• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jamal Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.
bocojaLFC

568 points·18 hours ago

if this happens our left/right backs options will be from England (TAA), Scotland (Robbo), Wales (Neco) and Northern Ireland (Lewis), that's cool

PL Champions, Champions of Europe, World Club Cup Champions whatever - 8 mill quid, all right?
Pitiful stuff.

Latest Athletic article about Jamal Lewis has been posted in the Athletic thread

Norwich's 20 million valuation is unrealistic.

Southampton and Tottenham have valued Walker-Peters at 12 million. So we should point to that as the benchmark for a young full back with a year's experience in the PL. The Maddison comparison is pointless - totally different player, and far more valuable.

Norwich's 20 million valuation is unrealistic.

Southampton and Tottenham have valued Walker-Peters at 12 million. So we should point to that as the benchmark for a young full back with a year's experience in the PL. The Maddison comparison is pointless - totally different player, and far more valuable.
I agree mate but at the end of the day, Norwich hold all the cards. Kid is contracted till 2023, if we won't pay their valuation someone else will gladly.

Agreed, they have all the rights to demand what they want for him, but I doubt they'd generate a major bidding war for someone like Lewis, who's hardly some blue chip prospect. The deal will probably get done unless Norwich are completely adamant. I don't think we'll go beyond 12 million though.

Norwich are just milking us. They already have a replacement, Sam Mccallum a young talented left back.

Last edited:
Norwich are just milking us. They already a replacement, Sam Mccallum a young talented left back.

Just like we milked Zenit for Lovren, and milked Bournemouth to the tune of £40mil for Brad Smith, Ibe and Solanke.

Latest from James Pearce
53d6db17e4210a360a2c28ff99acceba.jpg

Any footballer should be desperate to get away from that dreadful kit and Delia the drunk.

We are pathetic.
Norwich fans are pissed off at us lowballing them:

https://forum.pinkun.com/index.php?/topic/138882-jamal-lewis-to-liverpool/#comments

norfolkngood

Klopp is No Mug
if he is after Lewis that is because he sees him as a good player
Some Managers / Head coaches see different players playing in Different positions
it would not Surprise me to see Robertson pushed a little higher up in some games or if needed
Also it might be the other way round he might see Lewis as a Left midfielder ??
Lewis will become a better player under klopp

Norwich fans are pissed off at us lowballing them:

https://forum.pinkun.com/index.php?/topic/138882-jamal-lewis-to-liverpool/#comments

norfolkngood

Klopp is No Mug
if he is after Lewis that is because he sees him as a good player
Some Managers / Head coaches see different players playing in Different positions
it would not Surprise me to see Robertson pushed a little higher up in some games or if needed
Also it might be the other way round he might see Lewis as a Left midfielder ??
Lewis will become a better player under klopp

We have had hundreds of clubs do it to us over the decades.

I think the problem is that we're looking for cover for one of the best left backs in the world. That means we're looking for someone good enough to provide cover, but who won't play much (when WILL he play? I mean a run of games? Unless Robertson gets injured, he surely won't be budged), and so it makes no financial sense, especially in the current unstable climate, to pay much.

Norwich don't hold ALL the cards. They've been hit financially, like all the clubs, but that's damaged them far more than it has the top clubs, and they've now been further damaged by relegation. So they need money, and can't act like some self-sufficient club able to keep all of its squad intact no matter what. And apparently the player doesn't want to play for them any more. That's not such a position of strength.

But I want us to strengthen in other areas, with players who'll play more often than a back-up LB, no matter how talented and patient he might be, so I'm with FSG on this - don't pay much at all.

If we're protecting a lead, Lewis might be the perfect option to sub on for Mane considering that he can play further forward as well.

Robertson is 26. The ideal scenario is that he stays fit and in form until at least he's thirty. So four more years. Lewis is 22. In this scenario, he won't hang around for four years as a stand-in, now that he already feels like he's a first team player. So maybe out of a mixture of hope and patience, he'll come here and fight for, say, two seasons before his agent tells him it's time he goes elsewhere to become a first choice LB. That's okay - his sell-on worth ought to get us about twice as much as we paid for him. Now that leaves us with about two more years of Robertson at the peak of his powers. That should be the time when we go for someone about the same age as Lewis now, 22, but with the view to gradually groom him as Robertson's successor. So that player we should really invest in.

Obviously all kinds of things can happen to wreck that sequence of events, but I think the most likely scenario would be to pay low for Lewis, get about two mutually beneficial years out of him, as he gets great coaching and we get a few games, and then sell him on for a big profit and really go for Robertson's most likely replacement.

Robertson is 26. The ideal scenario is that he stays fit and in form until at least he's thirty. So four more years. Lewis is 22. In this scenario, he won't hang around for four years as a stand-in, now that he already feels like he's a first team player. So maybe out of a mixture of hope and patience, he'll come here and fight for, say, two seasons before his agent tells him it's time he goes elsewhere to become a first choice LB. That's okay - his sell-on worth ought to get us about twice as much as we paid for him. Now that leaves us with about two more years of Robertson at the peak of his powers. That should be the time when we go for someone about the same age as Lewis now, 22, but with the view to gradually groom him as Robertson's successor. So that player we should really invest in.

Obviously all kinds of things can happen to wreck that sequence of events, but I think the most likely scenario would be to pay low for Lewis, get about two mutually beneficial years out of him, as he gets great coaching and we get a few games, and then sell him on for a big profit and really go for Robertson's most likely replacement.
That's all assuming Robbo stays at this level and that Lewis doesn't improve in leaps and bounds - he looks to have the raw talent, maybe Klopp can hone it.

That's all assuming Robbo stays at this level and that Lewis doesn't improve in leaps and bounds

Obviously. As I said, there are all kinds of things that can change the scenario. I was talking about the most likely one. Coming and being an effective stand-in for a couple of years before his ambition makes him move on - fine. Coming and doing so well that he overtakes Robbo - less likely, surely, but even better, because we'd get about eight great years out of him. But I'd argue that the transfer team doesn't look to buy on the assumption that one of the best players in his position might suddenly decline in form when he should be reaching his peak; I'd suggest they'd operate more in terms of the scenario I outlined above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom