• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Is Wenger on his way out of Arsenal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogfish

Gone to Redcafe
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has admitted it would be "interesting" to work with Florentino Perez if the former Real Madrid president returns to the Bernabeu.

Perez, who is favourite to win the elections this summer, officially presented his candidacy on Thursday, promising the Madrid fans a "spectacular project" if he succeeds.

Wenger has long been linked with a move to the Spanish giants and the Frenchman has revealed it would be a tempting offer.

"With Perez the project will be strongly interesting for every coach," he told Telefoot. Perez has made no secret of his admiration for Wenger and tried to sign him during his first spell in charge in 2003.

Wenger has always insisted he would see out his contract at the Emirates, which runs until 2011.

"In general I always go right to the end of my contract," he added.

The Gunners boss refused to reveal whether he had spoken to Perez, saying: "Allow me to remain discreet on that matter".

Real Madrid are a joke club. Wenger's "one for the future" philosophy would go down a treat there. I cant think of a manager less-suited to Real

Translated, that means:

"Allow me to dangle the possibility that I may have spoken to other clubs, cos it'll get press & help persuade the board to actually part with the cash for summer spends, as the property linked to Highbury hasnt made the money it was expected to so they have to borrow on it as opposed to having it outright as planned"

Wenger's recently said that if Arsenal don't win a trophy within the next 2 years then his strategy for Arsenal would have been a failure.

So the pressure really is on. By putting such a very specific time scale for success, I wonder if it will become an albatross around his neck in the same way the 5 year plan became Ged's.

16 May 2009:

Arsène Wenger has hit out at Arsenal's supporters, saying their negativity makes him feel as if he has 'killed someone.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go this summer

I think he encountered the equivalent of our very own Steve 'Mad Dog' Morgan at Arsenal's AGM. It's shaken the old twerp up a bit.

Without Wenger they'd fall apart. Players like Cesc and VP would follow him out of the door too.

I can't see Wenger going anywhere. Till the end of his contract where he'll become President of PSG or whatever.

It'll be a good move for the lad. Swansea are a good footballing side.

On a sidenote, I remember when he joined from Hull City, there was a sell-on clause of 20-25%. Guess we aren't making much/recouping much thus.

[quote author=Binny link=topic=33561.msg869735#msg869735 date=1242656384]

On a sidenote, I remember when he joined from Hull City, there was a sell-on clause of 20-25%. Guess we aren't making much/recouping much thus.
[/quote]

I think you've posted this in the wrong thread Mr. Binny.

[quote author=Binny link=topic=33561.msg869735#msg869735 date=1242656384]

[/quote]

Wrong thread.

Wenger is perfect for Madrid.

His philosophy of attractive positive football is what the board and fans demand.

Capello was successful - but his style of play was not in line with the traditions of the club ... so success was never going to be enough.

Ancellotti could prove to be successful, but I personally think things will never go well for an Italian manager at Madrid - not matter how successful one is.

The Spanish media is always looking to pick on Italian players/managers in the league ... and likewise goes for Spaniards in Italy.

Well, it would make life more interesting next season. Who would Arsenal replace him with? I guess Tony Adams has been crossed off their list now, ha ha...

[quote author=St.Benitez link=topic=33561.msg869121#msg869121 date=1242588016]
16 May 2009:

Arsène Wenger has hit out at Arsenal's supporters, saying their negativity makes him feel as if he has 'killed someone.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go this summer
[/quote]

Nor me. His style of play would suit RM and he must surely have more ambition and want to manage one of the top teams in Spain or Italy to test his theories & methods there ?

I wouldn't fancy the job of replacing Wenger at Arsenal. The existing team is so much Wenger's creation, that it would be quite difficult to keep it all ticking over while starting to make changes. It might also be difficult to get the loyalty of the dressing room.

I think Wenger has been rather let down by his players. Everyone agrees that his squad is packed with talent and flair, and yet they haven't been doing it for him on the pitch. Against United on Saturday, Arsenal dominated possession. The final statistic was that United had 0 shots on target in the whole match. Yet nobody in the Arsenal team, including Fabregas, could come up with a decent final ball and a scoring attempt.

Wenger wont go.

Id love him to. Well, part of me would love him to. Not because i doubt he is capable of winning another trophy, im just bored. Im bored of his excuses, im bored of his silly signings, im bored of the pass pass pass pass, im bored of his players being twats, im bored of the "we lacked sharpeness but we have the potential"

I've said this so many times this season, but the "Arsenal will collapse" argument is ridiculous. The people saying this are the same people saying Wengers lost the plot and questioning his quality because of the lack of trophies. These people say our top players will leave but these people also say our top players are sh1t and they bottle it when it really matters. The 2 sides dont add up

I don't think it is as hard a job as some make out. I understand the point some make regarding the club going into freefall when/if Wenger leaves but they have the making of a very good side they need maybe a couple of older experienced players to push the team on again.

[quote author=nornirongooner link=topic=33561.msg869811#msg869811 date=1242662956]
Wenger wont go.

Id love him to. Well, part of me would love him to. Not because i doubt he is capable of winning another trophy, im just bored. Im bored of his excuses, im bored of his silly signings, im bored of the pass pass pass pass, im bored of his players being twats, im bored of the "we lacked sharpeness but we have the potential"

I've said this so many times this season, but the "Arsenal will collapse" argument is ridiculous. The people saying this are the same people saying Wengers lost the plot and questioning his quality because of the lack of trophies. These people say our top players will leave but these people also say our top players are sh1t and they bottle it when it really matters. The 2 sides dont add up
[/quote]

I don't think you'll collapse but I do think you could be set for a spell outside the CL places. Much will depend on which players you ship out and whether the money is available to replace them adequately.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=33561.msg869825#msg869825 date=1242663964]
[quote author=nornirongooner link=topic=33561.msg869811#msg869811 date=1242662956]
Wenger wont go.

[/quote]

I don't think you'll collapse but I do think you could be set for a spell outside the CL places. Much will depend on which players you ship out and whether the money is available to replace them adequately.
[/quote]

I dont believe that JJ, if they hired a decent manager and gave him some backing they would be fine for the CL.

Don't believe for one second that Arsenal can't spend big in the transfer market; they can and they have done to protect their position and in this league money talks.

[quote author=rebel23 link=topic=33561.msg869826#msg869826 date=1242664097]
Wenger wont go.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I dont believe that JJ, if they hired a decent manager and gave him some backing they would be fine for the CL.

Don't believe for one second that Arsenal can't spend big in the transfer market; they can and they have done to protect their position and in this league money talks.

[/quote]

Yeah I have to agree with Rebel. They had an horrendous injury list this season but lacked big men in a number of positions too - Wenger's fault for not correcting those obvious weaknesses and persisting with his belief in youth - as if Denilson could replace Flamini, as if.

If Arsenal were to bring in a top manager not afraid to draft in some big names they would soon be a force to be reckoned with again. They are just maybe 3 big transfers away from that.

Wenger wont go.

[/quote]

If he did go, who would you want to replace him?

[quote author=rebel23 link=topic=33561.msg869826#msg869826 date=1242664097]
Wenger wont go.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The bolded bit would be crucial (as I said in my own post). The Arsenal board has run a very tight ship over the years and I've no doubt they could find a lot of money. The question is whether they would release it to a new manager or whether they still need it to pay off ongoing stadium debts.

Don't underestimate, either, the difficulty of a new manager - however good in his own right - taking over from someone who's been there as long, and who would therefore cast as big a shadow over the club, as Wenger. Not every club finds a Paisley to take over from their Shankly.

Guilleme Ballague's view for what it's worth..............

Wenger - Madrid talks already underway

Florentino Perez, the clear favourite to become Real Madrid president in the summer, has set the wheels in motion to bring Arsene Wenger to the Bernabeu. Meetings have already taken place that confirm the interest of the Spanish club, the curiosity (at the very least) of the Arsenal boss and the deteriorating relationship between the French coach and his current employers.

And, despite the fact that Wenger came close to joining Real Madrid in 2003 and 2006; in the words of a source close to Wenger: "never before has it seemed more possible."

According to sources in France, Jorge Valdano - the man to whom Florentino Perez has delegated the responsibility for negotiating with the next coach of Madrid - held at least two meetings in Paris last Tuesday: one in relation to Franck Ribery, the other with Arsene Wenger`s agent, the Armenian Serge K.

An alternative source claims that Wenger has spoken personally with Florentino Perez last week, possibly by telephone: with further conversations set to take place in the next couple of days. Following these initial conversations, Florentino Perez has come to the conclusion that Arsene Wenger is ready to join Real Madrid.

Wenger, speaking yesterday on the French television programme Telefoot, broadcast by the French channel TF1 with whom the Arsenal coach works as a pundit, said: "With Florentino Pérez in charge, the project he has put forward would be interesting for any coach.â€

The timing of these comments is no accident. The British press had earlier that same day been speculating that there was discontent over the scarcity of Wenger`s transfer budget: with a net total of €15 million suggested. That figure could increase with the sale of Adebayor, but remains more appropriate for a mid-table outfit – and insufficient for a club demanding a title challenge. Wenger was promised last season that he would have greater spending power at his disposal, but this money has not been seen.

For years, Arsene Wenger has been promised a level of funding that has never materialised, and at last Friday`s press conference – three days after the agent`s meeting with Valdano and the day after he was openly criticised by a group of shareholders for a fourth consecutive season without a trophy – a frustrated Wenger said: “You sit here, you are in the last four in Europe, and every day you feel you have killed someone. It is unbelievable. If you do not take a distance with it, you think: `What kind of world do we live in?` We lose against Man United who have 10 times more resources, it`s not a shame.â€

Furthermore, the high profile dispute between major shareholders Alisher Usmanov and Stan Kroenke is destabilising a club that has always been a haven of tranquility in the football world. It has frequently been reported that Wenger`s current contract runs out in 2011, but the remainder of that contract takes the form of a rolling deal, with clauses enabling him to opt out sooner: “I always go to the end of my contract.... usually." said Wenger on TF1.

Florentino`s inner circle knows that there has never been a better time to make their move. They believe that Arsenal will come to regret their handling of Wenger and that the London club`s possible offer of an increased transfer budget and a new contract will be too little too late. Even though he has turned them down twice in the past, Wenger has never hid his admiration for Real Madrid: “I grew up believing that it is the greatest club in the world,†he told AS three years ago. Florentino Perez will step up his efforts to sign Wenger from today, now that the Premier league has been decided.

In order to be convinced, Wenger will need to know that he will be given the opportunity to hand pick the rest of his technical staff at the Bernabeu; that he will be able to instill his own philosophy at all levels of the club beyond the first team; that the likes of Perez, Valdano and Zidane are there to help, not hinder. The amount of money available to him will be of lesser importance to him – he`s never had very much to work with – what really interests him is an opportunity to reproduce a system that has brought him so much success at Arsenal: which is exactly what Florentino Perez wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom