• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Oh no Joe - Gomez injured on England duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
No damage to his ACL at all. It's the best we could have hoped for in the circumstances.
I read elsewhere that he had ruptured the patella ligament which is seemingly worse that doing an ACL.
It was apparently what Owen Hargraves did and also Robbie Brady.
Neither were the same player afterwards.
All this from the usual unreliable sources though.

I read elsewhere that he had ruptured the patella ligament which is seemingly worse that doing an ACL.
Close. Patellar Tendon Rupture

Which also explains the 'pop' sound that Coady apparently heard

I did this while playing footy a while back. Similar situation as well by the sounds of it, no one touched me I felt a pop and over I went. No control over lower leg without it, so unlike Van Dijk he wouldnt have been able to walk. Surgery is needed asap to avoid scar tissue building up.

Although Gomes will have far better care and attention, it was still 12 months for me before being able to 'resume sporting activities'

Actually that's what I read elsewhere but I couldn't be arsed gong back and finding what the exact injury was and so paraphrased instead.
When it was reported that it looked ugly I assumed that it was the patella.
It doesn't sound good either way.

I just hope United do us a favour and knock of RB Leipzig so we can sign Konate or Upamecano.

And I hope of Jan 1st. we announce the signing of 1, if not 2, CBs. No messing around.

Until then, we just have to hope we stay within 5 points of the leaders.

Yes, no changes until the knock-out stages, the only emergency exception is for goalkeepers.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsl...-to-know-champions-league-group-stage-squads/

They're fucking idiots. You get a goalkeeper who probably won't get a game anyway and you can replace him if he gets injured (presumably from sitting on a splinter), and yet you can't replace crocked outfield players. They revised the number of subs for this season, and yet those twats ignore this issue. I hope the next time they stage one of those ridicuous Eurovision-style bore-a-thon CL events, the fecking glitter ball lands on one of their heads!

I did this while playing footy a while back. Similar situation as well by the sounds of it, no one touched me I felt a pop and over I went. No control over lower leg without it, so unlike Van Dijk he wouldnt have been able to walk. Surgery is needed asap to avoid scar tissue building up.

Although Gomes will have far better care and attention, it was still 12 months for me before being able to 'resume sporting activities'

Mirror and Maddock reporting that the rehabilitation will be at least 6 months, and that he can start running again in about 3 months.
Brady was out for 8 months, and Forster 10 months with similar injuries.

Mirror and Maddock reporting that the rehabilitation will be at least 6 months, and that he can start running again in about 3 months.

If he's torn the tendon then the recovery will be less and could see him back before end of season. Mine fully came off the bone and my knee cap ended up 6 inches higher up my leg than it should have been. If he has done the same he wont be back until next season

If he's torn the tendon then the recovery will be less and could see him back before end of season. Mine fully came off the bone and my knee cap ended up 6 inches higher up my leg than it should have been. If he has done the same he wont be back until next season

Lets hope for the first scenario. The second one doesnt sound good at all :/

And Hargreaves wasn't the same either as Count said above.

It's a bad one.

Reading the quotes from Hargreaves sounds very similar. Sprint training in his case and it went pop.

And Hargreaves wasn't the same either as Count said above.

It's a bad one.

Reading the quotes from Hargreaves sounds very similar. Sprint training in his case and it went pop.

Lets hope its torn, not ruptured. At least the surgery was a success so hopefully he can make a speedy recovery.

We are gonna end up playing Milner and Adrian at centre back in the champions league final at this rate.

Lets hope its torn, not ruptured. At least the surgery was a success so hopefully he can make a speedy recovery.
Yeah I just read the Hargreaves one fully.

He didn't have surgery on it and suffered it playing for Bayern, joined Utd in the summer and the Utd medical team kept giving him injections through his first season.

Hargreaves actually sounds bitter towards the Utd medical team and thinks that's why he only played about 20 games in 3 years after that before retiring, obviously we are ten years down the line so fingers crossed.

Shit

Yeah I just read the Hargreaves one fully.

He didn't have surgery on it and suffered it playing for Bayern, joined Utd in the summer and the Utd medical team kept giving him injections through his first season.

Hargreaves actually sounds bitter towards the Utd medical team and thinks that's why he only played about 20 games in 3 years after that before retiring, obviously we are ten years down the line so fingers crossed.

I don't want to treat it lightly, but for balance we should note that Hargreaves' injury (a) was 12 years ago, and surgery and rehab in football has improved quite a lot since then, (b) Hargreaves didn't just have one problem with his knee(s), he had multiple ones which had been repeatedly misdiagnosed and mistreated prior to the start of successive surgeries, and (c) Richard Steadman said that Hargreaves' knees were in 'a worse state than any other' he had come across in his 35 years of experience. So let's not make too close a comparison.

I don't want to treat it lightly, but for balance we should note that Hargreaves' injury (a) was 12 years ago, and surgery and rehab in football has improved quite a lot since then, (b) Hargreaves didn't just have one problem with his knee(s), he had multiple ones which had been repeatedly misdiagnosed and mistreated prior to the start of successive surgeries, and (c) Richard Steadman said that Hargreaves' knees were in 'a worse state than any other' he had come across in his 35 years of experience. So let's not make too close a comparison.
Thanks GK. That's what I was referring to. Hargreaves knee went pop, but the Bayern and Man Utd medical teams both didn't choose to operate. Utd chose to treat it with injections, which Hargreaves said both made it worse and probably curtailed his career significantly.

Gomez has gone straight for surgery which can only be a good thing.

Gomez always felt “too good to be true” in a weird way. Signed without any fuss for £3M I think, English, fairly intelligent, quietly going about his business, borderline world-class when on form - what kind of lottery do you have to win do get all this in one package? There had to be a downside and I guess his injuries are it...

Last edited:

I suspect it is the patella tendon, the one that connects his quad muscles to the lower front leg. If not that it is one of his hamstring tendons at back of leg. Either way, tendon injuries are slow and need specific rehab in terms of loading the tendon appropriately at the right times. I suspect he will be 12-16 weeks at best maybe even longer

Gomez always felt “too good to be true” in a weird way. Signed without any fuss for £3M I think, English, fairly intelligent, quietly going about his business, borderline world-class when on form - what kind of lottery do you have to win do get all this? There had to be a downside and I guess his injuries are it...

I almost liked this post, but I'm not giving up hope yet. There was a time when I would have said those exact words about Gerrard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom