• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

No Loic, what next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a tough one this isn't it.

We either make Sturridge the main man and bring in some able support (hence Remy seeming perfect), or we sign a top level striker and basically say that we don't think Sturridge is good enough to carry the weight of the team.

It doesn't look like we are in for a top level striker and Rodgers has been making some noises indicating that Sturridge is his top guy for 2014/15, so it's that support player we need now. But who out there fits the mould, can play in the system and is willing to sit on the bench? Is there actually any known names out there in the market that we could sign that aren't going to seem underwhelming?

On the subject of Remy, I read somewhere that he has a problem with his ear and that that has been the cause of three failed medicals in the past - I'm not sure how true or otherwise this might be.

At least there should be a spot for Suso on the bench now, and he will probably score more goals for us than the sorts of strikers we're linked with.

Lacazette for me aswell. Good player that could develop into a brilliant player.
Still, its a bit of a meh feeling regardless in this window.

Apparantly Bayern wants to activate Reus release clause in January. If true maybe Dortmund will be interested in selling him now.

Lucas Moura could be a decent shout aswell.

Lavezzi has been linked by a few (not great) sources in the last hour or so.

Probably made up bollocks like, not sure he'd be my pick - certainly not at the £18-20m being mentioned.

Lavezzi would be great if he scored more. He supposedly has the worst conversion record in Europe for the last four seasons.

I could see him being a bit frustrating.

Liverpool eye £18m Ezequiel Lavezzi as PSG prepare £63m bid for Man Utd target Di Maria
LIVERPOOL could benefit from Paris Saint-Germain's desperation to land Real Madrid midfield maestro Angel Di Maria.
By: Jamie Anderson Mon, July 28, 2014

Ezequiel Lavezzi is available for a fee in the region of £18m[GETTY]

Spanish newspaper Marca have highlighted PSG's need to offload Ezequiel Lavezzi amongst others, to ensure their £63m offer doesn't exceed Financial Fair Play regulations.

Liverpool have frequently been linked with a bid for the Argentine striker, but the news of his possible exit could accelerate a deal.

And the last second refusal to sign QPR forward Loic Remy will only add fuel to the fierce speculation surrounding Lavezzi's arrival.

Brendan Rodgers is acutely aware of his need to bolster Liverpool's attacking options, with Daniel Sturridge, Rickie Lambert and Fabio Borini as their only recognised strikers.

And the £75m cash injection generated by the sale of Luis Suarez to Barcelona is proof Liverpool have the financial ability to secure his services.

Lavezzi, 29, enjoyed a productive season with the Parisian club, helping them claim their second successive Ligue 1 title - scoring nine along the way.

A reduced price-tag of just £18m could represent a bargain for Rodgers - especially considering PSG paid £24m for Lavezzi just two seasons ago.

Reports of a loan deal for Angel Di Maria would prevent PSG from breaching FFP.

However Manchester United's relentless interest combined with Real Madrid wanting a cash influx after Carlo Ancelotti's £87m splurge on Toni Kroos and James Rodriguez - means a permanent deal is Laurent Blanc's only viable option.

Don't see how it's a reduced price tag - he's 2 years older and pushing 30.

If he was £24m 2 years ago, we should be paying £14m max. I dint want him though, I want the next bright thing.

I think if we were intended to sign a big name other than Sanchez we would have done so by now, all the talk of wait and see is just that talk, our modus operandi is clearly not tuned into to buying in star players.

After signing Lovren we have already spent the Suarez money, i can see us looking for a player with a 10M or so pricetag but no more that that and unless that player is "value" we wont sign anyone i suspect.

If we can offload Pepe, Agger, Borini and others then we may be able to get in line with FFP but until we do i suspect we may be stuck with what weve got.

I love the way Rodgers got em playing last year but i have to say i find his style of signings as dull as they are curious.

Another possibility perhaps, is to take a high-risk gamble on Rossi's fitness. He's blown the ACL in his right knee twice, and also hurt it again last season, but in-between the pair of ACL injuries and the last injury, he was scoring at a solid rate for Fiorentina, even leading the Serie A scorers' table at one stage I think. After he came back from his latest injury, he scored in 2 of the remaining 3 matches of the season.

He's 27 and signed till 2017, but his injuries could knock down his value somewhat. Might be worth considering a cash + Borini swap offer? Big gamble on his knee, no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom