• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Let's talk about Curtis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he better than Pedri? No
Bellingham? No
Ramsey? No
Wirtz? No
Musiala? No
Gravenberch? No
Gavi? No
Camavinga? No

He's not even the best young midfielder in the club. Bajetic is better.

And they're all younger than him.

So is he good enough to command a starting place at LFC? Hell no.
Squad player?
Sure why not. 6-7th option tops.

There's talk of us spending £40 to 50m on Gallagher and he's no way that much better than Jones (Or Elliott)

I've been a big critic of Jones but I'd rather keep that sort of money and play Jones than spend it on Gallagher.

Jones needs game time. If we won't give that to him than send him out on loan

Is he better than Pedri? No
Bellingham? No
Ramsey? No
Wirtz? No
Musiala? No
Gravenberch? No
Gavi? No
Camavinga? No

He's not even the best young midfielder in the club. Bajetic is better.

And they're all younger than him.

So is he good enough to command a starting place at LFC? Hell no.
Squad player?
Sure why not. 6-7th option tops.
But much closer to home, he’s not worse than Mount or Gallagher, I’d say

But much closer to home, he’s not worse than Mount or Gallagher, I’d say
They're both better than him too. You're kidding me about Mount right?
I mean I don't want him but they're not on the same level.

There's talk of us spending £40 to 50m on Gallagher and he's no way that much better than Jones (Or Elliott)

I've been a big critic of Jones but I'd rather keep that sort of money and play Jones than spend it on Gallagher.

Jones needs game time. If we won't give that to him than send him out on loan
I still think we need to be looking at that type of talent.

Last edited:
I love Jordan Henderson but he’s definitely a technically limited player. If you were making up his stats for a football manager game you’d give him 6’s and 7’s for most things except the physical and mental attributes where you’d break out the 9’s.

This is where the likes of Gallagher fit in, we need our 2 year old Labrador in midfield to help Trent and the high line amongst other things.

I love Jordan Henderson but he’s definitely a technically limited player. If you were making up his stats for a football manager game you’d give him 6’s and 7’s for most things except the physical and mental attributes where you’d break out the 9’s.

This is where the likes of Gallagher fit in, we need our 2 year old Labrador in midfield to help Trent and the high line amongst other things.

This is the argument in favor of Gallagher for me as well. Absolutely not to be the centrepiece but to chase down and hunt every fucker wearing a different shirt for the audacity of touching the ball. And to maybe pitch in the odd goal or assist too.

Thought it was notable that Frank deployed him further forward to get on Modric and Kroos yesterday.

This is the argument in favor of Gallagher for me as well. Absolutely not to be the centrepiece but to chase down and hunt every fucker wearing a different shirt for the audacity of touching the ball. And to maybe pitch in the odd goal or assist too.

Thought it was notable that Frank deployed him further forward to get on Modric and Kroos yesterday.

yea i vaguely recall us doing that with Henderson before too, it’s the old Rafa trick of forcing an error or turnover close to the opposition goal to create a chance

how nice would it be to have relentless pressing back on the menu

Is he worth the money though? Watching him against Real, gave me a lot of "Everton will pay 50 million for him" player vibes. Can't we get better quality with a bit of gold dust in his feet for the money with decent scouting?

I understand the Hendo comparisons but a young Hendo was not that bad technically, he could receive and move the ball quickly, play some cute passes, and was tactically switched on at all times. He was not just a yard dog.

If you draw a line with one end being Joey Barton and the other end Gerrard, you would place a young Hendo on the line much more closer to Gerrard than Barton. Gallagher to me seems farther away from Gerrard as Hendo was on that line. Again, I am not a great judge of potential, nor have I watched a lot of Gallagher.

Last edited:
Same, my knowledge of Gallagher is based on a couple of matches from his loan last season.

Imo we’re sniffing around Chelsea for a bargain but it’ll obviously come to nothing when we see the price tags.

Hi All,

its been a long time, but on this matter of Curtis Jones, well to me he really is a generational talent that has not reached his potential due to injuries. Only two seasons ago he was the best midfielder in a horrible pandemic season, and as I have said before every time we have taken him off we ended up losing the game because we could not keep the damn ball.

It's rare in my experience to find a 6ft 1inch guy who has such mastery of the ball at his feet, I am not surprised we are all discussing him again, as it appears that when he is not available he just gets abused, and is not even afforded game time to get some of his form back. That game time I refer to is so small in comparison to say what Jota gets when coming back from injury to find some form. I want us to stick with him for the rest of the season, opposition players are scared to get too close to him when he has the ball. With him and Trent in midfield its amazing to watch for me. What would also be great is if we could use the the same tactics as we have been in the last two games but maybe at some point when Thiago is fit - use him in Fabinho's role, lets face it - he was prior to his latest injury doing all the tackling and running for the midfield (yes what a a fucking waste) - but imagine having these ballers in midfield with the likes of:

• Curtis,
  • Bajcetic
  • Thiago
  • and Trent in his inverted role coming into themidfield.
All of those players have great ball control, and varying degrees of vision and passing ability which I would rate at least at a grade of B+.

Also - its been mentioned that the England age group that Curtis plays for - all the players in that team regard him as the best player. We would be fools and so would Klopp be if his plans were to turn him into a Gini, it would be a waste of someone who has the ability to carry that ball forward from midfield into attacking areas.

Fuck all of you who think he his shit. I love the lad, I might even join Twitter one day to support his cause and give shit to those c*nts that keep abusing him.

Go CURTIS !!! GO LAD !!!

Jones is a tier or two below Elliott and that is not a bad place to be. Plenty of very good to great PL players were in the Jones's tier or below that when they were 18-20.

That would be fine if Jones were 18-20, he's not, he's 22. Bizarre as it sounds we actually have too many midfielders, the problem is the good ones aren't fit enough and the fit ones aren't good enough.

Jones doesn't get enough games to tell us conclusively whether he's good enough. Same with Carvahlo. Both of them should either go on loan or be promoted. We get nothing from keeping them in limbo playing 5 games a season.

They're both better than him too. You're kidding me about Mount right?
I mean I don't want him but they're not on the same level.
I’m not kidding you at all having watched both, Jones is no worse than both. Sorry.

Last edited:
Mount is more consistent in his attacking abilities. Of course, if Jones actually got a decent run, maybe he'll be able to put up numbers too. He seems to get on the acoresheet for England with relative consistency

Hi All,

its been a long time, but on this matter of Curtis Jones, well to me he really is a generational talent that has not reached his potential due to injuries. Only two seasons ago he was the best midfielder in a horrible pandemic season, and as I have said before every time we have taken him off we ended up losing the game because we could not keep the damn ball.

It's rare in my experience to find a 6ft 1inch guy who has such mastery of the ball at his feet, I am not surprised we are all discussing him again, as it appears that when he is not available he just gets abused, and is not even afforded game time to get some of his form back. That game time I refer to is so small in comparison to say what Jota gets when coming back from injury to find some form. I want us to stick with him for the rest of the season, opposition players are scared to get too close to him when he has the ball. With him and Trent in midfield its amazing to watch for me. What would also be great is if we could use the the same tactics as we have been in the last two games but maybe at some point when Thiago is fit - use him in Fabinho's role, lets face it - he was prior to his latest injury doing all the tackling and running for the midfield (yes what a a fucking waste) - but imagine having these ballers in midfield with the likes of:

• Curtis,
  • Bajcetic
  • Thiago
  • and Trent in his inverted role coming into themidfield.
All of those players have great ball control, and varying degrees of vision and passing ability which I would rate at least at a grade of B+.

Also - its been mentioned that the England age group that Curtis plays for - all the players in that team regard him as the best player. We would be fools and so would Klopp be if his plans were to turn him into a Gini, it would be a waste of someone who has the ability to carry that ball forward from midfield into attacking areas.

Fuck all of you who think he his shit. I love the lad, I might even join Twitter one day to support his cause and give shit to those c*nts that keep abusing him.

Go CURTIS !!! GO LAD !!!
2 good games and your sticking your head out now. Where were you when he had piss poor performances? What about when he is injured again and faces another 4 month lay off? What are you going to say then? He has technical ability but also poor decision making skills at time. Check out André from Fluminese in Brazil, and that's the skill level we need
I have no huge issues with him staying, as long we get 3 decent MFs.

Mount is more consistent in his attacking abilities. Of course, if Jones actually got a decent run, maybe he'll be able to put up numbers too. He seems to get on the acoresheet for England with relative consistency

Honestly, I don't know where we're going with this thread?
During our most successful periods in the last 30 years our midfield has had players like:
Barnes, Redknapp, Hamann, McAllister, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Gini, Hendo and Fabs.
Is Curtis really on that level?

During our most successful periods in the last 30 years our midfield has had players like:
Barnes, Redknapp, Hamann, McAllister, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Gini, Hendo and Fabs.

It's also had Biscans, Murphys, milners as back ups.

If you need to replace the entire midfield, why would you countenance selling a good back up that still has some up side?

It's also had Biscans, Murphys, milners as back ups.

If you need to replace the entire midfield, why would you countenance selling a good back up that still has some up side?
I have nothing against him being a back up. But I'm talking 5th, 6th choice backup.

Is Gallagher?

Never rated Curtis.
Never wanted him.
Never heard an opposition fan fear or admire him. In fact almost never hear his teammates speak fondly of him.

But he has done pretty well since coming back into the side. Let's wait and see before calling him generational...

Never rated Curtis.
Never wanted him.
Never heard an opposition fan fear or admire him. In fact almost never hear his teammates speak fondly of him.

But he has done pretty well since coming back into the side. Let's wait and see before calling him generational...
They're calling him "generational"?!

Is he worth the money though? Watching him against Real, gave me a lot of "Everton will pay 50 million for him" player vibes. Can't we get better quality with a bit of gold dust in his feet for the money with decent scouting?

I understand the Hendo comparisons but a young Hendo was not that bad technically, he could receive and move the ball quickly, play some cute passes, and was tactically switched on at all times. He was not just a yard dog.

If you draw a line with one end being Joey Barton and the other end Gerrard, you would place a young Hendo on the line much more closer to Gerrard than Barton. Gallagher to me seems farther away from Gerrard as Hendo was on that line. Again, I am not a great judge of potential, nor have I watched a lot of Gallagher.

I haven't watched much Chelsea this season but Gallagher was at the heart of everything good with Palace last year. Helped make Vieira look like a rising manager.

I haven't watched much Chelsea this season but Gallagher was at the heart of everything good with Palace last year. Helped make Vieira look like a rising manager.

I haven't watched much of Gallagher but not that impressed with what I saw. His youtube compilations are also a bit underwhelming. I am not sure if he has the necessary technique to play effectively against CL level midfielders. Hendo is not the greatest technician but appears a level above Gallagher in that aspect. Again, mine is based on limited viewing and I don't consider myself the greatest judge of potential. I feel we can do a lot better than spend 30-50 million on him.

I have nothing against him being a back up. But I'm talking 5th, 6th choice backup.

Yep. And if he's fine with that, or rates himself to get into the discussion in a more meaningful way, grand. We're going to buy a bunch of midfielders, which means not all of them are going to work out. In fact, if our hit rate for midfielders stays the same, maybe one of them will work out. We don't need to make another hole to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom