• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Injury updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not surprised Ox was clutching his hamstring a bit , hasn't played competitively in 12 months , bound to be rust that training won't shake off, apparently reassured people as he went off that he was fine

I'm not surprised Ox was clutching his hamstring a bit , hasn't played competitively in 12 months , bound to be rust that training won't shake off, apparently reassured people as he went off that he was fine

Yes. He was deliberately resisting the urge to sprint, just keeping himself ticking over. Onwards and upwards after this.

By the way, for some reason Derby's players appear to be targeting Hoever - they've gone through him three times now and the hapless ref has only just booked a player for the latest assault.

2:0 to us now, Camacho scores after some good work by Curtis Jones latching on on Woodburn's shot-cum-cross.

And now 3:0, Jones converted after an excellent 20+ pass sequence.

Did Ox have to deal with anything he likely wouldn't in training e.g. did anyone try and shoulder challenge/ slide tackle him at all? Or was he largely left alone? I imagine Derby would either target him (like Spurs U23s did Lallana) or leave him to it.

Did Ox have to deal with anything he likely wouldn't in training e.g. did anyone try and shoulder challenge/ slide tackle him at all? Or was he largely left alone? I imagine Derby would either target him (like Spurs U23s did Lallana) or leave him to it.

They left him to it. He was in our box more often than theirs. It was all very safety first, and quite right too.

3:1 FT, Kelleher with a really bizarre own-goal, trying to catch an over-hit cross and dropping it over the line – that marred an otherwise impressive performance from the young GK. Overall impressed with Curtis Jones, Adam Lewis and Natt Phillips (only played first 45), Woodburn got into the game more in the second half, Camacho positive, but a bit wasteful. Great to see Ox back, obviously still quite a ways to go to build up match fitness.

3:1 FT, Kelleher with a really bizarre own-goal, trying to catch an over-hit cross and dropping it over the line – that marred an otherwise impressive performance from the young GK. Overall impressed with Curtis Jones, Adam Lewis and Natt Phillips (only played first 45), Woodburn got into the game more in the second half, Camacho positive, but a bit wasteful. Great to see Ox back, obviously still quite a ways to go to build up match fitness.

Yes. Camacho strikes me as a bit of an enigma - a strangely joyless character (even when he scores his expression remains impassive), but versatile, very hard-working and sometimes very tricky. It's odd that he's trained at Melwood so often with Curtis Jones but there's not much understanding between them.

Jones and Curtis, as you say, were very good. Curtis needs a bit more speed of thought in attacking situations, but that will come.

Yes. Camacho strikes me as a bit of an enigma - a strangely joyless character (even when he scores his expression remains impassive), but versatile, very hard-working and sometimes very tricky. It's odd that he's trained at Melwood so often with Curtis Jones but there's not much understanding between them.

Jones and Curtis, as you say, were very good. Curtis needs a bit more speed of thought in attacking situations, but that will come.

Strange, I was willing to bet they were the same person! :)

I thought Camacho was the odd man out sometimes on pressing, the one who didn't make the right movement causing the press to brake down. But then he would pop up everywhere and try to do something – like you say, hard to understand what he's thinking sometimes.

Macca, Rukki, what's your feeling about Nathan Phillips..? I was very impressed by him during last year's pre-season tour over here. HOw long is he back from injury and how's he looking? What do yiz think, long term for him?

Macca, Rukki, what's your feeling about Nathan Phillips..? I was very impressed by him during last year's pre-season tour over here. HOw long is he back from injury and how's he looking? What do yiz think, long term for him?

Well, it was just first 45 minutes of football since November, I think, so can’t say much. Like Woodburn and Brewster he needs to play as much as possible; unfortunately the U23’s don’t play again until April. I thought he looked a little thinner than he did in pre-season, but otherwise was strong and covered for Hoever well. The others CBs, Johnston and Masterson also did OK.

I think he's an excellent prospect. Well worth a few games next season in the first team. Coming back now, he'll be eased in, if we can only arrange few extra games. but he's a mature and composed young CB. The thing about him: he's always right in the groove. Playing him in any game and any level, he's immediately really focused. A proper senior defender.

I don't like seeing the word 'break' in the same sentence as Ox. It makes me twitch.

Keita, dear oh dear, he looked as hard as nails in Germany.

I think he's quite positive on Keita, said he will train today and then they will assess as usual.

Another sign of how utterly shambolic the under23s league is: we don't have another game until 8 April, so AOC won't have any help there. We'll have to arrange a couple of friendlies behind closed doors.

Another sign of how utterly shambolic the under23s league is: we don't have another game until 8 April, so AOC won't have any help there. We'll have to arrange a couple of friendlies behind closed doors.

I think with the likes of Salah and Milner not being out of the international games I can see the benefit of them playing in one.

Yeah, so frustrating. There are other U23 players that desperately need games to build up match fitness after injury, like Woodburn and Nat Phillips. I heard part of the reason we have this huge break in play is because we got knocked out or didn't qualify for some kind of cup?

That's right. But it's just a badly run league - there's very little chance of a rhythm being maintained because there are often odd gaps between games regardless of cups.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is a step closer to making his eagerly-awaited Liverpool first-team return after playing in a behind closed doors friendly at Melwood against Bury yesterday and getting around an hour under his belt. Rhian Brewster also featured. (James Pearce)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom