• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jamal Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great defender but below average attacker?

Both don't cross much, like to dribble, athletic and good at one-on-one defending. AWB's tackling numbers are a cut above, of course.

Crosses per game: Lewis 0.4, Wan-Bissaka 0.4, Robbo 1.1, Trent 2.1
Dribbles per game: Lewis 1.2, Wan-Bissaka 1.5, Robbo 0.6, Trent 0.6
Tackles per game: Lewis 1.8, Wan-Bissaka 3.7 (!), Robbo 1.5, Trent 1.4
Dribbled past per game: Lewis 0.5, Wan-Bissaka 0.6, Robbo 0.9, Trent 1.1

I was taking this rumour with an industrial sized pinch of salt; Reddy, Maddock ... what do they know. But it seems they may be on to something as it has now been confirmed :

[bcolor=#ffffff]
Has to be true now[emoji1474]

If we don't yet trust any of our youth at LB (our own Lewis) then I think this is a good move. He won't be shocked by his opponents, i expect that he'd be left to learn the system for 3-4 months with any appearances exceptional reasons only (or cups) and then later in the year we might rotate a bit more, or start giving Robbo more 60 min games where possible.

Looks a bargain in today's market.

Great news I think. Robbo can get more rests, we can keep finding quality in those games where breaks are essential. Hope it happens.

Ps yes I am excited by the idea of an actual transfer. Who has the marshmallows??

If we don't yet trust any of our youth at LB (our own Lewis) then I think this is a good move. He won't be shocked by his opponents, i expect that he'd be left to learn the system for 3-4 months with any appearances exceptional reasons only (or cups) and then later in the year we might rotate a bit more, or start giving Robbo more 60 min games where possible.

Looks a bargain in today's market.
I don't think it's about trust mate. I think they see his versatility as someone who could even cover a left midfield slot of needed. Got a great pair of lungs on him. Possibly even take over from Milner in the future once he hangs his boots up.

I don't think it's about trust mate. I think they see his versatility as someone who could even cover a left midfield slot of needed. Got a great pair of lungs on him. Possibly even take over from Milner in the future once he hangs his boots up.
Say what now?

Jamal Lewis could play in a midfield 3 on the left if needed. He's got the qualities to.

What are you on about; Robbo is a superb crosser. That was a quality that really stood out even in his first few games for us while the rest of his game was still not quite up to scratch.

He’s crosses has been hit and miss so many times. I distinctly remember Klopp talking about how poor his crossing was in a press conference after a game.

tpharug10tx21.jpg

That was last season; this time around they both bested their tallies by 1 with Trent on 13 and Robbo 12. Remarkable the pair of them! Lewis has quite a bit of learning and catching up to do with 0 assists in the EPL this season and 4 in the Championship last year.

Completely unfair to compare him against two full backs in a team completely set up for them to be an attacking outlet.

He’s crosses has been hit and miss so many times. I distinctly remember Klopp talking about how poor his crossing was in a press conference after a game.

Fuck that, Robbo is easily the best LB at crossing the ball in the league.

The only other LB who comes close is Mendy, and that's when he's fit.

Not every full back is fucking De Bruyne and can ping it from seemingly any angle with precise pace and accuracy.

From what I've seen yes, but like you say he doesn't get to it that often because Norwich often wind up playing deep.
What I like about him is that he's a runner, I mean literally.

"In his younger years the Norwich full-back was a talented runner, leaving rivals behind in the 800m and cross country.

At one stage he raced for England Schools and was ranked in the top five in the country over 800m, and there's no question his speed across the ground is a huge feature of his game."
Source:
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...-northern-ireland-international-36726603.html

Here's the obligatory YouTube compilation (with crosses):

Decent compilation. No doubt he can cross - there were some crackers in there (pace and bend).

No sure about how relevant 800m pace is though (now if he had great 10-20m pace) ,.. what's he going to do, two laps of the pitch leaving them in his wake ;)

Decent compilation. No doubt he can cross - there were some crackers in there (pace and bend).

No sure about how relevant 800m pace is though (now if he had great 10-20m pace) ,.. what's he going to do, two laps of the pitch leaving them in his wake ;)

Haha, his athletics background shows that he has a natural ability to play the high pressing game.
His stamina must be up there with Milner. Maybe even better.

That was in his first season I think and I do remember he couldn't hit a barn door in that game. But that was an isolated case – and Klopp brought it up half-jokingly precisely because he knew Robbo is normally an excellent crosser.

Completely unfair to compare him against two full backs in a team completely set up for them to be an attacking outlet.

You're confusing cause and effect. We are set up for them to be an attacking outlet precisely because that's their strength. It would make no sense to design our game plan around full-backs crossing the ball unless they WERE excellent crossers in the first place.

Last edited:
If we get him for 10m, it will be another smart piece of business.

He's young and experienced, and would do a much better job up against a pacey winger than Jimmy Milner.

He can also cross a ball and has a similar engine to Robbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom