• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I want ‘Angel’ De Ligt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another clanger from this lad costs a goal. I've watched this lad twice and he's been shit twice.
He wasn't shit over 90 mins at all but he does have a propensity to dive in, I think VvD would have just ushered ball & player out of play. He's young though so rashness is in his blood.

Any ideas as to why the England supporters are booing Virgil van Dijk every time he is on the ball?

I know they are thick as fuck but there must be some reason other than that he is very good.
Most of them are fans from London clubs. And didn't we fuck them all up this past season ?!

Maguire is quoted at £85m.

Which one out of him and DeLigt is the better value?

Neither are in VVD's class of course.

He had a moment just before the Stones blunder where he was easily deprived of a ball that should have been his and Virge had to mop things up, and there were a few other occasions where he was gotten the better of physically when the ball was there to win.

For the benefit of those who have become defensive and aren't seeing the wood for the trees, I'm sure that those who have been talking him up have seen a great player in him, and that age of being only 19 means they attach special status to him. I have only watched him twice, but in those 2 games I have seen more blunders leading to goals than I have seen from any of our CBs this entire season. Maybe I'm his Kryptonite and I have witnessed his only abominations, but I can only say that I believe he needs to develop before he is ready for the very highest level.
Yep. He definitely looks a great player in the making .. but he's 19 and experience matters so much for CBs playing at the highest level.

It's not actually that surprising City are not in for him because they don't want projects, they want the finished article and he's far from it. Now at 24-26 I bet you he's one of the best on the planet. But not many of the very top teams can have that amount of patience when they want trophies 'today' not tomorrow or in a few years' time.

I still like Gomez more but I do wish he had De Ligt's height and heading power to go with his other attributes.

Thought Gomez was pretty tall, and is he bad in the air? He's good defensively, and that's more important for us, or anyone really.

Thought Gomez was pretty tall, and is he bad in the air? He's good defensively, and that's more important for us, or anyone really.

He's 6 foot 2, ish.

I think any issues with his aerial prowess may be coloured by his occasional problem at full-back, when he seemed to totally lose sight of high diagonal balls, and jump at the wrong time.

But I'm not that forensic about that sort of thing, so I'll wait for some "aerial duel" stats from some sperg.

Having watched loads of De Ligt it's safe to say he's an absolute monster of a defender and he'll only get better.

His top attribute is probably his mentality. He's just the perfect footballer in that aspect really. A leader, a fighter, a potential colossus in any defence for years to come.

We should be all over this one.

That thinking you're great thing was Lovren's downfall. We don't need another one of them

Having watched loads of De Ligt it's safe to say he's an absolute monster of a defender and he'll only get better.

His top attribute is probably his mentality. He's just the perfect footballer in that aspect really. A leader, a fighter, a potential colossus in any defence for years to come.

We should be all over this one.

I've seen him play three times, and each time his mentality has been praised and ability to recover from mistakes, as he made a mistake leading to a goal in each game.

I've seen him play three times, and each time his mentality has been praised and ability to recover from mistakes, as he made a mistake leading to a goal in each game.
Ha ha yeah, but that's part of the game too, learning and getting back from your mistakes.

Anyways seems we're out of the mix and it's either Barca or PSG now, acc. to Dutch papers this morning.

Dammit.

Ha ha yeah, but that's part of the game too, learning and getting back from your mistakes.

Anyways seems we're out of the mix and it's either Barca or PSG now, acc. to Dutch papers this morning.

Dammit.

I'd be very surprised if he doesn't end up at Barcelona. Their defence needs major surgery, and they obviously have very strong Dutch connections.

It's not uncommon for young CBs to make mistakes, so I wouldn't judge him solely on that. Having said that, this is not a signing I would be interested in at all. Perfectly happy with our CB options. Sign a top attacker, and versatile full-back (capable of playing both RB and LB), and we should be done.

That thinking you're great thing was Lovren's downfall. We don't need another one of them
He's NOTHING like Lovren mentality wise. He's a humble lad but he's going to spearhead a top team in the future as he's a born leader type of lad. In a Virgil kind of way if you like.

According to James Pearce, the whole coaching staff are very confident that Ki-Jana Hoever will become a top class CB, and also regard Gomez as very impressive, and so although they admire de Ligt they don't see a space for him. Also, de Ligt's main demand is to go to a club where he'll play pretty much all the time, and that wouldn't happen here when there's several senior CBs on the books.

It's not uncommon for young CBs to make mistakes, so I wouldn't judge him solely on that. Having said that, this is not a signing I would be interested in at all. Perfectly happy with our CB options. Sign a top attacker, and versatile full-back (capable of playing both RB and LB), and we should be done.
Part of me actually agrees with that assesment, sometimes however a player comes by with such immense potential that I'd still love for us to be involved even though the position he covers is not a top priority.

Part of me actually agrees with that assesment, sometimes however a player comes by with such immense potential that I'd still love for us to be involved even though the position he covers is not a top priority.
If he were cheap, that would make sense. Klopp will not spend a fuckton this summer. It'll be at best one big signing, that's it. I'd much rather that signing be an attacker than a CB we don't really need.

Yeah his heading stats are not even close to those of Matip or Lovren, clearly we don't even need to consider VvD.

vs Matip
18/19 (Matip Played 22 games to 16)
Matip had 44 Headed Clearances and won 66 Aerial Battles vs Gomez' 17 Headed Clearances and won 24 Aerial Battles.

17/18 (Matip Played 25 games to 23)
Matip had 58 Headed Clearances and won 57 Aerial Battles vs Gomez' 26 Headed Clearances and won 33 Aerial Battles.

vs Lovren
18/19 Lovren : 27 Headed Clearances and 53 Aerial Battles won in 18/19 with Gomez having 17 Headed Clearances and won 24 Aerial Battles (abbreviated season but still played more games than Lovren, 16-13)
Gomez also played 23 to 13 games vs Lovren in 17/18 but still Lovren had more Headed Clearances 27-26 and won more Aerial Battles 53-33.

Those are pretty definitive statistics however maybe Gomez can be coached, I really hope so as otherwise he looks awesome.

Last edited:
Maguire is quoted at £85m.

Which one out of him and DeLigt is the better value?

Neither are in VVD's class of course.

De Ligt IMO. Maguire's good but very one-footed (his left's just a swinger) plus de Ligt is younger so has more room for improvement. I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on either one but de Ligt would be far better value for money in my book.

So any defender in the world right now is not on Virgil’s level because he’s the best there is. De Ligt will get there. How is that a total breakdown?

Look this was meant as a bit of banter I think we should be all over him. You don’t. No biggie.
I agree, no biggie.

Yeah his heading stats are not even close to those of Matip or Lovren, clearly we don't even need to consider VvD.

vs Matip
Matip had 44 Headed Clearances and won 66 Aerial Battles vs Gomez' 17 Headed Clearances and won 24 Aerial Battles.

Matip had 58 Headed Clearances and won 57 Aerial Battles vs Gomez' 26 Headed Clearances and won 33 Aerial Battles.

vs Lovren
18/19 Lovren : 27 Headed Clearances and 53 Aerial Battles won in 18/19 with Gomez having 17 Headed Clearances and won 24 Aerial Battles (abbreviated season but still played more games than Lovren, 16-13)
Gomez also played 23 to 13 games vs Lovren in 17/18 but still Lovren had more Headed Clearances 27-26 and won more Aerial Battles 53-33.

Those are pretty definitive statistics however maybe Gomez can be coached, I really hope so as otherwise he looks awesome.

They're not though, because of the 39 games he played, only 16 were as a CB, 23 were as a full back. Headed clearances are clearly less for full backs. Not saying that he's good at them or anything or that you're wrong about him, just that nothing can be derived from those stats.

They're not though, because of the 39 games he played, only 16 were as a CB, 23 were as a full back. Headed clearances are clearly less for full backs. Not saying that he's good at them or anything or that you're wrong about him, just that nothing can be derived from those stats.
Yeah I clearly forgot about those played at RB. But he has played a number at CB before his injury as he and VvD were clearly our #1 partnership, let me check on how many games he started at CB and how many at RB ..............

OK here we are:

16/17 : played all of his games at CB but only 3 of them were for the first team and those were all in the FAC, all the other games he played that season (8) were for the U23s.

17/18 (PL only) ((all matches))
CB : 0 (( +1 EFL ))
FB : 22 (( +6 CL +1 FAC))

18/19 (PL only) ((all matches))
CB : 10 (( +3 CL))
FB : 3 (I've not included his two comeback matches with only 4' and 2' respectively, as RB) ((+4 CL ))

That will of course skew the stats a lot but 18/19 still shows a trend. I still feel that aerially he is the weakest of our 4 main CBs. Let's hope Klopp & co. can get him up to Matip/Lovren level at least, then with his other attributes he will be an outstanding CB for years to come.

Wages will be a HUGE issue if we're serious.

Utd are supposedly offering upwards of 240k a week, some reports saying 300k.

For us to come close or even beat that for a such a young new player then we need to increase a number of our other major players wages also, the cost could be massive.

Ideally we go for him but make it clear the wages are not negotiable from the figure it is feasible to do so & he decides to choose the better club, but it's unlikely.

vs Matip

vs Lovren

A few weeks before the end of the season one of the stats based podcasts were raving about matip aerially, saying he was up there with best in Europe.

I haven't looked into them since to see if that was valid or if so they continued in that fashion.

Stats say he's one of the best in Europe, yet we often call him 50 pence head...or is that more aimed at his headed attempts at goal?...feel like there should be a word for a 'headed attempt at goal'...from now on I'm calling them slapbangers.

I think he's a great player to be honest. Someone to build a team around. But he wants a starting place in the team and he'd ruin our wage structure.
Also we already have 5 good CB's.
I really want a 19-20 year old CB talent but he just doesn't suit us right now.
What has Matip done to deserve to be benched? Gomez is a really talented player, why stunt his development?

The thing with all our backup CBs is that they're all injury prone. This must be Matip's longest run since he's been here.

The thing with all our backup CBs is that they're all injury prone. This must be Matip's longest run since he's been here.
That's true. Then sign some U21 player. Doesn't have to be the most expensive CB in the world right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom