• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NFL Off-Season 2011

Ha ha ha! That was great. What was it? We all kill people, everyone murders people. We all steal, from me, from you. Whatever.

Yes, Terelle. Brilliant.

God knows what he'll do if there's no supplemental draft. Play in Canada for a year? Is that UFL nonsense still happening? Otherwise he'll just be training on his own with a QB coach. Even if there is a supplemental, he won't get any type of big contract and I don;t know who'd take him as a QB. Might have to shop himself about as a receiver or something.

Speaking of receivers, my boy Plaxico was released on Monday. Would love a bit of him in Chicago. Crazy eight foot, gat-toting, leg-shooting motherfucker.

Schefter and co seem to be giving him a heroes welcome out of prison. Maybe the don't mind gun crimes.

I've said for a while, Cutler could do with a big target to cut down on those red zone interceptions.

Encouraging.....

Promise has sprung from the latest round of talks between the NFL and players, who resumed clandestine face-to-face negotiations Tuesday on Maryland's eastern shore, the third such set of talks they've staged this month.

According to sources, both the NFL and NFL Players Association are evaluating and strongly considering concessions on all fronts, and that has led to a belief that a deal could be done in two to four weeks. In a sign of the progress made, the legal teams on both sides have returned to the meetings, after sitting out the sessions in suburban Chicago and Long Island. N.Y. the past two weeks.

The talks are expected to continue into Wednesday.

A person with knowledge of the talks told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the two sides are headed in the right direction. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because details of the meeting are not being made public.

Two other people familiar with the talks told The AP a framework for a new collective bargaining agreement could be in place before the owners' meetings next Tuesday in suburban Chicago. A memo went out to owners asking that they keep their schedules for next week flexible, in case the June 21 meeting spills into Tuesday night or even Wednesday.

Both sides entered the negotiations seeing a “window of opportunity” of roughly 30 days to resolve the labor situation. The owners are planning to meet once a month until the situation is resolved.

People familiar with the talks told The AP it would be premature to predict an imminent end to the lockout, but the atmosphere of negotiations has been more positive than it was previously, creating "a sense of movement."

Washington Redskins player representative Vonnie Holliday, appearing on NFL.com's "Cover Two Podcast" Tuesday, told hosts Steve Wyche and Bucky Brooks that he foresees an agreement that would allow for football to continue on schedule.

“All along we just needed to sit down together,” Whitworth said. “The problem we really had before was nobody could get around the attorneys and lawyers and all these kinds of things and just talk and figure this thing out. Finally we got a chance where you’ve got owners and players and (NFLPA Executive Director) DeMaurice Smith and all those guys sitting face-to-face and negotiating.

“That’s how you get a deal done. You don’t hire an attorney to get you a contract when you get drafted. You get an agent to negotiate. Once we got around the legal stuff, we started to make ground and I think we’re really close.”

The parties met for three days outside Chicago two weeks ago, in the days leading up to the June 3 injunction appeal hearing before the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, and again last week for two days on Long Island.

It's been 94 days since the NFL locked the players out, with this past Sunday marking three months. There are still 86 days until the 2011 NFL Kickoff on Thursday, Sept. 8 in Green Bay, but the league and players are working toward an agreement that would preserve training camps and the entire preseason.

The league estimates that the cancellation of the preseason could cost it as much as $1 billion. Whether that figure is accurate or not, both parties recognize that the major economic losses that would be incurred by this dispute dragging through the summer would make negotiations exponentially tougher.

Sources say internal deadlines to have some semblance of a "normal" preseason with the games preserved sit on or around July 15.

To this point, labor committee members Jerry Richardson (Carolina Panthers), Robert Kraft (New England Patriots), John Mara (New York Giants), Jerry Jones (Dallas Cowboys), Art Rooney (Pittsburgh Steelers), Clark Hunt (Kansas City Chiefs) and Dean Spanos (San Diego Chargers), active players Mike Vrabel (Kansas City Chiefs), Tony Richardson (New York Jets), Domonique Foxworth (Baltimore Ravens) and Jeff Saturday (Indianapolis Colts), NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith and NFLPA president Kevin Mawae have taken part in the "secret" meetings.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan, who ran court-ordered mediation between the NFL and players in Minneapolis in April and May, also has been involved but is serving in a different capacity at these summits.

madden2012cover.jpg

A reporter on ESPN just said that the current talks going on are going in the "right direction". Whatever that means.

[quote author=MC Golgotha link=topic=41376.msg1245726#msg1245726 date=1294406326]

Also, saw an interview with Eric Legrand. He smashed his C3 & C4 vertebrae a few months ago making a tackle for Rutgers, leaving him on a ventilator and paralysed from the neck down. He's breathing on his own now and has movement in his shoulders and sensation in his arms. Always a horror seeing a kid go down like that.
[/quote]

Quick update on this. LeGrand tweeted a couple of pictures of himself standing with the aid of a body frame. Says he is slowly getting movement back in his arms too. At the time of the injury doctors were pessimistic about him ever coming off the ventilator, but the lad said he'd walk again. Long road to recovery, but good to see any progress.

Some rumblings about the lockout being almost over lately. The Packers have supposedly been arranging practice sessions for next week.

The owners are meeting today to vote on the proposed CBA. Need 24 of them to agree to it for it to pass. The players' association was supposed to vote yesterday but didn't. They could vote today, but I imagine they'll hold out and see what the owners do. The teams will be putting arrangements into place for practices next week in case it all happens this weekend.

It's looking likely it could be signed before the deadline for London game, which is good. Possible stumbling blocks are the other cases that were brought earlier in proceedings - there are hearings set for them, and you never know how these things are going to be dealt with, i.e. will the owners refuse to sign off on the CBA until the Brady et al case has officially been dropped in court.

The owners pass the new CBA, by a vote of 31-0. For some reason the Raiders did not vote, but with Al Davis that's not really a surprise, he probably doesn't even know there is a lockout.

If the players approve this CBA, facilities could open Saturday, with free agency to start on Wednesday.

Finally!

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The NFL Players Association executive board and 32 team reps have voted unanimously to approve the terms of a deal to the end the 4-month lockout.

Owners overwhelmingly approved a proposal last week, but some unresolved issues still needed to be reviewed to satisfy players; the owners do not need to vote again.

The sides worked through the weekend and wrapped up the details Monday morning on a final pact that is for 10 years, without an opt-out clause, a person familiar with the deal told the AP.

Owners decided in 2008 to opt out of the league's old labor contract, which expired this March. That's when the owners locked out the players, creating the NFL's first work stoppage since 1987.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/07/25/nfl-labor-deal.ap/index.html#ixzz1T8tJfMt3

[quote author=ricobats link=topic=44535.msg1370559#msg1370559 date=1311714340]
Cowboys not hanging around.

Hearing reports that Roy Williams, Marion Barber and Leonard Davis have been cut.
[/quote]

And they signed Doug Free too ...

Big statement with those three cuts ...

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=44535.msg1370647#msg1370647 date=1311748495]
The Carson Palmer situation is fascinating.
[/quote]

For a second there I thought you said "Carlton Palmer".

[quote author=ricobats link=topic=44535.msg1371510#msg1371510 date=1311867635]

Albert Haynesworth to New England
[/quote]

Watch him become unplayable next year ... That team is run brilliantly.

Looks like they got Ochocinco also, look for him to flourish under Bellicheck at least for a season or so. Then when he wants more money Belicheck will kick his ass to the curve.

Newton signs for $22m, fully guaranteed. Worth just over a quarter of Bradford's deal. Still a fucking nice pile of readies though.

We have cut Flozell Adams, Max Starks and Randle-el.

I'll always remember Randle-el fondly for one of my favourite superbowl moments ever.

The Antwaan Randle El Touchdown Pass in Super Bowl XL

That was when i KNEW we had it won.

In other Steelers news.

Pittsburgh has signed defensive lineman Cameron Heyward (1st Round – 31st overall),
offensive lineman Marcus Gilbert (2nd Round – 63rd overall),
defensive back Cortez Allen (4th Round – 128th overall),
defensive lineman Chris Carter (5th Round – 162nd overall),
offensive lineman Keith Williams (6th Round – 196th overall)
and running back Baron Batch (7th Round – 232nd overall).

I dont watch college football so can anyone tell me if we have any gems in that lot or not?

And:

Wide receiver Hines Ward, guard Chris Kemoeatu and tight end Eugene Bright were placed on the Active/PUP (Physically Unable To Perform) List.

The Steelers also have agreed to terms with cornerback Ike Taylor, placekicker Shaun Suisham and offensive tackles Willie Colon and Jonathan Scott.

The middle picks were great. Allen, Carter and Brown all could have gone in higher rounds. I particularly like Carter. He was like a hand grenade going off in the middle of offences in the WAC last year. A total sack machine. I doubt you'll play him on the line though, he lacks the size at pro level (probably why he slipped to where he did). He'll play at OLB I reckon (and I think he initially went to Fresno as a linebacker and they converted him). He's fast as fuck off the snap and has good arms. And Harrison isn't getting any younger (or popular with his team mates).

First two were really solid, especially Gilbert. Big Ben will love a bit of him.

While you're at it MC, how about a draft recap for the 'Boys too? I like what's I've seen so far Tyrone Smith.

[quote author=MC Golgotha link=topic=44535.msg1374099#msg1374099 date=1312368113]

The middle picks were great. Allen, Carter and Brown all could have gone in higher rounds. I particularly like Carter. He was like a hand grenade going off in the middle of offences in the WAC last year. A total sack machine. I doubt you'll play him on the line though, he lacks the size at pro level (probably why he slipped to where he did). He'll play at OLB I reckon (and I think he initially went to Fresno as a linebacker and they converted him). He's fast as fuck off the snap and has good arms. And Harrison isn't getting any younger (or popular with his team mates).

First two were really solid, especially Gilbert. Big Ben will love a bit of him.
[/quote]Cheers MC. Sounds promising. Yeah Harrison doing everything he can to create a harmonious dressing room this summer it seems.

Any insight on who will be the teams to beat this year?
Im guessing Patriots, Packers, Steelers and Giants?

Back
Top Bottom