• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Maureen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Point 5 is bollocks.

Real's "Galactico" strategy is nothing to do with weakening the competition in their own league. At all. It's entirely about creating an ethos and mystique, driven by marketing and brand values, of buying the biggest superstars in the world. They don't actually WANT players from their own league.

They want to transcend the local market, and pluck the best players from every OTHER league. And that level of branding and appeal can be used to cushion them from the problems of Barca or AMadrid winning the league, or whoever beating them in Europe. They are still a glittering, star-studded team.

The only Galactico that they ever signed that also weakened the competition was Figo. Nearly every other "Galactico" or similar was signed from another league - Kaka, Bale, Ronaldo, Rodriguez, Kroos, Beckham, Other Ronaldo, Zidane, Alonso, Di Maria, Coentrao, Modric, Benzema, Kovacic.

And Real gave been winning or coming second in La Liga for fucking DECADES. That's never changed. Now and again a smaller team will come along (valencia under Benitez) and upset the usual order, and lately A Madrid, but generally, Barca or Real are one or two. And always have been.

United have been buying players from Spurs - and wherever - for ages too; Carrick, Berbatov, Sheringham. But they have never had the lack of competition and unparalleled access to funds that Real enjoy. Chelsea and City have put paid to that. They can't simply pluck their best players from those teams, because they can't easily outpay them all, and they don't have the pull of Real or Barca. They've never been a side that wants to buy like that anyway. Perhaps Di Maria (or possibly Veron) was the first real attempt, and that was a fucking disaster.

Before that, they generally spent massive amounts of money on younger players., and I don't think it was an exercise in "weakening the competition" - Pallister, Rooney, Carrick, Ferdinand, Keane etc.

As for being a rich, sociopathic club, that isn't really the way they've ever behaved.

That's been the MO of the newly-rich cunts like Chelsea and now City. Before that, the interchange of top players, and/or buying surplus players to frustrate and weaken the competition didn't exist. And those two are the ones who do it most, still. And abroad, you mentioned Bayern, who DEFFO buy to weaken the opposition.

United have always been about trying to nurture youth and bring players through. About buying "potential" supplemented by the required amount of "battle-ready" players.

Clearly the rapid turn-around of managers and systems and philosophies has left them in a fucking mess, but they still did try and ensure their big purchases were mixed in with players that had the potential to grow and improve at the club; Depay, Martial, De Gea, Shaw etc.

And as for last summer, plenty of people and fans and experts said they did very good business indeed, bringing in Pogba, Bailly, Mikitikitaryan, massive zlatan.

As for buying Toure. Fuck's sake.

You make some very good points. But both Real and Barca have a habit of hoovering up young and promising talents from the rest of the league whenever they make a breakthrough.

Isco, Jordi Alba, Sergio Canales, Sergio Ramos, Illaramendi, Kiko Casilla. Out of that only Ramos and Alba have been successful but the others were considered major talents before their Madrid move.

They also hoover up the best young talent and then sell them to other clubs with buyback clauses and exercise their buyback clause whenever they start showing any promise (Lucas Vasquez) or outright buy them and loan them out (Marcos Asensio, Jesus Vallejo). All three are really good young talents by the way.

I am also a little bit nervous about how we laugh at Mancs with their Madrid galactico policy comparison. For all their flaws, Madrid galacticos have delivered two champions leagues in the last 3 years. If not for the greatest club team of all time, they would have dominated the CL and La liga.

Are there many obvious examples of a club signing a player just to weaken a rival?

The only one I can think of is when Chelsea signed SWP to supposedly stop Arsenal getting him but even that is kinda tenuous.

All top clubs poach the best players of the lesser teams in the league because well a) you're not going to sign the shit ones and b) you can't sign everyone from abroad.

Wasn't there some mention around that time that we went for Desailly but were turned down because he wanted to live in London?

Agree otherwise. We went for good players (at least they were until they arrived at Anfield) but few great ones.

I've always been intrigued by the obsession we seemed to develop for scouting and signing really mediocre players from Norway. Low prices, maybe?

Are there many obvious examples of a club signing a player just to weaken a rival?

Hummels
Gotze
Lewandoski
Neuer
Mario Gomez
Gustavo
Mandzukic
Lucio
Ballack
Ze Roberto

City tried to do it to Arsenal at one point? Chelsea also did it to Arsenal. Signing Cole and Gallas, improved Chelsea and weakened Arsenal.

Hummels
Gotze
Lewandoski
Neuer
Mario Gomez
Gustavo
Mandzukic
Lucio
Ballack
Ze Roberto

City tried to do it to Arsenal at one point? Chelsea also did it to Arsenal. Signing Cole and Gallas, improved Chelsea and weakened Arsenal.

The primary reason for signing almost all of those players was to improve the team rather than to weaken the rival.

The primary reason for signing almost all of those players was to improve the team rather than to weaken the rival.

Oh yeah I agree but it doesn't hurt knowing the fact it also weakens their rivals.

I've always been intrigued by the obsession we seemed to develop for scouting and signing really mediocre players from Norway. Low prices, maybe?

That was really weird in all honesty. Leonardsen, Kvarme, Bjornebye, Kippe. Mediocre players but with a great attitude. Think thats why we had so many Norwegian players in the Premier league at that time. Decent prices, good professionals and a great attitude. Some of them were talented aswell. Bohinen, Solskjær, Johnsen, Berg.
We just bought the wrong ones, as usual.

Now we (Norwegian players) cant even get into the Championship teams....

The only one I can think of is when Chelsea signed SWP to supposedly stop Arsenal getting him but even that is kinda tenuous.

Van Persie.

Higuain.
Pjanic.

It probably guaranteed that Juve would win the league this year.

Someone too into Championship Manager 01-02?

Although the lack of interest in Cherno Samba and Tonton Zola Moukoko would seem to put paid to that theory

Rooney should get totally banjoed more often. He's scored one and made one tonight.

3-0 now

The reliably calamitous Brad Jones scores an OG

I always saw that as Baconface making one very ambitious, expensive last tilt at winning the league, as much as a concerted effort to weaken Arsenal, who hadn't won it for ages anyway

Worked

Yeah agree with your first bit, but think he loved the fact that it fucked Arsenal and Wenger off royally over it weakening them in any way.

I think it's undeniable that it's part of Bayern's strategy to poach the best players from their rivals – ask anyone in Germany (including Bayern fans). A lot of times it made them marginally stronger or not made much of a difference, but has thrown the selling team into a tailspin. They could sign players from anywhere in the world, but most of their business has been focused on the local market. That's the #1 reason why they are the most hated team in Germany.

As for Real, I think it's equally undeniable that they are deliberately weakening their rivals, but maybe the main tool for them is the lopsided financial advantage through an inequitable TV deal, which makes all other Spanish teams paupers compared to the big 2. Them and Barca have almost total control over the Spanish market and have always had a lot of Spanish players on loan or with buy-back clauses playing at smaller clubs (Getafe is a favorite destination for Real loanees). Juve is another one who are doing it in their league, particularly through the uniquely Italian part-ownership structure and some of United's best players of Ferguson years (Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, Roy Keane, Andy Cole, Yorke, Berbatov, RVP etc) have been poached from rival EPL teams. The fact that under Woodward they've stopped doing it and almost exclusively focused on foreign players is in my opinion one of the factors for their recent lack of success.

Last edited:
The Real Madrid chat got me curious so I looked at their transfer history out of interest. Below is a snapshot of recognisable names that were signed from clubs within La Liga.

Luadrup
Redondo
Mijatovic
Suker
Makelele
Figo
Solgado
Helguera
Ramos
Baptista
Albiol
Negredo
Illaramendi
Isco
Danilo

I presumed Makelele arrived from France. I would have forgotten about Suker and Redondo too. A lot of these were before the Galatico area though.

Makelele, Figo, Helguera, Sergio Ramos, Albiol, Michel Salgado, Isco, Morientes, Solari (you forgot the last 2) etc are all squarely in the "galactico era." Yes, some of the biggest stars came from foreign leagues, but the bulk of the team was comprised from the best Spanish league had to offer and almost all the best Spanish talent was scooped very early either by Madrid or Barca. And the few foreign stars they were supporting were invariably the very best of the best – not your Darmians and Blinds.

This was Real's starting 11 in 2000 CL Final, the second of the 3 CL titles they won in 6 years between 1998 and 2002 (players brought from foreign leagues are in bold):

Casillas (Madrid youth team)
Karanka (Athletic Bilbao)
Helguera (Espanyol)
Ivan Campo (Mallorca)
Michel Salgado (Celta)
Roberto Carlos (Inter)
Steve McManaman (Liverpool)

Fernando Redondo (Tenerife)
Raul (Madrid youth team)
Fernando Morientes (Zaragoza)
Nicolas Anelka (Arsenal)

And this was 2002 CL final, which was the high point of Perez's first galactico era. Think there were more foreign-bought players this time? Nope!

Cesar (Valladolid)
Fernando Hierro (Valladolid)
Helguera (Espanyol)
Michel Salgado (Celta)
Roberto Carlos (Inter)
Claude Makelele (Celta)
Luis Figo (Barcelona)
Santiago Solari (Atletico Madrid)
Zinedine Zidane (Juventus)
Raul (Madrid youth team)
Fernando Morientes (Zaragoza)

So I'm sorry, Brendan, but it's simply not accurate to say that "Real had no interest in Spanish league whatsoever" – when Madrid was truly successful, the lion's share of their players came from other Spanish clubs, including direct rivals like Barcelona and Atletico Madrid. Celta was also pretty good at that time. It's when they started to buy lots of foreign players they lost their way and entered a barren period until the 2nd galactico era. BTW that Real Madrid team of roughly 1999 to 2003 is still one of my all-time favorite sides – they played incredible attacking football and were just a pleasure to watch. Everything went south after they got rid of Del Bosque, Makelele and Hierro and signed Beckham.

Last edited:

All top clubs poach the best players of the lesser teams in the league because well a) you're not going to sign the shit ones and b) you can't sign everyone from abroad.

Ac Milan signing Gianluigi Lentin for world record fee at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom