• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LFC Press conference 10am 01/06/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
'It's a very typical continental system where you've got a collaborative system'. That's one of Ayre's comments. I think Kafka's aphorisms are less gnomic than any line from Ayre.

I was being glib, but it does seem like either Brendan is saving face or the owners are overplaying the structure element.

Does Werner wear a wig? You people are ignoring the bigger picture.

It looked as though he'd just got up after sleeping awkwardly with his head pressed up against a window. Which judging from that incredibly woozy performance is probably close to the truth.

its not a confusion in the understanding...its how easily the owners have backed down from the longterm plan they supposedly have,
they definately wanted a DOF and manager working as just a coach.

maybe that's true. but in this particular press conference both men said a number of times there would be a group of people as opposed to a dof. actually the very last question to ayre was "so you won't be appointing anyone specifically in that role per say?" to which ayre replied "correct"

'It's a very typical continental system where you've got a collaborative system'. That's one of Ayre's comments. I think Kafka's aphorisms are less gnomic than any line from Ayre.

Ayre is power-hungry to my eyes.Wants in to the "collaborative system" and Rodgers made it clear that isn't going to happen.

Didnt see it. But from the snippets Im getting here "shambles" sounds like a good word to describe it.

It sounds to me that they have introduced a new manager to work with a director ( technical, sporting, of football, fuck knows what), who turns round and says he will not work with a system like that.

Has he resigned yet?

It looked as though he'd just got up after sleeping awkwardly with his head pressed up against a window. Which judging from that incredibly woozy performance is probably close to the truth.

6-5l.jpg

The thing is there should have been a very brief but very clear explanation of precisely what the set up will be. It was primarily a conference for Rodgers, yes, but all of this must have been discussed and settled on before he signed the contract (you'd have hoped!), so why not clarify it for everyone? It would have taken about 30 seconds and then everything would have moved on. It's so cackhanded.

Well, it seemed to me they cut it short. Maybe it was a coincidence. John Thompson just now put a different spin on it, claiming that Rodgers said he wouldn't work with a DoF but was willing to work with a set of people. I must say I didn't get that impression, and I'm not sure what that means, but hey ho.

Just seen it now. Appeared to me that Rodgers put his marker down to both Ayre and the media that he was very much in charge and adamant that a DOF/SD was not workable. He used the term "little technical team" around him to decide on the way forward giving the impression he sees himself as very much the manager and figurehead of the club.

Like most have said, the whole exchange made Ayre in particular (and by extension the owners) look like a wittering chump. But, it's also served to highlight that Rodgers both knows his own mind and has a fair bit of steel about him to add to his tippy-tappy reputation.

Didnt see it. But from the snippets Im getting here "shambles" sounds like a good word to describe it.

It sounds to me that they have introduced a new manager to work with a director ( technical, sporting, of football, fuck knows what), who turns round and says he will not work with a system like that.

Has he resigned yet?

all I'll say is watch it when you get a chance and make your own mind up.

its not a confusion in the understanding...its how easily the owners have backed down from the longterm plan they supposedly have,
they definately wanted a DOF and manager working as just a coach.

Theres no grounds other than rumours or what is in the media to support that they definitely wanted a a dof or sporting director. Most rumours and what Ayre had been saying were pointing to a new structure but never disclosed what it was. A group of people making calls with Rodgers having final say seems workable to me. I dont think Rodgers cut across Ayre for any other reason than to clear up the confusion Ayre started when he was going round in riddles trying to make the structure sound more complicated than it actually is.

If we have abandoned the director of football role which BR seems to suggest, then it makes a mockery that we didn't even bother interviewing rafa.

That was always the thing that worked against rafa, that he wouldn't work under dof structure.

Nb. Not against BR appointment, though we only had a few candidates to choose from and rafa seem the most qualified even with Capello in the mix

As far as I can see the only good thing in the press conference was Rodgers.
He is going to need to be very good I think

Regarding pinching Swansea players..

Swansea chairman was on talksport this morning, stipulating there is a binding agreement as part of the compensation package that we cannot come in for any Swansea players within the next 12 months. However that does not stop us scuppering this player they are currently trying to buy Sigurdsson. He confirmed even though the deal is agreed it has yet to be finalized.

Last edited:
If we have abandoned the director of football role which BR seems to suggest, then it makes a mockery that we didn't even bother interviewing rafa.

That was always the thing that worked against rafa, that he wouldn't work under dof structure.

Nb. Not against BR appointment, though we only had a few candidates to choose from and rafa seem the most qualified even with Capello in the mix
thats exactly the point here,if the manager is top dog and makes the final decision on all matters then surely we had much better qualified
candidates in that kind of set-up

As far as I can see the only good thing in the press conference was Rodgers.
He is going to need to be very good I think

Yes. The one thing that Dave Whelan said that was right was how hollow the club is now. Werner sounded like, well, an American who had read bits and pieces about the soccer club, and Ayre was painfully amateurish. A manager needs to concentrate of the football secure in the knowledge that everything else at the club is being run smoothly be proper professionals, and it seems like the opposite at the moment.

Its all well & good saying it's a structure, but if it's van Gaal or texty surely everyone will see them as a DoF anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom