• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool's Summer Transfers : Speculation & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is very little news on Shaq being moved on right ? - even Origi does not seem to be moving on either. Also - I really hate this argument I hear on the media about "what if one of the front three get injured ? - Liverpool don't have an X,Y,Z..." - I mean honestly did no one see what we did to Barca without Bobby and Salah ? both Shaq and Origi stepped up.
They did and then one disappeared and the other scored 6 goals in 42 appearances. He had 7 in 21 the year before.
Like I said before, Origi should have been sold last summer. I'm happy we signed Jota and that we have a new backup front 3 with Jota, Minamino and maybe Elliott.

Rudiger seems to be completely out of favour at Chelsea at the moment – out of all of their CBs (other than Thiago Silva) I would take him to be our 4th choice. He is strong, has some pace and comfortable on the ball; I think potentially he is at Matip's level if he gets to play in a good back line and restores his confidence. It's not a coincidence that he's looked a lot better under Conte and Sarri – 2 managers who know how to organize a defense – than under Lampard who so far looks like he doesn't.

They did and then one disappeared and the other scored 6 goals in 42 appearances. He had 7 in 21 the year before.
Like I said before, Origi should have been sold last summer. I'm happy we signed Jota and that we have a new backup front 3 with Jota, Minamino and maybe Elliott.
Klopp loves Origi, and will probably never sell him. Also, I always think its harsh to quote goals scored in a season to a player who comes on as mostly a sub. Just adding that t my faith in Mini and Elliot is not that great. They have a lot to learn at this level.

Klopp loves Origi, and will probably never sell him. Also, I always think its harsh to quote goals scored in a season to a player who comes on as mostly a sub. Just adding that t my faith in Mini and Elliot is not that great. They have a lot to learn at this level.
Thinking about it, as a fan it's been a satisfying window. We got cover for Robbo, we got one of the best CMs in the world, and watching the highlights, it's his first game, he has had very little prep, but he just slotted in so perfectly. Not over awed by Jota, but assured the club did their homework on him, so looking forward to see what he can do and being surprised.
The so called "dead wood" or "drift wood", well I now don't care if the club can't sell them (this window), other than Karius none of them are a liability.

James Pearce saying there will be #NoMoreTransfers

======================
Liverpool’s show of ambition off the field was followed by a show of force on it.

If the club’s initial lack of transfer activity this summer — coupled with the unconvincing opening day win over Leeds United — gave genuine hope to the chasing pack that the Premier League champions’ standards may slip this season, it’s been swiftly dented.

Having completed the quickfire signings of Thiago Alcantara and Diogo Jota, senior sources at Liverpool have told The Athletic that there will be no more incomings before the October 5 deadline. Sunday’s dominant victory over big-spending Chelsea at Stamford Bridge showed why they are satisfied with their lot.

What a difference a week makes. Both the fans and the dressing room have been energised by the injection of quality. Cover for Andy Robertson at left-back? Greece international Kostas Tsimikas was brought in earlier in the window to fill that role.

The addition of a midfield playmaker capable of dictating play and threading a pass through the most stubborn of defensive lines? Thiago, who made an eye-catching debut off the bench against Chelsea, is one of the best in the business. The 75 passes he completed in the second half was the most by any player over the course of 45 minutes since such Premier League data was recorded and more than any Chelsea player managed over the full match.

How about easing the burden on the deadly front three of Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino? Finally, that concerning drop off in quality when one of them is missing has been addressed with the purchase of Jota.

The Athletic can reveal that Jonathan David joined Watford’s Ismaila Sarr on Liverpool’s shortlist for an attacker. Liverpool extensively scouted the Canada international but decided to focus their attention on Sarr and Jota instead. David moved from Gent to Lille for €30 million last month.

The one remaining area of the squad seemingly in need of bolstering following the deals for Thiago and Jota was centre-back. Liverpool have been heavily linked with Schalke’s Ozan Kabak but club sources have dismissed talk of making a move for the Turkish defender.

Before the trip to Chelsea, Jurgen Klopp had decided that he was happy to push on with what he’s got. Klopp views Fabinho as effectively his fourth choice centre-back behind Virgil van Dijk, Joe Gomez and Joel Matip. The manager sees French teenager Billy Koumetio, who enhanced his reputation in pre-season, as his fifth pick.

Not directly replacing Dejan Lovren is a risk given that he played 15 games last season. However, Klopp believes Fabinho is ideally suited to dropping from the holding midfield role into the back line when needs must and the win over Chelsea will only have strengthened that belief.

With Gomez and Matip both sidelined by minor injuries, the Brazil international was pressed into action alongside Van Dijk. All the talk pre-game was about how he would handle Timo Werner. Would he be a weak link? There was only one winner. Fabinho excelled. Time after time he was in the right place at the right time to deal with danger.

No Liverpool player could match his tally of four tackles, four interceptions and regaining possession on 12 occasions. He completed the most passes (86) with an accuracy of 97 per cent.

“Fab helped us a lot with the ball and with defending as well — a proper performance,” says Klopp. “He enjoyed it a lot and did outstandingly well.”

There’s a fear factor with Liverpool. Despite their hefty summer outlay, Chelsea showed little ambition. They were set up to try to frustrate the champions. When Liverpool dominate possession and territory like this, Klopp believes having a ball player like Fabinho in the back line can be a major asset. A first clean sheet in seven league games was protected by Alisson’s penalty save from Jorginho.

And a week after Salah took centre stage to torment Leeds, this time Mane did the damage as he put the finishing touch to a classy team move to open the scoring and then punished Kepa’s blunder. Mane’s intelligent run to latch on to Jordan Henderson’s pinpoint pass had led to Andreas Christensen’s red card.

Considering the fee payable to Bayern Munich for Thiago could rise to £27 million and the package agreed with Wolves for Jota amounts to £45 million, some will question why there’s been such a big focus on the financial impact of COVID-19 on Liverpool this summer.

Were they bluffing? No. For a start, it was the structure of the deals for Thiago and Jota which ultimately made them doable. Liverpool have only had to pay around £9.5 million in total in initial payments for the two players and part of that’s been covered by the sale of Ki-Jana Hoever to Wolves for £9 million potentially rising to £13.5 million. Watford would have wanted a much bigger down payment for Sarr.

What has changed for Liverpool is that they finally have some clarity about when revenues are likely to recover. The commercial side has picked up with CEO Billy Hogan recently informing club staff about record kit sales following the launch with Nike. They are up by more than 20 per cent.

And the hope is that the return of some match-day revenue isn’t far away as they work towards getting around 12,000 to 13,000 fans back inside Anfield for October’s visit of Sheffield United. Dialogue with supporters’ groups is continuing. The Centenary Stand, with its narrow gangways, is proving the trickiest in terms of trying to adhere to social distancing measures. More than 600 stewards are being trained on how to get fans in and out safely.

With Thiago and Jota on board, the focus between now and deadline day for Liverpool will be on offloading those on the fringes. The match-day squad at Stamford Bridge didn’t include Rhian Brewster, Xherdan Shaqiri, Marko Grujic, Harry Wilson, Loris Karius and Nathaniel Phillips. Divock Origi, an unused substitute at Stamford Bridge, is another player expected to attract interest.

One man who won’t be leaving is Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. Despite speculation linking him with a move following the arrival of Thiago, Klopp believes the England international still has a key role to play this season. Oxlade-Chamberlain is a couple of weeks away from fitness following the knee injury he suffered in pre-season.

Barring a dramatic change of heart, Georginio Wijnaldum is expected to stay put for the final year of his contract and then leave as a free agent next summer. “We’ve had a lot of good weeks in the past but this was a good one as well. I get that,” said Klopp.

That’s something of an understatement. Liverpool were as decisive and ruthless off the field as they were on it at Stamford Bridge.

Last edited:
The commercial side has picked up with CEO Billy Hogan recently informing club staff about record kit sales following the launch with Nike. They are up by more than 20 per cent.

Who posted the article about shirts sales being lower than expected?

20 percent up on a much nicer PL and CL winning kit, with COVID and a looming recession, really demonstrates the strength of Nike's distribution and marketing. If they actually start making some decent designs the sales could be pretty insane.

Those figures seem to be a bit misleading as the a few of the kits hadnt been available for long

Were they for UK sales only?

Yep, that goes some of the way of explaining it.

I just remembered thinking how odd it was given the clubs website had to implement a waiting list system to get into the shop, and wanted to reread the article

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me, when the club is struggling financially, why haven't we got a shirt sleeve sponsor. The Western Union deal finished a while ago, but we still don't have a new deal in place. Surely this should be addressed as there is valuable revenue being lost, maybe the new guy from Man U is working on something, but at the moment, it just seems as though we are losing out.

Can someone explain to me, when the club is struggling financially, why haven't we got a shirt sleeve sponsor. The Western Union deal finished a while ago, but we still don't have a new deal in place. Surely this should be addressed as there is valuable revenue being lost, maybe the new guy from Man U is working on something, but at the moment, it just seems as though we are losing out.

Not enough space with all the gold badges going on there.

Somebody posted something about it recently....can't remember who, or where it came from.

The gist was that they didn't want to undersell themselves and were waiting for an appropriate offer.

Palace have put in a bid of 19.6m for brewster with a buyback clause of 37m
So we're supposed to pay almost double the amount?
Come to think of it, if he turns out to be as good as he needs to be to play for us, that's a decent fee to ask for.

Last edited:
Somebody posted something about it recently....can't remember who, or where it came from.

The gist was that they didn't want to undersell themselves and were waiting for an appropriate offer.
I don't think the sleeve is particularly attractive to sponsors. Most of the sponsors in the Prem are C list companies at best. Presumably WU didn't want to renew as our price was too high - either they think they paid too much last time or our expectations as Champions are too much of a jump on what they paid previously.
I reckon we'll end up with some dodgy, obscure outfit as the only one who is willing to pay near to what we want so they can launder their reputation by association with us, probably someone with a big pull in the Far East.
There's also a good chance that the exclusivity clauses in existing "category" sponsor deals might prevent us from signing up sponsors who will pay a decent price (e.g. we may not be able to use a bank as sleeve sponsor because Standard Chartered has a veto, whereas WU was in a slightly different sector so was acceptable).

So we're supposed to pay double, almost double the amount?
Come to think of it, if he turns out to be as good as he needs to be to play for us, that's a decent fee to ask for.
Exactly. Though no doubt we can negotiate it down to £30m.

Some distant chatter about we've agreed a fee for Sarr.

Um.. too late Watford. That ship has sailed sadly.

Pppppp1101¹¹1¹¹00111¹¹⁰
I don't think the sleeve is particularly attractive to sponsors. Most of the sponsors in the Prem are C list companies at best. Presumably WU didn't want to renew as our price was too high - either they think they paid too much last time or our expectations as Champions are too much of a jump on what they paid previously.
I reckon we'll end up with some dodgy, obscure outfit as the only one who is willing to pay near to what we want so they can launder their reputation by association with us, probably someone with a big pull in the Far East.
There's also a good chance that the exclusivity clauses in existing "category" sponsor deals might prevent us from signing up sponsors who will pay a decent price (e.g. we may not be able to use a bank as sleeve sponsor because Standard Chartered has a veto, whereas WU was in a slightly different sector so was acceptable).
Man U are getting £20m per season from a company that sells bathroom kitchens, so £5m was a bargain. WU ended the contract early, no doubt covid had an impact on remittances. So if things get back to normal, you might see a company pay the same amount Man U get.

Pppppp1101¹¹1¹¹00111¹¹⁰

Man U are getting £20m per season from a company that sells bathroom kitchens, so £5m was a bargain. WU ended the contract early, no doubt covid had an impact on remittances. So if things get back to normal, you might see a company pay the same amount Man U get.

Whats a bathroom kitchen? Is it like a shower with a built in George Foreman grill

I love Salah. He's a machine. But if I had a chance next season to get Mbappe and it meant selling Salah, I think I'd have to do it.

Which won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom