• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Norwich (a) 17:30 Sat

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s mad about those Suarez goals against Norwich, every single one is a banger.

Weather now showing gusts of up to 50 mph for Norwich.

If this does go ahead its gonna be a fucking dog of a game.

Weather now showing gusts of up to 50 mph for Norwich.

If this does go ahead its gonna be a fucking dog of a game.

Is there any rule about how close to kickoff they have to make the call? If your travelling to that game, you'd have to leave about 11am.

If a few games get cancelled the premier league have fucked themselves over with the winter break

If only they could have done what most league do and have it over christmas, rather than cower to the TV companies

If a few games get cancelled the premier league have fucked themselves over with the winter break

If only they could have done what most league do and have it over christmas, rather than cower to the TV companies

Fuck off, as if it's that. Most fans would go fucking mental if there was no Xmas football. It's boss.

Sky doesn't make loads of money in that two week period anyway, it's the front two weeks of December that counts.

Christmas footy is boss. They should’ve had it the first weekend in the new year.

Is there any rule about how close to kickoff they have to make the call? If your travelling to that game, you'd have to leave about 11am.
Don't think so, cos I remember a game being called off an hour or so before kick off at Anfield due to really heavy fog that rolled in.

Tbf though I assume they do try to call it much earlier now, cos the city game was called off really early last week.

Fuck off, as if it's that. Most fans would go fucking mental if there was no Xmas football. It's boss.

Sky doesn't make loads of money in that two week period anyway, it's the front two weeks of December that counts.

We're the only decent league that does it, and it must make some revenue, otherwise amazon wouldn't have spunked all that money on boxing day. And there's zero reason for as many games at there is in that 2 week spell
People will kick off, but fuck em. It's not about them.

Don't think so, cos I remember a game being called off an hour or so before kick off at Anfield due to really heavy fog that rolled in.

Tbf though I assume they do try to call it much earlier now, cos the city game was called off really early last week.
Pretty sure that was against arsenal...midweek in the cup? Definitely arsenal. Was when I was a steward

Christmas footy is boss. They should’ve had it the first weekend in the new year.
Tbf they can't possibly get it right except through sheer luck, cos the English weather is utterly unpredictable.

They could do a three week winter break over December & then find the next weeks games end up being cancelled due to poor weather.

We're the only decent league that does it, and it must make some revenue, otherwise amazon wouldn't have spunked all that money on boxing day. And there's zero reason for as many games at there is in that 2 week spell
People will kick off, but fuck em. It's not about them.

It fucking well is about people. Sky do not give a single FUCK about games over the festive period really. Neither do Amazon, because they don't even have any fucking ads. That's about subscription.

The love of Xmas football is entirely driven by the fact that the fans are off work for a bit, and love getting pissed up and watching football when they are on their break from work, wearing Santa Hats and singing the 'Merry Xmas, Everton' song

That's why there has always been so many festive games. Broadcasters like Sky wouldn't be that arsed to push for more, because they can more easily monetise games in October, and need to inflate the January market somehow.

Tbf they can't possibly get it right except through sheer luck, cos the English weather is utterly unpredictable.

They could do a three week winter break over December & then find the next weeks games end up being cancelled due to poor weather.

I fully agree about the weather. We could have snow early March if we’re really unlucky. I think the first weekend is the best time to have a break. Scrap the league cup and pull forward the start of the FA cup.

Yep. You’d need to be on the 10:51, or earlier, train from Lime street.

I was thinking driving, but yeah that train journey is a fucking nightmare.

I should know this given I went to university near there and did the journey on train and road and hundred times. Plus factor in beers before kick-off in some Wicker Man pub

I'm talking driving too. It used to take me forever. Mind you, this was a zillion years ago when I had the dubious pleasure of DJing for an hour in raves in Great Yarmouth or Kings Lynn, with a 14 hour round trip.

I was thinking driving, but yeah that train journey is a fucking nightmare.

I should know this given I went to university near there and did the journey on train and road and hundred times. Plus factor in beers before kick-off in some Wicker Man pub

After 3 years of dealing with the M6 every other weekend I automatically think of ways to travel to avoid that shit.

I fully agree about the weather. We could have snow early March if we’re really unlucky. I think the first weekend is the best time to have a break. Scrap the league cup and pull forward the start of the FA cup.
Luke was born on 7th April. It was fucking snowing that morning. In April. Yet we've also had a bbq in April a few years ago for his birthday. It's mental.

It fucking well is about people. Sky do not give a single FUCK about games over the festive period really. Neither do Amazon, because they don't even have any fucking ads. That's about subscription.

The love of Xmas football is entirely driven by the fact that the fans are off work for a bit, and love getting pissed up and watching football when they are on their break from work, wearing Santa Hats and singing the 'Merry Xmas, Everton' song

That's why there has always been so many festive games. Broadcasters like Sky wouldn't be that arsed to push for more, because they can more easily monetise games in October, and need to inflate the January market somehow.

They wouldn't push for more games at Christmas because it's impossible to get any more games in at Christmas

And what you on about? Sky and Amazon aren't arsed about the Christmas games because they won't make money? Subscribers to Amazon prime (I'd imagine) would have gone up, sky advertise the living shit out of games at Christmas time.

Fans love Christmas games, and sky and Amazon exploit that and your a fucking rube if you don't think that

The premier League, if they care about the actual players rather than money (they don't) would reduce the workload at that time

Why do you think they pushed for Friday night games? For the fans? Like fuck. So they can line their pockets

If shit was for the fans they would make sure boxing day and new years day games were against local sides. Not away to Leicester. Not like Newcastle the other year travelling the breadth of the country.

No, no, no. The love of Xmas games is driven by what fans want. Always has been.

Sky are a subs and ad business. The ad business in the back two weeks of December isn't much of a thing, so the audience they get after 20th December isn't as easy to monetise then. They love the whole Xmas fixture frenzy but that exists despite them, not because they push for it.

TV ad pricing drops like a stone after 14th December, and is in the toilet in January too.

As for fixtures, well, they don't give a fuck about who plays where geographically, and nor can they unduly influence it.

Summing up, the Xmas fixture list is driven almost entirely by the fact WE want it, not Sky or Amazon. And long may it continue.

And I'm not a 'rube', I fucking work in advertising, and know what TV ratings cost by month. December average station price is entirely dictated by the first two weeks of investment; the last two is fuck all, but they love it becaus it drives subs, because we want to watch Football over Xmas, and always have.

This is not a big business paranoia, and them dictating fixtures. In this very specific case, it's because fans fucking love festive football, and always have, so they're giving fans what they want.

And long may it continue.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that was against arsenal...midweek in the cup? Definitely arsenal. Was when I was a steward

Arsenal in the league cup. I know because I had gone over for the game and it was called off an hour before. Gutted. Great night out though.

Arsenal in the league cup. I know because I had gone over for the game and it was called off an hour before. Gutted. Great night out though.
It's when we were due to play them twice in a week, and that was when baptista took the piss out of us and scored all the goals

Some Twitter chat suggesting winds not that bad and game is '100% on'

Hmmm, I hope so, but it would be awful if it was a leveller and we suffered because of it

Some Twitter chat suggesting winds not that bad and game is '100% on'

Hmmm, I hope so, but it would be awful if it was a leveller and we suffered because of it

The wind doesn't look like much fun in the Southampton match though, & it's forecast to get worse as the day goes on, I can't help but think it's gonna be a horrific game, what with us coming off a break & how poor we usually are (relatively speaking) after a break, & how poor we are (again, relatively speaking) when it's dead windy.

Yep, the wind is affecting this Southampton game, taking the ball from players feet & causing passing mistakes etc. Fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom