• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NFL Regular & Post Season Thread

Oh, and last time we got shallacked this badly in the playoffs was 1991 against none other than those pesky Detroit Lions. Guess what happened the next year? Here's hoping.

Lining up free agents next season is going to be tricky with the current contract dispute. If nothing is sorted, then loads of players are going to be restricted rather than unrestricted (Austin included). If the labour contract is agreed then Collins and Bethea would be UFAs. I think Melvin Bullitt might be a free agent too. Eric Berry out of Tennessee looks fucking amazing, but even as a safety he might go top ten. Fast as hell (watch him clock in the four-threes at Indy), good hands, can tackle.

There are probably half a dozen offensive tackles that'll go first round. Obviously Okung and Campbell will be off the board early, but there's depth here. People like Ciron Black and Kyle Calloway will probably still be there in the fourth. Jared Veldheer is getting a rep, but he played Div II, so I haven't seen him. He'll be at Indianapolis though.

why the hell haven't you posted more in this thread if you obviously follow the league? there's so few of us on the site that anyone with knowledge would be a great addition to these threads.

re: Austin. I thought he was definitely a RFA? Oh well, he'll get his paycheck and I think that will most likely mean 'Bye bye Roy'.

Never seen Eric Berry play - but if he's good, I doubt we have money as Hamlin is also on a long contract unfortunately after one good season.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=35654.msg1036987#msg1036987 date=1263819724]
why the hell haven't you posted more in this thread if you obviously follow the league? there's so few of us on the site that anyone with knowledge would be a great addition to these threads.[/quote]

Too many Cowboys fans...

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=35654.msg1036987#msg1036987 date=1263819724]

re: Austin. I thought he was definitely a RFA? Oh well, he'll get his paycheck and I think that will most likely mean 'Bye bye Roy'.

Never seen Eric Berry play - but if he's good, I doubt we have money as Hamlin is also on a long contract unfortunately after one good season.
[/quote]

Austin will be unrestricted if the contract is agreed. He will go back to restricted if not as he won't have six years. So Jerry Jones probably doesn't want an agreement.

Berry will be long gone by the time the Boys come to pick.

Dez Bryant will probably go high, although I think Tate is more ready-made for the pros. Bryant can drift in and out of games. He'll take some work. Damian Williams is also a better bet. USC play a pro-offence, and he had a nice season even with all the nonsense going on there.

If the rams take ndamukong suh then there's every chance the lions will trade down. dallas first and x round pick plus roy williams?

(I know it'll never happen but I wouldn't be opposed to it I don't think!)

[quote author=MC Golgotha link=topic=35654.msg1037019#msg1037019 date=1263820916]
why the hell haven't you posted more in this thread if you obviously follow the league? there's so few of us on the site that anyone with knowledge would be a great addition to these threads.[/quote]

Too many Cowboys fans...[/quote]

We're not that bad.

You see to know the college game too ... I used to watch it religiously when I was in the States, but I can't be bothered anymore. I did watch most of the SEC title game. I have a feeling Tebow will be a decent NFL pro for some reason.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=35654.msg1037026#msg1037026 date=1263821487]
If the rams take ndamukong suh then there's every chance the lions will trade down. dallas first and x round pick plus roy williams?

(I know it'll never happen but I wouldn't be opposed to it I don't think!)
[/quote]

Suh is the best player in the draft, but the Rams need a QB, and the second round pickings are slim. I think they'll pick Clausen. Or, if they've been drinking heavily, Bradford. Which probably means Detroit will take Suh (unless they want to trade away from the salary), even though they really need to prioritise protecting Stafford.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=35654.msg1037029#msg1037029 date=1263821878]
I have a feeling Tebow will be a decent NFL pro for some reason.
[/quote]

I actually agree with you. The talk about his action and his leg movement etc is getting boring. He's pretty accurate, is a real threat on his feet, is a born leader and just knows how to win. I think the brand Tebow will see him go first round. As SG says, the Jags look a fit, but for all the wrong reasons. They want to get their season ticket holders back, so taking a Gainesville legend seems like a plan. But I don't think there's any way Jack Del Rio or Gene Smith pick Tebow. If he goes to the Jags it's because Weaver has told them the franchise future is in doubt and they need a lottery ticket, so commercial concerns will override all pitch concerns.

I have a sneaky suspicion the Pats might go for him.

He's also fantastic in the shot gun, which is the way most NFL offenses are going nowadays (60%+ of throwing plays are shot gun now).

He'd be a fantastic understudy for Tom Brady.

Time will tell but I think he'd be a very good pick up for whoever gets him in the 20-30 range, if he's a 1st rounder.

And his running ability makes him deadly from the shotgun as you can't just line up a pass rush against him as you usually would a shotgun O.

yah tough kid ... he's going to surprise a lot of people ... he's no danny wuerffel

you see MC, you can have civil chats with Cowboy fans!

Well, most of the time anyway. ;)

My sympathies, Wizzy, I really thought you and I were going head to head for the NFC title this season.

I did too. The Metrodome I think was the key - their D-line is on a different level there. But credit where it's due, they whooped us really good. I'm really looking forward to the re-match.

As I said earlier, I wanted Favre to win until that last TD. Now I hope the Saints stomp them.

MC - forget about the lions fixing the o-line... Everyone in the world knows its shit besides 3 people. Sadly that's the lions GM, HC, and OC.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=35654.msg1037148#msg1037148 date=1263828276]
[/quote]

I'm amazed when I have civil chats with my own team's supporters, let alone Cowboys fans.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=35654.msg1037163#msg1037163 date=1263829390]

As I said earlier, I wanted Favre to win until that last TD. Now I hope the Saints stomp them.
[/quote]

What a whiny...

contains self

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=35654.msg1037165#msg1037165 date=1263829507]
MC - forget about the lions fixing the o-line... Everyone in the world knows its shit besides 3 people. Sadly that's the lions GM, HC, and OC.
[/quote]

I know. Schwartz said it was outrageous Jeff Backus wasn't voted to the pro bowl. Ha ha ha ha ha. Makes you wonder what they're watching up there.

Someone did a comparison of all the left tackles in the nfl who have started x games in the last 10 years. Backus was the worst by over a sack a game in the entire league.

Makes sense. I'm sure Matt Stafford could just show his coaches his knee and his shoulder and explain that shit without statistics too.

Please, coach. I'm getting beaten up. Go get me Okung.

Okung is the logical pick, but the lions don't do logic. I'll post a story about it when I get home.

If Suh is available however I'd have no problems with that pick :)

[quote author=MC Golgotha link=topic=35654.msg1037171#msg1037171 date=1263829647]
[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=35654.msg1037148#msg1037148 date=1263828276]
[/quote]

I'm amazed when I have civil chats with my own team's supporters, let alone Cowboys fans.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=35654.msg1037163#msg1037163 date=1263829390]

[/quote]

What a whiny...

contains self
[/quote]

Who's your team? Let me guess, Giants? :)

ha ha I just hate running up the score, in HS, college or pro. You've won, you've destroyed the team, let it end. But no, on a 4th and 3, with the Cowboys on 0 time outs, they go for a scoring play! Why not a FG? Or just a run? Hopefully it's a motivational tool for the team (though the fact they were so shit yesterday should hopefully be enough too.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=35654.msg1037223#msg1037223 date=1263831198]

Who's your team? Let me guess, Giants? :)

ha ha I just hate running up the score, in HS, college or pro. You've won, you've destroyed the team, let it end. But no, on a 4th and 3, with the Cowboys on 0 time outs, they go for a scoring play! Why not a FG? Or just a run? Hopefully it's a motivational tool for the team (though the fact they were so shit yesterday should hopefully be enough too.
[/quote]

Giants? Giants?

spits on own carpet

Bears.

I usually agree, re running up the score. In college it gets embarrassing when Florida are playing someone like Washington State, just to board up 60 odd points. But in a divisional playoff game? Yeah, I'd do it. Especially against the Cowboys... My main problem with Brooking though was that it was hardly an un-telegraphed play. It was fourth down and Favre was taking the ball. What did they think he was going to do? They deserved to get scored on for the lazy coverage.

Here's that Lions draft story (the Millen era obviously):

Mayhew said the arguments are all made in the days leading up to the draft so when the Lions are on the clock, they know exactly who they're going to take. I've often recounted the Brian Calhoun story, about how the Lions were debating about whether to take an offensive lineman at that spot in the third round. The argument was whether the Lions would be "reaching'' for him at that spot. They went back and forth without resolution and then, as the clock was about to expire, a coach yelled "Take Brian Calhoun.'' And that's what they did.

DA Bears ... Man rough year ... Cutler needs to grow up fast, or at least learn from Romo how to throw less picks etc ... Confident for a playoff run next year?

I know you weren't asking me Avvy, but whilst I'm here...

I thought they'd do much better this year, and think so again next year once the receivers get a bit more experience. Wasn't always Cutler's fault I don't think... he'll come good.

It's a tough division though (besides one team obviously).

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=35654.msg1037468#msg1037468 date=1263848857]
DA Bears ... Man rough year ... Cutler needs to grow up fast, or at least learn from Romo how to throw less picks etc ... Confident for a playoff run next year?
[/quote]

Good Lord, no.

We have no draft picks to speak of, and a crying need for much bolstering. Cutler doesn't have any toys to play with, which is a major problem, but inside the red zone he is a fucking disaster. He doesn't read the coverage and throws loose and everywhere. Chicago is no town for a gunslinger. He's a talented player, but we shouldn't have given away the family jewels for him. What we really need is a more expansive running game. Forte needs outside support and someone in front of him making holes. That'll be the draft priority. A decent guard, a running back (I don't know why, because he's clearly a major league cock, but something inside me wants us to take LeGarrette Blount in a late round. If he trimmed to about 210lbs he'd be a decent pounder to give Forte a break) and a free safety (I have my eye on Major Wright; he's coming out early into a draft loaded with safety talent, so should fall down to rounds 3-4).

The receiver crew could do with some work, but I think Hester and Aromashodu will man up next year. Knox is an exciting talent, and Cutler likes Bennett. I can see us getting linked heavily with Marshall, and he'd be a fit, but he'd cost way too much. Denver would want more of our draft picks, and Marshall would want an elite payday. Better off working with what we have and looking in the later rounds to see if something floats our way. Trindon Holliday maybe (runs the 40 in sub four-three - he's lightning, and would be a kick return option to free up Hester and Knox to full time WR duties) or, and this might be optimistic, Naaman Roosevelt. I think he might slip down.

But both lines need improving before we get to fancy players.

In fairness Avy, it's kinds hard to critisize the Vikings for running up the score when your lot called two timeouts immediately (I think) before that play... That's also part of the unwritten rule, mate: Not prolonging the inevitable end, if you're "asking" a team to call of the dogs.

Anyways, this isn't college - If you don't want them to keep scoring, stop 'em!

I do think that the scoreline flatters the Viklings, and that Dallas would have given them a far tougher test had they not shot themselves in the foot several times in crucial parts of drives... Romo's fumble, NOT going for it on 4th and 1 (Phillips later told the press that he didn't know it was 4th and 1 - He thought the yaradge was more..!), the toss to MB3 that got stuffed, the two missed FGs - ALL knocked the air outta that team.

You're a good team. Yiz just got beaten by a better one on the day...

Vikings!!!!!!!!!!! *happy dance*

I do think the Cowboys got a little caught up in the hype, the Vikings were more than happy to play the underdog/spoiler role, and homefield advantage were critical. Allen and the rest of the Vikings defensive line are underrated (maybe not anymore?) and Romo didn't have a chance with that little protection. Personally I didn't see the need to run up the score with the last TD (would have been different if they were giving their second string some snaps) but also think the Cowboys shouldn't have been using their timeouts still if they didn't want the Vikings to treat the game like it was still on.

While I'm desperately cheering on the Vikings against the Saints, New Orleans is an explosive team that will give them problems. A great matchup. I do worry about the Vikinigs not having homefield advantage in the cauldron of sound that is the Metrodome though. I was at their home opener this year; it was comparable to Anfield on a European night [I imagine].

Regardless of how the game goes I'll be cheering on the NFC in the Super Bowl unless a really funny Peyton Manning commercial gets released in the next 2 1/2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom