• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LFC Loan Watch 2023-24

Tyler Morton dreamt as a boy of playing like his idols Steven Gerrard and Xabi Alonso... now the Liverpool loanee is his own man at Hull as they push for Premier League promotion

When Hull won at Sunderland last Friday night, it wasn’t just Tigers fans going into a frenzy on social media.

Those of a black and amber persuasion were joined by Liverpool supporters, toasting to a goal made on Merseyside.

From one Liverpool loanee to another, Tyler Morton teeing up Fabio Carvalho, Hull moved back into the play-off picture with a fine away win.

Hull fans can add Jurgen Klopp to their Christmas card list and likewise, Reds supporters can be thankful for Tigers boss Liam Rosenior.

The Liverpool pair are leading Hull’s charge to the Premier League. There are more, of course, from dazzling winger Jaden Philogene to Manchester City loanee Liam Delap and local lad Jacob Greaves.

But the duo have made Hull now Liverpool fans’ favourite Championship side.

Football purists should enjoy what Hull are doing regardless of that. Highly-rated coach Rosenior has assembled a forward-thinking side under the ownership of ‘Turkish Simon Cowell’ Acun Ilicali and it seems like the perfect breeding ground for young talents.

While Carvalho is a recent addition, he joined earlier this month after spending the first half of the season largely sat on RB Leipzig’s bench, Morton has been at the heart of everything good for Rosenior’s men this season.

After spending last season on loan at Blackburn, who missed out on the play-offs on goal difference alone, Morton has improved under Rosenior and earned himself an England Under 21 call up, a moment which saw the youngster come full circle in his fledgling career.

He turned down Everton aged seven to join Liverpool and has dreamed ever since about scoring at Goodison Park.
It didn’t come in a Reds shirt but it was still one of Morton’s proudest moments, not just his home Under 21s debut but his first goal in professional football.

‘That was one of my proudest moments yet,’ Morton tells Mail Sport. ‘I don’t really get nervous before games but I was scared before this one. I got in my own head about it, it was a big opportunity. It was lovely to play at Everton, where all my family and friends could make it.

‘I remember my first couple of training sessions with Liverpool. I was quite a shy lad. But you have to grow a personality even at that age to make it in football. I grew into myself quickly. I found a real love for footie.

‘I used to go to the park and practice my pinging with my dad, I loved Xabi Alonso so I tried to copy him. I had trials at both Everton and Liverpool - different teams each night. Nothing against Everton, but the feeling of joining Liverpool was perfect. They were the ones for me.

‘Stevie Gerrard was my idol but I loved watching Xabi play, he was just different class. Something new and different at the time. The Premier League didn’t have many Spanish midfielders who absolutely ran the game. It was more physical then, he was technical.’

The Wallasey-born midfielder made his Liverpool debut in the Premier League against Arsenal in 2021, the start of a special run of games that saw him play in the Champions League against Porto and AC Milan at the San Siro.

After idolising Gerrard and Alonso, the 21-year-old says he does not style his game on players as much now he’s a professional - but still picks up bits from experienced midfielders whether that’s at Liverpool, Blackburn or Hull.

‘It’s an easy thing to say I base my game on people, I don’t try to be anyone else on the pitch,’ he says.

‘I pick up bits and learn how they move off the ball but it’s easier said than done to do a Thiago (Alcantara) turn in a game or shoot from distance like Gerrard!

‘But it syncs into my brain when I train with them and pick up their movement. Thiago is always in the right place - it’s second to none. Xabi just stuck out to me. He was different from everyone else. You watch the best players and he was the best.’

Morton spent Wednesday night watching some of his best mates, like Jarell Quansah who he has trained with since the age of seven, Conor Bradley, and Harvey Elliott, one of his closest friends, play for boyhood club Liverpool in a cup semi-final.

It fills him with hope that he will one day become a mainstay in Klopp’s midfield - but for now he is fully focused on the task at hand with Hull. ‘I watch every game,’ he says. ‘They’re my mates at the end of the day. Harv’s one of my best mates, a great guy.

‘Conor has turned into a real top player. Everyone at the academy knew he would. Jarell as well, he’s been absolutely brilliant - I’ve grown up with him and trained with him since I was six or seven. Lovely to see them do well and represent the club that I love and support.

‘But these loans have really developed me. It’s amazing. To pick up these experiences and pick up different styles. Right now I’m feeling really good about myself because of coming out of my comfort zone - I’ve moved here with my girlfriend which has made it much easier.

‘The lads here are fantastic - it’s a really special group. As soon as you walk into the training ground you can see it’s a tight-knit group and that’s been brilliant for my development. I’ve learnt a lot of skills aside from being a player.

‘I want to be a leader one day. That’s starting here at Hull. I want to lead, talk and command.

'If you want to be pivotal to any team you’ve got to lead, whether that’s on the ball or verbally. The gaffer is pushing me to be both.’

Rosenior is the topic that Morton keeps returning to.
His coaching career is still young but the 39-year-old has won plaudits in Brighton’s setup, before being the brains of Wayne Rooney’s Derby and now flourishing at Hull, where he recently signed a new three-year deal.

‘He gets it right with everyone,’ says Morton.

‘He develops players but he develops people as well. It’s really nice to be coached by him - I’m getting better every day because of him. He gives me a bit of freedom but also respects family time.

‘I am loving every minute at Hull and I hope the fans know they are a part of the success, there’s no better feeling than hearing them singing my name. I missed out on the play-offs on goal difference last year so getting into them is personal for me, it really hurt, I want to put it right.’

Looks like we're sending Bobby Clark out on loan too.

Liverpool could sanction a loan deal for Bobby Clark to leave the club before Thursday's transfer deadline - with several English Football League clubs interested in signing the midfielder until the end of the season.​

renderTimingPixel.png

liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/...

Looks like we're sending Bobby Clark out on loan too.

Liverpool could sanction a loan deal for Bobby Clark to leave the club before Thursday's transfer deadline - with several English Football League clubs interested in signing the midfielder until the end of the season.​

renderTimingPixel.png

liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/...
Makes sense with players returning from injury / close to returning. He would have been unlikely to see any more 1st team game time.

Is the underlying issue that he’s got known as “abitshititis”?

Well… that explains why we haven’t seen him near the first team.

Elsewhere, Jaros made his debut for Sturm Graz (2nd place) and helped them a 1-1 draw away vs. leaders RB Salzburg.

What do you do when your team is still fighting on three fronts in the spring - in the Bundesliga, the UEFA Europa Conference League and the ÖFB Cup - and your on-loan starting goalkeeper suffers an unfortunate injury? In the case of SK Sturm Graz the answer is, bring in another loan keeper! Vítězslav “Vit” Jaroš has arrived from English Premier League heavyweights Liverpool and is set to feature between the sticks for Sturm until the end of the season, so The Other Bundesliga’s Tom Middler took the chance to get to know the young Czech shot-stopper as he gets settled in Graz.

TM: Firstly Vítězslav, welcome to Austria! How have your first few weeks been with your new team, are you feeling comfortable at Sturm already?

VJ: I’m happy with the training and the friendly games that we’ve had so far, and I think personally I’ve done quite well. The group at SK Sturm is really, really good. The guys always start conversations with you when they see that you’re new, and that helps you settle in, so I already feel like I’ve been here much longer than I actually have. The whole team are used to playing with new goalkeepers as well, so I think that makes it a bit easier.

It sounds like it has started off well then! Let’s go back to the very early days of the journey that brought you here. Where did your football career begin?

Well, there was a football pitch right behind my garden, so I’d go on there with my dad and kick some balls about. I always wanted to play in goal! When I was about five or six he took me to play for my hometown club 1. FK Příbram, and then when I was ten I went on to a bigger club, Slavia Praha. I was just trying to enjoy it, but we played lots of tournaments and I kept winning “Best Goalkeeper”, so from there things really got moving.

They did indeed, because not long later, you were a Czechia junior international, and you had been invited for a trial at Liverpool. The first day in England must have been pretty special, surely?

It was exciting, and it was quite scary at the same time, going abroad to one of the biggest clubs in football, but it was definitely one of the best things that could have happened to me! You’re training, learning English, getting qualifications and playing matches all the time. The gap between the Premier League and the Czech league at academy level is unbelievable; there are so many staff, kit men, groundskeepers, and every team from U-16 upwards has their own pitch, which is really good.

You won the 2019 FA Youth Cup in your time with the Liverpool Academy. That’s just about the biggest thing a youth player can win in the UK, isn’t it?

Yeah, it’s probably the biggest! If you look at the last few years, Manchester United hosted it at Old Trafford when they were in the final, and there were 80,000 people at the stadium to watch a U-18 game. Our win was massive for us, and really enjoyable with the tight-knit group that we had at the time. That was one of the most enjoyable seasons I’ve ever had. There was no stress, it was just footy school, and winning games!

Alisson Becker is the number one goalkeeper at Liverpool, and he’s one of the world’s best. Can you learn a lot from being around someone like him?

I think you’d be stupid not to try and learn from him! He’s a really kind person, always trying to give tips and talk to you if you need a bit of guidance. It’s just really good to work with him and the rest of the group. The training is really complex so you work on everything and improve in all areas. In the modern game you need to be able to use your feet, be good at clearing up, and still do the basics like collecting crosses, making saves and stopping the ball going into the net. I’d say my distribution is one of my strengths, and it’s something that I enjoy as well, if I miss one pass I’ll be fuming with myself! I’m trying to be a perfectionist with my feet, but an all-rounder as well.

Obviously, the boss, Jürgen Klopp, is a legendary football coach. What’s it like to work with him, and how much input did he have in your choice of coming to SK Sturm?

I see him in training on a daily basis of course. Most of the time you just say “good morning” and carry on with what you’re doing, but if you ever need advice, his door is always open and you can have a chat with him about anything. Before I came here I spoke to him about Sturm and he said, “It would definitely be good for you, so go and enjoy it.” Getting first team football is so important, so I was very much open to going on loan.

Klopp described a previous loan spell of yours in Ireland at St. Patrick’s Athletic as “fantastic.” You won Player of the Year, and the team won Ireland’s FA Cup, too. Can that experience help you out in Sturm’s cup matches?

Yes, definitely. I’m so proud of winning that cup, and I think once you’ve been through something, from a pressure point of view, it makes it a little bit easier when these big moments come around again. The buzz after winning that cup was unbelievable, so it’s a good motivator to make you want to go and experience that buzz again. It would be really nice to do that with Sturm, but it’s going to be tough.

Did you see Sturm’s ÖFB Cup win from last season? How much did you already know about the club and the league?

I’ve seen a few clips, it looked unbelievable, and I can’t wait to play in front of the Sturm fans. As a keeper you always get a lot of things shouted at you from the fans, and I love it, it’s class! I wanted to come here because it’s a top division, the standard is good, and the team have been doing really well in recent years, plus European football is always a bonus. When I was growing up I was playing junior games against Rapid, Austria Vienna and Red Bull Salzburg every now and then. So I knew about Sturm Graz, and as soon as the offer came in I thought, “that sounds nice.” I spoke to [WSG Tirol keeper] Adam Stejskal about the league as well, and he was really positive.

As an up-and-coming young goalkeeper, what goals are you setting yourself for this loan spell, and for the future?

I think the keeper’s journey is a bit different. As an outfield player you might play five minutes of first team football here, ten minutes there, and then slowly get introduced to the team, but that doesn’t happen for a third or fourth keeper. That’s why going on loan is so important.

I’d say there are dreams; for many that’s to be in the Premier League, for me it’s to be playing at Liverpool; but in terms of goals, I try to take it a year at a time, evaluate, and then go again. For this half a season, it’s about playing as many minutes as I can, playing the best football possible, and enjoying it. I think that’s the main one!

Looks like the lad is really making a name out on loan, shame about the long injury he suffered last season at Schalke but looks to have picked things up again.

Could he be our Van der Den/Botman?

Chance to impress a new manager and if the assessment is either bonus or him to move on, then we should be able to demand a good fee.

Be interesting if a new manager moves to a 3 at the back system, then we’ll definitely need to bring a couple of CB’s in.

Chance to impress a new manager and if the assessment is either bonus or him to move on, then we should be able to demand a good fee.

Be interesting if a new manager moves to a 3 at the back system, then we’ll definitely need to bring a couple of CB’s in.

Chance to impress a manager who has actually seen him play for Mainz...

b06111ca4f61490fe7dc535e0250d603.gif

Annoyingly no highlight vids of him on YT anywhere either this or last season and can't say I've watched any Mainz games to see in how he's doing.

From the noise you hear and read about and the stats you see, you assume he's doing well but the question will be if it's good enough to be a Liverpool player. Can he replace what Quansah's done? Or will he turn out to be another Ilori?

I guess pre-season is what stands in the way whether he stays, goes on loan, or leaves permanently.

Annoyingly no highlight vids of him on YT anywhere either this or last season and can't say I've watched any Mainz games to see in how he's doing.

From the noise you hear and read about and the stats you see, you assume he's doing well but the question will be if it's good enough to be a Liverpool player. Can he replace what Quansah's done? Or will he turn out to be another Ilori?

I guess pre-season is what stands in the way whether he stays, goes on loan, or leaves permanently.
Well he's been doing a lot of defending for Mainz this season. They've had a terrible season and are on the verge of relegation.
They fired the manager again this week, that's two managers gone this season.
See what I meant about intent regarding Burnley.
Anyway, I'm not sure if he's had a good season, but they haven't conceded a lot of goals. They only let in 35 goals which is equal to or less than 9 of the 18 teams in the Bundesliga. Compare that to Burnley and Sheff U who have conceded 55 and 60 goals respectively.
It could be that Sepp is in a Branthwait situation, a good defender playing for a shitty team.

Hull are really pushing for promotion this season. Let's hope they succeed and spend that PL cash on Carvy

Back
Top Bottom