yet.
[/quote]

But we do also run the risk of Arsenal coming in for him if we let it drag on. In which case Villa would be in the driving seat again. I doubt Barry has any special feelings towards Liverpool. He just wants to play in Europe.

Oh FFS, not this again ::). I hope the fucker does his ACL in training and that puts an end to it.

[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=33692.msg873063#msg873063 date=1243078478]
I don't know why people rate a player's worth on how long he has left on his contract. His value is based on his ability and the amount the selling club want for him.
[/quote]

Well you've got to, cos Villa will receive nothing for him if he refuses to sign for anyone but us & refuses to sign a new contract. Therefore they amount we have to pay should be less, provided the player really wants to join.

To be honest, if I'm MON, I'll take the reported 8m offer. Even with Barry, they're unlikely to get 4th spot next season so why not use the money and the wages saved to continue investing in the squad, esp. since he knows how small it is, already this season.

I think we looked like morons coming out of the Barry saga last year, usually when a big club sets its sights on a certain player, they manage to sign him, our inability to do so was drawn out publically over weeks.

I hope we don't have to endure the same circus again this year. If we want to sign him, fine, just pay the price and get the deal done, let's not dilly dally around.

[quote author=juniormember link=topic=33692.msg873121#msg873121 date=1243088013]
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=33692.msg873106#msg873106 date=1243085468]

O'Neill and Villa need to be very careful over this. If they f'ck us off again, they'll be left with a player who (however good he may be) is likely to be mightily naffed off with them and correspondingly unlikely to produce his best, plus a transfer kitty millions shy of where it might have been. If we want Barry badly enough, we have cards of our own to play yet.
[/quote]

But we do also run the risk of Arsenal coming in for him if we let it drag on. In which case Villa would be in the driving seat again. I doubt Barry has any special feelings towards Liverpool. He just wants to play in Europe.
[/quote]

He may not have special feelings towards Liverpool FC, but he and Stevie G are good mates and we seem likely to be on the cusp of big things now, whereas the Arse on the other hand could well be going into a transitional period. They're certainly a factor, but I'd bet good money that Barry would prefer to come to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom