• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NFL Off-Season 2011

They've decertified to prevent a lockout. It'll go before Doty in the courts again, and he does seem to like siding with the players so I don't think he'll let the owners lock them out. And if the NLRB gets involved (and I imagine the NFL are already filing a complaint with them) I don't see how they could rule against the NFLPA either as the owners would have to show bad faith on their side (i.e. that the players always intended to strike/decertify/whatever), which will be difficult given that a judge has already basically ruled that the owners themselves were showing bad faith when they agreed the $4bn in TV revenue.

To be honest though, Doty might wrap all that up by granting an injunction against the lockout on the condition the NFLPA stop decertification. There would be a bunch of appeals and stuff before they were finally heard in Doty's court. That gives us weeks of time to make a deal, and meanwhile the CBA would be in effect so free agency would be on again.

We'll see a bunch of FA movement, the draft happen as normal, and then a deal struck at the eleventh hour before it actually has to go to court and potentially herald in a nuclear holocaust of an antitrust suit (damages in antitrust suits are automatically TREBLED from other suits - the NFL does not want to be fucking with that).

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=44535.msg1299043#msg1299043 date=1299928765]
So free agency could still happen before the draft?

How about involving players in draft day trades?
[/quote]

We'll have to see how it goes in court, but I reckon Doty will try to engineer a temporary ceasefire that involves no decertification, no lockout, and the reactivation of the existing CBA. This might take a week or two to sort out as the NFL will appeal. I don;t see anyone overturning him though. So if all that happens we'll have a sort of status quo until whatever date Doty sets for a real hearing between the two sides - and everyone will implicitly understand that they are on the precipice. And the NFL loves it some precipice. It only comes to decisions when on the very edge.

Or, I have no idea what I'm talking about, Doty somehow rules for the owners (or the owners successfully overturn him in some appellate court) and the nuclear button is pressed.

I presume the NFLPA could get a temporary injunction at any point, which could bring the CBA back into effect (immediately bringing FA back) or make the league decide on some set or rules (I'm thinking most likely the same rules as last year - which would effect when players become unrestricted FAs, which could be a bit of a mess). Then he would set a date for a hearing, probably in a couple of weeks.

I know the hearing for the injunction was initially tabled to a different judge last night, but given Doty's familiarity it'll end up on his slate undoubtedly.

Amusingly, one of the owners' prerequisites in any new CBA is that no further labour related actions are taken to Doty's court. They actually named him.

PAC-12 already making noise about playing on Sundays if there is no pro ball. Not sure how they're going to organise that as we all know the NFL will come to some agreement about six minutes before kick off on the opening Thursday.

Longhorns had their spring scrimmage. Gilbert threw a pick right off the bat, which I guess is par for the course. Colt McCoy's little brother looked useful though. He was throwing to the second string against the first line D too. Looks like they're going to be running the ball a lot with the new offence.

Golg can you please explain to me in laymans terms what the fuck is going on?

With the CBA dispute?

I wouldn't worry about it. There will be a bunch of boring-ass legal shit for the next few months. But this is the NFL. As I said months ago, they won't agree something until the very last possible moment. That's what they always do. I reckon they'll come to an agreement over the summer sometime. I doubt we'll miss any football. Everyone is making money hand over fist in this shit, and extending a shutout into the season would just be the most retarded thing. The sort of thing the NBA are likely do, mind.

The draft will happen, almost as usual. It's made a little crazy by the fact there are no free agents, so teams will make some large fucking reaches in the early rounds, and we'll all laugh at that. Then it'll be back to the courtrooms for the usual nonsense, and then they'll be best buds come August and everyone will get back on the field with some sort of compromise, and the prospect of 18 games at some point (not this season I wouldn't think, but in two years or something), and players can get back to shortening their life expectancy for our enjoyment.

Meanwhile, College Football Live is back! Spring scrimmages are happening! The draft is coming! We have the hilarious prospect of Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert going number one! It's the Big Bust Lottery! And no team in the SEC has a quarterback so we might get a champ from a different conference for a change (although it could be Oklahoma, so it wouldn't be that much of a change). Unless the Mad Hatter can get something out of Jordan Jefferson, because LSU are ready to win this thing right now.

We got our 7th round pick back after the tampering fiasco, but they've instead took next years off us. What a shit compromise. Were we guilty or not?

That whole thing was weird. There was obviously more to it than just what Gunner Cunningham said publicly. Frankly, I think they've done what they've done because there is no free agency at the moment, so every draft pick counts. Next year, when there will be free agency, losing a seventh rounder is no big shakes. In fact, it might be better to have the slot open for FA anyway.

Possibly Bears-Bucs at Wembley in October.

weighs risk-reward of getting arrested/killed by Urlacher for trying to murder Cutler on the field

I just saw on TV about a New York Jets player that is moving back in with his parents to save money.

The way I see it the players will fold eventually, although how long who knows, but I would imagine that most of them spend their money pretty liberally and now they have no paychecks coming in. The more players run out of money the more pressure there will be on the players union to settle this thing.

[quote author=MC Golgotha link=topic=44535.msg1315406#msg1315406 date=1302767769]

weighs risk-reward of getting arrested/killed by Urlacher for trying to murder Cutler on the field
[/quote]Confirmed.....ya know......if football is confirmed.

at Tampa Bay - W
Kansas City - W
at Minnesota - W
at Dallas - L
Chicago (MNF) - W
San Francisco - W
Atlanta - L
at Denver - W
at Chicago - W
Carolina - W
Green Bay - L
at New Orleans - L
Minnesota - W
at Oakland - W
San Diego - L
at Green Bay - L

10-6 after an 8-2 start!

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=44535.msg1317962#msg1317962 date=1303210772]
[quote author=MC Golgotha link=topic=44535.msg1315406#msg1315406 date=1302767769]

[/quote]Confirmed.....ya know......if football is confirmed.
[/quote]

If the CBA isn't hasn't been sorted out by Aug 1st the game will revert to being played in Tampa.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=44535.msg1320409#msg1320409 date=1303563402]
Brandon Marshall's been stabbed by some woman and is in intensive care
[/quote]

He's going to be ok and should make a full recovery.

Apparently it was his wife.

Draft time is nearly here...

Who do you want/expect your team to select?

Most draft guides are suggesting Dallas will go offensive line in the first round, with DE/DT J.J Watt also getting a mention.

Id be happy with that. Both lines need an upgrade. The secondary is another area of concern so im expecting that to be addressed in the later rounds.

I'd take Tyron Smith, though it's looking more likely Dallas will get him.

It seems Prince whatshisname my still be on the board at #13, which would be fantastic considering we'll have no shot at Peterson.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=44535.msg1322687#msg1322687 date=1303933610]
Oh, and Newton at #1 is sheer lunacy.
[/quote]

This has been out for a couple of weeks but for any that haven't seen it.

From Pro Football Weekly's scouting report on Newton.....

Negatives: Played in a simplified, run-first, dive-option read offense with very basic high-low reads. Worked exclusively out of the gun and was very quick to run at the first flash of coverage. Limited field vision — does not process the passing game. Inconsistent throwing mechanics with a flick delivery — generates all of his power from his upper-body strength and too often arms the ball. Streaky passer with spotty accuracy. Makes his receivers work hard and throws into coverage. Does not spin a tight spiral. Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and always will struggle to win a locker room. Only a one-year producer. Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.

I read that when Nawrocki put it up a month ago and the first thing I thought was, Bollocks. All of Newton's team mates have spoken highly of him, and you don't take a team unbeaten to a national through the SEC without having your locker room behind you. You just don't. He won big games of them in big ways. Beyond that, the dude is on the receiving end of saturated media coverage and he always appears the same. I think what you see is what you get. Whether you like who he is is one thing, but I don't think it's a mask.

I doubt Nawrocki has ever met him, and the teams scouting him will have spent a considerable amount of time with Newton. John Gruden called the naysaying "elevator music" and said he was impressed with Newton and said the NFL teams were impressed with his retention of detail in interviews. I'll take anything Gruden says over PFW.

There are obviously massive questions about Newton anyway, so I don't see the need for vague intangible problems to be highlighted. Ideally, I would have liked to have seen Newton stay for another year at Auburn and work on his delivery, but a number of factors made that impossible. The one year prducer tag is a bit harsh. He wasn't going to play at Florida so he took the decision to drop to junior level to get field time and he shone. If you can't take into consideration anything played outside of 1-A, then Joe Flacco was a zero year producer. And how did that turn out?

As for his number one position, the minute Andrew Luck committed to Stamford there was a vacuum at the top of the board. The two obvious number one athletes are Peterson and Miller, but Carolina are unlikely to take either. There is no standout QB candidate. Carolina look like they need a quarterback, although they also need some big guys to protect said quarterback (St Louis had Brown, Bell and Goldberg there, which is better than Carolina's middle), so is taking a QB putting the cart before the horse? It's not like there is a QB on the board that you can't say no to.

But if they've decided they need a quarterback, then who else would be number one?

Blaine Gabbert? Please. That was a temporary spell of insanity that seemed to effect everyone in draft coverage. Preposterous. There is definite potential there but he played in a total gimmick offence and threw nothing over ten yards in his final year. And he cost his team a bowl game with sheer stupidity.

Jake Locker has the best foot movement, intelligence and character. I like him a lot. The problem is his pocket accuracy. It's not that he's inaccurate, it's that if he fell over he'd miss the floor. He's not ready to start.

Mallet has a cannon, but major technique issues.

Say what you like about Newton, but he's physical, has an arm, and more importantly he knows what winning is like (contrast with Clausen, who seems to have all the tangible abilities you need, but doesn't know what winning a game feels like).

There is definite JaMarcus Russell/Alex Smith potential, for sure, but like I said. Who else are they going to take if they're fixed on a signal caller?

Back
Top Bottom