• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mourinho - a 2 season wonder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
This is one of the best football articles I've read in a while. I am a fan, of sorts, of Mourinho, but I have to say every word in this article rings true.

========
Jose Mourinho's deadly third-season boredom

Posted by Ethan Dean-Richards

soc_g_mourhino1_sy_576.jpg
Jose Mourinho's ennui at Real this season hints he may not be a "Special One" for the long term.

Dissect any manager and you'll find a weakness. Arsene Wenger is achingly stubborn, Alex Ferguson has secretly forgotten what central midfielders are and Roberto Mancini is actually Steve Bruce wearing a wig, with the scarf to cover the double chin -- allegedly.

There used to be one exception. Only Jose Mourinho seemed to evade the trend -- he'd always won, always been loved by his players and always had a rapport with his team's fans that other managers (Rafael Benitez) can only construct in their own heads. Dissect away, officer! You’ll find nothing here! No, that's not my underwear, it's my wife's!

But eventually something's cracked -- as it always does -- in Mourinho, because perfection, like happiness, is a painful illusion. And you'd be naive to think otherwise.

Eleven points behind Barcelona in La Liga, second in its Champions League group behind Borussia Dortmund having failed to win either game against them and now defeated by Celta Vigo in the first leg of its Copa del Rey matchup, Mourinho's Real Madrid currently looks like a sort of football club version of Ricky Hatton: punch-drunk, tired and perhaps in need of a renewed sense of dignity.

If reports are true, the closest thing to a direction the club has had all season was last week when it decided its manager wouldn't stay on after June. The Man For All Seasons has turned out to be The Man For About Two And A Bit Seasons -- a manager only for the short term.

There have of course been rumours about this flaw all along -- at Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan, only once did Mourinho finish a third season as manager, and it certainly didn't go to plan either -- but there had never been proof until now that "flaw" was really the right word for it. He left two of those clubs on his own terms to move on to bigger jobs, both times after two seasons, so we never glimpsed how the third campaign would look. At Chelsea, on the other hand, the world was quite rightly ready to blame tireless anti-self-awareness campaigner and owner Roman Abramovich for Mourinho's departure after a poor finish to his third and final full season at the club.

After this season, though, those exits ought to be framed differently. What had begun to happen at Chelsea five years ago has been played out in full in Madrid this season, finally giving non-rubber ammunition to those who have shouted all along that Mourinho would never be able to sustain success in any one place. The intensity has dropped off, the consistency of results has gone and cliques within the squad have begun to emerge. We're left to assume that had Mourinho stayed at Porto or Inter any longer, Sergio Ramos and his Alice band would have openly questioned his authority there too.

soc_g_ramoss_310x175.jpg
If Mourinho was truly tuned in this season, would Sergio Ramos' insubordination be rewarded with as much playing time as the defender is getting?

Now, undoubtedly part of Mourinho's genius has been in covering up -- or negating entirely -- this problem. Just as Alex Ferguson has worked around not knowing what a central midfielder is by simply deploying dozens of players -- often at the same time -- in that position, Mourinho has always got out of clubs at the right time, just before the magic wore off. But you're left asking why the magic has to wear off at all. The fact that Mourinho doesn't last well after two seasons is a symptom of failure, not an explanation for it. So what's the deal? Why does this keep happening? Is it something I said?

One unifying theory might explain it. Quite simply, it's hard to care once you don't have something to fight against directly anymore. And if your name is Jose, this seems to be a particular problem.

Look back at Mourinho's career and you see the pattern: invent the point, prove the point, then move on. At Porto he won the Champions League with a team that everyone would have said could never do it (as if there had ever even been a question of them doing it) and then left for Chelsea. At Stamford Bridge he knocked Wenger and Ferguson off their half-constructed perches with two league titles straight away when consensus said that it would take time; then he spent an entire season fizzling out until he simultaneously quit and got sacked at the beginning of that fourth season there. At Inter he won the Champions League treble after people had said he couldn't repeat what he'd achieved at Porto, only to immediately walk away.

Now he's at Real. In his first season there he won nothing except the Copa del Rey, which obviously left work to be done last season. But the point wasn't just to win; the point was to prove that one of football's greatest ever teams, Barcelona, could be beaten. How did Mourinho do it? Knowing he'd probably lose on the pitch, he went postmodern and worked outside the genre, going after the Barcelona coaching staff -- introducing Tito Vilanova's eye to his index finger, using press conferences exclusively to provoke Pep Guardiola and turning conspiracy theories into cliche -- and then proved his point not when he captured the league title for Real, but when he forced Pep into taking a break from football. Bye-bye, Pep!

Mourinho didn't just force Pep into changing jobs, he forced him into putting his career into hibernation. And when Guardiola quit, he didn't just move away from Spain, he moved continents -- the footballing equivalent of knocking someone out and then pushing them out of the ring. Into a different continent. Guardiola has since spent nearly a year without a job in football, and the natural assumption (if not the only assumption) to make is that he's waiting to see where Mourinho goes next so he can avoid him.

soc_guardiola_mourinho_d1_200.jpg
One suspects that Mourinho's impending next move might be connected to whatever job Pep Guardiola takes, such was Jose's joy at their competitive rivalry.

Mourinho beat Barcelona mentally and then also on points as an apparent afterthought. The point does not get more thoroughly proved than that. But it leaves nothing else to be done at Real. We can probably say that Mourinho doesn't love football -- he may even despise it -- but he loves winning, and that means finding new people to beat all the time. With Guardiola vanquished there's nothing left for him in Spain. Vilanova, of course, was beaten even before he was appointed as Barcelona's new leading man.

These days Mourinho simply doesn't seem interested. After last night's defeat to Celta Vigo he said he was "disappointed" in his players -- despite the headlines, that hardly sounds like a "blast," it sounds like grim acceptance of the status quo. Look at last summer's signings: Luka Modric and Michael Essien. Real didn't need them; they're Ballack and Shevchenko Mark II, players brought in perhaps without Mourinho's consent but definitely without his giving a damn. It goes like this: If Modric wasn't his signing, it's perfect proof that he's lost interest, and if he was... it's also perfect proof that he's lost interest.

If Mourinho still really wanted to win at Real this season, Sergio Ramos' efforts at insubordination would surely have been treated far more harshly. Ramos has been dropped a couple of times for shooting his mouth off but he hasn't been banished from the first team or even publicly bad-mouthed -- it stinks of a lack of effort on Mourinho's part.

The list goes on. Think about it: If Mourinho was trying, would Vilanova have any eyes left at this point? Would he not, at the very least, have given him a bit of a shove at the last Clasico?

Mourinho needs a new enemy to accuse of having the referees in his pocket. The reasonable guess, therefore, is that his eyes are on Manchester already. Either that or he's just planning to go after Pep again for laughs, a superior pursuit in both intellectual and emotional terms. The sooner he has a new point to prove, however, the better. Losing to Celta Vigo, first leg of a two-legged tie or otherwise, is not befitting of a man of Mourinho's managerial genius.

This 'syndrome,' which a few of us have mentioned, is why he should never be mentioned amongst the 'greatest' managers in the game.

I said this in the other Mourinho thread as the reason why United might not want him, I reckon he's City or maybe even Chelsea bound. Probably followed by a weird Cantona-esque early retirement at his peak and a late in life crack at international management when the boredom becomes too much.

He brings almost instant success wherever he goes. Not many managers have ever managed that nor could they. Every new manager seems to plead for time rather than just getting on and winning things like Jose.

To say he wouldn't be in the equation for the best Managers around is ridiculous. He wins the League wherever he goes, usually the Champs League plus other trophies. Not sure what else you could want. Fans always think he's a ledge, the only reason we don't is he's been the Manager of a rival and not us. I mean, look at the way our fans fawn over Benitez when Mourinho is clearly a better Manager.

Still the best in the business with me. He's done the business in every major league he's gone to.

Regardless of money or players that is impressive as each time he took a team over he brough them success they either hadn't had for a long time or ever before.

Porto while a strong domestic team had never threatened in Europe. Uefa cup then CL. Incredible.
Chelsea, no league title in what 60 years. Back back to back titles.
Inter Milan, titles but no European success. Bang Treble (and even our wonderful sides of the 70's and 80's couldn't manage that) Utd did it once in 20 something years under Fergie. Jsoe did it in 1 season.

And then Madrid who hadn't won a title in a number of years and a long way behind Barca.

The man is simply untouchable. I would love to have him here.

you think he could do a job here with a limited budget ?

Still the best in the business with me. He's done the business in every major league he's gone to.

Regardless of money or players that is impressive as each time he took a team over he brough them success they either hadn't had for a long time or ever before.

Porto while a strong domestic team had never threatened in Europe. Uefa cup then CL. Incredible.
Inter Milan, titles but no European success. Bang Treble (and even our wonderful sides of the 70's and 80's couldn't manage that) Utd did it once in 20 something years under Fergie. Jsoe did it in 1 season.

And then Madrid who hadn't won a title in a number of years and a long way behind Barca.

You'd find it hard to watch the games though what with his cock lodged in your fucking face.

Inter did the treble in his second season.

You'd find it hard to watch the games though what with his cock lodged in your fucking face.

Ha. I merely admire the anyone that is the best at what the do. He's arrogant as f&ck but fully deserves to be.

It's laughable that people dismiss his achievements in any way shape or form.

Hmm. It's seems like everybody is just voicing the same usual preconceptions about Mourinho as usual. Did anybody actually read the article?

I read it. I'm far from sure that we can only interpret Pep's absence from the game as his waiting to see where Maureen goes. In fact I thought that was bollocks. I thought it was mainly bollocks, if amusing.

To say he wouldn't be in the equation for the best Managers around is ridiculous. He wins the League wherever he goes, usually the Champs League plus other trophies. Not sure what else you could want. Fans always think he's a ledge, the only reason we don't is he's been the Manager of a rival and not us. I mean, look at the way our fans fawn over Benitez when Mourinho is clearly a better Manager.

'Instant success' for the best team in Portugal, the most expensive constructed team in England, the league winning team in Italy and the most expensive team in history in Spain. I wonder ... could he do it with a team that's not built that way and say over 5 years?

Surely we know better than most that spending a shit load of money is no guarantee for success.

Surely we know better than most that spending a shit load of money is no guarantee for success.

Mourinho didn't 'spend the most' - he went to teams that were already set up bloody well to succeed after spending a lot. He didn't add that much to Porto, Chelsea (Cech and Robben were already signed before he got there) or Inter. His pick ups at Madrid have been very good though (Ozil, Khedira etc)

I found quite a lot to disagree with. Particularly the bits about Guardiola and beating Barcelona.

Mourinho is clearly a talented manager. He's very good at getting hugely expensive and talented squads to perform to their potential. He's good at organizing his teams. He's good at doing the whole media thing (although less so in Spain).

He's not one of the greats because the great managers build sides, know how to sustain their success, rebuild their sides and show some versatility and ability to adapt. Mourinho is Mourinho. He has his style both on the pitch and off it. It suits him and it generally suits the clubs he goes to - for a brief period. He's a one trick pony... it's a great trick and it's brought him a lot of success but still.

I find that I respect his winning the CL at Porto more than anything else he's done in his career.

That article is a load of waffle about nothing. It starts off for fucks sake talking about Mancini being steve bruce, and talking about ferguson the old cunt not knowing what central midfielders are even though they're 6pts clear and the bloke has won everything there is to win.
Bottom line is the bloke is a winner and wins where ever he goes, and two out of his last 4 teams have been places where you don't expect to build a legacy and stay for 10yrs anyway. Who gives a shit if he only spends 3yrs at chelsea and madrid? That's a lot longer than most managers manage at those clubs.
It looks like an article of desperation on one of the best managers in the game as he doesn't have many weaknesses, I presume they'll run a similar one on ginsoak next week for not scoring 5 in a game.

I find that I respect his winning the CL at Porto more than anything else he's done in his career.

Yup.

one of the best managers in the game as he doesn't have many weaknesses, I presume they'll run a similar one on ginsoak next week for not scoring 5 in a game.

One of the best managers in the game, yes. One of the greatest ever? No where near the list ... He could never have done what Shankley did, what Ferguson did etc ... He can't sustain a project, which is normally already succeeding or bloody close to it, for longer than 2 years - that says a lot.

Don't even know what this is meant to mean.
There used to be one exception. Only Jose Mourinho seemed to evade the trend -- he'd always won, always been loved by his players and always had a rapport with his team's fans that other managers (Rafael Benitez) can only construct in their own heads. Dissect away, officer! You’ll find nothing here! No, that's not my underwear, it's my wife's!

I always chuckle at the idea that if Mourniho is appointed Liverpool manager we'll suddenly become champions.

Maybe - if about half a billion is spent on new players.

Yup.

One of the best managers in the game, yes. One of the greatest ever? No where near the list ... He could never have done what Shankley did, what Ferguson did etc ... He can't sustain a project, which is normally already succeeding or bloody close to it, for longer than 2 years - that says a lot.

I'm not sure on what grounds you can say that mate, that would be like saying after ginsoak being in charge for 2yrs claiming the same about him, that he couldn't build a legacy like shanks etc.
Mourinho has won the league in 4 different countries at a youngish age, 3 of those being the 3 biggest in europe.
What happens if he goes to a big team that keeps their managers as a rule? Then he'll sustain a project wont he. He's been at chelsea and madrid that usually don't keep a manager for 12 bloody months let alone 12yrs.
Do you think if he went to the scum for example, he'd be off after 2yrs? I dont.

And I also think he's in the list of managers of 'being the greatest ever' group down to him winning everything there is to win, and winning the 3 biggest leagues in europe.

Because, Mors, he had either exceptional help from owners splashing cash more than they did before or he was presented with a team already dominating a domestic league.

I don't think any of his success is purely down to him - he clearly has ability as a manager, but the sign of a feast manager for me is based on the abort to build a dominant team from from a poor position and then sustain that over a period if time.

Mourniho specializes in putting the finishing touches on and creating short term success.

He's like the guy that comes in and feng shui's the house or re-positions the furniture after some other bloke has done all the building work

He's either going to retire very young or he'll have to prove he can sustain success at a club that won't necessarily give him free reign to spend. He's rapidly running out of places to go.

I always chuckle at the idea that if Mourniho is appointed Liverpool manager we'll suddenly become champions.

Maybe - if about half a billion is spent on new players.

He won the Champions League with Porto, don't forget that. He wins primarily because of his motivational skills - well, that's unfair to even call them "skills". He is not gathering players into a room and giving them a power-point presentation of some motivational bullshit. He goes far deeper. He creates the environment that motivates players, he creates conflicts and "with us or against us" choices for everyone in the organization and as a result some people leave, but those who stay become a real tight-knit family, which is rare in modern football where players are
a) filthy rich
b) spoiled, and
c) don't have much in common with each other as they come from different cultures and economic backgrounds

Actually those families stay together for a long time, even after Mourihno himself is gone. In Inter they got mostly broken up: Eto'o sold, Materazzi retired, etc. But at Chelsea, "the untouchables" are still together. Did you see Drogba fly from China to present each of his old-time teammates with a personalized diamond "victory ring"?

Because, Mors, he had either exceptional help from owners splashing cash more than they did before or he was presented with a team already dominating a domestic league.

I don't think any of his success is purely down to him - he clearly has ability as a manager, but the sign of a feast manager for me is based on the abort to build a dominant team from from a poor position and then sustain that over a period if time.

Mourniho specializes in putting the finishing touches on and creating short term success.

He's like the guy that comes in and feng shui's the house or re-positions the furniture after some other bloke has done all the building work

He's either going to retire very young or he'll have to prove he can sustain success at a club that won't necessarily give him free reign to spend. He's rapidly running out of places to go.

Porto hadn't won a title in 3 years when he took over, he won the treble and then the double.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom